Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 179046 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #560 on: February 11, 2017, 05:17:16 pm »
The promise of winter training in New York seems to have really inspired the Sunderland players

"It gives the players something to look forward to and they need a bit of a break. We’re going to watch basketball and ice hockey and all go to Ground Zero so, culturally, I hope to educate the boys as well."

"and the psychology behind going somewhere so cold is that when we come back we’ll think Sunderland is Dubai."

shite manager, worse psychologist/meteorologist, patronising c*nt

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #561 on: February 13, 2017, 01:57:51 am »

Gerrard:

“I look at the Sunderland team and think if you take Defoe out of that it’s a bang average Championship team, let alone a Premier League one."

;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #562 on: February 13, 2017, 02:37:05 am »
When they go down, which seems inevitable now barring a miracle, next season could be a tough experience for them. They won't get much for their best player (Defoe) due to his age and I doubt they'd get close or more than they wanted Everton to pay for Kone. Someone will take Pickford, the on loan Lens and Kirchhoff, but there is very little to sell beyond that. Plus you have an owner who has clearly tired of having to dip into his pocket, a manager who seemingly has waited for a payoff since the first week he started there and a club culture that has been criticized in the past for being decidely unprofessional

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: February 13, 2017, 02:45:47 am »
The only players of Sunderland's that I can see other Premier League clubs signing are Defoe, Pickford and Ndong the rest of them are midtable Championship level dross.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #564 on: February 13, 2017, 02:54:42 am »
I can't see too many clubs wanting N'Dong despite his recent improved play. Lorient were amazed someone would pay so much for him.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: February 13, 2017, 05:39:55 am »
They'll be fine when they go down because they have a proven British manager with championship experience and grit. Would have been worse if they had some foreign guy in charge who didn't know the championship like Newcastle did.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: February 13, 2017, 05:45:58 am »
They'll be fine when they go down because they have a proven British manager with championship experience and grit. Would have been worse if they had some foreign guy in charge who didn't know the championship like Newcastle did.

Am sure he'll stick around for the long term too. Because he's a fighter. Like when he joined Sunderland and said 'basically guys, expect relegation'.

All his pals and british sycophants in football here keep saying he's not been supported by the club/owners. To be honest, that enough would make me want to sell a club. Gollum was given the best part of ten million to sign Gibson and Oviedo from Everton's physio bench - if that's not a statement of support, what is?

It's the equivalent of saying 'I'm not entirely sure you have all of your critical faculties, or that you're making healthy life choices, but I'm still going to give you the money you want anyway'.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #567 on: February 13, 2017, 02:41:11 pm »

When they go down, which seems inevitable now barring a miracle, next season could be a tough experience for them. They won't get much for their best player (Defoe) due to his age and I doubt they'd get close or more than they wanted Everton to pay for Kone. Someone will take Pickford, the on loan Lens and Kirchhoff, but there is very little to sell beyond that. Plus you have an owner who has clearly tired of having to dip into his pocket, a manager who seemingly has waited for a payoff since the first week he started there and a club culture that has been criticized in the past for being decidely unprofessional

Defoe has a clause to walk away for free in case of relegation

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
« Reply #568 on: February 13, 2017, 02:58:02 pm »
These are the vile shit that simply will not flush and they'll stay up! I've backed it and it's a bet that I'll happily lose!

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #569 on: February 13, 2017, 03:00:42 pm »
In the last few years they stayed up because at the very end of the season they understood how to keep other teams out while lucking their way into a goal because they have a finisher like Defoe. I think they might just luck their way out of relegation again. But if they go down, they will stay there for years.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: February 13, 2017, 05:12:24 pm »
In the last few years they stayed up because at the very end of the season they understood how to keep other teams out while lucking their way into a goal because they have a finisher like Defoe. I think they might just luck their way out of relegation again. But if they go down, they will stay there for years.
They've always done it with a change of manager. No way Gollum keeps them up.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: February 13, 2017, 05:30:23 pm »
These are the vile shit that simply will not flush and they'll stay up! I've backed it and it's a bet that I'll happily lose!

Why vile shit? I'm curious

Yeah Davey is manger but that's not a real reason to hate them so much.

Personally I've always enjoyed it up there, Win lose or draw their fans always seemed ok and had a good drink in town with them after without incident.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: February 13, 2017, 05:52:39 pm »
The only players of Sunderland's that I can see other Premier League clubs signing are Defoe, Pickford and Ndong the rest of them are midtable Championship level dross.
Lamine Kone without question.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: February 13, 2017, 05:54:59 pm »
I'd take Pickford with Migs probably be gone in the summer.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: February 13, 2017, 06:30:58 pm »
"It gives the players something to look forward to and they need a bit of a break. We’re going to watch basketball and ice hockey and all go to Ground Zero so, culturally, I hope to educate the boys as well."

"and the psychology behind going somewhere so cold is that when we come back we’ll think Sunderland is Dubai."

shite manager, worse psychologist/meteorologist, patronising c*nt
Dubai, REALLY!

I just about laughed my cock off at that one   :)

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: February 13, 2017, 07:02:50 pm »

Aston Villa Mk. 2

And I am very OK with that
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: February 13, 2017, 07:07:26 pm »
I guess that Januzaj aka the next Messi didn't really work out well for them.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #577 on: February 13, 2017, 07:07:53 pm »
Why vile shit? I'm curious

Yeah Davey is manger but that's not a real reason to hate them so much.

Personally I've always enjoyed it up there, Win lose or draw their fans always seemed ok and had a good drink in town with them after without incident.

He's a Newcastle fan, mate. Don't think I have to say anything else. :D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: February 13, 2017, 07:16:31 pm »
He's a Newcastle fan, mate. Don't think I have to say anything else. :D

ahhhh i see

Sorry Paully. Fully understand now :)

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #579 on: February 14, 2017, 09:06:07 am »
They've always done it with a change of manager. No way Gollum keeps them up.

I think a lot of it also has to do about how their rivals are set up:

- Swansea have a good squad and with Paul Clement a very good manager, but they need to get the points now because I don't know if they have the steel needed for relegation dogfights from Matchday 33 onwards.

- Leicester have a good squad and with Ranieri an experienced manager, that said he might not be there for much longer. Leicester definitely should survive, but at the moment the players are in such a rut they find ways to lose games they should win. A shakeup of management set-up might just do the trick though.

- Crystal Palace have probably the best squad from all the relegation scrappers, they should be comfortably in midtable. With Allardici they have one of the most successful relegation battle managers.

- Hull City have probably the weakest squad, but have new life under their new manager. But that might be short-lived, I personally think that after their purple patch of form they will smack back to earth, and hard. I see them going down for sure.

- Middlesborough have a weak squad, but have grinded out wins by a dogged defence. The question for them is: who scores the goals? There might be more 0-0 draws on the horizon for them and as soon as they actually do concede, they lose. The next match vs Crystal Palace is already very important. Aitor Karanka doesn't have the PL experience of other relegation battlers and as mentioned before no goalscorers. I can see them going down, especially if they don't fix their impotency in front of goal.

- Bournemouth have their problems at the moment, but I think there are enough goals in their team to get some wins which will put them to safety. They have to fix their defence and I think with Howe they have a decent enough manager to just survive.

Which leaves us with Sunderland: I'd say they have the second weakest squad (better than Hull, worse than Middlesborough), but to their great advantage have a proven goalscorer and an experienced manager. For me they have to fix the consistency in their defending, then they can survive. In the last five games they have conceded 9, while getting two cleansheets. Considering their rivals for relegation, I think they will drop this time around... Leicester, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Swansea have better players, better systems and have a better management set-up.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: March 13, 2017, 01:50:34 pm »
He heh    ;D

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #581 on: March 13, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2017, 04:52:20 pm »
Seee yaaaaaa!!  :wave

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #583 on: March 18, 2017, 04:54:05 pm »
Seee yaaaaaa!!  :wave

Yep done. They've only scored in one of their last seven games (that was when they put four past Palace). They haven't won at home since mid-December.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: March 20, 2017, 01:25:03 pm »
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoryFallow/status/843752866670170112

Molesey going on about the Britishness that his team needs. Pretty sure he's having a full break down.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: March 20, 2017, 01:34:28 pm »
"Britishness". Fuck sake.  ;D What a c*nt that man is.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: March 20, 2017, 01:53:42 pm »
They need to get rid and pray someone gives them a quick bounce.

They seriously can't just stick with him can they?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #587 on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:05 pm »
Moyesie like a bit of Evertonness in his team as well.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:43 pm »
They need to get rid and pray someone gives them a quick bounce.

They seriously can't just stick with him can they?

Indeed, it's amazing he's still there, they are just letting the weeks fly past while keeping a coward who couldn't motivate anyone in charge. They've only scored in 1 of their last 8 games and they desperately need wins, it's strange.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: March 20, 2017, 07:55:54 pm »
Doesn't look like the annual relegation escape is on the cards this year. Can see them having an even worse season than Villa in the Championship next season.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #590 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:25 pm »
They are done. Moyes has been waiting for his payout since the second week he was there

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: March 21, 2017, 07:56:29 am »
So how British is Irishman Darron Gibson?

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: March 21, 2017, 08:18:14 am »
So how British is Irishman Darron Gibson?

As far from British as you could imagine.

Sick of losing points to these c*nts and they then get relegated.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: March 21, 2017, 09:03:55 am »
Doesn't look like the annual relegation escape is on the cards this year. Can see them having an even worse season than Villa in the Championship next season.
I actually think they'll do all right. Koné, Pickford and Defoe will go but they have a bunch of players that are probably robust and good enough to form the basis of a decent Championship team. Maybe the likes of Borini and Anichebe will finally discover where the goal is once they go down a level. Villa were a blend of useless French youngsters and veterans who clearly couldn't care less, they were always going to struggle.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2017, 11:18:11 am »
I'd disagree. Given their players only like showing up for a few months, I think they will be in a shock in the Championship. It's also quite an old squad which like Villa's has few pieces to sell in order to kickstart a rebuild:

Mannone (29)
Jones (30 this week)
Djilobodji (28)
Lescott (35 in August)
O'Shea (36 in April)
Kone (28)
Cattermole (29)
Larsson (32 in June)
Pienaar (35)
Gibson (30 in October)
Anichebe (29 in April)
Defoe (35 in October)

They also have all the classic hallmarks of "bigger" sides that go down: years of managerial merry-go-round, frequent relegation escapes, a lack of homegrown player development, a massive gap in player ages with little quality in-between the older and less experienced etc.

Couple that with a manager waiting for his payoff, the overreliance on a soon-to-be-gone  player in his mid-30s to score goals and an owner who is seemingly no longer willing to simply open his chequebook and a reported culture of unprofessionalism. I think without a massive shift in mindset and recruitment/development philosophy Sunderland could be down for a few seasons

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #595 on: March 21, 2017, 11:20:43 am »
They've got an absolutely turgid squad. But wee Davey isn't blameless in that - he did his usual dithering in the transfer market, then panicked and bought absolute shite in January. Doesn't help that Ndong is useless and so are the rest of his signings.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #596 on: March 21, 2017, 11:26:33 am »
Everytime I see Ndong, I have to laugh at how Lorient gloriously played them and couldn't believe someone would pay that amount for him.

So according to Lorient's President, Sunderland paid €20m, plus add-ons for Ndong. If true, that's about £3m more than Sunderland have claimed. The player's salary increases 10 to 12 times higher than it was at Lorient. It sounds like they also bid four times for him from €12m to €20m.

The fee is half of Lorient's operating budget for an entire season and is more than Dortmund spent on Dembele. Hilariously, given Sunderland's relegation woes, Lorient also felt it was a good time to sell because Ndong was likely going to the African Cup of Nations and therefore they couldn't rely on him for portions of the season.

And then of course, they left M'Vila in Heathrow, who wanted to accelerate a permanent move back to Sunderland rather than joining in January, only to not bother calling him. He opted to re-sign with Rubin Kazan instead
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:30:26 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: March 21, 2017, 02:51:55 pm »
a sunderland thread started by rafathegaffa.
the irony
bollocks

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: March 21, 2017, 05:59:29 pm »
They've got an absolutely turgid squad. But wee Davey isn't blameless in that - he did his usual dithering in the transfer market, then panicked and bought absolute shite in January. Doesn't help that Ndong is useless and so are the rest of his signings.
A competent manager would've kept them up. A goalscorer is the most important piece in a relegation scrap, and in Defoe they have the best one outside the top 7. Moyes had good players like Khazri whom he never used and replaced with inexperienced shite like Jazzyjizz, Watmore and Gooch. He also sold Kaboul and bought Djilobdji who is absolutely gash.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: March 21, 2017, 06:20:59 pm »
If Defoe wants out at Sunderland, I would have him here at Newcastle, no worries.