Author Topic: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares  (Read 301870 times)

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
Re: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 11:09:50 pm »
Is there a deadline to get the stadium started to obtain the grants that were approved ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 12:35:13 am »
So the debt is £350 million then?

I suggest you ask ttnbd.

He gets the published accounts and that was his thread on the subject.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 01:10:08 am »
I suggest you ask ttnbd.

He gets the published accounts and that was his thread on the subject.

Not sure they have been issued just yet have they 4pool ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2009, 08:24:59 am »
Is there a deadline to get the stadium started to obtain the grants that were approved ?

I thought we lost the grant ages ago because they never started the build as promised. I believe it was allocated elsewhere, the grant, that is.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2009, 08:53:18 am »
He has debt outstanding on both of them. Debt to value ratio is 65% on the Rangers and 73% on the Stars.

Some people on the other thread were arguing that Hicks would not have debts against his other assets when we were trying to assess his wealth. This gives a totally different picture. In fact, I would think the debt to value ratio has increased, in that that was compiled just before the world economy collapsed. Unlikely he paid off the loans before then, given that he has chosen to keep debt high on two outfits he has owned for a long time. The value of both will have decreased markedly, not just in terms of the value of the buildings/grounds, but because the fans are staying away now. the only thing I'm unclear on is whether Forbes, when they assess that he is worth £688m today, have already taken into account this debt? It's hard to see how, though, given that his other companies have been wound down or haven't invested in any business at all.

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 09:20:29 am »
Some people on the other thread were arguing that Hicks would not have debts against his other assets when we were trying to assess his wealth. This gives a totally different picture. In fact, I would think the debt to value ratio has increased, in that that was compiled just before the world economy collapsed. Unlikely he paid off the loans before then, given that he has chosen to keep debt high on two outfits he has owned for a long time. The value of both will have decreased markedly, not just in terms of the value of the buildings/grounds, but because the fans are staying away now. the only thing I'm unclear on is whether Forbes, when they assess that he is worth £688m today, have already taken into account this debt? It's hard to see how, though, given that his other companies have been wound down or haven't invested in any business at all.

Sounds like they are looking at the current value of his total assets and may well be ignoring the amount leveraged. We know Forbes tend to exaggerate upwards.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:31 am »
Sounds like they are looking at the current value of his total assets and may well be ignoring the amount leveraged. We know Forbes tend to exaggerate upwards.

The debt ratio given by Forbes also includes debt for the stadium doesn't it? Although the Texan taxpayers paid for most of the cost, there's still a hefty chunk which had to come from the teams (googling gives it as a rough 40% of the cost paid for by the teams, and roughly half the debt which Forbes mentions).
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2009, 10:02:19 am »
I was thinking last night that Hicks appeared to have a ready made investor in Nolan Ryan for the Rangers giving that he's invested already in two other franchises although they're affiliated with another team and is the Rangers club president. He'd also be a popualr owner but this article seems to suggest it's not that cut and dried. Still it wouldn't surprise me if he did end up as a minority investor.

How about a Nolan Ryan-Tom Hicks partnership?

It’s not the first time the possibility of Ryan becoming a minority partner in the Rangers’ franchise has come up. Hicks first mentioned it when he offered Ryan the club presidency more than a year ago.

"Tom said if I had an interest in purchasing an interest in the club, he thought we might be able to work something out," Ryan said. "At the time, I didn’t push it at all.

The "appropriate time" is just another of the complications that’s involved here. Others include whether Ryan would be satisfied as a minority owner and, most importantly, the price.

The latter will depend greatly on exactly what Hicks intends to sell. Is it just an interest in the ballclub — Ryan has no interest in the Dallas Stars, where Hicks is also looking for minority investors — or will it include The Ballpark in Arlington and the real estate around the park that Hicks also owns?

Those are questions that the two men haven’t discussed in detail yet, but there’s talk on the street that Hicks is putting a price tag on the franchise somewhere north of half a billion dollars. And maybe pretty far north.

No wonder Ryan is waiting to see whether any other serious investors step up to the plate. There apparently already have been a lot of tire kickers. But once they hear the price, they disappear quicker than cold beer at a frat party.

"There hasn’t been anybody that I know that’s come close to buying in yet, but there’s been a lot of interest," Ryan said. "If there was going to be a deal put together, I’d have an opportunity to invest at that time if I wanted to."

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1282350.html

Does anyone else think the price seems a bit steep if that rumour is true. Forbes had it valued at $412 million last year. Will it have gone up in this economic climate?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:03:52 am by RedJam70 »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2009, 10:06:13 am »
No.
Do we detect a pattern?

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2009, 10:09:43 am »
Do we detect a pattern?

Could be we do.  ;D

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2009, 10:20:52 am »
Could be we do.  ;D

He likes talking in billions, doesn't he, ;D whatever fraction of a billion. Never likes to talk in millions.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2009, 02:22:03 pm »
Not sure they have been issued just yet have they 4pool ?

Tim could answer but I don't think so either.

Generally come out near the end of the season or early summer I think. And of course are a year behind.

So we'll see what info ttnbd gleans from the next set of reports.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2009, 02:22:13 pm »
I thought we lost the grant ages ago because they never started the build as promised. I believe it was allocated elsewhere, the grant, that is.

Thats correct. The NWDA money is gone, plus there was EU money also I think.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2009, 02:57:15 pm »
Tim could answer but I don't think so either.

Generally come out near the end of the season or early summer I think. And of course are a year behind.

So we'll see what info ttnbd gleans from the next set of reports.

Will be very intersting to read , I got the Mrs to email the offy and they replied saying they will be released " shortly " . . . .

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2009, 02:57:50 pm »
Thats correct. The NWDA money is gone, plus there was EU money also I think.

What a pair of fuckin wasters.  >:(

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 07:24:25 pm »
this is inaccurate.

it is not one loan secured against the clubs assets.

the loan has been explained before here:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=209084.0

£105m is against the club.

£245m is against Kop Holding Ltd.

not forgetting that £64m from Kop has been lent to LFC as a loan.

Hicks also invests on behalf of two other families, so it's not all his, if you read the info available on his own websites.
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:17 pm »
this is inaccurate.

it is not one loan secured against the clubs assets.

the loan has been explained before here:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=209084.0

£105m is against the club.

£245m is against Kop Holding Ltd.

I was replying to a question 'what if Hicks was prepared to pay his half of the loan off and Gillet wasn't'?

Obviously the loan isn't financed in this way.

Anyway, even if it's two loans against 'the club' and 'kop holdings' the fact is the total is still owed to the bank and the total is against the club's assets, as has been posted many times.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2009, 11:42:55 pm »
I was replying to a question 'what if Hicks was prepared to pay his half of the loan off and Gillet wasn't'?

Obviously the loan isn't financed in this way.

Anyway, even if it's two loans against 'the club' and 'kop holdings' the fact is the total is still owed to the bank and the total is against the club's assets, as has been posted many times.

You didn't read the link did you?

No bank would loan 350 mil against "the Club" whos total assets were barely worth 100 mil.

Read the link and the explaination by ttnbd on the loan, the Rawk financial guru.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2009, 10:04:52 am »
You didn't read the link did you?

No bank would loan 350 mil against "the Club" whos total assets were barely worth 100 mil.

Read the link and the explaination by ttnbd on the loan, the Rawk financial guru.

I've read all the speculation thanks.  From many posters, including your appointed 'financial guru'.  First line within his 'conclusion' reads, 'the club is likely going to have to pay the debt of the holding company'.  What other assets does 'Kop Holding' have?

The debt is secured against the club assets.  There may be a small amount against Hicks and Gillet personally, but the vast majority is against the club assets.

Where does your £100m come from? A few player sales would generate that alone.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:08:38 am by TSC »

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 11:51:22 am »
Oceans apart - the fans who feel betrayed by Tom Hicks and George Gillett
Mar 28 2009 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

I NEVER like reading about Tom Hicks in the paper anymore,” wrote the sports fan to an online blog. “If I were him and hated as much by so many as he is, I wouldn't like to read about me either.”

The angry missive did not appear on an English website and it was not penned by a Liverpool fan, it was featured on the homepages of the Dallas Morning News and was sent in by a fan of the Texas Rangers, another “sports franchise” owned by Hicks.

No reason was given for the enmity, the author simply expected his views to be part of a consensus which would be understood by all those who follow the Rangers.

A blog written by one of the Morning News’ top sports writers gave one indication why there is so much disquiet about Hicks, having learned the Rangers owner is to cut $20m from the baseball outfit’s annual payroll.

“What would another $20 million do to the Texas Rangers payroll?” pondered blogger Jim Reeves.

“Wait a minute, don’t get the wrong idea. I’m not talking about adding another $20 million. I’m talking about subtracting it.

“According to multiple sources, and confirmed by the man himself, that’s exactly what Rangers owner Tom Hicks would like to do, not for this season but for 2010, and I can tell you what slicing another $20 million from his team’s already below-average payroll would do.

“It might just incite a riot among an already restless and frustrated Rangers fandom.”

At least Liverpool fans know that they are not alone.

Over in Montreal, the natives are similarly restless following George Gillett’s decision to engage in some “estate planning” which supporters of the much loved Canadiens ice hockey team fear could lead to the sale of one of sport’s most famous names.

Gillett is irritated by the fact that his financial pruning has become so public, insisting: “I am not used to this kind of attention, and this kind of impoliteness. I am really offended by it, because it really is truly private.”

Which is odd, because just 48 hours earlier Canadiens president and Gillett ally Pierre Bolvin had ignited media interest by issuing an official statement saying: “The Gillett family has retained the services of financial advisers in order to assess various strategic alternatives to optimise the value of its corporate assets."

So much for it being “truly private”.

But what are Liverpool fans to make of events Stateside?

Well this week, we have learned that as well as asking George W Bush to throw the opening pitch of the Rangers’ season, Hicks is looking for investment in his baseball team.

We also know that Gillett’s estate planning is likely to result in minority investors – or perhaps even outright buyers – taking a stake in one or more of his franchises.

In short, the duo are looking to cut costs and increase revenue and are doing it at exactly the same time. Anyone would think they have a major refinancing deadline to meet in just four months time.

As ever, it is their motives which remain unclear though. Are they looking down the back of their sofas for loose change in a bid to ensure they can convince the banks to continue with the massive £350m loan which allows them to be owners of Liverpool?

Or is it a public attempt to convince anyone looking to buy the Reds at a knockdown price, that they have the means to get through the refinancing process?

Both insist they are not interested in selling but both have instructed rival leading banks to seek out potential investment in Liverpool and it is widely believed that Merrill Lynch and Rothschilds have discussed a total sale of the club with more than one party.

Furthermore, it was less than a year ago that Hicks and Gillett came within two hours of selling Liverpool to the Al-Kharafi family only for the wealthy Kuwaitis to walk away from the negotiating table without any explanation.

This happened at a time when the American duo were similarly adamant that Liverpool was not for sale and the secrecy surrounding the proposed deal with the Al-Kharafis was so great that the talks took place without the knowledge of Reds chief executive Rick Parry, who denied any such negotiations were taking place.

The talks may have collapsed but a price had been agreed which suggests that Hicks and Gillett are willing to sell but, in the words of the late Leslie Crowther, only when the price is right.

It remains to be seen whether any of Liverpool’s potential suitors are willing to meet that price and unless they do it seems that Hicks and Gillett will be able to continue insisting that they won’t be selling.

But one thing’s for sure, newspaper buyers on both sides of the Atlantic had best get used to reading about Tom Hicks because the Texan is going to continue to be big news in the months to come.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/03/28/oceans-apart-the-fans-who-feel-betrayed-by-tom-hicks-and-george-gillett-100252-23249618/

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 12:11:21 pm »
I've read all the speculation thanks.  From many posters, including your appointed 'financial guru'.  First line within his 'conclusion' reads, 'the club is likely going to have to pay the debt of the holding company'.  What other assets does 'Kop Holding' have?

The debt is secured against the club assets.  There may be a small amount against Hicks and Gillet personally, but the vast majority is against the club assets.

Where does your £100m come from? A few player sales would generate that alone.

Wrong actually.  £185m is secured against personal assets.  That's half of the full facility, not the vast minority.  That's the full purchase consideration (and associated costs).  The only debt that is secured on the club is debt incurred by the club.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2009, 12:23:03 pm »
Oceans apart - the fans who feel betrayed by Tom Hicks and George Gillett
Mar 28 2009 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

I NEVER like reading about Tom Hicks in the paper anymore,” wrote the sports fan to an online blog. “If I were him and hated as much by so many as he is, I wouldn't like to read about me either.”

The angry missive did not appear on an English website and it was not penned by a Liverpool fan, it was featured on the homepages of the Dallas Morning News and was sent in by a fan of the Texas Rangers, another “sports franchise” owned by Hicks.

No reason was given for the enmity, the author simply expected his views to be part of a consensus which would be understood by all those who follow the Rangers.

A blog written by one of the Morning News’ top sports writers gave one indication why there is so much disquiet about Hicks, having learned the Rangers owner is to cut $20m from the baseball outfit’s annual payroll.

“What would another $20 million do to the Texas Rangers payroll?” pondered blogger Jim Reeves.

“Wait a minute, don’t get the wrong idea. I’m not talking about adding another $20 million. I’m talking about subtracting it.

“According to multiple sources, and confirmed by the man himself, that’s exactly what Rangers owner Tom Hicks would like to do, not for this season but for 2010, and I can tell you what slicing another $20 million from his team’s already below-average payroll would do.

“It might just incite a riot among an already restless and frustrated Rangers fandom.”

At least Liverpool fans know that they are not alone.

Over in Montreal, the natives are similarly restless following George Gillett’s decision to engage in some “estate planning” which supporters of the much loved Canadiens ice hockey team fear could lead to the sale of one of sport’s most famous names.

Gillett is irritated by the fact that his financial pruning has become so public, insisting: “I am not used to this kind of attention, and this kind of impoliteness. I am really offended by it, because it really is truly private.”

Which is odd, because just 48 hours earlier Canadiens president and Gillett ally Pierre Bolvin had ignited media interest by issuing an official statement saying: “The Gillett family has retained the services of financial advisers in order to assess various strategic alternatives to optimise the value of its corporate assets."

So much for it being “truly private”.

But what are Liverpool fans to make of events Stateside?

Well this week, we have learned that as well as asking George W Bush to throw the opening pitch of the Rangers’ season, Hicks is looking for investment in his baseball team.

We also know that Gillett’s estate planning is likely to result in minority investors – or perhaps even outright buyers – taking a stake in one or more of his franchises.

In short, the duo are looking to cut costs and increase revenue and are doing it at exactly the same time. Anyone would think they have a major refinancing deadline to meet in just four months time.

As ever, it is their motives which remain unclear though. Are they looking down the back of their sofas for loose change in a bid to ensure they can convince the banks to continue with the massive £350m loan which allows them to be owners of Liverpool?

Or is it a public attempt to convince anyone looking to buy the Reds at a knockdown price, that they have the means to get through the refinancing process?

Both insist they are not interested in selling but both have instructed rival leading banks to seek out potential investment in Liverpool and it is widely believed that Merrill Lynch and Rothschilds have discussed a total sale of the club with more than one party.

Furthermore, it was less than a year ago that Hicks and Gillett came within two hours of selling Liverpool to the Al-Kharafi family only for the wealthy Kuwaitis to walk away from the negotiating table without any explanation.

This happened at a time when the American duo were similarly adamant that Liverpool was not for sale and the secrecy surrounding the proposed deal with the Al-Kharafis was so great that the talks took place without the knowledge of Reds chief executive Rick Parry, who denied any such negotiations were taking place.

The talks may have collapsed but a price had been agreed which suggests that Hicks and Gillett are willing to sell but, in the words of the late Leslie Crowther, only when the price is right.

It remains to be seen whether any of Liverpool’s potential suitors are willing to meet that price and unless they do it seems that Hicks and Gillett will be able to continue insisting that they won’t be selling.

But one thing’s for sure, newspaper buyers on both sides of the Atlantic had best get used to reading about Tom Hicks because the Texan is going to continue to be big news in the months to come.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/03/28/oceans-apart-the-fans-who-feel-betrayed-by-tom-hicks-and-george-gillett-100252-23249618/

Scary shit The Corinthains all over again  :-\
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »
God, I hate those two bastards with every fiber of my body.. I can't wait 'till they are gone so I can go on a shopping spree on .tv's store..
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2009, 02:53:12 pm »
Wrong actually.  £185m is secured against personal assets.  That's half of the full facility, not the vast minority.  That's the full purchase consideration (and associated costs).  The only debt that is secured on the club is debt incurred by the club.

Not going to question your figures, as I'm guessing you've seen the contract detail regarding the finances.

However, since he owns the club (along with Gillet) then LFC is part of his portfolio of 'personal assets' anyway - therefore if the unlikely scnario arose where the entire loan needed to be paid back he'd need to sell the club to fund it.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »
ttntb -
Whats the annual interest on the loan?
Are G&H paying it? (I assume it wouldn't be the club).
If they are, is it at a loss to them or are they covering it from funds withdrawn from the club?

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 2, 2009, 10:27:36 am »
Lunch date between Tom Hicks, David McDavid could lead to partnership
By JIM REEVES
revo@star-telegram.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. — For most of his life, David McDavid has had an itch he’s never been quite able to scratch.

Maybe he can do that with the Texas Rangers.

While the Rangers were in the process of counting down their dwindling days in the Arizona sunshine here Tuesday, McDavid and Tom Hicks were having lunch at Hicks’ offices at The Ballpark in Arlington, the initial meeting in what could bring McDavid aboard as the minority partner Hicks has been hoping to find.

Whether that might also include a share of the Dallas Stars as well remains to be seen, but there are certainly indications in McDavid’s background — he has talked to Hicks about buying the Stars in the past — that indicate that could happen, too.

"I don’t know what I have an interest in right now, or even if I have an interest in anything," McDavid said by phone Wednesday. "Anything could happen, but it’s not my place to talk about this.

"Tom and I have lunch several times a year and we always talk sports. Yeah, we talked a little bit about what he’s wanting to do, but it was really a cursory conversation."

Hicks, responding by e-mail, also confirmed the lunch but said the conversation about whether McDavid might be interested in buying into the Rangers was "very preliminary."

A week ago Hicks said he would be willing to sell up to 46 percent of his 95 percent share of the Rangers, and he is also looking for minority investors in the Stars.

McDavid, who was a minority investor in the Dallas Mavericks with Ross Perot Jr. and Frank Zaccanelli from 1996-2000 until the franchise was sold to Mark Cuban, has long had a yen to own and run a sports franchise.

It began when he was only 18 and his father, also a Texas car dealer, was close friends with Bud Adams and Lamar Hunt.

"I watched them get the AFL started," McDavid said. "I guess that’s when I caught the fever. It was exciting watching all that unfold."

Besides the Mavs, which didn’t end well, and his known interest in the Stars, McDavid, who made his money selling lots and lots of cars through 17 automobile dealerships throughout the state, has also been mentioned as a suitor for the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Vancouver Grizzlies, Charlotte Hornets, Orlando Magic, and, most recently, the Atlanta Hawks and Thrashers.

McDavid, 66, thought he had a deal in place with Turner Broadcasting System to buy the Hawks and Thrashers, along with Philips Arena back in 2003, but Turner wound up backing out and selling to an eight-man consortium called the Atlanta Spirit instead. McDavid sued for breach of contract, won and was awarded $316 million last year. The ruling is under appeal.

It was McDavid who initiated the negotiations that ended with Perot Jr. buying the Mavs in 1996. McDavid, who owned around 12 percent of the team, was supposed to run the Mavs, hiring a general manager and coach. But once the deal was completed, McDavid was bypassed and Zaccanelli wound up running the front office. McDavid felt like he’d been betrayed.

"That was a disappointment, but that was a long time ago," he said. "I’ve put that behind me. My experiences with sports things haven’t been the greatest, but they have been profitable."

McDavid, who sold his car dealerships in 1997 for a reported $380 million, is believed to have invested around $15 million when Perot Jr. bought the Mavs and walked away with a cool $35 million when the team was sold to Cuban.

"I don’t know what my interest is in this right now. I’m a little older, a littler wiser," McDavid said. "But when done right, they can be profitable."

While McDavid’s previous forays in sports franchise ownership have been directed towards the NBA and NHL, McDavid said he loves attending games at The Ballpark in Arlington.

"I think baseball is terrific," he said. "It’s a great game."

He denied one report, however, that said Hicks gave him a personalized tour of The Ballpark during their meeting Tuesday.

"We didn’t take a tour," he said. "I did step out onto his balcony and take a look around. It’s a great view from there. I’ve been to a lot of games at The Ballpark. It’s as pretty a ballpark as I’ve ever seen."

Hicks did take McDavid over to say hello to team president Nolan Ryan. Ryan said he’s known McDavid for years but doesn’t know how much interest he has in partnering up with Hicks in the Rangers or Stars.

"I didn’t sit in on the meeting, so I don’t know what was discussed," Ryan said. "Evidently he had enough interest to come over and have lunch with Tom."

Ryan said he has given no more thought to whether he might have an interest in a minority share of the team. Earlier, Ryan had said he would wait to see whether another investor surfaced.

While McDavid’s background says he’s serious about owning a sports franchise, the way he was burned as a minority owner of the Mavs suggests that he would much prefer being a majority owner with some control over operations. With Hicks so far saying he intends to hold onto to at least 51 percent of his teams, that doesn’t appear possible with the Rangers and Stars.

It’s also highly doubtful that Hicks and McDavid got around to discussing financial details in this initial meeting. With speculation that Hicks could be valuing the Rangers’ franchise alone as high as $650 million, money could be an issue here, too.

It usually is.

Still, none of this changes the fact that McDavid has had a lifelong itch when it comes to sports.

This could be his last chance to scratch it, once and for all.
JIM REEVES 817-390-7760

http://www.star-telegram.com/284/story/1294011.html

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #66 on: April 2, 2009, 10:33:50 am »

I honestly believe texas must be jumping for joy he is pissing off..he hasn't exactly done wonders with the club since he and bush bought the club....
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 2, 2009, 10:39:09 am »
Read into the below, whatever you want, if anything.

Rafael Benitez: I Contemplated Leaving Liverpool
The Reds boss admits that uncertainty at the club led him to question his own future before signing a new five-year contract...
2 Apr 2009 09:19:48

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has revealed that he gave serious thought to leaving the club before finally signing a new five-year contract at Anfield last month.

It appears that uncertainty at boardroom level caused Benitez to question his own future.

However, the Spaniard insists that the doubts have since faded and he is now fully committed to taking the club forward.

"It is true that at times I may have thought about my future," Benitez is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

"It will be easier now the contract is done. Once you sign a contract you know you can start thinking about the future. That is why it was important to get it done as soon as possible.

"The uncertainty at the club was the only thing on my mind before. But delaying the decision before saying yes at the end of the season would have been worse for everyone because we would have lost some of our transfer targets or [would] certainly [be] at a disadvantage."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009...aving-liverpool
I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #68 on: April 2, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
cheers harry,

Looks like he may be pricing himelf out of another sale.
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #69 on: April 2, 2009, 11:10:35 am »
Read into the below, whatever you want, if anything.

Rafael Benitez: I Contemplated Leaving Liverpool
The Reds boss admits that uncertainty at the club led him to question his own future before signing a new five-year contract...
2 Apr 2009 09:19:48

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has revealed that he gave serious thought to leaving the club before finally signing a new five-year contract at Anfield last month.

It appears that uncertainty at boardroom level caused Benitez to question his own future.

However, the Spaniard insists that the doubts have since faded and he is now fully committed to taking the club forward.

"It is true that at times I may have thought about my future," Benitez is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

"It will be easier now the contract is done. Once you sign a contract you know you can start thinking about the future. That is why it was important to get it done as soon as possible.

"The uncertainty at the club was the only thing on my mind before. But delaying the decision before saying yes at the end of the season would have been worse for everyone because we would have lost some of our transfer targets or [would] certainly [be] at a disadvantage."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009...aving-liverpool
I have taken a few things from that,  what have you taken???

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 2, 2009, 11:17:16 am »
Not just the price, also comes back to minority ownership. Anyone sensible is going to question the wisdom of that.

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 2, 2009, 11:37:26 am »
I have taken a few things from that,  what have you taken???

That that was put up on 2nd April at 09:19:48   ;)
I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #72 on: April 2, 2009, 11:41:49 am »
That that was put up on 2nd April at 09:19:48   ;)
lol.  can your prove that as fact.  :)

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 2, 2009, 11:44:21 am »
lol.  can your prove that as fact.  :)

no

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 2, 2009, 11:44:54 am »
fail  :sad

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #75 on: April 2, 2009, 12:01:52 pm »
fail  :sad
In all seriousness,  benitez could be suggesting that something he was not sure about is something he is now sure about.  Muddle that in with all the talk of having a transfer budget and a speculative conclusion could be drawn,

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #76 on: April 2, 2009, 12:03:23 pm »
Did his period of bad vibes coincide with our poor results prior to him signing?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 2, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »
All I've taken from it, is that something has happened/changed that has made Rafa content with where we're going.

What that is, at this moment in time, is anybodies guess.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #78 on: April 2, 2009, 12:44:22 pm »
All I've taken from it, is that something has happened/changed that has made Rafa content with where we're going.

What that is, at this moment in time, is anybodies guess.
It could be one or mix of the following:

New owners
New half or part owner
Promised xfer budget over the next 5 seasons
Full control over academy
Full control of transfers
Parry

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 2, 2009, 12:45:28 pm »
It could be one or mix of the following:

New owners
New half or part owner
Promised xfer budget over the next 5 seasons
Full control over academy
Full control of transfers
Parry

Agleed