Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4152113 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #58320 on: November 1, 2018, 09:41:51 pm »
If Whyte beats Chisora he gets the AJ shot i reckon

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #58321 on: November 1, 2018, 09:57:05 pm »
I like Dillian Whyte, hope he gets past Chisora and knocks AJ out in April.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58322 on: November 2, 2018, 10:22:29 am »
Terry O Connor is the ref for Usyk v Bellew.

Bellew stoppage has to be looked at

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58323 on: November 2, 2018, 11:15:11 am »
Whyte vs Chisora for the 22nd December.

More WWE style promotion
First fight was great. Looking forward to this. Not sure it is a PPV fight though. Also not sure why they put it on the same night as Frampton.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58324 on: November 2, 2018, 11:16:07 am »
First fight was great. Looking forward to this. Not sure it is a PPV fight though. Also not sure why they put it on the same night as Frampton.

You are sure mate. Trust me. We all know why Hearn did that

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58325 on: November 2, 2018, 11:17:27 am »
You are sure mate. Trust me. We all know why Hearn did that
I know he is trying to blow Warren out but it doesn't even make sense for his figures. Surely he is going to get a lot less people buying the PPV.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #58326 on: November 2, 2018, 12:19:20 pm »

Bellew to win by stoppage?  :o I know O'Connor likes a premature stoppage in favour of the 'house' fighter but Bellew has to get Usyk in some sort of trouble first.

Too many people are being blinded by his fights with Haye. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say, but Haye was a shell of a fighter. Bellew hasn't had a real opponent in quite some time.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #58327 on: November 2, 2018, 02:51:51 pm »
I know he is trying to blow Warren out but it doesn't even make sense for his figures. Surely he is going to get a lot less people buying the PPV.

I think will people will buy Chisora vs Whyte, the 1st fight was great and they both performed in their last outing. The previous time Carl Frampton was on Box Office against Quigg, it didn't deliver. No doubt plenty of fans from Leeds & Northern Ireland will buy this but I think the Chisora/Whyte will appeal to the casuals.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58328 on: November 2, 2018, 03:52:35 pm »

Other way round I reckon. Only way Bellew gets out of this fight with any dignity intact is with a British stoppage.

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58329 on: November 3, 2018, 05:25:17 pm »
Was just wondering what i would watch after the game and then remembered that Bellew is going to be bouncing his head of Usyk's gloves, excellent  ;D

Edit: wrong week, ah well guess i can wait
« Last Edit: November 3, 2018, 05:27:35 pm by Not that Gareth »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58330 on: November 5, 2018, 06:46:29 am »
Floyd Mayweather v Tenshin Nasukawa on Dec 31st in Tokyo  :o not sure if it's a boxing or MMA fight bit he's fighting for the Rizin promotion.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58331 on: November 5, 2018, 08:53:59 am »
An economics and sports writer did a brilliant article about how Mayweather was likely to go bankrupt before 50 (this was about a decade ago and was based on real maths, not conjecture). I wonder whether that prophecy is already coming to the fore.
De La Hoya said as much days after Canelo signed the DAZN deal on a video i caught on Youtube after the Connor/Khabib fight,he said Floyd was jealous that Canelo got that deal because he's blown all his money away now.

Might have been tongue in cheek but Floyd taking this fight against 20 year old kick boxer in Tokyo just seems an odd fight and makes me wonder if he has money troubles.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2018, 08:59:30 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58332 on: November 5, 2018, 09:06:27 am »
Definitely burning through his money.

Joke fight. If it's just hands he wins, if kicks are involved he loses.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58333 on: November 5, 2018, 09:16:59 am »
De La Hoya said as much days after Canelo signed the DAZN deal on a video i caught on Youtube after the Connor/Khabib fight,he said Floyd was jealous that Canelo got that deal because he's blown all his money away now.

Might have been tongue in cheek but Floyd taking this fight against 20 year old kick boxer in Tokyo just seems an odd fight and makes me wonder if he has money troubles.

The talk has been that he's had money issues for the past 10-15 years.  Apparently, he renamed himself "money", instead of "Pretty Boy", to try to encourage more earnings.

He must be terrible and managing his finances, as he's earned an absolute fortune.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58334 on: November 5, 2018, 09:27:23 am »
Is there actually any evidence that he 'needs' the money?

Other than him taking a seemingly random 'fight' in Japan? Couldn't be that they offered an astronomical amount that he simply couldn't turn down?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58335 on: November 5, 2018, 09:44:18 am »
Fair point Samio.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58336 on: November 5, 2018, 09:51:45 am »
Watching highlights of this guy he is nasty body kicker. Hopefully it is not boxing rules but I cant imagine it being anything else

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58337 on: November 5, 2018, 10:32:30 am »
Floyd has come out of retirement a few times because he has run out of cash, but that was back when he was making 'regular' boxing money, before the astronomical paydays against Pacquaio and McGregor.

If it was money he needed he could take some easyish fights against some actual boxers, I think 154 is wide open for example, or he could go the Pacquaio route.

I can only imagine he's been offered a ton of money for some kind of weird exhibition fight, like the old Ali v Inoki match. December is way to soon for him to learn kickboxing from scratch so I would imagine it's boxing rules or very close to it.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58338 on: November 5, 2018, 11:45:25 am »
Floyd Mayweather v Tenshin Nasukawa on Dec 31st in Tokyo  :o not sure if it's a boxing or MMA fight bit he's fighting for the Rizin promotion.

Embarrassing exhibition nonsense.

I will watch the fight ... one week after it is over and available for free with Russian commentary on YouTube.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58339 on: November 5, 2018, 02:08:08 pm »
It’ll either be a weird exhibition match or boxing rules. There’s no chance it’s a serious kickboxing/MMA fight. He’s not stupid and he’s not going to do it unless he believes he has a clear advantage.

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58340 on: November 5, 2018, 08:04:17 pm »
I don't think he's broke, he's earned a disgusting amount of money these last few years and still has investments in property a well as his tacky strip club. It's probably more that he got an insane offer from the Japanese promoters and they probably want to boost the profile of a top prospect. I'm just glad he won't be facing Khabib in a boxing match.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58341 on: November 5, 2018, 08:16:35 pm »
Floyd is an utter irrelevance in boxing now so who gives a fuck what he does? If he fights an actual 'boxer', and a good one at that, we can start talking about him again. I do wish he would fuck off though!

I've heard that he is a heavy (and bad) gambler who loses tens of millions of dollars a year. There's also a chance he made some shitty investments too. In any case, he is no longer a boxer since he won't fight actual boxers these days.

In boxing news  :D Kell Brook is fighting some Australian lad who was Ko'd by Peter Quillin a few years back. That's it Kell, take those career defining fights mate  ::)

I assume everyone is picking Usyk at the weekend? He isn't a huge puncher and Bellew can take a dig so it should go the distance (I initially thought it would be a KO then I realised that Usyk isn't a monster hitter) unless the gap in quality is so vast that Usyk forces a stoppage. Usyk took Breidis' best shots so I think he can handle Bellew's power.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2018, 08:20:56 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58342 on: November 5, 2018, 08:32:31 pm »
I assume everyone is picking Usyk at the weekend? He isn't a huge puncher and Bellew can take a dig so it should go the distance (I initially thought it would be a KO then I realised that Usyk isn't a monster hitter) unless the gap in quality is so vast that Usyk forces a stoppage. Usyk took Breidis' best shots so I think he can handle Bellew's power.
Agree on Mayweather and Brook, not a lot to say there really.

On Usyk vs Bellew I can't really see how Bellew wins outside of landing a big punch. He's technically and tactically not close to Usyk so I can see Bellew eating gloves for 12 rounds unless the ref takes pity on him.

If anyone can make a solid case for Bellew I would love to hear it because I just can't see it.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58343 on: November 6, 2018, 12:22:32 am »
Anybody watch the super series on the weekend? Still a way to go but a Taylor v Prograis final could be proper fireworks. Felt for Martin though - it was clearly a level too high too soon for him but his corner seemed to be more concerned with laying into him than giving him any technical guidance about getting himself out of a range that he was clearly struggling at.

Re. Bellew, I think he gets out-boxed and eventually stopped late on. His prospects are the very definition of a punchers chance. I'm not even sure he has that if I'm honest.

« Last Edit: November 6, 2018, 12:32:46 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58344 on: November 6, 2018, 12:26:15 am »
Floyd needs money like we all need money. He just wants more of it. At the lowest risk possible. It's a no brainer if you care more about money than sporting legacy. I'm pretty sure he bought a new mansion like a week ago.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58345 on: November 6, 2018, 12:42:32 am »
An economics and sports writer did a brilliant article about how Mayweather was likely to go bankrupt before 50 (this was about a decade ago and was based on real maths, not conjecture). I wonder whether that prophecy is already coming to the fore.

Along similar lines this article about Pacquiao - I think posted earlier in this thread by someone else

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/11/20/5119180/manny-pacquiao-vs-brandon-rios-fight-2013-profile

Both wonderful sportsmen but absolute sieves in terms of financial management
« Last Edit: November 6, 2018, 12:44:18 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #58346 on: November 6, 2018, 01:24:34 am »
Watched the Taylor-Martin fight yesterday. I thought Taylor looked a class apart, Ryan Martin didn’t want any of him. Disappointed for Ryan Burnett, it will be a long road to recovery.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58347 on: November 6, 2018, 08:03:28 am »
Not writing off Bellew, especially with ref Terry O Connor in the ring.

Usyk hasnt put a foot wrong so far in his career but he hasn't convinced me in the way that Lomachenko has. When I've seen him, he has 'done enough' for the win but this is in England so he will have to do more then that to leave with belts

He should win but I wouldnt be at all shocked if Bellew pulls it off

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58348 on: November 6, 2018, 09:20:06 am »
Not writing off Bellew, especially with ref Terry O Connor in the ring.

Usyk hasnt put a foot wrong so far in his career but he hasn't convinced me in the way that Lomachenko has. When I've seen him, he has 'done enough' for the win but this is in England so he will have to do more then that to leave with belts

He should win but I wouldnt be at all shocked if Bellew pulls it off

He gets hit a lot which is not going to be a great attribute at HW. Bellew is not a puncher though by any means and if he can take shots from Breidis and Gassiev then he should be OK here.

I'd go for either a wide UD or maybe a late TKO on cuts or a British stoppage.

Remember he's signed with Eddie Hearn now and Bellew is retiring, so Usyk is really the house fighter here. Any home cooking is likely going Usyk's way.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #58349 on: November 6, 2018, 11:38:43 am »
I don't think he's broke, he's earned a disgusting amount of money these last few years and still has investments in property a well as his tacky strip club. It's probably more that he got an insane offer from the Japanese promoters and they probably want to boost the profile of a top prospect. I'm just glad he won't be facing Khabib in a boxing match.

You never know, he could be like Michael Jackson and buys weird expensive shit like golden busts of Timmy Mallet for $8 million
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58350 on: November 7, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »

In other words, they included kicks and I can't fight for shit so I won't be taking this fight. Fuck you all.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58351 on: November 7, 2018, 11:12:21 pm »

In other words, they included kicks and I can't fight for shit so I won't be taking this fight. Fuck you all.
"I'm up for Andre Berto II though."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58352 on: November 8, 2018, 06:56:54 am »
"I'm up for Andre Berto II though."
Sick of the guy qt this point. The sooner he fucks off the better for both boxing and MMA.

Errol Spence v Mikey Garcia close to being finalised for AT&T Stadium. Ballsy move from Mikey, no idea why he's taking such a high risk fight. Should be going after Lomachenko imo.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58353 on: November 8, 2018, 08:11:52 am »

I wonder who wrote that for him

He couldn't have done it if you offered him 9 figures

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58354 on: November 8, 2018, 04:59:57 pm »
Sick of the guy qt this point. The sooner he fucks off the better for both boxing and MMA.

Errol Spence v Mikey Garcia close to being finalised for AT&T Stadium. Ballsy move from Mikey, no idea why he's taking such a high risk fight. Should be going after Lomachenko imo.
Oooh that's nice  ;D Spence will be favourite but Garcia will outbox him. Whether he can survive the hard hitting Spence who is going to the bigger fighter on the night is another question entirely.

I wonder who wrote that for him

He couldn't have done it if you offered him 9 figures
Ellerbe most likely.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58355 on: November 9, 2018, 05:16:05 pm »
Looking forward to the fight tomorrow. Always a joy to watch Usyk and hoping Bellew can make contest of it.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58356 on: November 9, 2018, 05:27:46 pm »
Looking forward to the fight tomorrow. Always a joy to watch Usyk and hoping Bellew can make contest of it.

I know he's a bitter bitter blue, but I find myself gradually liking Bellew more and more. He's still got about a 1 in 100 chance tomorrow night mind.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58357 on: November 9, 2018, 05:31:14 pm »
I know he's a bitter bitter blue, but I find myself gradually liking Bellew more and more. He's still got about a 1 in 100 chance tomorrow night mind.
I quite like Bellew too. They can be as bitter as they like. We don't have to rise to it. He has worked hard and could have taken other fights for more money but has chosen to go in with Usyk for less money and much more risk. Just hope he doesn't get knocked out in one.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58358 on: November 9, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »
I quite like Bellew too. They can be as bitter as they like. We don't have to rise to it. He has worked hard and could have taken other fights for more money but has chosen to go in with Usyk for less money and much more risk. Just hope he doesn't get knocked out in one.

Think he'll last at 2-3 rounds. Not much longer than that though.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58359 on: November 9, 2018, 05:34:52 pm »
What other fights could he have taken?

He wouldn't fight Whyte,Parker not worth it without belt, Fury tied up with Wilder. This was his best paying option and happens to be the one that could give him the greatest glory should he pull it off.