Author Topic: Universal Credit and the crimes of it...  (Read 23538 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Universal Credit and the crimes of it...
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2018, 08:42:41 pm »
I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not John.  This seems to be if you have zero income at all due to all benefits being stopped.

My accountant sent it me to share with as many as possible and here seemed as good a place as any to share it.

So if we are a little confused heaven help those who are desperately looking for help!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2018, 09:00:03 pm »
Well sorry for bothering to pass it on cos at least no fucker will be confused if they don't know to go to their council and fill in a "nil income" form.

You know, like it says in the fucking post.

Jesus Christ almighty!!!

I think you've totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

I did a search on "nil income form" and was taken to that section of the Liverpool City website. You said it was a different scheme so hence my comment on confusion, which wasn't intended as a dig at you.

Anyway I've said enough.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2018, 09:12:50 pm »
I think you've totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

I did a search on "nil income form" and was taken to that section of the Liverpool City website. You said it was a different scheme so hence my comment on confusion, which wasn't intended as a dig at you.

Anyway I've said enough.
Apologies mate I shouldn't have reacted as I did.  Things are a bit fraught for me just now.

I've deleted it.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 09:30:53 pm »
That Citizens' Support Scheme is a bit different. Useful all the same.

Like Debs was saying, if you're sanctioned and get housing benefit and/or council tax support then contact the council's benefits section to get them to sort out what needs to be done. Usually it's a form to say what your income is for the period you're sanctioned. It just stops any gaps in your housing benefit from happening. System is sheer wickedness for shite like that.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 02:08:41 pm »
Apologies mate I shouldn't have reacted as I did.  Things are a bit fraught for me just now.

I've deleted it.

No problem. I worked for years in advice services in the NW and targetting the most vulnerable was always extremely difficult. When I was in the South end of Liverpool you'd get the worried well of Woolton, the concerned of Calderstones but rarely anyone from Dingle, Garston or Speke.

Since then local authority advice provision has been destroyed by ideologically driven austerity.

But just to give you a bit of a laugh about help and advice;

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018/dec/27/its-completely-wrong-falsely-accused-tory-mp-attacks-legal-aid-cuts

Biter bit, hey? ;)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2018, 06:34:24 pm »

Amber Rudd MP
‏Verified account @AmberRuddHR

Congratulations to @DWP staff receiving #NYHonours. I’m thrilled the work of those who go above and beyond in their local area, be it helping disabled people in Birmingham enjoy a more independent life or helping disadvantaged people in Wales get into work, is recognised.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 11:01:11 am »
Important case won by women being supported by Child Poverty Action Group. Goes to the issue of some things being baked into the system from the start because of flawed assumptions. This time it's people who have pay dates which cut across UC assessment periods.

(summary via Tom Royston, welfare rights barrister)

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/johnson-and-others-judgment-final.pdf

The court didn't give a fuck about the DWP's protestations that it would cost money to fix the IT system - that's one of the key factors behind the problems they're having moving people from ESA onto UC as it's cheaper for the DWP to try and force people to make a new claim rather than set up a way for the information to be moved across automatically.

Hopefully, this court case at least will end up with people who went without having a bit back. And it explains why Amber Rudd was in the tv studios this morning as she knew this judgement was about to land.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2019, 06:32:07 pm »
This is absurd..

Talk about going out of your way to shaft people.  Great that they won.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 07:53:35 am »
A mate of mine has a daughter who's a paramedic.  She was contacted out of the blue by one of the assessment centres who laid out their conditions for her to consider.  It's a starting salary of £26,000 which is obviously not great for anyone with a medical qualification but they needn't worry because there is a £50 bonus on top for every claimant they turn down!  Naturally, they make it in the interest of the assessor to refuse claims in order to feather their own nests. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 08:29:07 am »
Dear god.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 10:18:13 am »
Not looking forward to this.

My brother is severely disabled on DLA/PIP and ESA. I've decided to move him in with me as it's too much on my mother nowadays, the problem with that is he now needs Housing Benefit.

They told us to sign up to Universal Credit and that 'his medical stuff will be sorted out afterwards'. I've gone through the form for him online and it's very inadequate when it comes to dealing with the medical side of things. Like fuck is he getting a doctors note, he can't leave the house. I appreciate UC is trying to cast a wide net on all types of benefit but if you have a severe disability there's nothing in the sign up procedure to deal with that. I work 9-6 too so it's borderline impossible to get in contact with them, the wait times on the phone are a joke.

My mum managed to contact them and they said it'll all be fine, they'll just look at his existing claim and move everything. I don't trust it personally.

:D

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2019, 11:19:59 am »
Hope that change of benefits goes ok Kashinoda. Hear you on doctor's note and all the hurdles have to jump when the evidence is already there for the DWP. Sorry you're having to do it now because of change of circumstances rather than with something more structured towards, and supportive of, your brother's needs and also your and your mum's having to chase around to get it sorted.

---

There's actually a new judicial review being heard today, and all power to CPAG for taking this stuff on, because of the cuts to benefits of disabled people which are part of UC. The government is meant to be backpaying, but only for a very specific group (severe disability premium I believe). Hopefully court will decide transitional protection should apply to everyone forced to move over with an existing claim.

The judicial review, brought by Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) on behalf of the three individuals in two households, challenges:

the policy which prevents claimants who have claimed UC only because of an incorrect DWP decision ending their existing ("legacy") benefits being able to return to legacy benefits after successfully challenging the incorrect decision even if they are financially worse off on UC, and, alternatively,
the lack of protection against cash losses for claimants pushed on to UC in this way.
Both households in the case had no option but to claim UC after their existing benefits were stopped incorrectly and were entitled to significantly less on UC than on their previous benefits. Yet UC rules also blocked their return to legacy benefits, even after the decision to end their entitlement to their existing benefits was found to be incorrect.

People currently on existing (legacy) benefits will in future receive a cash top-up, or transitional protection payment, when they are moved over to UC as part of a mass 'managed migration'. This is intended to protect people whose circumstances have not changed against income losses at the point of transition onto UC. However, the claimants in this case were not part of the managed migration process (which has not yet started ) and so were not entitled to such protection despite suffering significant income drops and only having claimed UC as a result of DWP’s incorrect decisions. One of the claimants, the mother of a severely disabled child, was for a period left almost £140 per month worse off on UC than her entitlement on her previous benefits because payments for some disabled children are lower on UC than on tax credits. The other remains over £180 worse off per month on UC than she would have been on employment support allowance (“ESA”) because she lost the Severe Disability Premium which is not available in UC. 

The policy is irrational, the claimants say, since they have neither had a change of circumstances nor chosen to claim UC so there is no basis for treating them differently from people who will be moved to UC under the managed migration process, who will qualify for transitional protection against cash losses.

The policy also has a disproportionately adverse effect on disabled claimants because incorrect decisions that a claimant no longer qualifies for sickness or disability-related benefits are more common than for other benefits, and those with a disabled person in the household are more likely to be cash losers under UC than under so-called legacy benefits.   

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 11:51:27 am »
Complete and utter twunts......

Was sanctioned for missing a 'work review' meeting on the 13th December, which i couldn't attend because i was.....wait for it, working - to which i provided evidence for back in November (temporary on going work) as a result have received nowt this month and my temporary work came to an end during december. The last time i received any monies was the 28th December (pay cheque from working), flat broke - going through an appeals process which has already been 3 weeks in the process (come this Friday) to determine if they'll pay me the sanctioned monies..... i've provided an email detailing that i was working on that day, would only take one person 3 seconds to look at the evidence to process it.....fucking ridiculous....i can't attend interviews for full time jobs anywhere that i can't walk to as i can't frigging afford to get there....

Got a great one lined up for down the road (either train or bus journey) but haven't even got the £6 it'll take me to get there at the moment, the whole fucking system stinks - with fucking posters everywhere saying shit like 'making work pay' or whatever bullshit line they are using, well didn't fucking pay for me to work - i got frigging sanction, cheers wankers.....next pay day in the 13th February, fuck knows what i'll do for food and acommodation between now and then either.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 05:45:06 pm »

Was sanctioned for missing a 'work review' meeting on the 13th December, which i couldn't attend because i was.....wait for it, working - to which i provided evidence for back in November (temporary on going work) as a result have received nowt this month and my temporary work came to an end during december. The last time i received any monies was the 28th December (pay cheque from working), flat broke - going through an appeals process which has already been 3 weeks in the process (come this Friday) to determine if they'll pay me the sanctioned monies..... i've provided an email detailing that i was working on that day, would only take one person 3 seconds to look at the evidence to process it.....fucking ridiculous....i can't attend interviews for full time jobs anywhere that i can't walk to as i can't frigging afford to get there....

Got a great one lined up for down the road (either train or bus journey) but haven't even got the £6 it'll take me to get there at the moment, the whole fucking system stinks - with fucking posters everywhere saying shit like 'making work pay' or whatever bullshit line they are using, well didn't fucking pay for me to work - i got frigging sanction, cheers wankers.....next pay day in the 13th February, fuck knows what i'll do for food and acommodation between now and then either.

E-mail you MP.   
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 06:04:25 pm »

So sorry to hear about that mate. It’s a fucking crime the way the government get away with this!

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 6, 2019, 11:11:05 am »
Utter shitehawks!

Was told when the sanction was put in place that nothing could be escalated for 21 days (working days which is a month in real time - surprising weekends don't count seeing as the landlord and food is a necessity over those days too!)

So here we are 21 days later, I call to escalate as nothing has happened, low and fucking behold I'm told nothing can be done and that it can only be escalated in ANOTHER 21 days - so not only have I not received a bean from them (for working the day of a job search review? - which they knew about) for almost 8 weeks I've to wait another month to see if they'll actually cough up for it. In the meantime I've to live off this air I suppose and hope my already generous landlord continues to be patient.....

Contemptible fucking wankers, I feel like guy Fawkes right now.......Ithankfully im at second stage interview at 12:30 today which should hopefully see me out and off this car crash of a fucking detestable system......wouldn't there be something ironic if I received a pay cheque from a new full time job before these lousy Draconian scumbags pull their finger out!

Oh well the 2 and a half hour walk back from the interview should give me time to think of more ways to describe this shower of shite. Let's just hope I'm not homeless before I can get into (fingers crossed this new job)

Wankers, hope the whole Tory party dies horrific painful disease ridden deaths.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #56 on: February 6, 2019, 11:26:06 am »

I feel desperately sorry for you and people in similar situations.

However don't assume things will get better with any change in Government.

The problem that I see is the whole DSS or whatever they call themselves these days, has become progressively institutionally anti-claimant due to the setting of targets and adoption of profit centre management over the last 30 years.

It will need a root and branch overhaul to get any real improvement for claimants in the system to be treated with dignity and respect and sympathy, as well as a dramatic change in the attitudes of the public at large to support such a change, and I'm not sure that any of the opposition parties are up to such a mammoth task.

Certainly changes may be made at Policy level by a new Government to provide temporary relief, but the devil is going to then be in the implementation and I just don't think the existing structures and systems and more importantly the mindset of the individuals involved is fit for purpose anymore.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #57 on: February 6, 2019, 12:48:21 pm »
Utter shitehawks!

Was told when the sanction was put in place that nothing could be escalated for 21 days (working days which is a month in real time - surprising weekends don't count seeing as the landlord and food is a necessity over those days too!)

So here we are 21 days later, I call to escalate as nothing has happened, low and fucking behold I'm told nothing can be done and that it can only be escalated in ANOTHER 21 days - so not only have I not received a bean from them (for working the day of a job search review? - which they knew about) for almost 8 weeks I've to wait another month to see if they'll actually cough up for it. In the meantime I've to live off this air I suppose and hope my already generous landlord continues to be patient.....

Contemptible fucking wankers, I feel like guy Fawkes right now.......Ithankfully im at second stage interview at 12:30 today which should hopefully see me out and off this car crash of a fucking detestable system......wouldn't there be something ironic if I received a pay cheque from a new full time job before these lousy Draconian scumbags pull their finger out!

Oh well the 2 and a half hour walk back from the interview should give me time to think of more ways to describe this shower of shite. Let's just hope I'm not homeless before I can get into (fingers crossed this new job)

Wankers, hope the whole Tory party dies horrific painful disease ridden deaths.

I know you don't trust them right now.  But please contact your MP asap.  It is part of their job to help you.

I have everything crossed that you get the job.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #58 on: February 6, 2019, 04:26:55 pm »
CAB or your MP would be your best bet A-Bomb. Get them to go through why you're being messed about with the sanction, how to properly access hardship payments (and if you can't, what you need to do so you can), and obviously vouchers for local foodbank. Something's not right if you're expected to go without anything to live on for 8 weeks because you've appealed - should be 14 days for a mandatory reconsideration to change a sanction so messing you about like this seems strange.

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 6, 2019, 06:25:21 pm »
CAB or your MP would be your best bet A-Bomb. Get them to go through why you're being messed about with the sanction, how to properly access hardship payments (and if you can't, what you need to do so you can), and obviously vouchers for local foodbank. Something's not right if you're expected to go without anything to live on for 8 weeks because you've appealed - should be 14 days for a mandatory reconsideration to change a sanction so messing you about like this seems strange.

Sanction has been lifted.... however the MR process to reclaim monies which were due, have left me on my arse and that is what im attempting to claw back, and there is also no guarantee they will refund that money either....

But yes sadly, it looks like i'm going to have to contact my local MP which thankfully is a labour MP.

Apparently today was the day it's been due to be looked at which is 21 working days since i put in my initial appeal, and today i was told it is only after a further 21 days that they can escalate that.

I shall receive on the 13th February benefit for the month between January and February. However and somewhat naively now, i didn't think an appeal process to make a decision on sanctioned money (all of what i was left to be due) could be put on the back burner for what will be 2 months, its outrageous, how the hell are people supposed to cope?

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 6, 2019, 07:02:15 pm »
Just had the job i went for today, offered  8)

Last month on this shit tip of UC, my heart goes out to anyone having to navigate it for any length of time.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 6, 2019, 08:34:04 pm »

Last month on this shit tip of UC, my heart goes out to anyone having to navigate it for any length of time.
Well done mate, when you start make sure you nail it and keep it.

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 7, 2019, 11:00:11 am »
Well done mate, when you start make sure you nail it and keep it.

Thanks John

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 8, 2019, 12:35:06 pm »
So I bell them today to explain I need some support for at least two days until next Wednesday for bare minimum travel to work - when my almighty payment of £427 will be paid - which leaves £27 for food, travel and the rest of expenses until I'll be paid at the end of February from my new job.

Nowt nada nothing available to me as - wait for it, the computer says 'no' because concern that any advances would leave me too short (despite the fact I will be on a full time wage so will reasonably be able to pay anything back pretty sharpish over a couple pay days)

I've contacted my MP but the reality is my mandatory reconsideration of rules in my favour (which it should be I was working on the day of their work search appointment) still wouldn't come quick enough for Monday - brilliant!

Role on March when all this can be put to bed. I truly hope nobody on here has to go through this, you'd think the powers that be would 1.) Applaud those who are working rather than penalise then and 2.) Would offer ample support and flexibility to those who like myself are swiftly re-entering the work place again....

Failed on both accounts.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #64 on: February 8, 2019, 03:47:24 pm »
A mate of mine has a daughter who's a paramedic.  She was contacted out of the blue by one of the assessment centres who laid out their conditions for her to consider.  It's a starting salary of £26,000 which is obviously not great for anyone with a medical qualification but they needn't worry because there is a £50 bonus on top for every claimant they turn down!  Naturally, they make it in the interest of the assessor to refuse claims in order to feather their own nests.

Look on the bright side. At least we all now know the ballpark figure for a bribe.

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2019, 12:27:10 am »
Pension Credit for mixed age couples will cease for new claimants on the 15th May 2019,they will have to claim UC instead.
Massive drop in money.

https://inews.co.uk/news/universal-credit-dwp-benefits-pensioners-younger-partners-mixed-age-couples/

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2019, 06:17:08 am »
Pension Credit for mixed age couples will cease for new claimants on the 15th May 2019,they will have to claim UC instead.
Massive drop in money.

https://inews.co.uk/news/universal-credit-dwp-benefits-pensioners-younger-partners-mixed-age-couples/

Anoosh Chakelian summed it up a couple of weeks back (New Statesman) when she went through the difference between the spin which came with Rudd being appointed and the reality of not a lot of change happening. I remember some of the debate in 2011, and since, on the issue of couples getting clobbered by that change.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 5, 2019, 12:42:44 pm »
This story isn't to do with UC specifically, but is generally benefits related and I don't want it to get lost in the other general politics thread.

Disabled pensioners freed from 'unnecessary' benefits checks

Disabled pensioners will no longer face "unnecessary" repeat assessments to continue receiving benefits, the work and pensions secretary will announce.

From this spring, about 270,000 people will not have personal independence payments (PIPs) regularly reviewed.

But a disability group said millions of younger people would "still be stuck in a failing system".

Amber Rudd is also due to increase a government target for getting a million more disabled people into work by 2027.

She is also due to announce a small scale trial to test the feasibility of bringing together the PIP assessments and Work Capability Assessments into one, in order to create a more "joined-up" approach.

The work capability assessment determines what benefits people receive if their disabilities or illnesses affect their ability to work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47443955

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #68 on: March 5, 2019, 05:47:35 pm »
This story isn't to do with UC specifically, but is generally benefits related and I don't want it to get lost in the other general politics thread.

Tom Peck has it right. Indie

It was one of those rare moments in politics, where a minister’s big announcement to scrap an outrageous policy serves only to draw attention to an outrageous policy which had hitherto been wisely kept hidden.

She was, she said, ending the policy by which people with the most severe disabilities would no longer require ongoing assessment to make sure they were still eligible for them.

That, in other words, it would no longer be the case that severely disabled people with incurable conditions had to report to an assessor every year to prove they had not been to see a miracle healer.

That there had, in the last 12 months, been no laying on of hands. There had been no clandestine back bedroom hobbyistic pushing back of the boundaries of science and medicine.

From now on, the balance of probabilities would be shifted to presume that a miracle had not happened. Yes, this really was the big announcement.

Aside from snark, it's pretty typical of the politically driven piecemeal changes that the DWP does. Rather than question the assumptions and systems built upon them, and which will continue to push people into repeated, stressful, and pointless assessments, it's carving out exceptions. Here's a more holistic piece of research towards which I contributed, albeit its focus is on mental health and the benefits system: Money and Mental Health.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #69 on: March 8, 2019, 06:44:25 pm »

Aww. I'm back on it after a period of work... I loathe it, it's beyond soul-destroying, but it's gone full circle now, to where I was about 18 months ago, just pure anger, the feeling that no matter how well I deal with it, there will be others out there more vulnerable. Tell ye what, I'd rather be angry than straight-out fed up, but I hope this hits a sour note with voters of every stripe and and down the country.

I'm happy my RAWK brothers and sisters are not naive to it. I find it unconscionable. Payment fuckup after payment fuckup has been, if anything, detrimental to my efforts to get back on my feet. Anyone under this bullshit cosh has my absolute infinite sympathy. Good work on this thread and the words within it. Solidarity is the way out
« Last Edit: March 8, 2019, 06:45:57 pm by ToneLa »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2019, 09:14:13 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2019, 04:53:51 pm »
My mam just got aletter telling her that they are stopping her pip/dla because they asked for more information and it failed to reach them in time.

Lying bastards have only ever sent the one letter and that was the one with the questionnaire that she had to fill out,there's no way that she ignored another letter.

Todays letter was dated on the 5th.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2019, 05:53:06 pm »
My mam just got aletter telling her that they are stopping her pip/dla because they asked for more information and it failed to reach them in time.

Lying bastards have only ever sent the one letter and that was the one with the questionnaire that she had to fill out,there's no way that she ignored another letter.

Todays letter was dated on the 5th.

Only a week to deliver? They must have rushed that one.

Spoiler

Full thing should be published this summer.
[close]

Hope you can get that sorted with them to get an extension on sending the info in for your mum.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2019, 06:10:15 pm »
Only a week to deliver? They must have rushed that one.

Spoiler

Full thing should be published this summer.
[close]

Hope you can get that sorted with them to get an extension on sending the info in for your mum.

Yeah I warned her that they will try to be funny buggers.If they do stop her money then I will have to start sending her £360+ every month as all of her D.Debits are payed using her DLA.She cannot work due to her illnesses and even if she could I doubt there's an employer in the whole country that would give her a job considering the pills that she is on,her pain meds alone make her unemployable.

I'm convinced that they know full well that they've not asked for anymore information,too many people get the same reply even though they haven't been asked for it.They should be forced to send these letters recorded signed for imo.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2019, 06:22:12 pm »

Yeah I warned her that they will try to be funny buggers.If they do stop her money then I will have to start sending her £360+ every month as all of her D.Debits are payed using her DLA.She cannot work due to her illnesses and even if she could I doubt there's an employer in the whole country that would give her a job considering the pills that she is on,her pain meds alone make her unemployable.

I'm convinced that they know full well that they've not asked for anymore information,too many people get the same reply even though they haven't been asked for it.They should be forced to send these letters recorded signed for imo.

I'd be up for them having to be sent by recorded delivery - if only because it would make the sods realise how often they're sending them out to each person! Have personally raised the issue over post being late or not arriving with MPs on the Work and Pensions Committee, as well as Labour MPs involved in figuring out what to do about, but they always come back with "well, you can ask for more time if you need it". It's only if enough people refused that by the DWP complain, and it's raised with constituency MPs, that anything'll get seriously done about it. Hopefully, it's just a phonecall and an extension which will give your mum time to get things sorted. Otherwise, benefits advice centre or MP to ask them why they're being tits about it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2019, 06:48:20 pm »
I'd be up for them having to be sent by recorded delivery - if only because it would make the sods realise how often they're sending them out to each person! Have personally raised the issue over post being late or not arriving with MPs on the Work and Pensions Committee, as well as Labour MPs involved in figuring out what to do about, but they always come back with "well, you can ask for more time if you need it". It's only if enough people refused that by the DWP complain, and it's raised with constituency MPs, that anything'll get seriously done about it. Hopefully, it's just a phonecall and an extension which will give your mum time to get things sorted. Otherwise, benefits advice centre or MP to ask them why they're being tits about it.

:thumbup

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2019, 10:07:33 pm »
A leaked memo shows that the Department for Work and Pensions is about to embark on a PR campaign to defend its worst ever policy

How to sell the unsellable? How to pretend utter chaos is a plan coming together? How to persuade the public, who just refuse to buy it, to at least keep on paying for it? I believe I have found the answer.

It comes in the form of an internal memo from the Department for Work and Pensions that somehow floated past my desk. Published on the staff intranet just a few days ago, on 2 May, it is signed by three of the department’s most senior officials, including the DWP’s director of communications and Neil Couling, its head of universal credit. And it is that toxically controversial benefit which is its subject.
Addressed to the department’s employees, the letter sympathises: “We share your justified frustration when our hard work – in particular our work on Universal Credit – is portrayed incorrectly and/or negatively in the media.” The circular condemns this “negativity and scaremongering”, and blames it for putting people off even applying for the benefit.

It was said that Steve Jobs could conjure up a “reality distortion field”, bending facts into a parallel universe to spur on Apple designers to achieve the impossible. I can only assume that the DWP’s overlords are creating their own distortion of reality, because I cannot think of a single bigger policy failure this decade than universal credit.

After years of ministers pretending otherwise, Amber Rudd, the DWP secretary, now admits universal credit’s introduction has left people so short of cash that they have resorted to food banks. What Iain Duncan Smith hailed in 2011 as a transformation of welfare has turned into something grotesque, with massive delays and huge flaws both of administration and design, repeatedly damned by MP select committees. The independent National Audit Office judges that universal credit has neither saved public money nor helped people into work. But it has left thousands of vulnerable claimants penniless, while others starve and even lose their homes. In a House of Commons debate last summer the London Labour MP Catherine West recounted how one of her constituents had “fallen off benefits” and ended up “sleeping in a tent in a bin chamber” on a housing estate.
Such are the horrors whose very documentation by journalists the DWP letter dismisses as “unfair”. Rather than halt universal credit, as demanded by so many groups, the department’s managers now say they will respond “in a different way … very different to anything we’ve done before”.

What follows is an elaborate media strategy to manufacture a Whitehall fantasy, one in which the benefits system is running like a dream while a Conservative government generously helps people on the escalator to prosperity. It begins at the end of this month with a giant advert wrapped around the cover of the Metro newspaper; inside will be a further four-page advertorial feature. This will “myth-bust the common inaccuracies reported on UC”. What’s more, “the features won’t look or feel like DWP or UC – you won’t see our branding … We want to grab the readers’ attention and make them wonder who has done this ‘UC uncovered’ investigation.”
Not only is this a costly exercise, with a Metro wraparound going for a headline rate of £250,000 (of your money, let’s not forget), but the Advertising Standards Authority will doubtless be interested in that description of the feature. Its guidelines stipulate that“marketers and publishers must make clear that advertorials are marketing communications”.

Two and a half million adults pick up a daily copy of the Metro freesheet, and they will see these advertorials every week for nine weeks. Meanwhile the secretary of state, Amber Rudd, will invite “a wide range of journalists at regional and national publications … to come [to a jobcentre] and see the great work we do”. Doubtless, the Jobcentres will be carefully chosen and everything will be arranged so that when the dignitaries descend, all will be as precisely ordered as the innards of a Swiss watch. Perhaps it’s not too indelicate to mention here that the Tory party is weeks into an unannounced leadership contest, during which plummy columns commending Rudd for turning round a failed service do no harm to her prospects.
Then comes the letter’s grand reveal: BBC2 has commissioned a documentary series, which is “looking to intelligently explore UC” by filming inside three jobcentres. “This is a fantastic opportunity for us – we’ve been involved in the process from the outset, and we continue working closely with the BBC to ensure a balanced and insightful piece of television.” Wading through such adjectives, one remembers how the most important of the letter’s signatories, Neil Couling, told Holyrood parliamentarians that the rise of food banks was down to “poor people maximising their economic opportunities” and that “many benefit recipients welcome the jolt that … sanctions can give them”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/14/universal-credit-department-work-pensions-pr?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2019, 09:03:40 am »
Trussell Trust is asking people to share what happened to them on the first 5 weeks after they went onto Universal Credit. They're going to be pushing to try and end the 5 week wait for payment and for the government to stop thinking a loan is the answer.

We will use this information to push for a much-needed end to the five week wait, in our public reports and briefings to support the campaign. Anything you share with us here will be kept anonymous unless you tell us otherwise.

https://action.trusselltrust.org/universal-credit-five-week-wait-share-your-story

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2019, 09:30:24 am »
Poverty in the UK is 'systematic' and 'tragic', says UN special rapporteur

The UK's social safety net has been "deliberately removed and replaced with a harsh and uncaring ethos", a report commissioned by the UN has said.

Special rapporteur on extreme poverty Philip Alston said "ideological" cuts to public services since 2010 have led to "tragic consequences".

The report comes after Prof Alston visited UK towns and cities and made preliminary findings last November.

The government said his final report was "barely believable".

The £95bn spent on welfare and the maintenance of the state pension showed the government took tackling poverty "extremely seriously", a spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said.

Prof Alston is an independent expert in human rights law and was appointed to the unpaid role by the UN Human Rights Council in June 2014. He spent nearly two weeks travelling in Britain and Northern Ireland and received more than 300 written submissions for his report.

He concluded: "The bottom line is that much of the glue that has held British society together since the Second World War has been deliberately removed and replaced with a harsh and uncaring ethos."

The Australian professor, who is based at New York University, said government policies had led to the "systematic immiseration" of a significant part of the UK population, meaning they had continually put people further into poverty.

Some observers might conclude that the DWP had been tasked with "designing a digital and sanitised version of the 19th Century workhouse, made infamous by Charles Dickens", he said.

The report cites independent experts saying that 14 million people in the UK - a fifth of the population - live in poverty, according to a new measure that takes into account costs such as housing and childcare.

In 2017, 1.5 million people experienced destitution, meaning they had less than £10 a day after housing costs, or they had to go without at least two essentials such as shelter, food, heat, light, clothing or toiletries during a one-month period.

Despite official denials, Prof Alston said he had heard accounts of people choosing between heating their homes or eating, children turning up to school with empty stomachs, increased homelessness and food bank use, and "story after story" of people who had considered or attempted suicide.

He said the cause was the government's "ideological" decision to dismantle the social safety net and focus on work as the solution to poverty.

"UK standards of well-being have descended precipitately in a remarkably short period of time, as a result of deliberate policy choices made when many other options were available," said Prof Alston.

The DWP said that the UN's own data put the UK 15th on the list of the happiest places to live.

"This is a barely believable documentation of Britain, based on a tiny period of time spent here. It paints a completely inaccurate picture of our approach to tackling poverty," a spokesman said.

"All the evidence shows that full-time work is the best way to boost your income and quality of life," the spokesman added.

Prof Alston praised the "resilience, strength and generosity" of British people, as well as the compassion of local officials and volunteers.

And he said there had been some positive developments, with increases in the Universal Credit work allowances expected to lift 200,000 people out of poverty, and plans to introduce a consistent measure of poverty.

But he said the "massive disinvestment" in the social safety net continued, making the changes seem like "window dressing to minimise political fall-out".

Despite the government's focus on work and record levels of employment, about 60% of people in poverty are in families where someone works, Prof Alston said.

He said this, along with welfare cuts, created a "highly combustible situation that will have dire consequences" in an extended economic downturn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48354692

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.