Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399399 times)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #16720 on: May 13, 2019, 11:00:21 am »
snip

This should be the mic drop post for this thread.

Absolutely my views in a way i couldn't put it.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #16721 on: May 13, 2019, 11:29:51 am »
What an incredible season. Before I get on to us and our brilliance, a word on City.

Personally I see it split. The club has clearly broken all sorts of financial rules which allows them to have an incredible squad, packed full of great players. This in turn ensures that even though De Bruyne misses most of the season that it’s essentially unimportant. The depth of their attacking options means they can play through 3 full domestic competitions without fatigue and form becoming an issue. It’s a ridiculously talented squad with one the world’s best managers with unlimited funding. On the other hand, that squad, those players, that manager have been put under immense pressure, and having a, probably corrupt oil-bank rolled group of owners does nothing once they’re out on the pitch. The way those players have won 14 on the bounce, fair play. They've been under immense pressure due to our performances. I thought they'd fail to win at least one league game. I think, hand on heart, the moment I didn't think it was going to happen was the 1-0 vs Spurs after that CL exit. If they drop points there I'm convinced we win this league.

--

I just want to talk about Liverpool now. The best Liverpool team, manager and squad that I've seen in my lifetime. 97 points and back to back Champions League finals confirms that beyond doubt in my mind. Moments of adversity overcome, development occurring in-front of our eyes.  Winning 30 games from 38. Losing once. A goal difference of +67. Sixty Seven.

I’m not sure how many games of footy I’ve actually been able to enjoy this season. Weirdly most of the ones I have were during the CL campaign! In the league it’s been a slog since day one. Going up against City you know that you’re going to need at least 95 points to have a chance, it gives almost no room for manoeuvre. Insane how stressful watching us has been. Emotionally I've never experienced anything like this. Truly, it makes you feel alive.

These group of lads. Immense. No-one has been bad. There are probably 6 players - Allison, Robbo, Trent, Virg, Mane and Mo that you could make a genuine argument for as our player of the season. Each has been magnificent since day one. Others will argue that Gini could be in that group, and, if the season had started in January, Fabinho definitely would be. Henderson and Milner have played and contributed like the leaders they are. Keita looks settled and raring to go. Lovren has been there when needed. Gomez and Matip have played at an elite level at opposite ends of the season. None of these are older than 28 years old, Milner excepted.

Klopp. Hero. Calm, confident, positive, smart. Encourages his players, gives them belief, sends them out with instructions, rips into them when the level drops even a bit. Loves them. Believes in them. Backs them. Brings together a supporter base that has been divided and apprehensive for too long. Harnessed that power. Re-built a fortress. Impeccable.

Three weeks to rest. Three weeks to recover. Three weeks to remember our pain. Three weeks to feel our loss. Three weeks to focus. Three weeks to prepare. Three weeks to get angry.

Perfect
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16722 on: May 13, 2019, 11:30:42 am »
With as little bias as possible here is my opinion on the comparison between where the 2 teams can improve their squads.

Here's where we can improve in the transfer market:

-New forward/winger at similar level to our front 3 so is good enough to rotate (e.g. Dybala)
-New #8/#10 in the mould of City's KDB or Silvas who are elite and passing/dribbling and have the ability to get near 10 goals and 10 assists in a season (Bruno Fernandes?)
Perhaps unfortunately I predict we only go for 1 of the above 2 signings or maybe a player or perhaps can bring in someone that can
-Back up left back.

Within our squad the following might make significant steps to improving our team:

- Ox and Gomez staying fit
- Keita continued integration
- Rest of the young players in squad might improve marginally

City can improve in the transfer market with:
- New CDM to compete with Fernandinho
- New left back
- New CB even (outcompete Otamendi/Kompany?)

Improvement within the squad:
- Mendy and KDB staying fit
- Sterling/Sane might become more productive still (younger than our front 3)
- Foden might see more time and develop

Regarding aging City players. Don't think Aguero is gonna drop off a cliff and they still got a capable Jesus who can improve. Kompany only played a third of the season so they're not as reliant as you think on him overall. D. Silva's possible decline can easily be accounted for just like they somehow accounted for KDB being injured the whole season. Between B. Silva, KDB, Gundogan and Foden they more or less got him covered. There's basically 0% chance they don't sign someone to compete with Fernandinho's spot.

Our possible transfers should in theory make more difference than their's though.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16723 on: May 13, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »
100%. When games come is such a weird factor as you play everyone twice and all that, but we played them at home at the wrong time too - right in the middle of a crazy run of fixtures for so early in the season [PSG, Napoli, chelsea away, city all bunched up].

Then the leicester game as well, bizarre as it sounds play that on a night the pitch isn't covered in snow and I think we win that. Play Everton 2 games later and we probably win that too. It's totally intangible like as it's something you can't have any control over.

Playing Arsenal away on the opening day was nice for them too. By the time we played them they had their act together. United Away came at a better time for them than us too.

I’m sure we had some go our way they we forget about but the Arsenal game in particular stands out.

Ah well, 100 points next season it is.

Offline btandt

• Boys Pen
« Reply #16724 on: May 13, 2019, 12:56:04 pm »
They spent 200M last year and ended up 2 points worse off.

They spent £61 million on Mahrez. Is all.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16725 on: May 13, 2019, 01:00:31 pm »
They spent £61 million on Mahrez. Is all.

You mean we, right? As you’re quite clearly a City fan.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16726 on: May 13, 2019, 01:13:06 pm »
Well done to the boys. We were very unfortunate.

We go 7 points clear then at the turn of the year we play City straight away. I believe if that game was say in March we would of gone on to win the title.

Also we had to play two of a main rivals in UTD and Everton back to back.
It did seem City were unchallenged after their defeat to Newcastle but credit to them.

For us to achieve 97 points is amazing. All the other teams in the league should be embarrassed to see two teams with 98 & 97 points.

Proud. I believe

I don't agree with that. That game could have gone either way. Literally millimeters in it for all 3 goals. If I had to pick out a moment that could have gone better (and with 97 points, it is ludicrous to do so seriously), it was the timing of our defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb. Milner is fantastic, but those games showed how much we suffered if we didn't have a flying threat at fullback on BOTH sides. One less injury, or have that crisis a week earlier (and so don't let Clyne go) and I think one of those draws becomes a win.

That's football though.

You know, I've a mate who is a Chelsea fan who just spammed LFC 2nd place memes the minute the final whistle went on Sunday. I just messaged them to say that while we might not have the title, this team just proved that they are better than EVERY other teams BEST EVER teams (bar City).

Better than the Invincibles.
Better than Mourinho's Chelsea.
Better than the fables Man Utd Treble team.

I'm alright with that.

Offline BurnCK

• Blue Moan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #16727 on: May 13, 2019, 01:23:49 pm »
They spent 200M last year and ended up 2 points worse off.

No we didn't. We spent £60mil on Mahrez

Offline BurnCK

• Blue Moan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #16728 on: May 13, 2019, 01:40:10 pm »
Nothing left now in this race except for the media to pretend they won it fair and square.

Still yet to be proven. Everyone one here is just hoping that 'Der Spiegel' articles are 100% true whilst ignoring the fact that the person who 'leaked' said information is currently being extradited for extortion and hacking.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16729 on: May 13, 2019, 01:46:29 pm »
Imagine being that much of a silly c*nt you come on your supposed teams forum to point out you got it right 14 or 15 games ago on the day your supposed team lost the league whilst a lot of fans are deflated, emotions are running high etc About a team that's pulling off miracles. A team you supposedly fucking support

But cos your upset you were called a fucking bed wetter due to the fact everything you post is negative and miserable, and you indeed are a fucking bed wetter and ,not a self titled realist like you seem to think you are you deluded bellends you need to get in there with that chip on ye shoulder to point out

"TOLD YE"

Fuck off ye silly twats I'm fucking sick of reading ye shite

Any ways..... UP THE FUCKING REDS AND JIB THESE FUCKING MISERY ARSES OFF

:thumbup
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16730 on: May 13, 2019, 01:50:35 pm »
Still yet to be proven. Everyone one here is just hoping that 'Der Spiegel' articles are 100% true whilst ignoring the fact that the person who 'leaked' said information is currently being extradited for extortion and hacking.

Jesus mate, go celebrate the title instead of arguing in here.  ;D

Whether it was hacked or not doesn’t change the story.

However, I also don’t see anything illegal in the information anyway. It’s not within the spirit of the game, but it’s not illegal. It’s accounting tricks and loopholes. The only thing I think your club could be pulled up on by uefa is the fair market value issue.

The issue I have is the source of the sheikhs money. Taken from his country’s reserves and put into a football club.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #16731 on: May 13, 2019, 02:17:27 pm »

Because whistle blowers, especially ones in the cyber sphere, are always dealt with justly. Just ask Chelsea Manning.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16732 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:41 pm »
Playing Arsenal away on the opening day was nice for them too. By the time we played them they had their act together. United Away came at a better time for them than us too.

I’m sure we had some go our way they we forget about but the Arsenal game in particular stands out.

Ah well, 100 points next season it is.

Yeah that arsenal game definitely stands out. Again, it's fine margins, but with our arsenal fixtures if we swapped the home and away [so at home first] I think we still beat them at home but end up beating them away too, they started to fall apart in the winter. Their Chelsea home fixture also came just as Chelsea were having their worst run too.

One of them, innit?
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16733 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:22 pm »
I don't agree with that. That game could have gone either way. Literally millimeters in it for all 3 goals. If I had to pick out a moment that could have gone better (and with 97 points, it is ludicrous to do so seriously), it was the timing of our defensive injury crisis in Jan/Feb. Milner is fantastic, but those games showed how much we suffered if we didn't have a flying threat at fullback on BOTH sides. One less injury, or have that crisis a week earlier (and so don't let Clyne go) and I think one of those draws becomes a win.

That's football though.

You know, I've a mate who is a Chelsea fan who just spammed LFC 2nd place memes the minute the final whistle went on Sunday. I just messaged them to say that while we might not have the title, this team just proved that they are better than EVERY other teams BEST EVER teams (bar City).

I'm alright with that.

Our achievement was amazing and so was City's.

Yes, the match at the start of the year could of gone either way but the time of that game suited City. It's not often 1 & 2 play each other nearly at the turn of the year.

We'd to play UTD and Everton away. I don't think City and to play Us and UTD away.

Look, I am not picking holes but what I am saying is the figures ran nicely for City but that's not taking anything away from them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:39:00 pm by Fordy »

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #16734 on: May 13, 2019, 02:56:59 pm »
I've decided I am going to be the one who writes "we might still get handed the title" if the investigations come to fruition.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16735 on: May 13, 2019, 03:00:09 pm »

I'm alright with that.

Spot on.

I was nervous at 1-0 yesterday. Not because I still thought we could win the league. That ship sailed with Kompany's strike on Monday night as far as I was concerned. But because I desperately wanted us to get to 97 points. Admittedly partly because I had a compensation bet a while ago that City would get 98 and we'd get 97, but also so that in years to come we can almost indisputably say that - as things stand - this Liverpool team is the second best team of the modern era. Unfortunately we happen to be playing at the same time as the best one.

That's how life - and sport - goes sometimes. Sometimes you can be dead good at something but not get the end result to reflect that. 97 points without a league title is the perfect example of that.

Away from football I'm a huge tennis fan. Andy Murray's talent and mentality deserved considerably more than three Grand Slams on his resumé in my view. But he just happened to be playing at the same time as probably the three greatest players in the history of the sport.

You know what though, Nadal, Federer and Djokovic drove Murray on to become a better player. Had he played in Tim Henman's era, he'd almost certainly have won considerably more titles and Grand Slams, despite probably not being the awesome player he became in his mid-twenties after fine-tuning his body and game. And eventually he got the rewards, even if it wasn't quite as many as he'd have envisaged as that young 17-year-old whippersnapper who went two sets up at Wimbledon against a recent finalist in David Nalbandian.

Our players could do worse than look at Murray for inspiration. Use this near-miss as motivation in Madrid and beyond. Don't let it count for nothing. I have every faith they will do so. How could you not after last Tuesday night?

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16736 on: May 13, 2019, 03:00:21 pm »
They've won it fair and square. They put 11 out, and so did we. Why are people being so bitter.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16737 on: May 13, 2019, 03:01:25 pm »
They've won it fair and square. They put 11 out, and so did we. Why are people being so bitter.

Well as fair and square as being financially doped by an oil state is.

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16738 on: May 13, 2019, 03:08:59 pm »

A hacking charge is an admission of guilt. If hes being done for hacking then hes obviously hacked the info, innit.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16739 on: May 13, 2019, 03:11:54 pm »
https://lfcglobe.co.uk/former-referee-highlights-turning-point-in-liverpools-failed-premier-league-title-bid/?utm_source=notif

Former referee highlights “turning point” in Liverpool’s failed Premier League title bid

Sergio Aguero and Leroy Sane scored either side of Roberto Firmino’s equaliser to win the game 2-1 for Pep Guardiola’s side. However, there was a controversial moment before Aguero’s opener as Kompany brought down Mohamed Salah, who looked to have taken the ball past the Belgian.

Referee Anthony Taylor handed him a yellow card, however, Klopp was adamant it should have been red instead, saying at the time: “I really like Vincent Kompany. I really like him but how on Earth is that not a red card?”

Former referee Hackett believes this moment was crucial in the title race, saying: “The turning point in the Premier League title was decided in the Man City v Liverpool game.

“31st minute when Kompany went in from distance with two feet off the ground on Mo Salah.

“Anthony Taylor failed to red card the offence! City won 2-1.”

It is perhaps rash to describe any moment in this title race as a “turning point”, with both sides receiving both good and bad fortune in equal measure.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16740 on: May 13, 2019, 03:12:48 pm »
Regarding the negativity, I'll admit to feeling very negative after the Leicester draw. But the only reason I thought that at the time is because I didn't think we would get 97 points, and that I thought we would have worse results after it. The fact that we didn't is amazing, and to me means you can't pick holes in anything we did. The fact we got within a point is incredible. If Guardiola gets manager of the year, it will be a joke.

I'll be honest, I'm not as optimistic for next season. City could look upon this as a warning shot and I've already heard rumblings on twitter they are planning a "big" summer. What the fuck that means to a club that averages £100m+ net spend per transfer window is anyone's guess.

If we can't catch them, the best thing for the long term of both the league and our club is for City to win another domestic treble and hit 100 points again. The only way to hurt the Premier League is when people stop watching on Sky/BT and the TV deal takes a dive. Then and only then might we see action.

On a more positive note, I can't see any world where we finish less than 2nd next season. United are a shambles, Arsenal need at least 3 first team defenders, Chelsea have a transfer ban and are losing their best player, and Spurs have 3 windows of transfers to catch up on - which will hurt them immensely next season IMO.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16741 on: May 13, 2019, 03:13:39 pm »

You'll catch some with that!

Seriously, the players did put in a ton of effort and deserved to be winners as much as ours did, that doesn't mean the club is worthy of being champions.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #16742 on: May 13, 2019, 03:15:07 pm »

Honestly can't think of any reason...

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16743 on: May 13, 2019, 03:16:50 pm »
Regarding the negativity, I'll admit to feeling very negative after the Leicester draw. But the only reason I thought that at the time is because I didn't think we would get 97 points...

I think this is what it all boils down to really...right up to city beating burnley I didn't regret any result, I was sure they'd drop points. I'd always thought 95 would be enough until probably early april. They were relentless, i'll give them that.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline red_bird

• Main Stander
« Reply #16744 on: May 13, 2019, 03:18:56 pm »
for me the Kompany non-red carded definitely is the key moment. Any other games that we "could've" won probably even themselves out with the games we "could've" draw or lost also.
it's an amazing journey with effort and achievement by the whole team and Klopp. Let's win the last game and finish the season on a high!
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16745 on: May 13, 2019, 03:22:41 pm »
Why would you be in here arguing with Liverpool fans when you've just won the title? For God's sake, man. :butt

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16746 on: May 13, 2019, 03:45:26 pm »
On the 4th January I printed off all of our remaining fixtures and put results against them. I had us finishing with 96 points. So to better that and still not win the title is extremely bittersweet. I know we can point to various moments throughout the season that didn't go our way, but it really would be nit-picking. We gave it absolutely everything and just came up short. I'm thrilled we have a super team to be proud of, and a manager who understands what being Liverpool manager is all about, and that we're challenging for titles again.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16747 on: May 13, 2019, 03:46:23 pm »
Do piss off. Your club is plastic, your owners are murderous tyrants and your fans, including you, are gobshites. Speaks volumes that you come onto a Liverpool forum spouting shite no less than 24 hours after your team's won a Premier League. Would love to see you talking that same bollocks on June 1st when we lift a trophy for the 6th time that you haven't even reached the final for even with your best squad ever.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16748 on: May 13, 2019, 03:49:15 pm »
Anyone who says they wouldn't take 97 points again next season is kidding themselves.  Let's do it again, and see what trophies come from that.  We need to add some depth up front, probably another central midfielder, and some defensive cover, but we are a fukin boss side with a lot players entering their primes.  Bring on next league season!

Offline red_bird

• Main Stander
« Reply #16749 on: May 13, 2019, 03:53:40 pm »
i just don't see this Man City team could maintain what they've achieved for the past 2 years. i think them missing out on this season's CL while having the squad at it's peak could be the closest they could get in the competition in years to come.
the invaluable experience getting from the title run-in by our still young squad would be ready for the challenge in the coming seasons. 
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16750 on: May 13, 2019, 03:59:10 pm »
I think this is what it all boils down to really...right up to city beating burnley I didn't regret any result, I was sure they'd drop points. I'd always thought 95 would be enough until probably early april. They were relentless, i'll give them that.

Back in the early days of this thread I was very confident we’d win. I think i said that avoiding defeat to City would be important (captain obvious) but either way I thought 95 points would certainly win it.

We reached that, and then some. Don’t think anyone could have predicted the second half of the season they’d have.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #16751 on: May 13, 2019, 04:01:34 pm »
Back in the early days of this thread I was very confident we’d win. I think i said that avoiding defeat to City would be important (captain obvious) but either way I thought 95 points would certainly win it.

We reached that, and then some. Don’t think anyone could have predicted the second half of the season they’d have.

Same here..95pts i thought would have been enough too.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16752 on: May 13, 2019, 04:11:56 pm »
There's a couple I look at. Bear in mind this doesn't mean I think we "threw it away" or any such shite and that I'm also including some City games in this list:

Us Vs Arsenal at their place in November. We had a perfectly good goal ruled off because the ref/linesman didn't know the offside rule.

the City game at their place with the non red card for Kompany, Sadio hitting the post then hitting Stones who just got it off the line before they got the first goal. We looked the better team that day and the fact we lost 2-1 with all of that was galling. Didn't think it would be so significant at the time.

The Leicester game where we both battled through the horrible weather and Maguire not getting a red. Add the fact he then scored a goal after a rash and avoidable foul by Robbo which we didn't defend properly and then we didn't get a absolute stonewaller pen of our own towards the end when Keita had his foot stood on so he couldn't shoot.

Us Vs United (more that the derby). We just couldn't get going in a game that was full of injury disruptions and stoppages that meant we couldn't get any rhythm started. Lots of the ball but just couldn't break them down. Got to give grudging respect to the noise their fans made and the defiance they showed in defence as this was as good as it got for the fuckers before the collapse of snake mountain.

City Vs Spurs just after the champions League games. Spurs were goosed, no energy left at all but still could have scored a hatful if Son had his shooting boots on. He missed about 3 one on ones that I remember, think Moura had one too. City spent the last 10 minutes booting the ball to row Z to get the pressure off.

City Vs Leicester. Vincent Kompany wouldn't do again that in a year of Sundays, let alone a fucking month. City were desperate and Leicester had them bang to rights with their defensive work. City couldn't create any real chances. The less said about Ihenacho at the end the better.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16753 on: May 13, 2019, 04:16:43 pm »
i just don't see this Man City team could maintain what they've achieved for the past 2 years.

The problem is that I can. As long as Pep is there, I can.

People love to look at Guardiola's record and criticise him for only doing it with the biggest clubs, the best players and lots of money. It's a stupid criticism. Most jobs in life have different levels to them and these jobs are usually suited to different people. The CEO of a major bank is unlikely to know how to get the best out of a single branch and vice-versa, the successful branch/are manager is unlikely to do as good a job right at the top. It's about skill sets and finding the one for the right situation.

City have been spending for years, but how much have they ever looked like a club that could sustain success - let alone one that could sustain success to record breaking levels? Getting the very, very best out of the top tier of players is a skill many have proved not to have. Good old Hodgson certainly didn't have it and to some extent, neither did Brendan. Managers like Pulis, Alardyce and Hodgson are not bad managers (broadly speaking), they are simply good at a certain level. Some managers are escapologists. Some are great and motivating up and comers (which normally then falls away after a year or two) and some are equipped to manage at the top. VERY few are equipped to manage at the VERY top. Guardiola is.

He has a very specific and very successful way of playing. Yes he needs extremely talented players to execute it, but he does it better than most managers out there at doing that. That's why it's worrying. If he had less money and had to survive on maybe half a squad he didn't 100% like, or if City had the same group of players and some other coach? I'd not be concerned. I'd not believe they could repeat this. Unfortunately I think with Pep, they can.

I'm not saying we can't match them or even beat them (this is a post about them and not us), I think we can because we also have the right man for the situation.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16754 on: May 13, 2019, 04:16:54 pm »
I remember when the fixture lists were being talked about for the run in, both teams had about 12 games left and the general feeling was "plenty of twists and turns to come" "both teams will drop points" "who makes less mistakes".
Not one mistake by either team, no twists and turns, no dropped points, both teams won every single game, I've never seen a title race like it, normally one team falls away. What both teams have done is incredible,  Liverpool more so considering you didn't spend 2 billion to get here. 
Should be another close one next season.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16755 on: May 13, 2019, 04:17:49 pm »
I remember when the fixture lists were being talked about for the run in, both teams had about 12 games left and the general feeling was "plenty of twists and turns to come" "both teams will drop points" "who makes less mistakes".
Not one mistake by either team, no twists and turns, no dropped points, both teams won every single game, I've never seen a title race like it, normally one team falls away. What both teams have done is incredible,  Liverpool more so considering you didn't spend 2 billion to get here. 
Should be another close one next season.

We hope so mate, for the first time in a long time, I'm confident in our team being able to sustain another challenge and not falter away.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16756 on: May 13, 2019, 04:18:41 pm »
The problem is that I can. As long as Pep is there, I can.

People love to look at Guardiola's record and criticise him for only doing it with the biggest clubs, the best players and lots of money. It's a stupid criticism. Most jobs in life have different levels to them and these jobs are usually suited to different people. The CEO of a major bank is unlikely to know how to get the best out of a single branch and vice-versa, the successful branch/are manager is unlikely to do as good a job right at the top. It's about skill sets and finding the one for the right situation.

City have been spending for years, but how much have they ever looked like a club that could sustain success - let alone one that could sustain success to record breaking levels? Getting the very, very best out of the top tier of players is a skill many have proved not to have. Good old Hodgson certainly didn't have it and to some extent, neither did Brendan. Managers like Pulis, Alardyce and Hodgson are not bad managers (broadly speaking), they are simply good at a certain level. Some managers are escapologists. Some are great and motivating up and comers (which normally then falls away after a year or two) and some are equipped to manage at the top. VERY few are equipped to manage at the VERY top. Guardiola is.

He has a very specific and very successful way of playing. Yes he needs extremely talented players to execute it, but he does it better than most managers out there at doing that. That's why it's worrying. If he had less money and had to survive on maybe half a squad he didn't 100% like, or if City had the same group of players and some other coach? I'd not be concerned. I'd not believe they could repeat this. Unfortunately I think with Pep, they can.

I'm not saying we can't match them or even beat them (this is a post about them and not us), I think we can because we also have the right man for the situation.

Then get ready for another title race just like this season.  :wave

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16757 on: May 13, 2019, 04:23:38 pm »
Then get ready for another title race just like this season.  :wave

Bring it.

Loved (almost) every minute of this one. This is what I watch sport for. Trophies are icing. The gut-wrenching week to week, minute to minute is what I'm here for!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:25:58 pm by Romford_Red »

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16758 on: May 13, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »
We hope so mate, for the first time in a long time, I'm confident in our team being able to sustain another challenge and not falter away.

Ive never ever predicted Liverpool to win the league before, unfortunately for you I was ultimately right every time.

As things stand, I make you favourites for next season, I see Citys main players hitting 30s, and the younger ones are not the reliable winners that have carried them through this era, I don't see a repeat season from Aguero/Kompany etc.  I think if you get a gap on them next season, they wont come back. It depends on who they bring in this summer, and who you bring in,but if the season was to start now I expect you to win it, I think you are more balanced and have a far better defence.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16759 on: May 13, 2019, 04:25:55 pm »
Barring Watford beating the odds in the cup final, we renew hostilities with Man City in the community shield on 4th August don't we?