Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799023 times)

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #16040 on: May 24, 2017, 11:45:03 am »
Is anyone still running? It's been very quiet in here ;)

I'm enjoying Ultra training more than marathon training for a number of reasons:

- running along beautiful trails like the SDW and the Ridgeway just feels amazing in spite of the ridiculous hills
- running at a much slower pace just makes it feel a lot easier and more enjoyable
- not having to check my watch for my pace and heart rate to make sure I'm running at the correct intensity is liberating
- running on soft terrain feels much better for my knees, ankles, feet etc
- stuffing my face with tasty oat bars and proper food on a long run is much better than sickly gels
- club interval sessions feel a lot easier which is a bit strange as I'm generally running slower the rest of the time but I feel so fresh for them and can really go all out and nail them
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:49:47 am by weebroalan »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16041 on: May 24, 2017, 03:22:13 pm »
Weebroalan:   I got back on it today. Only 4 miles - but in the midday heat!   I think I must have over-trained this winter.  Today, 6:30/mile in 26 degrees under the midday sun felt easier than 7:30/mile in the rain the other week. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16042 on: May 24, 2017, 03:46:32 pm »
I've had a decent block of training since the end of March, been over 50 miles every week except 1, the last 3 weeks have been relatively big with 61, 58 & 56 miles. Going easy this week & resting up ahead of the London 10,000 on bank holiday Monday, hoping to run well there.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16043 on: May 24, 2017, 03:51:25 pm »
I've had a decent block of training since the end of March, been over 50 miles every week except 1, the last 3 weeks have been relatively big with 61, 58 & 56 miles. Going easy this week & resting up ahead of the London 10,000 on bank holiday Monday, hoping to run well there.

Good luck bud.   I was thinking of entering last month until my training fell off a cliff.  I hope the weather cools down a bit for you, it's been really hot in London today.  Mind you, I haven't acclimatised as I haven't been training. 

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16044 on: May 24, 2017, 04:13:21 pm »
Old: good luck for the 10,000. Should be a big crowd there to spur you on and thats some serious consistent mileage. Good to see you are over your injury around the time of Reading HM

PB: you are in good shape if you are knocking out 6:30's in 26 degree heat!

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16045 on: May 24, 2017, 05:22:49 pm »
When is your Ultra?   The training sounds more enjoyable for you. 

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16046 on: May 24, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »
Is anyone still running? It's been very quiet in here ;)

I'm enjoying Ultra training more than marathon training for a number of reasons:

- running along beautiful trails like the SDW and the Ridgeway just feels amazing in spite of the ridiculous hills
- running at a much slower pace just makes it feel a lot easier and more enjoyable
- not having to check my watch for my pace and heart rate to make sure I'm running at the correct intensity is liberating
- running on soft terrain feels much better for my knees, ankles, feet etc
- stuffing my face with tasty oat bars and proper food on a long run is much better than sickly gels
- club interval sessions feel a lot easier which is a bit strange as I'm generally running slower the rest of the time but I feel so fresh for them and can really go all out and nail them

Rock n roll at the weekend. Planning on having a laugh and not worrying about the time at all

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16047 on: May 25, 2017, 10:27:05 am »
Mark: is that the RnR Marathon you're doing? Gonna be hot this weekend!

PB: Ultra is 24th June, 53 miles across the South Downs Way. I've really only got a couple of long runs left now beofre I start tapering. I'm doing the Needles XC Marathon which is a very hilly trail marathon on the Isle of Wight in 10 days time. That will be a good indication of where I am fitness wise but I'm definitely feeling great at the minute and loving the training.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16048 on: May 25, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »
Good luck bud.   I was thinking of entering last month until my training fell off a cliff.  I hope the weather cools down a bit for you, it's been really hot in London today.  Mind you, I haven't acclimatised as I haven't been training. 

The weather gods appear to be in my favour, cooling down on Monday. Still forecasted to be 17 degrees at the 10am start but that's 5 degrees cooler than today & tomorrow, could well be a bit of rain around too.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16049 on: May 25, 2017, 02:27:07 pm »
"53 miles across the South Downs Way."

blinkin heck. 

i'm on holiday in not so sunny california. Outside my brothers flat there is a lake with a 3 mile path around it i can see it from the sofa.  Its interesting to reflect how running has become part of my life as sitting here looking at the lake all i can think of is fitting in some time to run around it and if the niggle in my ankle will get better or worse with a morning jog.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16050 on: May 26, 2017, 01:53:35 pm »
Have you seen the line-up for Pre this weekend?   The 5000 is stacked (28 athletes I think, maybe even 29) with 8 sub-13 PBs.  Dibaba is going for the WR in the women's 5000.  There's the first rematch between Kiprop and Centrowitz (in the mile though).  A 16 yo is going for a sub-4 min mile.  Muir is also running her first 1500 of the season. 

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16051 on: May 26, 2017, 04:12:42 pm »
Looks like there should be some good racing PB

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16052 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:16 pm »
Mark: is that the RnR Marathon you're doing? Gonna be hot this weekend!

PB: Ultra is 24th June, 53 miles across the South Downs Way. I've really only got a couple of long runs left now beofre I start tapering. I'm doing the Needles XC Marathon which is a very hilly trail marathon on the Isle of Wight in 10 days time. That will be a good indication of where I am fitness wise but I'm definitely feeling great at the minute and loving the training.

Half mate. Think the temperature is dropping come sunday.

I'm not taking it seriously at all. May have a bevvy on the way round.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16053 on: May 27, 2017, 01:42:23 am »
10 mile pb tonight in 62:40.  :)
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16054 on: May 27, 2017, 04:11:00 am »
10 mile pb tonight in 62:40.  :)

well in !

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16055 on: May 27, 2017, 09:46:00 am »
Mark: sounds like a great day then. Have fun!

K: well done on the PB. Surely you would get close to sub60 in a race?

Just a 20 miler this morning because this is a recovery week. Definitely needed it as legs are very tired. I've got the Needles XC Marathon next Sunday so that will give me an idea of what kind of pace to be looking at in the race.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16056 on: May 27, 2017, 10:26:54 am »
It's the inaugural Dorchester Marathon for me tomorrow. Was quite relieved to be woken last night by a massive thunderstorm; well needed to clear the muggy, hot air of the last week. The temperature should stay below 20 for the race anyway. Training's been 50/50 so I'm not sure what to expect on this undulating course with a couple of decent climbs thrown in; certainly not a pb course.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16057 on: May 27, 2017, 01:08:29 pm »
Mr B: possibility of collecting a pot? Might have to see how the opening couple of miles go & see if your racing it at the pointy end.

Best of luck

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16058 on: May 27, 2017, 01:34:59 pm »
All the best Mr B - hopefully you bag some silverware. I'm sure you'll smash it as usual 😀

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16059 on: May 27, 2017, 08:24:31 pm »
Old No7/weebroalan: Really not sure who's going to show up for this. A couple of team mates who may have been interested have recently caned themselves elsewhere and Mr S Way won't use it as a jog in the countryside as he's doing Comrades next week. I know there's one guy on the list who did 2:41 in VLM last month; suppose it depends how he's feeling 'cause I'm nowhere near that level right now.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16060 on: May 27, 2017, 09:21:54 pm »
Good luck, Mr B!

Woke up this morning and the weather was pretty miserable - 2 degrees, foggy and damp. Checked Facebook and saw a few people ranting about the weather (among other things). Considered hitting the treadmill but decided to suck it up and hit the trail near my house. About 3km in, a moose was on the path to greet me, about 30 yards away. Wish I brought the phone to take a pic. Great sight. Hopefully she'll be back in the fall, because I'm low on meat.  ;)

In short, get out there: it's amazing.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16061 on: May 27, 2017, 09:34:10 pm »
Mr. B:  Good luck tomorrow! 

Farah just did 13:00 at Pre.  They still can't beat him.  Kamworor was talking himself up pre-race, but that was a great win from Farah considering the depth of quality in the race.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16062 on: May 27, 2017, 10:08:03 pm »
A 16 year old just ran sub-4 (3:58) for the mile.  The first time that's been done.   

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16063 on: May 27, 2017, 10:45:03 pm »
Kopenhagen: met a young stag head on about 6am this morning on the trail. Stared at each other and it bolted into the river. Amazing. Love being out in the wild and seeing animals face to face like that.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16064 on: May 28, 2017, 02:55:16 am »
Kopenhagen: met a young stag head on about 6am this morning on the trail. Stared at each other and it bolted into the river. Amazing. Love being out in the wild and seeing animals face to face like that.

One of the great things about the trails. Just gives you a deep sense of peace.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16065 on: May 28, 2017, 06:26:46 am »
A 16 year old just ran sub-4 (3:58) for the mile.  The first time that's been done.   

Man alive.

Apparently the lead bike on rock n roll 5k took a shorter route. Find it mad that could happen.

I was fine though. 🤓

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16066 on: May 28, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »
is anybody on here a Doctor ?  Has anyone ever experienced a microvascular third nerve palsy ?

my trip here in the states has been somewhat ruined by the sudden onset of the condition above. Skipping the scary bits i am left with double vision when i have both eyes open. Its totally disorientating but manageable with one eye closed.  To such end i bought an eye patch and went running this morning.  It felt fine (the running) if a little uncomfortable wearing an eye patch, although being called a pirate by a little kid was funny.

Anyway ..  should i be running ? I never thought to ask in the hozzy and i cant find anything online.  Probably i should have waited and asked my own doctor next week but i think i sort of convinced my self the extra blood flow around my body would help...

Does anyone know anything about any of this ?  Even where to get a decent eye patch ?

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16067 on: May 29, 2017, 04:00:27 pm »
CP: wish I could offer some advice, sounds scary though (not the pirate bit), hope it gets sorted soon.

London 10,000 for me today, big field with just under 13,000 finishers, I was near the front so it didn't take long to pass a few slower runners who got ambitious, can imagine there may have been some bottle necks though. Anyway as hoped the good field dragged me round, pretty consistent pacing I think (my gps was a bit off), finished in 35:12, good enough for 216th & an 18 second pb. That's the first pb since October 2014, made up with that

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16068 on: May 29, 2017, 05:48:58 pm »
Old No7: Big pb there, nice one. You're getting close to the 35min milestone, you should be pleased.

Hell of day for me at the Dorchester Marathon with highs and proper lows, emotionally speaking: There were 3 or 4 guys I knew of on the start line who I knew were better than or a similar standard to me so thought there was potential for a placing. The one guy I knew was in shape as he'd run 2:41 at VLM shot off from the start and pulled out couple of hundred metres before we'd even got half a mile. I was running in a group of about 4 for the first half mile but as soon as we hit the smallish hill which was Dorchester high street I was running alone just by maintaining a reasonable pace. Anyway I thought if I could keep the leader in view I'd have a chance. I suppose he got 300m ahead for a while but by 10 miles or so I was sure he was coming back to me, especially on any hills.

Got to 17 miles running up an nasty little incline on a hairpin bend which was in the middle of Puddletown, a very small but famous village. My wife and daughter were here so all got a bit excited as I was just closing in on the leader who I mangaged to drop around 17.5 miles. I was on my own with the lead car then -I'd never lead a marathon- which was an odd experience as it's hard maintain your pace due to the car pacing off of you and not the other way around.

Got to 20 miles and was starting to feel it a bit then as the course started to bite; with some nasty inclines, culminating with a massive hill from 23 to 24 miles. I'd also caught up with the HM which started after the marathon so I was passing hundreds of them, many of whom said nice things as I went past which meant I felt I needed to politely reply; could have done with out the pleasantries. I'd had several looks back down the road and could see no one from the marathon catching me up even though I had slowed considerably on the hill. The lead vehicle had now changed to just a bike and I'd got his attention so he could give me a drink. I also asked if he could seen anyone coming up to which he answered 'no, we've broken them now'. I just had 2 miles all down hill to the finish now but unusually for me my hamstrings were starting to cramp which at one point round 24.5mi made me stop for about 10/15 secs to stretch out. I got going but every time I increase pace below 7min/mi they started to twitch again so I was then in damage limitation. Plenty of looking back down the course but still couldn't see anyone coming and neither could the lead bike, although there were a lot of HM runners on one side of the road, leaving room for me to stay on the right, behind the bike.

I could see the tented village and was just about to turn into the finishing field when this guy came sprinting past me with literally 200 meters or so to go. I just assumed he was an over keen HM runner who was giving the big heave-ho for the line. I even said sarcastically to the lead bike that I hope he wasn't in the marathon....well, he was; must have seen me in a bit of trouble and came down the hill in amongst the HM runners. It was a good move by him because I had no time at all to react. Not saying I could have but it would have been nice to see him coming so I could have had the option to race to the line.

Once the dust had settled I decided I was happy with second but I was so close to winning my first ever race. Oh, as I friend of mine said, at least I hammered him on age grading; he was only in his 20s. I ended up with a big positive split due to the hillier second half, of 2:53:21. The winner had 2:53 dead.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16069 on: May 29, 2017, 08:40:05 pm »
Great running there, lads. Very impressive.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16070 on: May 29, 2017, 08:40:40 pm »
Old:  Congrats on the big PB.  Must be chuffed.  Muggy today in London too, but not sure how it was in the morning.  I just did 4 miles and it was a bit close. 

Mr. B:  well done on the 2nd place.  That's a bit of an arse having the HM runners mixed in and not being able to tell who was who.   Like you say, would have been good to have an opportunity to keep the lead.  Showing the young guns how it's done; you're an inspiration mate.

Nice one fellas, chuffed for you both.  Great racing.  I do wish I could get into racing like you both and use my training. 

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16071 on: May 29, 2017, 09:23:10 pm »
Well done. Great running all.

Took it steady yesterday. Needed a paula at mile 8 so official time with poop is about 1:53.

Had the beers after. It's a great day and wonderful to be able to get out and support the marathon runners come home

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16072 on: May 30, 2017, 04:46:26 am »
good running chaps .. great story mr boat. It's something when the young guns have to sneak up on you to steal first !

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16073 on: May 30, 2017, 09:15:26 am »
Old: Well done of the PB - glad to see all the training is paying off.

Mr B: great racing and as you say if you knew he was coming then you might have been able to react but still fantastic to place 2nd in a marathon!

Offline Jamesie

• Main Stander
« Reply #16074 on: May 30, 2017, 01:56:50 pm »
Old No. 7, well done! I was pretty near the back of the blue wave so found it quite congested in parts. Wasn't pushing for a time as I'd done the mile the day previously so was happy to come in on 41 minutes with a faster 2nd half. Think I'd like to do it again and "race" it thought. Great weekend.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #16075 on: May 30, 2017, 02:42:06 pm »

On a similar note, local club lad has just ran 1:50.04 as a 15yr old

Halifax Harriers Max Burgin who has just gone 15 ran an incredible time of 1:50:04 for 800m at the British Milers Club Grand Prix at the Sports City Manchester. Max running in the ‘C’ race finished in first place and set the second fastest time ever run in the world by a 15 year old. His time is also the third fastest time by anyone U17 in the UK. Max has almost 2 more years in left to run in this age group.
Earlier in the year whilst still 14 he ran 1:52:08 for an age best time by any 14 year old in Europe.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16076 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:55 pm »
Old No. 7, well done! I was pretty near the back of the blue wave so found it quite congested in parts. Wasn't pushing for a time as I'd done the mile the day previously so was happy to come in on 41 minutes with a faster 2nd half. Think I'd like to do it again and "race" it thought. Great weekend.

I saw your mile on Strava.  Nice going mate.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16077 on: May 30, 2017, 06:33:39 pm »

I saw your mile on Strava.  Nice going mate.

On a similar note, local club lad has just ran 1:50.04 as a 15yr old

Halifax Harriers Max Burgin who has just gone 15 ran an incredible time of 1:50:04 for 800m at the British Milers Club Grand Prix at the Sports City Manchester. Max running in the ‘C’ race finished in first place and set the second fastest time ever run in the world by a 15 year old. His time is also the third fastest time by anyone U17 in the UK. Max has almost 2 more years in left to run in this age group.
Earlier in the year whilst still 14 he ran 1:52:08 for an age best time by any 14 year old in Europe.

Superb.   That's bloody rapid. 

Offline hartless

• will run & run & run...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16078 on: May 30, 2017, 07:53:12 pm »
Old: Saw your splits on Strava and the Gap analysis - Excellent running.

Boat: Some nasty climbs on that route; especially near the end. Looked brutal. Well done on the placing. Feel for you though!

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16079 on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:20 pm »
Thanks all, enjoyed the big field. Fancy a crack at sub 35 but would need the conditions to be close to perfect i think. That race is a great chance to post a fast time

Peabee: it was a bit warm but not too bad, there were a couple of moments when i felt it, but 2 water stations gave the chance to put some water over my head, there was a spray station to run through also.

Hartless: splits are a bit misleading, my gps went a bit wrong at some point & added some extra distance in. Looking on strava most other people had the course the right distance. Keen to see the 5k split when they publish it.

Jamesie: how was the mile? Can well imagine it was congested from the back of the blue wave. We pushed as far forward as we could but I was still further back than I would have liked.

Mr B: thought you might be in with a shout. Gutting to lose it late on especially when you had others telling you that you were clear. HM must have been a mixed bag, bet it helped having people to chase down but cost you when the winner snuck through, can understand a small event needing to put more than one race on. Great racing though & well done, must have been an enjoyable change of scene from London? Massive climb late on excluded of course!