Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4130844 times)

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2005, 11:48:18 pm »
I would love AK to be the real deal but it remains to be seen. JC IS the real deal and has already proven it.

Calzaghe has managed to avoid many of the top fighters. He has undoubted talent but his career is one big missed opportunity.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2005, 11:49:18 pm »
Calzaghe has managed to avoid many of the top fighters. He has undoubted talent but his career is one big missed opportunity.

He has beaten everyone put in fornt of him it's not his fault he hasn't been given the big fights. Lacy next after he dispatches this joker.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2005, 11:52:01 pm »
Calzaghe needs to stop talking as if he's some sort of "great" then. He's a good contender, but still fairly unproven at top level. At the age of 33, that's unacceptable.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: Calzaghe/Khan
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2005, 11:52:07 pm »
I hope exactly the opposite.

Oh, and I hope calazage gets a good pasting. Seems a little too arrogant for my liking...

Nice bloke in person though.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2005, 11:54:07 pm »
Calzaghe needs to stop talking as if he's some sort of "great" then. He's a good contender, but still fairly unproven at top level. At the age of 33, that's unacceptable.

Again who's fault is that ? Calzaghe can only beat what's infront of him which he has every time.

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2005, 11:55:08 pm »
He doesn't need to keep signing contracts with the same promoter. He's been over the moon to make a fortune with a string of soft defenses.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2005, 11:57:47 pm »
He doesn't need to keep signing contracts with the same promoter. He's been over the moon to make a fortune with a string of soft defenses.

When has he ever ducked anyone ? Not a question of him being over the moon more that a) he didn't get the respect and no one big came for his title. Lacy could well beat him and will go in as favourite. For me the fight comes far too late for him but I sitll owuldn't underestimate him. Lacy killed a sub par Reid who was un fit.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2005, 12:01:53 am »
He called out Roy Jones, Antonio Tarver when he KNEW they had far, far bigger fish to fry. He pulled out of fights with both Glen Johnson and Clinton Woods citing mysterious "injuries". Joe's a comfort zone fighter - check boxing forums and you'll find that's a very commonly held viewpoint. I think it's a shame he doesn't have more heart, because he certainly has the talent - albeit talent that is diminishing now, as his current struggle with a blown up middleweight who was blown out in two at the lower weight last year shows.

I wouldn't dislike him so much if he didn't talk so much shit about fighters who've been willing to go in with the best and win genuine world titles.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2005, 12:07:10 am »
He called out Roy Jones, Antonio Tarver when he KNEW they had far, far bigger fish to fry. He pulled out of fights with both Glen Johnson and Clinton Woods citing mysterious "injuries". Joe's a comfort zone fighter - check boxing forums and you'll find that's a very commonly held viewpoint. I think it's a shame he doesn't have more heart, because he certainly has the talent - albeit talent that is diminishing now, as his current struggle with a blown up middleweight who was blown out in two at the lower weight last year shows.

I wouldn't dislike him so much if he didn't talk so much shit about fighters who've been willing to go in with the best and win genuine world titles.

I think your view of him has been somewhat tinted by his mouth more than his gloves.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2005, 12:12:07 am »
Looks as though he's feigning injury now - Not surprising, given his recent newspaper article in which he stated that the Lacy fight may well be scuppered by future injury.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2005, 01:03:04 am »
But with  8 defences off his title i think he has earned the right to be arrogant

Not when you look at who hes fought he doesnt. He didnt have to stay with Warren, who seems to get the blame for him not getting the big fights. The truth is, Joe doesnt want them. He makes the right noises, but when it comes to the crunch it has never came off has it?

I remember watching him against David Starie on the Tyson/Francis Undercard in Manchester 5 years ago, and even then he was giving it large about how great he is and spat his dummy out when Ian Darke told him what a bad performance it was. Calzaghe has proven nothing as far as im concerned. He has it all to prove. His fight tonight raised more questions about him rather than answer any. 8 years of beating easy opponents that a fighter as "great" as Joe seems to think he is should be blowing these guys away.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2005, 01:13:12 am »
Not when you look at who hes fought he doesnt. He didnt have to stay with Warren, who seems to get the blame for him not getting the big fights. The truth is, Joe doesnt want them. He makes the right noises, but when it comes to the crunch it has never came off has it?

I remember watching him against David Starie on the Tyson/Francis Undercard in Manchester 5 years ago, and even then he was giving it large about how great he is and spat his dummy out when Ian Darke told him what a bad performance it was. Calzaghe has proven nothing as far as im concerned. He has it all to prove. His fight tonight raised more questions about him rather than answer any. 8 years of beating easy opponents that a fighter as "great" as Joe seems to think he is should be blowing these guys away.
   To be honest i know very little off the guy just seen in this posty that he has 8 defencives off  his titled and thought that maybe warranted something.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2005, 01:22:01 am »
Nah mate, Joe would like you to think that though. His excuses are all wearing very thin at the minute. He slags off Hatton, which I thought was a disgrace as Ricky has always been more than willing to back up anything he has said. Ricky actually wants the big fights against the top guys, he was dying for them. For Joe to have a go at him was a disgrace, especially as hes never really fought anyone except Eubank, and I think its safe to say Chris was finished by that time. Joe seems to have a lot of talent, but time is running out for him. He needs to get the Lacy fight sealed while theirs still interest in it.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2005, 01:37:07 am »
Now Eubank their was a guy i loved to hate,damn he had class and could box as well.Allthough i think he lost the killer instinict after that fatal night,i think was it the collins fight where he had him at is mercy on the ropes and refraind from hitting him.thats when he should have retired  right their and then. Allso just sitting here waiting on the Moralles and Pacquai double header and all going well we will see their round 2 early next year.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 01:46:31 am by Bronx Red »

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2005, 03:32:47 am »
Well pacman has so far kept his side off the bargain 6th round stoppage,was in vewry good shape.Ya gotta love theway the guy is willing to walk into a punch to get on the attack,maybe stupid but for the fans kool.Now looken foeward to the next

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2005, 04:30:11 am »
I know im talken to myself here  ;) but morrallas is getting killed here  :-[ .AHH well wasn't to be  is this the end off a warrior.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 04:40:27 am by Bronx Red »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2005, 06:59:22 am »
Wow, Heard about Morales and im pretty shocked. Would of loved to of seen a Pac man vs Morales rematch. Hope it isnt his last fight, did he look finished?

Just found these clips as well of the Man! For those that have never seen him, take a look....

Awesome offensive fighter, and hes not bad with the defensive side either....

Pretty Boy Floyd with the Skills that make the Mills ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 07:07:15 am by Mirra »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2005, 07:11:57 am »
Oh and for those defending Calzaghe, take a read of this. Hits the nail right on the head...

"They never planned on fighting Jeff Lacy," stated promoter Gary Shaw upon hearing from FightNews that the highly anticipated November 5th showdown between IBF champion Lacy and the longtime WBO champion Joe Calzaghe would be delayed due to hand injury Calzaghe suffered on Saturday in Cardiff, Wales in the 17th defense of his title. "All Calzahge talked about was about a possible injury he could suffer in this fight (with Ashira). If he wanted to fight Jeff Lacy, he would have fought Jeff Lacy instead of Ashira. The fight (with Ashira) was not a mandatory. Ashira is not even a true super middleweight!"

The southpaw Calzaghe injured his left hand so severely battering the head of the 5' 7" Ashira with his trademark left hook that he was forced to rely upon his jab after the fourth round.

Frank Warren announced after the fight that the Lacy vs. Calzaghe superfight scheduled for November 5th would be delayed. Calzaghe is scheduled to have his hand x-rayed for broken bones.

This was the 17th defense of Calzaghe and most critics thought it would be one of his easiest.

Also, most critics – both in the UK and in the U.S. - thought it was a stupid move of Warren and Calzaghe to take such fight with so much at risk, particularly considering the long history of frequent hand and back injuries that Calzaghe suffers before and after fights.

Ashira was only recently ranked by the WBO as super middleweight and he has never fought as full-fledged super middleweight before the Calzaghe fight. The career high weight for Ashira - who once held the WBA International middleweight title and lost a bid for the WBA middleweight belt in May 2004 against Maselino Masoe – was 163.5 pounds back in February 2003.

"The fans have been cheated, particularly those who have supported Joe Calzaghe," stated an irate Shaw. "There was no reason to take this fight. There was no upside to this fight. Calzaghe wanted a way out and he found it. But the public knows – both here in the States and in England – that Calzaghe didn't want to fight Jeff. Jeff was willing to go to Wales, to London, it didn't make a difference. Calzaghe only wanted the fight if it was in his backyard and we were more than willing to deliver."

Shaw continued: "Jeff Lacy is now considered by everyone the 168-pound king. Frank Warren and Joe Calzaghe no longer tell us where and when they want to fight. If they want this fight, they better get their passport ready because now the fight will be in the U.S.A. Just let us know when you are ready, and I will get the date from Showtime, I will get the venue. They don't have to worry about nothing except getting their passports ready.

"You will not see Jeff Lacy in England. You will not see Jeff Lacy in Wales. Now they will come to the U.S. and it will be dependent on when Jeff Lacy wants to fight and where we want the fight to happen!"

In regards to the Showtime date for Lacy on November 5th, Shaw promised: "We will still fight on November 5th. Everybody had been telling me all along to have a backup plan because Calzaghe was going to fallout. I had too much respect and trust for Frank Warren and Joe Calzaghe to do that but those days are over."

For opponents on November 5th: "We will go through the rankings. (Marcus) Byer, maybe (Anthony) Mundine, I haven't thought about it. November 5th will be an optional defense but Jeff is a real champion and he wants to fight real fighters. We won't fight a Evans Ashira. We will fight a true super middleweight who is ranked and who will fight a real fight."

It's criminal! That is the trouble with boxing, when a champ like Joe has fought all of these easy fighters but somehow he is considered the best at 168-pounds. I hope that the press and fans will see how Jeff was willing to do whatever it took to unify the 168-pound titles. He was willing to go aboard to England or Wales and he was willing to fight the person everyone said was the best. Well, now we know Calzaghe is not the best. The fans will now recognize Jeff Lacy as the true 168-pound champion."

Ironically, Calzaghe did "predict" his injury.

Calzaghe wrote in his August 12th, 2005 column for the South Wales Argus: "Lots of things can also happen between now and then (November 5th), not least among them injuries. I have had problems with my hand and back on and off over the years, which is hardly surprising when you have been fighting since the age of nine like I have. My left hand swells up after almost every fight."

Shaw concluded with this warning shot Across the Pond: "Get your passport ready Joe because Jeff Lacy will be ready!"

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2005, 10:28:22 am »
That sums it up perfectly. There's more chance of an ice age starting tomorrow than Calzaghe travelling to the US though. He'll carry on defending his WBO title in Wales & England whilst the real fighters battle it out for the real titles.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2005, 12:36:01 pm »
Boooooooooo!  ;D

Does he actually keep just breaking his hand then or is there something else fooked as well or what?
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline cathy-lfc-taff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2005, 03:37:13 pm »
That sums it up perfectly. There's more chance of an ice age starting tomorrow than Calzaghe travelling to the US though. He'll carry on defending his WBO title in Wales & England whilst the real fighters battle it out for the real titles.

I disagree. I think hes more than willing to fight in America, definatley!

Thats what i hate about boxing though, the best never seem to fight the best. Its not the fighters fault either, its all the poxy politics that goes with boxing, the promoters and that. Really spoils it.

Im from the same area as him, used to live about 5 minutes away until he moved. I served him a few months ago when he came into the rugby club where i work. Thats my claim to fame.

I wish my balls were as big as Dirk's.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2005, 03:53:42 pm »
Its all the flaming organizations that do it. IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC, WBO I-B-afraid-of-U. :butt

Stick 'em all in the same pot and stop raping the sport of competition.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2005, 04:56:41 pm »
Morrales looked outta sorts last night,maybe he stepped up a step two far. On the other hand pacman was impressive over a bigger stronger looken opponent,but then he has more boxing skills.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2005, 06:14:45 pm »
I've never rated Joe Calzaghe and IMO he was very lucky to get the decision against Robin Reid a few years back. I'd take great pleasure in watching Jeff Lacy putting an end to the myth that Joe Calzaghe is something special.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2005, 06:18:52 pm »
Shocked at Morrales. Calzaghe did well to dig out a win with a broken hand regardless of what I think about him as a fighter

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2005, 10:31:51 pm »
I know what you're saying about Calzaghe, Mirra, but I think it was an awesome thing to keep yon fella at bay with your wrong hand. He looked pretty sharp and Joe showed what a true champion he is by the fight he fought. Why Lacy suddenly thinks he is the dog's bollocks is beyond me - good marketing is all! Would love to have seen Calzaghe - 10 years in the Benn/Watson/Eubank era; no matter what you think, he would have held his own there.

Khan fought a brilliant fight as well.

(oh and Gary shaw :wanker)

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2005, 10:43:31 pm »
I think Joe probally is the better in terms of ability out of Benn, Eubank and Collins, but im not sure about Michael Watson. He was a great boxer. But it just comes down to what we were saying abuot him, has he got the heart to go in there against guys like that? Benn and Collins only got going when the going got tough, Eubank wasnt a softie either. He was a tough bloke! These are just some of the things Joe needs to prove mate, i dont doubt his ability I just question his bottle. Its time he backed up some of that big talk, instead it seems hes trying to master the art of fighting, without fighting as Bruce Lee once said :)

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2005, 11:43:00 am »
Ricky Hatton has just confirmed that he'll be starting his quest for unification in November, against WBA champion Carlos Maussa in Sheffied. It's his first fight with promoter Dennis Hobson, and he's then looking at Mayweather in the summer of 2006 for the WBC title and undisputed status.

Ricky wants the big fights and the three major titles...unlike a certain former stablemate!  ;D

As for Calzaghe, I have no doubt that he feigned his injury - He spoke of a possible future injury sustained in his warm-up scuppering a Lacy over a month before the fight, then announced his opponent would be a tiny little man who's fought the majority of his career at light-middleweight, been KOed in two last year at middleweight and NEVER fought before at Super Middleweight. Frankly, if he couldn't keep him at bay with one hand, he'd go down in history as one of the worst SMW "champions" of all time.

We've seen it too many times with the Welshman - Calling out myriad superior fighters without really making an effort to get the fight done, pulling out of a fight with Glen Johnson citing a mysterious "back injury" only a week or two before the fight (Johnson of course had the last laugh, going on to defeat Roy Jones & Antonio Tarver while Comedy Joe remains a laughing stock on the other side of the Atlantic, and indeed in much of Britain), pulling out of a fight with Clinton Woods and now this magical injury that he predicted beforehand might just scupper his fight against Jeff Lacy.

Never took his glove off after the fight to reveal the "swelling", did he?

There's a very good reason that Calzaghe has never held a genuine world title.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 11:50:40 am by Disintegration »

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2005, 01:50:13 pm »
Ricky Hatton has just confirmed that he'll be starting his quest for unification in November, against WBA champion Carlos Maussa in Sheffied. It's his first fight with promoter Dennis Hobson, and he's then looking at Mayweather in the summer of 2006 for the WBC title and undisputed status.

Ricky wants the big fights and the three major titles...unlike a certain former stablemate!  ;D

As for Calzaghe, I have no doubt that he feigned his injury - He spoke of a possible future injury sustained in his warm-up scuppering a Lacy over a month before the fight, then announced his opponent would be a tiny little man who's fought the majority of his career at light-middleweight, been KOed in two last year at middleweight and NEVER fought before at Super Middleweight. Frankly, if he couldn't keep him at bay with one hand, he'd go down in history as one of the worst SMW "champions" of all time.

We've seen it too many times with the Welshman - Calling out myriad superior fighters without really making an effort to get the fight done, pulling out of a fight with Glen Johnson citing a mysterious "back injury" only a week or two before the fight (Johnson of course had the last laugh, going on to defeat Roy Jones & Antonio Tarver while Comedy Joe remains a laughing stock on the other side of the Atlantic, and indeed in much of Britain), pulling out of a fight with Clinton Woods and now this magical injury that he predicted beforehand might just scupper his fight against Jeff Lacy.

Never took his glove off after the fight to reveal the "swelling", did he?

There's a very good reason that Calzaghe has never held a genuine world title.

Maussa must be getting paid well for his first defence to be against Hatton cos he is going to get his belt took straight off him! Glad Ricky is going straight for unification. He did say he wanted to retire in 2-3 years.

Would have loved for it to have been Hatton against Harris though so Ricky could beat him up for swerving him last time round

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2005, 06:51:45 am »
Calzaghe has Wright back-up plan
BBC Sport

Joe Calzaghe's super middleweight unification fight with Jeff Lacy is still alive, but he now has a back-up plan to face Ronald 'Winky' Wright.

WBO champion Calzaghe broke his left hand beating Evans Ashira, ruling out a 5 November fight with IBF champ Lacy.

Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, is still hopeful that Lacy's camp will honour a reserve date of 4 February.

But Warren revealed that US promoter Don King has said he can make a fight with ex-light middleweight king Wright.

"Calzaghe versus Lacy will happen on February the 4th unless they pull out," Warren told BBC Sport Wales.

"In the meantime I've spoken to Don King and he says that if there is a problem then he has an option on Winky Wright and we can make that fight.

"One thing's for sure is that whatever happens in February when Joe is fit to box - and only when he's fit to box - that it will be in a big fight."

In 2004 Wright became the first boxer for nearly three decades to unify the light middleweight division.

But since then Wright - like Calzaghe a 33-year-old southpaw - has vowed to ignore titles and seek out big money fights across the weight divisions.

King was at ringside on Saturday night in Cardiff to see his fighter Ashira given a boxing lesson by Calzaghe, who managed to win the last eight rounds fighting one-handed after his injury.

One possible complication is that Lacy's promoter, Gary Shaw, also has an interest in Wright.

Shaw has publicly criticised Calzaghe and Warren for pulling out of the 5 November fight.

"Truthfully, I'm very angry right now," Shaw told the St Petersburg Times. "I'm trying to keep it together, but yes, I'm angry at Frank Warren, I'm angry at Joe Calzaghe.

"They took a meaningless fight with a 160-pounder, and Calzaghe talked all along about how he was going to hurt himself.

"He should have never taken that fight to begin with. We knew he would use it as an opportunity to pull out of the fight."

However, Warren has hit back at Shaw for daring to suggest the cancellation is for anything other than genuine reasons.

"Gary Shaw says a lot of things without engaging his brain sometimes and it's a great shame, because he's not a bad chap actually," Warren added.

"But he should get the facts right: the fight's been postponed because Joe has a genuine injury, but he obviously didn't believe that.

"More importantly he talks as if we've tried to postpone this fight six or seven times, which we haven't.

"I don't see why he should pull out - I do hope the fight does go ahead on the 4th (of February) and we will know fairly soon whether that will be the case.

"Joe is in plaster for a month and he certainly won't be punching for six weeks after that.

"He'll tick over but he won't be sparring or hitting punch bags until then."

===========================================

Near Pissed myself reading that one. Calzaghe is a joke, theres no way in the world Winky would come over here to fight a nobody when hes just beat Tito Trinidad and Shane Mosley. Calzaghe wont go over there so why the hell does Warren keep putting out this utter bullshit? IF the fight did go ahead, Winky would destroy Calzaghe the same way he did to Trinidad. Nobody wants a piece of Winky right now, hes too good! He embarressed Tito, i dont remember Tito landing a decent shot on him.

In other news Frank Warren claims he offered 2.5 million for Hatton to fight Zab Judah. More bullshit I suspect, Warren knew that Hatton and his team had already arranged a fight with Maussa. It's typical Warren bullshit and it smacks of desperation. He knows that Hatton isn't tied to him otherwise he wouldn't of come out with this bollocks. If Warren thought for one moment that he hada legally binding contract with Hatton he would just be feeding him another nobody.

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2005, 10:00:14 am »
Near Pissed myself reading that one. Calzaghe is a joke, theres no way in the world Winky would come over here to fight a nobody when hes just beat Tito Trinidad and Shane Mosley. Calzaghe wont go over there so why the hell does Warren keep putting out this utter bullshit? IF the fight did go ahead, Winky would destroy Calzaghe the same way he did to Trinidad. Nobody wants a piece of Winky right now, hes too good! He embarressed Tito, i dont remember Tito landing a decent shot on him.

I'm with you 100% on this one, think JC would have more chance against Lacy than Winky... but on the plus side at least Calzaghe won't be able to use his hands as an excuse....... he be able to land a punch to damage his hand.

Not seen Winky for a while but he's a great boxer and if Trindad couldn't get to him to knock him out can't see Joe doing it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 10:05:26 am by 50 Pence »
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2005, 10:13:29 am »
Not only could Trinidad not get near him to knock him out he couldn't get near him to punch him. The only fella on par with Winky at the moment for pure boxing ability is Pretty Boy Floyd. Still think Ricky will do him though  ;D

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2005, 04:26:51 pm »
I hope Ricky can do him! Its a tough one to call though. Id love to see Ricky against Zab Judah. I like Judah, hes quick, powerful and a vicious little bastard. I think Ricky would do him though, he'd just smother him all night, stick in a few head butts and elbows, not let him extend his punches and by the 4th or 5th round come on really strong and knock him out. Tyszu destroyed Judah with that Big right hand, Zab couldnt take it, he got up and did a silly dance before going back down again ;D That was hilarious, then he thought itd be a good idea to throw his stool at the referee and grab him by the throat. I think Ricky is wasting his time with this next bloke though. He doesnt need another belt to prove he is the man at this weight.

He beat Tyszu, thats all he needed to do. I hope after this next fight he goes for Floyd then moves up to take on Zab. Theres some really exciting fights out there for him.

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2005, 05:04:46 pm »
Wondering whether to make a journey to Shefield to see Hatton.

We have City away that day so could get to Sheffield in time for the bout.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2005, 05:14:07 pm »
[quote author=Mirra link=topic=79273.msg1368882#msg

He beat Tyszu, thats all he needed to do. I hope after this next fight he goes for Floyd then moves up to take on Zab. Theres some really exciting fights out there for him.
[/quote] I think if he takes on floyd,his next fight should be looken for a rematch  ;) but then everyone to their own oponion  :wave

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2005, 04:34:50 pm »
From Frank Warrens website...

This is supposed to prove Joes hand is broken ;D How? I dont know, you cant even see his fucking hand! Its all very fishy I think. First he went through that ridicioulous post fight act for the cameras, and now they are releasing pictures like the one above trying to prove he has a broken hand. Seems to be going out of his way, I dont think his hand is broken personally or he wouldnt be pulling all these tricks.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2005, 07:10:08 am »
Oscar tips Kostya comeback

From Peter Mitchell in Los Angeles, theadvertiser.news.com.au
14sep05

BOXING great Oscar De La Hoya believes Kostya Tszyu will be a world champion again if he decides to continue his career.

Tszyu is still weighing up his future after his bruising IBF light welterweight title loss to England's Ricky Hatton in Manchester in June.

The loss may have cost Tszyu a $US10 million ($13.3 million) super fight against American De La Hoya, the world's highest paid fighter, who has won world titles in six weight divisions.

De La Hoya said today he didn't know if that match up was now possible but he was adamant 35-year-old Tszyu could add to his four world titles if he decided to continue.

He also believed Tszyu could succeed in the welterweight division if he moved up in weight.

"I really feel Kostya Tszyu is a tremendous fighter," De La Hoya said. "I know him. He's a great guy.

"At welterweight he will be a big threat. He is still a strong and very intelligent fighter and dangerous fighter.

"I really feel that when he fought Hatton, I don't know if it was him up in that ring, the Tszyu that we know, but if he decides to fight again, I can assure you he will be world champion again."

De La Hoya is planning two more fights before he retires and named Americans Ronald "Winky" Wright, Fernando Vargas and Tszyu's old foe, Zab Judah, as his potential opponents.

He doubted whether a previously mooted match up with Tszyu could now take place.

"I don't know if it's possible," De La Hoya said.

"I know I have some good fights ahead of me.

"I have the guys like Winky Wright. I have a re-match with Fernando Vargas.

"There's a lot of fights out there. You have the undisputed champion in the welterweight division now, Zab Judah.

"It will be interesting who we pick next."

A De La Hoya-Tszyu super fight would have been a clash between two of the most respected fighters in the sport and would have easily been the biggest pay day of Tszyu's career.

De La Hoya, because of his popularity and ability to draw huge pay-per-view TV revenue, demands huge fees for his fights.

In his last bout 12 months ago De La Hoya was knocked out by Bernard Hopkins, but he still earned $US35 million ($46 million) for stepping in the ring.

De La Hoya would have expected at least $US25 million ($33 million) to fight Tszyu.

Tszyu would have earned about $US10 million - more than double his usual purse.

A De La Hoya-Tszyu superfight would have involved De La Hoya dropping down from the middleweight (72.58kg) division to welterweight (66.68kg).

Tszyu would have left the junior welterweight (63.5kg) division he dominated for almost a decade to move up to welterweight.

De La Hoya, 32, has also emerged as one of the sport's most powerful promoters with his Golden Boy Promotions handling the likes of Hopkins, Shane Mosley and Mexican firebrand, Marco Antonio Barrera.

It is Barrera who takes on Australia's Robbie Peden in Las Vegas on the weekend for the undisputed super featherweight title.

===============================================

Dont know what anyone else thinks, but wouldnt that be a great for boxing? Tyszu vs De La Hoya, id pay very good money to see that one! Lot of respect for Oscar, probally more than any other professional fighter besides Erik Morales. He is always trying to give the fans what they want, people said he didnt want any part of Trinidad, Hopkins, Vargas, Ike Quartey and he went and made those matches. He always backs up what he says, the likes of Calzaghe would do well to take a few pages out of his book, a real champion.

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2005, 10:22:16 am »
Have a lot of respect for Oscar, just feel that he shouldn't have carried on moving up the weigh divisions and settled for dominating one, I mean looking at the weight he started at he was never really going to beat a natural middleweigh like Hopkins, is like Hatton bulking up to fight Roy Jones at lightheavy.

And have to say that I have only ever payed to watch Lennox fights, but think I would make an exception and pay to watch De La Hoya v Tyszu
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2005, 04:53:18 pm »
You'd have to pay me to watch Lewis mate ;D

Offline 50 Pence

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2005, 01:15:19 pm »
You'd have to pay me to watch Lewis mate ;D

Lol.... he's not that bad. Was towards the end when he became overly cautious, but when he put his mind to it he was awesome. His distruction of Razor Ruddock was simply awesome.... shame he didn't box like that more often, too scared of losing