Author Topic: Wonderkid flops - where are they now?  (Read 42486 times)

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wonderkid flops - where are they now?
« Reply #80 on: August 7, 2012, 11:38:43 am »
Luc Castignos

absolutely lit up that u17 Euro's move to Inter hasn't quite worked out, still time for him though

Just moved to FC Twente, hopefully he gets regular first team football there.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #81 on: August 7, 2012, 12:32:22 pm »
Just moved to FC Twente, hopefully he gets regular first team football there.

cheers for the update, he's got all the physical attributes maybe its just maturity in his head that needs sorting out

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82 on: August 7, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »
Gabriel Paletta? Not sure if he was classed as a wonderkid but was definitely a flop.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 7, 2012, 12:50:16 pm »
Gabriel Paletta? Not sure if he was classed as a wonderkid but was definitely a flop.

Hes currently at Parma in the Serie A and is a regular starter.

I think people tend to forget what flops are. Adu, Cherno Samba fit the bill, but players like Paletta have made a decent enough career for themselves.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #84 on: August 7, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »
David Vaughan
Keirrison
Aliadiere
Bentley
Michael Johnson (City)
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 7, 2012, 01:42:19 pm »

Aliadiere

What the fuck ever happened to him?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline binge

• Kopite
« Reply #86 on: August 7, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »
Whatever happened to Russell Beardsmore? one of the original fergie fledglings. The commentator Brian Moore fuckin loved him.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #87 on: August 7, 2012, 01:56:08 pm »
Quaresma - you know the story.

He has a European cup winners medal with Inter, an FA Cup with Chelsea, two Serie A titles and 4 Portugese.
Amazing.

Edit: I am not of the opinion he is an amazing player, my expression of amazement is relating to the fact he has won such titles given he has hugely flattered
to deceive wherever he's gone since he left Portugal.  :wave
« Last Edit: August 7, 2012, 03:05:55 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 7, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »
Tony daly, played for villa I think.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 7, 2012, 02:23:47 pm »
He has a European cup winners medal with Inter, an FA Cup with Chelsea, two Serie A titles and 4 Portugese.
Amazing.
he definitely flopped for chelsea and inter mate. there are some shite players with a lot of medals - doesn't really mean much - he wasn't really involved in any of those other than the portugese.

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: August 7, 2012, 02:46:30 pm »
Quaresma - you know the story.

Uh-oh - http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/turkishfootball-com-Beşiktaş-open-door-for-reds

Former Beşiktaş official Hulusi Ozdurmaz added to speculation regarding Liverpool's interest in Ricardo Quaresma today.

Speaking to Kartalbakisi TV, Ozdurmaz said, "If Liverpool make a formal bid for the figure being quoted the board will accept the offer.

"Liverpool don't have a player of Quaresma's quality in his preferred position, the important thing however, is getting the best out of him.

"I don't see Quaresma staying here much longer."

Quaresma has been dropped from pre-season training by Beşiktaş manager Samet Aybaba.

The 28-year-old Portuguese international will train apart from his teammates and has been transfer listed by the Istanbul club.

Quaresma has been unwilling to accept the Black Eagles demands for a wage cut, lowering his €3.75 million salary to €2 million per-season.

Recently appointed manager Brendan Rodgers has been interesting in bringing in more technical players to the Premiership outfit.

Quaresma joined Beşiktaş from Inter Milan for €7.3 million in 2010. The Portuguese winger has 27 assists and 18 goals in 73 appearances for the Istanbul club.

;)
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 7, 2012, 02:51:07 pm »
he definitely flopped for chelsea and inter mate. there are some shite players with a lot of medals - doesn't really mean much - he wasn't really involved in any of those other than the portugese.

Er, I was expressing my amazement that he has such a medal list given how erratic his career has been.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #93 on: August 7, 2012, 02:58:55 pm »
Amazing.

Really has dropped since then though. He was once upon a time more promising than Ronaldo. Work ethic was just not there though.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 7, 2012, 03:04:44 pm »
Really has dropped since then though.

See post above.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »
there are some shite players with a lot of medals

Pegguy likes this  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 7, 2012, 03:38:41 pm »
Really has dropped since then though. He was once upon a time more promising than Ronaldo. Work ethic was just not there though.

There was some interview with Quaresma where he talked about Rafa Benitez discussing with him a transfer to Liverpool.  That was the same summer as the Torres deal I think.  But Rafa wanted him to do more defensive work and more teamwork.  He refused.

He's pretty much grown up with Ronaldo and the pair are both incredibly talented.  When he saw Ronaldo starting to have success at Man United, Quaresma could've easily decided that he wasn't going to be left behind and forgotten about.  What better place than Liverpool to rival Ronaldo's accomplishments?  Especially playing alongside Torres, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, etc. 

But he didn't want to work hard.  What. A. Waste.

Of course, this was the same player who scored a great goal at Stamford Bridge and then proceeded to loss possession through meaningless flicks and back heels on the halfway line when his teammates were desperate to hold on to the ball to avoid the Chelsea onslaught.
King Kenny.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #98 on: August 7, 2012, 10:18:44 pm »
Whatever happened to Sherman Cardenas, the 16 year old Colombian ?

Still playing for clubs in Colombia

David Vaughan
Keirrison
Aliadiere
Bentley
Michael Johnson (City)

Michael Johnson is a big one. I wouldn't class David Vaughan as one. He's shown himself to be a competent footballer. He did well with Blackpool and started getting more playing time once Bruce was sacked at Sunderland. Aliadiere is one. Another one of those players who had several months without a club, despite early hype.

Always felt Stephen Froggatt was the bigger flop. Really highly touted youngster and  I remember when we were being linked him with constantly under Souness. Nicky Summerbee pretty much finished his career with a rash tackle and he was done by age 28. Daley was just all pace, but he got a few England caps.

Stuart Slater was probably one of the bigger flops of the pre-PL era. Celtic paid £1.5m for him around 1992, when that was a fair chunk of change and sold him to Ipswich for half that the following year. It probably didn't help that he suffered an Achilles injury the season prior, back when an Achilles problem was a career destroying injury. He was in non-league football by age 30. Biggest of the early 90s wonderkid flops though is Gianluigi Lentini. Milan paid £13m for him from Torino in 1992. He ended up in a major crash which damaged his eye socket and only ended up playing 60 or so games for them and was sold back to Torino for £2m five years later. Spent most of his thirties trawling around the Italian lower leagues.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99 on: August 8, 2012, 04:36:54 am »
Sebastien Deisler is one who had loads of talent, but injuries got the better of him and he had to retire as a result.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 8, 2012, 04:47:58 am »
I watch Freddy Adu play for my MLS team every week.  He's all right... by MLS standards.  The odd thing is that he clearly has the skill because sometimes he does some crazy moves, but he's not consistent enough.  If he could play at his best (that I've seen for 5-10 minutes at a time) for 90 minutes, he could be a good player on a good European team.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 8, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »
Sebastien Deisler is one who had loads of talent, but injuries got the better of him and he had to retire as a result.

Wasn't he declared mental at some point?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 8, 2012, 12:46:18 pm »
snip

erm, that's a rather insensitive way to describe depression. You might want to edit that one.

There was yet another Northern Ireland/ man utd"new george Best"  called phil mulryne, who was a great buy if you were managing a smaller club in championship manager back around the time they switched to year numbers. He's now a priest.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #103 on: August 8, 2012, 03:25:27 pm »
Zidane's son
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 8, 2012, 03:36:28 pm »
Er, I was expressing my amazement that he has such a medal list given how erratic his career has been.
my apologies then mate, you're right on that. wonder if he considers his career disappointing, has played for some of the biggest clubs with those successes and a shitload of cash probably

Zidane's son

enzo? he's only 17 mate, still at real madrid as well.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #105 on: August 8, 2012, 03:48:44 pm »
i was in a taxi in Liverpool last year (i know i know) and some fella claimed he was a mate of Billy Kenny

he said that the guy is about 25 stone now and he basically covered a lot of shit back in the day when he billy would OD

speaking of fat isnt Michael Johnson at city meant to be a blimp now. future england captain, and linked with us?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 8, 2012, 03:59:22 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den%C3%ADlson_de_Oliveira_Ara%C3%BAjo

what about this guy

most expensive player in the world at one point

from 25-26 on he was pretty much past it

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 8, 2012, 04:20:29 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den%C3%ADlson_de_Oliveira_Ara%C3%BAjo

what about this guy

most expensive player in the world at one point

from 25-26 on he was pretty much past it

61 caps for Brazil and a world cup winners medal ain't too shabby.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 8, 2012, 04:20:57 pm »
my apologies then mate, you're right on that.

No worries.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 8, 2012, 04:48:05 pm »
61 caps for Brazil and a world cup winners medal ain't too shabby.
probably been picky

not sure this guy was a wonderkid but what about kristian nemeth

Offline Nut/ella

• do!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 8, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »
Oh Nemeth- the hopes i had on him!

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #111 on: August 8, 2012, 05:34:04 pm »
my apologies then mate, you're right on that. wonder if he considers his career disappointing, has played for some of the biggest clubs with those successes and a shitload of cash probably

enzo? he's only 17 mate, still at real madrid as well.

really? I thought he's older than that
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 8, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »
Remember Paul Anderson was very highly thought of, yet he moved on without any impact at all at the club

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: August 8, 2012, 06:51:15 pm »
Robinho, then Adriano. The striker, not the one at Barca. (I Think) What even happened to him? Alongside Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Baptiste etc they were meant to be the ebst players for the best country in the world at that point, what happened?!

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 8, 2012, 06:51:51 pm »
But on a more serious note.

Paul Anderson

Remember him being compared to Michael Owen about 5 years ago, which is weird as Paul is a winger

I remember the clamour for him to get a place in our first team was nearly as bad as the people begging for Raheem Sterling to get run outs now.

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #115 on: August 8, 2012, 08:33:16 pm »
Haukur Gudnason ran my CM3 team.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 8, 2012, 08:51:13 pm »
Gary shaw a better shout for a Villa wonderkid that it went wrong for. Young player of the year. Done in by injuries so can't be classed as aflop I guess but remember people having huge hopes for him
+6 ticket exchange

Offline fingermouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 8, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »

Ally Dick - Scotland's answer to the granny shagger!!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/our-wayne-rooney-just-remember-ally-dick-1.833664

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 8, 2012, 09:05:49 pm »
Remember Paul Anderson was very highly thought of, yet he moved on without any impact at all at the club
I remember his goal in the final of the youth cup and thinking we had a massive talent on our hands
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE £20 BET

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 8, 2012, 09:32:59 pm »
Robinho, then Adriano. The striker, not the one at Barca. (I Think) What even happened to him? Alongside Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Baptiste etc they were meant to be the ebst players for the best country in the world at that point, what happened?!

"On March 12, 2012, Adriano was released by Corinthians, after his irregular appearances and lack of interest"
Only 30 now.

Seems like an interesting one Adriano. He's always been scoring goals,  so it's hard to say he flopped but he definitely could have been more. His work-rate has always been questionable, won the 'Bidone D'Oro' (worst player in the Serie A) 3 seasons. So it's probably just a case of he let it go to his head, more interested in other things.
Check the figures and his honors yourself. Good international record as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriano_Leite_Ribeiro#Honors
Really great striker on his day, just probably could have been more with a better attitude. Still had a good career though.
 - Interesting blog on him by Tim Vickery if you're interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2011/03/adriano_struggling_to_find_sui.html
Might shed some light on why some of the wonderkids mentioned here end up flopping.

With Robinho, he's still with Milan now like, 90 caps for Brazil, probably did get overhyped a bit, think people expect him to be more prolific than he is, maybe Europe is a bit too physical for him and he goes missing occasionally because of that. With Ibra gone though, it's going to be a big season for him and Pato - it needs to be. I remember he had a good first season for City, probably got sick of Manchester.