Author Topic: International Cricket 2022 - 2023 - General Thread  (Read 884776 times)

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Re: International Cricket 2009-2010 - General Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2009, 07:23:54 am »
Starting to get real interesting at the WACA.

At tea the Windies are 174/3 needing another 185 to win.

Still don't fancy their chances though just yet. Although Johnson was off for most of the second session with gut problems due I think to the heat.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:29 am »
West Indies have lost a couple of quick wickets and they are 221-5, needing 138 runs to win. If the West Indies bat sensibly and continue to chip away at that deficit, it could make for an exciting end.

New ball due in about 6 overs though. Nash and Ramdin at the crease.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2009, 09:32:27 am »
West Indies 233-6. Ramdin gone and another 126 to win.

If I was a betting man, my money would be on Australia cleaning up soon (I am, but I haven't put any money on it).

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2009, 11:28:10 am »
Windies survived the day at 308/9, needing 51 runs to win.

That kind of situation must be a nightmare for the people in charge of the ground and tickets and stuff, as it's unlikely the game will go for a full session, since only 1 more wicket's required or 50 runs for a result. Do you charge normal admission? Heavily reduced? What about vendors and other things like that?
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2009, 11:31:05 am »
I think the general rule would be, if less that 10 overs are bowled in the day, it's a full refund. I don't know if that only applies if the weather plays a part, rather than a result achieved by either team thus ending the day's play.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2009, 11:35:03 am »
Windies survived the day at 308/9, needing 51 runs to win.

That kind of situation must be a nightmare for the people in charge of the ground and tickets and stuff, as it's unlikely the game will go for a full session, since only 1 more wicket's required or 50 runs for a result. Do you charge normal admission? Heavily reduced? What about vendors and other things like that?

It's free entry tomorrow if you don't have a ticket.

No idea if tickets holders get their cash back.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2009, 12:02:42 pm »
I don't think play will last more than 5 overs tomorrow although I'm hoping for a Windies win, that is very unlikely as the Aussies need just one wicket against 51 runs.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2009, 02:50:10 am »
Aussies win by 35 runs.

Pretty good test match.
Obi-Wan:

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2009, 05:29:13 am »
Award for immaturity and biggest-prat goes to Shane Watson - what a turd. Shows no respect to a visiting Captain - if it were down to me he'd be banned for several years. Follows on pretty much from the discussion the other day about the idiots in the Australian test team since Ian Chappell's time.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2009, 05:34:57 am »
Award for immaturity and biggest-prat goes to Shane Watson - what a turd. Shows no respect to a visiting Captain - if it were down to me he'd be banned for several years. Follows on pretty much from the discussion the other day about the idiots in the Australian test team since Ian Chappell's time.
I doubt that Gayle cared, this was a test not twenty20.  ;)

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2009, 05:38:29 am »

haha, get off your fucking high horse. After the way they carried on yesterday they're not exactly innocent victims of a mean old bully. They went out there and got in his face and he took the bait yesterday, and his reaction to getting rid of Gayle was ott, but don't pretend he's this arsehole just for the sake of it.

There was some feeling in this test match, which is fine by me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:40:42 am by Ultimate Bromance »
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2009, 06:39:32 am »
haha, get off your fucking high horse. After the way they carried on yesterday they're not exactly innocent victims of a mean old bully. They went out there and got in his face and he took the bait yesterday, and his reaction to getting rid of Gayle was ott, but don't pretend he's this arsehole just for the sake of it.

There was some feeling in this test match, which is fine by me.

He acted like an idiot - call me old school but that sort of stuff doesn't belong in cricket full stop, and I'd be saying the same thing if it were another player from any other country doing it.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2009, 08:52:56 am »
what did watson do? do you guys have a boxing day and new year test this year and he so who against?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:17 am »
what did watson do? do you guys have a boxing day and new year test this year and he so who against?

They are playing Pakistan I think.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2009, 09:54:53 am »

Against the West Indies - this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CHR_o8l4c
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:56:26 am by Dread Breath »

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2009, 09:59:05 am »
Against the West Indies - this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-CHR_o8l4c

Haha what a c*nt.

Gayle should have smacked him.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2009, 09:59:08 am »
Perhaps went over the top with my statement he should be banned for several years - but its just one thing after another with the Australian team. Just appalling behaviour. No respect at all, either for the other team, their captain, or the game itself.

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2009, 10:07:48 am »
Perhaps went over the top with my statement he should be banned for several years - but its just one thing after another with the Australian team. Just appalling behaviour. No respect at all, either for the other team, their captain, or the game itself.

Yeah, Steve Waugh's Australian side at least had some respect. Since then it's been shameful.
C'est la vie.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2009, 11:22:00 am »
Very girly wasn't it? Stepped all over the pitch as well.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2009, 12:37:05 pm »
Eh? I get that Watson's actions were shit but to say that the Australian team shows no respect for the opposition is, well, kinda weird. Ponting himself said that he was "a bit embarrassed" by their actions.

I know the team sledges or at least used to with abundance, but what is our history of showing no respect for the game?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2009, 12:54:10 pm »
Eh? I get that Watson's actions were shit but to say that the Australian team shows no respect for the opposition is, well, kinda weird. Ponting himself said that he was "a bit embarrassed" by their actions.

I know the team sledges or at least used to with abundance, but what is our history of showing no respect for the game?

You want a list? Reckon it started seriously in the days of Ian CHappell's stewardship. If you want some incidents from back then, try these:

Rodney Hogg trying to punch his own Captain, in Kim Hughes, on the field of play.

That's just three off the top of my head - if I go through year by year you'll find the history extensive enough to warrant the term.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2009, 01:08:37 pm »
Ok. I didn't think we were going back that far and yeah, those actions are all shit, specially the first two. I think you mean Greg Chappel though. Who was captain for the underarm and defended Lillee's actions at the WACCA. Where Ian Chappel called Lillee a child or something like that.

I felt like you were misinterpreting our aggressive nature post Border as having no respect for captains, opposition, or the game. I think you will find that our record in these matters has improved significantly over recent decades. Especially in the way the authorities in Australia have tried to stamp out incidents like above. It is in our nature to be aggressive in sports, but to say that this current team, Waugh's team or Taylor's team showed the disrespect you generalise the entire nation with is wrong.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2009, 01:36:17 pm »
Nah, was referring to Ian Chappell - that's where this current philosophy in our cricket came from.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2009, 01:48:10 pm »
Nah, was referring to Ian Chappell - that's where this current philosophy in our cricket came from.
I think our current philosophy comes from Steve Waugh. I think there was an attitude of disrespect that died after the Chappels, Marshes and Lillees retired. Border brought it back in the second half of his reign after getting tired of the teams sad and sorry mentality. I think Taylor refined it and Waugh even more so to simply be a winning machine. Ponting taking over from Waugh in terms of a squad that played aggresively but tried not to disrpect the game as you say.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2009, 02:16:16 pm »
That is embarassing.  Watson used to be like that when he was younger but I thought he had got that out of his game.

A couple of years ago, ponting's teams were the worst for this kind of behaviour but, over the last few series, things have got better so I think (hope) someone will pull him aside and tell him this is not on.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:20:01 pm by DK »

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2009, 02:32:11 pm »
That is embarassing.  Watson used to be like that when he was younger but I thought he had got that out of his game.

A couple of years ago, ponting's teams were the worst for this kind of behaviour but, over the last few series, things have got better so I think (hope) someone will pull him aside and tell him this is not on.

Actually i remember a story (true or not) about Watson getting some of his own medicine and not liking it. Was playing against England, could have been a warm up game as i dont think he was playing for Aus. Watson was giving it to one of the players and either Flintoff or Pieterson kindly reminded Watson that his extremely hot fiancee who was a dancer on "dancing with the stars" had broken up with him for her celbri-tradey dance partner. Apparently didn't take well to it  ;D

So yeah, Watson has a history of playing up a bit.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2009, 10:32:54 am »
Sri Lanka win toss and bat in the 3rd ODI

Going well for a big total here too....

About 150-1 after 20overs

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2009, 01:26:20 pm »
Sri Lanka win toss and bat in the 3rd ODI

Going well for a big total here too....

About 150-1 after 20overs

Talk about a collapse  ;D

This is too easy, long as Sehwag's there no chance we are not gonna win.

Fuck Sehwag just gone. Come on Tendulkar.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2009, 01:31:16 pm »
Yeah Sri Lanka fucked this one up..

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »
watson is scared of ghosts. That needs bringing up at every opportunity! The talk of aussies being ruthless is an interesting one. how are all captains since border viewed in oz in terms of success and popularity. for me, mark taylor always came across as a decent bloke and was no less successful than any of the others.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2009, 04:32:55 pm »
Well that was pretty easy even though it looked as if Sri Lanka might post an imposing total. Quality fightback from the bowlers, and Sachin just keeps going!

My mate just mailed me suggesting that Dinesh should not have hit his six and allowed Sachin to get his ton. No biggy for me.

I reminded my mate of the time when Dravid declared with Sachin on 194* against Pakistan, in Pakistan. I don't think Dravid could've made a worse decision if he tried.

John Wright on it here:

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2006/jul/31wright.htm

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:36 am »
watson is scared of ghosts. That needs bringing up at every opportunity! The talk of aussies being ruthless is an interesting one. how are all captains since border viewed in oz in terms of success and popularity. for me, mark taylor always came across as a decent bloke and was no less successful than any of the others.
Definitely a good bloke, shit commentator though. A diplomat but also a very good captain. I view him as a man who took over from the grumpy Border and went about making Australia a little more likable and bringing a winning mentality to the team.

Waugh to me is the greatest since border. He was what made us "ruthless", attacking, stubborn and a real leader. Continued on from Taylor and built the best team since the Windies. I personally love the man

To me, Ponting is decent at best. The man is one of the great batsmen of all time but barely does the job as captain. He inherited one of the best team of all time and still managed to lose the Ashes with it still 75% intact. His field placing is terrible, constantly leaving holes in often too defensive slip cordons and then fills the holes in it when its too late. His backing Hauritz as a spinner and not Krejza shows his poor captaincy of spinners. He would rather have a "tight" spinner than and attacking wicket taker who concedes a few. One of his claims as a captain is winning in India for the first time since 1970 was with Gilchrist as captain for the two winning games. Ponting was only given the captaincy because of one of Warne's indiscretions being in the news at the time. Shane Warne would have made on of the greatest captains of all time. He was super attacking and knew how to set a field.

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:35 pm »
Imagine if Ponting were as good a captain as Stephen Fleming. The aussies would've made their change of guard seamlessly and would still be the #1 ODI and Test team.

Waugh wasn't as likeable as Taylor, but he was definitely responsible for giving the aussies that aura of invincibility. Ponting has done his best to erode that. Aussies feel much more down-to-earth and beatable these days.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2009, 10:51:59 am »
This lad, Usman Khawaja,  played really well tonight in a domestic one-day game for NSW against Victoria (the biggest rivalry in Aussie cricket) - he's scored two tons already this season in the longer variety of the game for NSW and just oozes class. Selectors are apparently looking really hard at him in terms of making the Aussie squad at some stage in the future - if he makes it he'd be the first Muslim to play for our country. He was born in Pakistan but came to Sydney as a 4 year old and I think he'll be making waves in international cricket in a few years time.

Offline McManamanamanaman

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2009, 12:04:17 pm »
The Durban test on Boxing day could swing England's way, due to some dodgy political interventions dictating the South African team. Despite playing pretty badly in recent matches, Makhaya Ntini cannot be dropped because of the symbol of his skin colour. Absolutely crazy, and as this cricket blog on South Africa v England predicts, this means the in-form Friedel De Wet will be dropped to make way for the return of Dale Steyn. Still, suits England, although I'd rather we beat a full strength side than not facing dangerous players for political reasons. Damages the sport, despite the best intentions.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2009, 12:50:46 pm »
Solidarity of a fat man.

The fella's good though. Raul won't agree.
He's a bloody flash in the pan.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2009, 01:26:29 pm »
Shane Bond has announced his retirment from Test match cricket. Would have been an amazing test match bowler if it wasn't for all the injuries he suffered. Think he played less than 20 test matches in his career and got close to taking 100 wickets. Definitely could have been one of the best NZ bowlers of all time if he could have stayed away from injuries.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2009, 01:37:30 pm »
Real shame about bond really need more top class bowlers real lack of them dosent help with all these flat pitches either cant remember the last good constant between bat and ball where a batsman really had to work hard for a century even the tailenders are scoring 50's regulary nowadays.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2009, 06:04:29 am »
Super chase by India last night.  Kohli was excellent and Gambhir played a superbly composed innings.  Gambhir might not be as flamboyant or as nice to watch as the rest of the Indian batsmen but he's certainly right up there with the rest of them.  He seems to be really turning a corner and maturing fast into an excellet batsman.  Unbeaten 150 last night. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »
Super chase by India last night.  Kohli was excellent and Gambhir played a superbly composed innings.  Gambhir might not be as flamboyant or as nice to watch as the rest of the Indian batsmen but he's certainly right up there with the rest of them.  He seems to be really turning a corner and maturing fast into an excellet batsman.  Unbeaten 150 last night. 

Really happy for Kohli, my namesake and a Delhite too! We need young batsman emerging with the retirement of Sachin, Rahul and VVS, in the coming years. That will be a massive void to fill.

Gambhir has been amazing for over a year now. Top, top batsman.