Author Topic: Woolton Picture House closing for good.  (Read 2841 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Woolton Picture House closing for good.
« on: July 31, 2020, 04:30:22 pm »
To all our dear customers.

We are all aware of the severity of COVID-19 and the impact it has had on all. It is as a result of these devastating and unforeseen circumstances that we must inform you of our toughest decision to permanently close Woolton picture House.

Woolton Picture House will always hold a sentimental place in all our hearts. Many happy moments and wonderful memories have been created at the cinema during the 93 years it has been open; from first dates to couples 100th date, first childhood cinematic experiences, to wedding days and family gatherings at Christmas.

It has been our sincere delight to have had the pleasure to welcome you all time & again and we whole heartedly thank you for your gracious presence and kind support, that over the years has enabled the cinema to remain open. But it is now with great sorrow that we are to close our wonderful red doors. We will forever remember and think fondly of a place that allowed us to share time with the Hollywood stars, be absorbed into other worlds and leave reality behind for a short time.

We will not say goodbye to you or our beloved cinema but instead “you had me at hello”.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Woolton Picture House closing for good.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 04:45:35 pm »
That's sad news. Only went a couple of times as a kid but there and Woolton baths were a bit more exotic than Garston baths and the Gaumont on Allerton Road, possibly because Woolton seemed more rural than the surrounding areas.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 04:55:35 pm »
Done my swimming bagdes (Bronze, Silver and Gold) in there, taught my kids to swim in there as well. Sad times, the library, the baths and now the pictures gone.
Chippy tits said in the Echo that the library could only be leased if it will continue as a community asset and not an out and out commercial business, next thing someones bought it and its a private residence. We used to do our school quizzes downstairs which was the younger kids library. Progress.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 05:00:09 pm »
Done my swimming bagdes (Bronze, Silver and Gold) in there, taught my kids to swim in there as well. Sad times, the library, the baths and now the pictures gone.
Chippy tits said in the Echo that the library could only be leased if it will continue as a community asset and not an out and out commercial business, next thing someones bought it and its a private residence. We used to do our school quizzes downstairs which was the younger kids library. Progress.

Forgot about the library. That was a little gem as well.

Was the Bear Brands factory going when you were there or before your time?

When we were teenagers we'd hang around trying to chat up the younger girls working there,money to get chased by the old ones - 'sod off, yer dirty young bastards.'

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 05:56:22 pm »
Did a fundraising sketch act there about 10 years ago (there's a mini stage in front of the cinema screen).  It's sad news to hear. :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 09:48:24 pm »
That's really sad ya know.
There's an established poster on here (hello Chris) whose brother is a lurker (hello T) has taken his family to see 'It's a Wonderful Life' every Christmas Eve for about 25 years, maybe more.
You can't ever replace traditions and annual enjoyments like that.

It also remained one of the few cinemas that had an ice-cream interval and the lady stood at the front with her tray.

Chopper was probably there when it first opened. Bless him.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 10:10:23 pm »
Forgot about the library. That was a little gem as well.

Was the Bear Brands factory going when you were there or before your time?

When we were teenagers we'd hang around trying to chat up the younger girls working there,money to get chased by the old ones - 'sod off, yer dirty young bastards.'
Remember the Bear Brand well, we used to cut through the factory and get legged by the workies/security and yes it was full of girls I was a bit too young for chatting up when it was still open. It was derelict for what seemed like ages but some small businesses set up in there, I remember a van hire but there was others I cant recall. There was a skateboard park as well which I think was short lived. Then years later it became Tescos, which I was told - pre-covid - is on the verge of shutting down. Its the land in Woolton that people/developers want and Chippy tits wants the council tax plus backhanders, allegedly.

Edit : Just got a Whatsapp message off my eldest daughter and there is a Go Fund Me page for the baths that has £7,500 so far, no idea what the target is or what happens to the money if the target isn't reached but I wish them well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:17:58 pm by WhoHe »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 11:07:17 pm »
Remember the Bear Brand well, we used to cut through the factory and get legged by the workies/security and yes it was full of girls I was a bit too young for chatting up when it was still open. It was derelict for what seemed like ages but some small businesses set up in there, I remember a van hire but there was others I cant recall. There was a skateboard park as well which I think was short lived. Then years later it became Tescos, which I was told - pre-covid - is on the verge of shutting down. Its the land in Woolton that people/developers want and Chippy tits wants the council tax plus backhanders, allegedly.

Edit : Just got a Whatsapp message off my eldest daughter and there is a Go Fund Me page for the baths that has £7,500 so far, no idea what the target is or what happens to the money if the target isn't reached but I wish them well.

Yeah there's houses in the old quarry site now, aren't there?

Seems abit late in the day raising money for the baths as it's been closed for a few years now and I'd imagine it is pretty derelict.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2020, 09:17:09 am »
Sorry its the Cinema that there is a Go Fund Me page for, not the baths.
Simon O'Brien has been involved in the baths and our own Dirk Kuyt was involved whilst here but yeah I think its probably too far gone now to restore. They did get some stuff from Liverpool Uni for the renovation but didnt hear anything after that, it has been used by Simon O'Brien for one of his TV shows as well.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #9 on: August 2, 2020, 12:51:45 am »
Remember the Bear Brand well, we used to cut through the factory and get legged by the workies/security and yes it was full of girls I was a bit too young for chatting up when it was still open. It was derelict for what seemed like ages but some small businesses set up in there, I remember a van hire but there was others I cant recall.

One of our neighbours had a unit making leather gun holsters for the US plod in There during the eighties.

There was a skateboard park as well which I think was short lived.

That was on quarry street up by the Village Inn.
Opposite that was some sort of lorry park ?

John Lennon swam in that pool, maybe some Americans can help fund its renovation?? The baths will be a really sad loss as is the cinema. Many good times in both those places.

Simon O'Brien is a local and Dirk still owns a big house higher up quarry st.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2020, 12:57:05 am by moondog »

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2020, 10:16:34 am »
The GoFund me page is on around £20k atm which is an incredible amount raised in less than two days. No indication of how much is needed to keep the place going.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #11 on: August 5, 2020, 04:07:16 pm »
Zanzibar club will also close for good

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2020, 12:52:54 pm »
Zanzibar club will also close for good

Terrible news, had so many great nights in there watching mates bands play, or going to Useless - the night Zombina & The Skeletones used to put on. Think it was a quid in and you saw about 5 or 6 bands, some boss nights.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 04:16:16 pm »
Very very sad. Used to go to Woolton baths every week in the 60s and 70s and the Woolton cinema about the same. Both of them are/ were aesthetically-pleasing little gems which were purpose built for what they were used for. It begs the question, what will happen to them now. Probably bulldozed and some concrete eye-sore will be put there in their place. Then in 25 years, the Echo will run a story about lost-gems and how no one fought to save the Woolton or the baths.

I know about all the great work that was done to save the picture house about 10 years ago even if I no longer live in the city. Can't the same be done again to save both of these precious pieces of our heritage?

And if  the council don't fancy putting up the cash, wouldn't it be great for a wealthy private citizen/s to  finance these places?  I  know it's a pipe dream

South Liverpool deserve these facilities. Like the library. In an ideal world, these places should be financed even if they don't make a profit. Just like street lights and other stuff that costs money but doesn't make a profit. They always used to be considered as essential services and came out of the council budget. Progress eh?

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 05:19:42 pm »
Eldest daughter has just said it's getting ready to open up again, it's on their Facebook page, good news.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 07:01:46 pm »
Excellent news!  Well done everyone involved.  All we need are the baths back now !!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 01:51:26 pm »
Excellent news!  Well done everyone involved.  All we need are the baths back now !!

Ha! The smallest baths in the world- well they were compared to our usual highly bleached swimming hole, Garston Baths.

My dad, who was a keen swimmer, talked about Dovecot baths like they were out of this world but I never got there. Went to Speke a few times but always seemed too modern.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 03:59:29 pm »

My dad, who was a keen swimmer, talked about Dovecot baths like they were out of this world but I never got there. Went to Speke a few times but always seemed too modern.

Dovey Baths where brilliant, so ahead of their time. I lived just behind them for years and went there every weekend.

It had 3 pools, one a 10 meter diving pool, a cafe and loads of seating areas. This was in the mid to lates 60's and was brilliant for a council run public amenitiy.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 09:28:42 am »
You said it Mike . A brilliant council-run amenity. And without wanting to get political, that was what civilized society did back then. The baths, the library, the parks , schools, night school. They all served a purpose. The councils were spending money and they weren't being told that they had to make a profit. The baths were there. Empty or full, they existed and people could use them if and when they needed. Like school orchestras . They might not bring any profit but they teach kids new skills, get them out of the house  and show them a new world. It's not nuclear theory.
The baths were built as fucking baths and that's what they should be. Or will they be filled in and turned into student accommodation.  :butt :butt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 9, 2020, 02:28:37 pm »
Not hearing his song's making him sad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 9, 2020, 02:29:09 pm »
Wrong thread!!!