Author Topic: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)  (Read 371808 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)
« Reply #2840 on: September 14, 2021, 09:09:00 am »
On the other side of the ledger. Next time someone has a dozen almonds think of the 144 litres of waters used to produce them.
https://www.truthordrought.com/almond-milk-myths

Selected highlight:

"Some other comparisons (Sources: UN Food and Agriculture Organization and the USDA):

A quarter pound of almonds takes 75 gallons of water to produce, and Americans eat an average of 2 pounds of almonds per year. That's 600 gallons of water per year per person in almonds.

Comparatively, Americans eat an average of 72 pounds of red meat per year, which consumes 133,560 gallons of water per year per person.

Poultry takes “just” 61% as much water as red meat to produce an equivalent amount."

Sadly, Barry, what this serves to confirm is that 'whataboutism?' is an ineffective means of argument. A stand-alone stat is meaningless unless it's put into context by way of real-terms comparison.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)
« Reply #2841 on: September 14, 2021, 09:50:23 am »
Exactly.  Some real luddites around (in terms of thinking, not technology), including one or two mods.

If you're referring to me and my comments then please re-read what I said. veganism is not the answer to anything. It's a belief system not science-based.

Reduction in meat-eating is a good thing but a balanced food production system that makes the best use of all land is the optimum for food production. Some land, especially in less-developed countries, is of no use as agrarian land and raising animals provides meat protein and valuable dairy foods.

Vegetarianism is fine but veganism is a fad created in the nineteenth century by anti-science extremists who also believed in things like water therapy instead of medicine.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #2842 on: September 14, 2021, 01:34:16 pm »
Vegetarianism is fine but veganism is a fad created in the nineteenth century by anti-science extremists who also believed in things like water therapy instead of medicine.
Definitely getting back to you on that one, Alan. Seems unfair to tarnish the entire vegan movement with a brush made two centuries ago. Remember, the KKK was first invented by the Democratic Party. Things change.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2843 on: September 15, 2021, 03:12:10 pm »
Still baffles me why people in the developed nations still insist on eating meat now that we no longer need to.

Because it's delicious.

I can't imagine a main meal without meat.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2844 on: September 15, 2021, 03:24:03 pm »
Still baffles me why people in the developed nations still insist on eating meat now that we no longer need to.

I guess it's an addiction

If god didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have made them so yummy.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2845 on: September 15, 2021, 03:40:03 pm »

Because it's delicious.

I can't imagine a main meal without meat.
When the rest of the world aspires for every main meal with meat it's definitely going to be a problem.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2846 on: September 15, 2021, 05:29:36 pm »
That's the issue. Meat shouldn't be on the main meal every day. It wouldn't be our natural diet. It would be consumed occasionally and was. Meat is fine in smaller quantities but we've been "educated" by powerful lobbies to believe we should eat it with every meal.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2847 on: September 18, 2021, 08:03:35 am »
If you're referring to me and my comments then please re-read what I said. veganism is not the answer to anything. It's a belief system not science-based.

Reduction in meat-eating is a good thing but a balanced food production system that makes the best use of all land is the optimum for food production. Some land, especially in less-developed countries, is of no use as agrarian land and raising animals provides meat protein and valuable dairy foods.

To be fair there’s pretty decent reasons for not eating dairy;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/dairy-industry-animal-rights-cow-treatment-milk-production-a8554196.html%3famp

I do myself, although I’ve massively cut down on it, and I do eat meat, albeit only once or twice a week these days as I can’t afford the organic stuff every night and some research I’ve done into the practices involved in supermarket meat production has made me never want to eat it again.

As I say, i’m not vegan but to label a whole lifestyle choice as a fad when there’s legitimate factual reasons not to eat dairy seems a touch harsh.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2848 on: September 20, 2021, 11:14:29 am »
If god didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have made them so yummy.

That’s not how god works. All the enjoyable stuff is temptation that you’re supposed to avoid. It’s all a test.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2849 on: September 20, 2021, 11:32:39 am »
I see these climate terrorists are blocking motorways again and endangering the lives of normal every day folk.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2850 on: September 20, 2021, 01:25:57 pm »
I see these climate terrorists are blocking motorways again and endangering the lives of normal every day folk.
Seen the story about the guy rushing his mother to hospital with a suspected stroke getting stuck for hours.

I absolutely despise these people. It doesn't matter how much I agree with their 'message', when they do stuff like this it really irks me. It's counterproductive when they're trapping people on motorways, making them miss work, prevent them from going home to rest, and even worse - put people at risk. You lose support doing stuff like that.

They don't get it either, they aren't arsed.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2851 on: September 20, 2021, 01:28:23 pm »

It's actually the majority of people in this country who don't get or aren't arsed.

Currently we're heading for absolute hell and a lot quicker than people may think.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2852 on: September 20, 2021, 01:29:23 pm »

:o

Climate terrorists?

surely fishing here
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2853 on: September 20, 2021, 01:31:30 pm »
It's actually the majority of people in this country who don't get or aren't arsed.

Currently we're heading for absolute hell and a lot quicker than people may think.
You don't think it's wrong to block motorways and leave ordinary people sat there for hours?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2854 on: September 20, 2021, 01:32:24 pm »

I've not been following this closely, but have they used violence or the threat of violence?

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2855 on: September 20, 2021, 01:35:32 pm »
You don't think it's wrong to block motorways and leave ordinary people sat there for hours?

No i don't

people need to wake up

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2856 on: September 20, 2021, 01:35:53 pm »
All they’ve achieved is caused criminal damage by pouring a load of blue paint onto the road and I imagine turned the majority of the public against them.

What happens when an emergency service vehicle needs to use that part of the motorway to get to their destination? Do they move?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2857 on: September 20, 2021, 01:36:05 pm »
I've not been following this closely, but have they used violence or the threat of violence?

Of course not

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2858 on: September 20, 2021, 01:45:04 pm »
Seen the story about the guy rushing his mother to hospital with a suspected stroke getting stuck for hours.

I absolutely despise these people. It doesn't matter how much I agree with their 'message', when they do stuff like this it really irks me. It's counterproductive when they're trapping people on motorways, making them miss work, prevent them from going home to rest, and even worse - put people at risk. You lose support doing stuff like that.

You don't get supporters by pissing them off.

Unless you're Everton.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2859 on: September 20, 2021, 01:46:26 pm »
Of course not
There are better ways to go about things. You seem to have the same mentality as the people sat in the road. Your response to my initial post is exactly what they'd say to everything.

"I can't get to work and I'll lose my job/money if I'm late"
"But this is a big issue"

"My mother is having a stroke, and she'll be permanently paralysed if she doesn't get to the hospital on time"
"People need to wake up"

If you're happy to be sat in traffic for hours, then congratulations, because all of the issues that come with it do not apply to you.

Extinction Rebellion lost all public support for the stuff they did despite campaigning for issues I imagine you are passionate about. So, if you think Insulate Britain are doing the right thing, I can't help you.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2860 on: September 20, 2021, 01:57:17 pm »
There are better ways to go about things. You seem to have the same mentality as the people sat in the road. Your response to my initial post is exactly what they'd say to everything.

"My mother is having a stroke, and she'll be permanently paralysed if she doesn't get to the hospital on time"
"People need to wake up"

If you're happy to be sat in traffic for hours, then congratulations, because all of the issues that come with it do not apply to you.

Extinction Rebellion lost all public support for the stuff they did despite campaigning for issues I imagine you are passionate about. So, if you think Insulate Britain are doing the right thing, I can't help you.

My question that SDDL responded to was just in regards to the use of the word terrorist, not whether the actions they are taking are helpful or not.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2861 on: September 20, 2021, 02:11:22 pm »
Using the CPS’s definition of terrorism I’d 100% class them as terrorists.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/terrorism

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2862 on: September 20, 2021, 02:24:52 pm »

Patel agrees with you.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2863 on: September 20, 2021, 02:29:16 pm »
Patel agrees with you.

I couldn’t careless what she thinks personally, but I think what these lot are doing is massively endangering the public and is fucking idiotic.

I actually agree with their concerns too.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2864 on: September 20, 2021, 02:41:52 pm »

That's a broader definition than what I remembered and I can see the argument that it might fit.

However, though they obviously did endanger a life in this instance, I don't think that was their intent - even if it was reckless.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2865 on: September 20, 2021, 02:45:09 pm »

"People need to wake up"

I'm not supporting the disruption of the lives of thousands of ordinary people, but they have tried targeted action - picketing/invading the offices of scumbag corporations, protesting at banks who fund fossil fuel companies, gluing themselves to the Tory 'battlebus',  crashing that Tory/finance sector black tie bash at Mansion House, etc.

Didn't work.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2866 on: September 20, 2021, 02:46:07 pm »

Its not like you to make sweeping generalisations about 'this country' :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2867 on: September 20, 2021, 02:49:34 pm »
That's a broader definition than what I remembered and I can see the argument that it might fit.

However, though they obviously did endanger a life in this instance, I don't think that was their intent - even if it was reckless.

I mean it may not have been their intent but it was quite an obvious outcome from their actions so not sure it is an excuse.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2868 on: September 20, 2021, 02:57:35 pm »
I mean it may not have been their intent but it was quite an obvious outcome from their actions so not sure it is an excuse.

I just mean the fact that wasn't the intent would mean it isn't really terrorism.

Loads of people endanger lives all the time through recklessness or incompetence but that doesn't make them terrorists.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2869 on: September 20, 2021, 03:04:09 pm »
I just mean the fact that wasn't the intent would mean it isn't really terrorism.

Loads of people endanger lives all the time through recklessness or incompetence but that doesn't make them terrorists.

Most of the time they aren’t preplanned actions though. This is a coordinated attack on the motorway network whichever way you want to look at it. 

The action is deliberate aimed to block the motorway and whilst they may feel their outcome of this is to raise awareness the quite obvious other outcome is that it endangers lives.

Really don’t think hiding behind the fact it isn’t their aim is much defence.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2870 on: September 20, 2021, 03:06:15 pm »
Most of the time they aren’t preplanned actions though. This is a coordinated attack on the motorway network whichever way you want to look at it. 

The action is deliberate aimed to block the motorway and whilst they may feel their outcome of this is to raise awareness the quite obvious other outcome is that it endangers lives.

Really don’t think hiding behind the fact it isn’t their aim is much defence.

Their intent is to cause disruption though, not endanger lives. I'm not getting into the ins and outs of whether it is justified or not. I'm just talking about whether it qualifies as terrorism.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2871 on: September 20, 2021, 03:08:15 pm »
Their intent is to cause disruption though, not endanger lives. I'm not getting into the ins and outs of whether it is justified or not. I'm just talking about whether it qualifies as terrorism.

I’d imagine someone calling in a fake bomb scare is to cause distribution too - I’d still class it as terrorism.

Fact is it’s not some weird outcome that lives are being endangered by this, it’s an obvious outcome. That’s why it is for me.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2872 on: September 20, 2021, 03:10:25 pm »
How come it took 6 hours for the police to move the protesters anyway?

Is it not illegal to sit in the middle of a motorway?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2873 on: September 20, 2021, 03:20:58 pm »
Is it not illegal to sit in the middle of a motorway?

Yes. Yes it is

Highways Act 1980

Penalty for wilful obstruction

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £50.

(2)A constable may arrest without warrant any person whom he sees committing an offence against this section.

Worst thing is that the Met police (I label them Met police because they should not be classed as a class of law enforcement) are either arresting then de-arresting them or arresting and then bailing without restrictions so they just end up back blocking the roads within 24 hours. Plus a £50 fine isn't really going to hurt them in the pocket

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2874 on: September 20, 2021, 03:22:50 pm »
But it does save them talking about the gas companies that are about to go bust due to skyrocketing energy costs.

Anyone on a variable rate gas plan should try and get onto a fixed rate tariff ASAP.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2875 on: September 20, 2021, 03:27:31 pm »
I’d imagine someone calling in a fake bomb scare is to cause distribution too - I’d still class it as terrorism.

Fact is it’s not some weird outcome that lives are being endangered by this, it’s an obvious outcome. That’s why it is for me.

Well yeah that comes under intimidation and/or threats.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2876 on: September 20, 2021, 03:39:08 pm »
But it does save them talking about the gas companies that are about to go bust due to skyrocketing energy costs.

Anyone on a variable rate gas plan should try and get onto a fixed rate tariff ASAP.

Some well-known comparison sites have suspended their comparison service for energy.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2877 on: September 20, 2021, 03:45:26 pm »
Well yeah that comes under intimidation and/or threats.

but it's just their intention to disrupt...

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2878 on: September 20, 2021, 03:51:17 pm »
but it's just their intention to disrupt...

That's not in the CPS definition though apart from for electronic systems.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2879 on: September 20, 2021, 06:19:07 pm »
That's not in the CPS definition though apart from for electronic systems.

Well the CPS does not define if there has to be intent to endanger lives or not, just that the act does in fact endanger lives.

So under the law as I read it, they could consider an act of forcing a motorway closed and endangering the lives of the public who are using it as a terrorist act, even if endangering said lives was not their "intent".

As said, ringing a bomb hoax in does not mean you have the intent on actually endangering lives, it could be for the reason as you said, to "cause disruption", however just like this it could be considered a terrorism act because it did in fact endanger lives and did so to "advance a political, religious, racial or ideological cause".

For me, this group know 100% that they are endangering lives, I mean they'd ALL need to be absolutely brain dead not to know that, but they have individually and collectively decided that the amount they are endangering, or the amount of people who may or may not be hurt due to their actions, is not enough to put them off their act.