Author Topic: Tempted to Quit RAWK  (Read 12170 times)

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Re: Tempted to Quit RAWK
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2021, 07:51:46 pm »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2021, 09:46:36 pm »
Those stats Barney put up illustrate a change of circumstances don't they. Just on registration, it's not worked all year so will impact that figure.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2021, 10:05:08 pm »
I tried to look at the forum on my phone once. Never again. That is the obvious disadvantage of internet forums in the modern age, especially when other more accessible outlets are available.

I don't actually mind using it on my phone.  My eyesight is pretty poor and I need reading glasses for most stuff on the laptop, but with RAWK I can zoom in so much the text is easily readable. Needs a fair bit of side scrolling mind.

10000 of those new topics in 2011 were probably from Andy starting polls about how high people wear their socks or whether a toaster should be kept in the cupboard or not.

Another 10000 are probably Mad Max giving us match attendance numbers over at Goodison.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:07:23 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2021, 06:57:48 am »
Well, Reddit's essentially a forum and that's been doing fine. I have a feeling the forum was probably hit by the no new members rule a few years back, as necessary as it was, but generally with these there's an issue that the forums do become too insular and cliquey after a while. But then that's how the regular posters like it a lot of the time.
That and the fact that this is a private forum with set rules and regulations. Personally, I love the fact that it is regulated as it keeps the forum principled but I would assume not everyone enjoys that. Reddit, Twitter and other popular platforms, more often than not, give people a voice to spout whatever they want.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2021, 08:31:00 am »
I don't actually mind using it on my phone.  My eyesight is pretty poor and I need reading glasses for most stuff on the laptop, but with RAWK I can zoom in so much the text is easily readable. Needs a fair bit of side scrolling mind.

Another 10000 are probably Mad Max giving us match attendance numbers over at Goodison.

I really enjoyed Mad Max's Goodison attendance figures and his updated score 10 minutes after the fact

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2021, 12:30:50 pm »
I really enjoyed Mad Max's Goodison attendance figures and his updated score 10 minutes after the fact

What's your view on toaster Geolocation?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2021, 01:06:59 pm »

There's a thing in Northern Ireland that one side keeps theirs on the worktop, but the other keeps theirs in the cupboard.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2021, 01:18:54 pm »
There's a thing in Northern Ireland that one side keeps theirs on the worktop, but the other keeps theirs in the cupboard.

Does the one in the cupboard march around the kitchen on the 12th?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2021, 03:06:16 pm »

Right next to the microwave and kettle

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2021, 03:55:10 pm »
I very rarely go into the politics section, so for the most part I haven't seen the kind of toxicity others are mentioning. There are times when it spills out into other threads though. Occasionally, a user will take one post you've made and make assumptions about your entire personality based on a few sentences. Some can be very quick to judge. That's probably always been the case though, as it has on any forum. The more noticeable change in online discourse is the division between "us" and "them". It leads to the instant dismissal of someone's viewpoint and kills all discussions instantly. Again, I don't visit the politics section, but it'd be a shame if RAWK was a place where that happens.

On the whole though, this forum is where I come to get away from the toxicity of other sites. The positive interactions vastly outnumber the negative. It's also brilliantly designed and easy to use. I know that's not what we're talking about here but it's always worth mentioning because most forums are an absolute chore to navigate.

(Edit - Having said all that, Samie has probably just seen the words "Tempted to Quit RAWK - Last Post by S" and thought, "Please, let this be the day!")
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:57:39 pm by S »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2021, 04:10:05 pm »
I very rarely go into the politics section, so for the most part I haven't seen the kind of toxicity others are mentioning. There are times when it spills out into other threads though. Occasionally, a user will take one post you've made and make assumptions about your entire personality based on a few sentences. Some can be very quick to judge. That's probably always been the case though, as it has on any forum. The more noticeable change in online discourse is the division between "us" and "them". It leads to the instant dismissal of someone's viewpoint and kills all discussions instantly. Again, I don't visit the politics section, but it'd be a shame if RAWK was a place where that happens.

On the whole though, this forum is where I come to get away from the toxicity of other sites. The positive interactions vastly outnumber the negative. It's also brilliantly designed and easy to use. I know that's not what we're talking about here but it's always worth mentioning because most forums are an absolute chore to navigate.

(Edit - Having said all that, Samie has probably just seen the words "Tempted to Quit RAWK - Last Post by S" and thought, "Please, let this be the day!")

Would he be Amie then?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2021, 04:28:54 pm »
I'm not sure I agree that there's hostility to newer posters. I've seen it, true, but it's only when the new poster has come up with something abhorrent or terrible as an opinion with their first post and that's going to be met with derision whether you're new or an experienced poster. RAWK does feel some ways from when you had to wait to be able to sign up, but I'm thankful for the platform, the other users and the work the mods do. Largely it's inclusive and is a relief compared to most places on the internet. I've been a member of various forums down the years, some still functioning and RAWK is the only one I still post on.

I joined not long ago, and within half a dozen posts was being accused of "disrespecting players" when I had - literally - said zero negative about anyone at all.  I challenged him to post examples, he STFU immediately.

After a week or so I was wondering if I'd bother continuing.  Like someone said above, there are too many people sitting on ridiculously high horses.

But I'm still here and am continuing to find good stuff almost every day.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2021, 04:33:12 pm »
As for declining posters ....

I tried on and off for close to a year to sign up and kept getting a really really dumb error message.  If it takes that long to get in .......

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2021, 05:46:38 pm »
So let me get this right, the site was a lot better 10 years ago and has slowly decline over the years.

Wonder if its anything to do with me no longer being a mod... ;)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2021, 06:05:17 pm »
So let me get this right, the site was a lot better 10 years ago and has slowly decline over the years.

Wonder if its anything to do with me no longer being a mod... ;)

What happened ten years ago?

FSG out!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2021, 06:24:22 pm »
As for declining posters ....

I tried on and off for close to a year to sign up and kept getting a really really dumb error message.  If it takes that long to get in .......
I tried on and off for even longer than that to register, without any success. I then gave up trying for a good while. On day I just tried again on the off chance and registration was open.

I'd not been on long before I got lumped in with a number of newbies by a longtime poster who wanted newbies purged from the site because a few opinions differed from his. 😀 He's ok though, and I do like his presence on the site.

I'm glad I stuck around. It's a good site, with a lot of good people who I've grown to really care about. Yes, it's primarily a football forum but, to me, it's a lot more than that.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2021, 07:09:33 pm »
The closing of the official forum and the Istanbul brought a fuck load of whoppers to the site back in the day.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2021, 07:43:44 pm »
There will be rough with smooth with anything. I am pretty scared to post on the main football pages as I felt like I got roasted on there for pretty benign opinions, but frankly I will never have the insight that some posters have. I did look up PhaseofPlay yesterday who was one of my favorites. Its pretty shit that the last time he posted was June of last year and apparently due to negative BS.

I don't think things are very easy for Mods and I there is no way I would bother posting on Reddit or any other non moderated web site. I am really thankful for the time and effort the mods put in. I am also sure that having a forum where people get banned or keeping membership access restricted must have an affect on participation. This is still a great site.

What everyone else has said is clearly completely true and there will always be down sides. I am just glad there is a good web site with good people that has been a huge benefit in my life when I was coming off booze and is a constant source of interesting knowledge of all manner of topics.

Thanks mods and thanks to the other positive posters.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2021, 11:40:06 pm »
I am just glad there is a good web site with good people that has been a huge benefit in my life when I was coming off booze and is a constant source of interesting knowledge of all manner of topics.

Thanks mods and thanks to the other positive posters.

reported for blatant mod ass-kissing.  :)

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2021, 09:16:53 am »
The closing of the official forum and the Istanbul brought a fuck load of whoppers to the site back in the day.

Apologies, I’ve never heard of this. Did the club have its own forum? Was it popular? I’m assuming this was in the Houllier era when the internet was taking off.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2021, 09:22:14 am »
Apologies, I’ve never heard of this. Did the club have its own forum? Was it popular? I’m assuming this was in the Houllier era when the internet was taking off.

Yeah, think there was a forum on the old .tv official site.

The real hardcore were posting on Teamtalk and patiently waiting for it to be refreshed once or twice a day in the hope your comment got published. :D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2021, 09:39:05 am »

Yes, as Nick says it was called .tv. The club did something with the forums to lock them down most of the day and then loads moved here. Then with Istanbul, we picked up loads of new fans who were pretty clueless. I got sick of being asked outside the ground which one was the Kop or Main Stand :butt
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2021, 01:32:29 pm »

;D

Tempting to open a case of the cheapest booze mate but I'd miss you on here you Negative Nancy.  ;D

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2021, 09:04:16 pm »

They still do have a forum.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2021, 05:34:25 pm »
It was great fun being a Mod when the official site closed their forum...

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2021, 06:11:42 pm »

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=119208.msg8317099#msg8317099
Kill the humourless

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2021, 06:19:00 pm »
They still do have a forum.

Yeah, I came here from another place during the height of the Hicks Gillette saga. It had become utterly toxic, with people saying fans fighting for the club were deluded and we just had to deal with it, and that Benitez had murdered the club etc. Couldn't wait to fuck off out of there, some absolute wham being chat by the likes of HarryFlagg etc.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2021, 06:55:32 am »
I don't know if I count as one of the horrible, toxic ones, but if I do then I apologise. I can get pretty short with people at times but nothing personal is ever meant, not that that's really any excuse. It's been a pretty shite few years but that's no excuse either.

I'm mostly here just to make crap jokes (and I don't even mean good crap, just crap crap) and should probably stick to that.

Hope you stick around Red Berry - and others.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2021, 08:50:22 am »
I'm mostly here just to make crap jokes (and I don't even mean good crap, just crap crap) and should probably stick to that.

In that respect, you're doing a great job son, a great job!

Yep, definitely. I do enjoy's RB's posts :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 06:17:53 pm by Hazellnuts roasting on an open fire »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2021, 09:14:35 am »
I don't know if I count as one of the horrible, toxic ones, but if I do then I apologise. I can get pretty short with people at times but nothing personal is ever meant, not that that's really any excuse. It's been a pretty shite few years but that's no excuse either.

Your speedy response means a lot.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #190 on: December 27, 2021, 11:34:24 am »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2021, 03:54:29 pm »

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #192 on: December 27, 2021, 03:58:04 pm »
I'll respond to that calumny in a few months...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2021, 03:59:38 pm »
In that respect, you're doing a son, a great job!
Shithousing with a smile on my face and scoring pearlers?

:)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2021, 06:18:22 pm »
Shithousing with a smile on my face and scoring pearlers?

:)

Ha ha, oops ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2021, 09:20:00 pm »
Years ago I was guilty of occasionally dropping in here, simply because I was younger, busier, probably slightly more immature. Then, as you grow older and wiser you realise the numerous nuggets of gold hidden away in here, those wise-heads, those who are on the same wave-length and have the same mindset as you.

Things happen in your life and you find yourself reaching out to these guys for advice and support. Reading back through my own posts, I’ve come here for support after losing my mum, buying a house, falling out with friends, dealing with mingebags (everyone loved that one). I’ll never underestimate the power of RAWK.

That said, lately, there has been some really heavy subjects, Covid, Black Lives Matter and Sarah Everard. I’ve read some posts off people and thought, “you’re full of shit!”, but at the same time I’ve read posts and literally cried my eyes out.
Sometimes you see a subject and everyone is practically posting what people want to hear, part of you is a bit reluctant to give your own opinion in case you are called out by others.

Whilst I would encourage anyone on RAWK to voice their opinion, you would say there is a way of going about it. I guess the best way I can put it is, would you post something on here that you would stand in a pub and say?

Again, goes without saying that I want you stay and carry on posting, but with you on whatever you choose.

All the best
Andy

Yes, there is some good advice available from the posters on here. I can remember reaching out in the past:- 

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=283252.msg16655833#msg16655833

;D
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2021, 10:04:57 pm »
Yes, there is some good advice available from the posters on here.

For everyone else, there's Al...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 2, 2022, 07:08:02 pm »
Don't know about quitting, but certainly thinking of taking a break, at least from the main forum. Unless we win by three goals every single thread there seems to spiral into twitter like tantrums, agenda driven posts repeated again and again, throwing shit at the players, moaning about spending. It's just so fucking tiresome.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #198 on: January 2, 2022, 07:43:17 pm »
It was great fun being a Mod when the official site closed their forum...

That was a fun time ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 2, 2022, 07:53:07 pm »
Unless we win by three goals every single thread there seems to spiral into twitter like tantrums, agenda driven posts repeated again and again, throwing shit at the players, moaning about spending. It's just so fucking tiresome.

Quite happy to win every game 1-0.

to be honest I've come to expect a win every game, except maybe Man City away.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "