Author Topic: Spirit of Shankly Q&A  (Read 298204 times)

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #360 on: September 1, 2010, 11:55:40 am »
The membership currently have given no indication that we should be targetting the sponsors of the Club who in contrast to the owners are introducing funds to the Club not bleeding them out.

Also there are potential legal difficulties with the shirt, that happily don't look like they are arising, as I have assisted a number of people on this site over the years with attacks from lawyers on behalf of sponsors, Clubs and manufacturers over the breach of intellectual property rights for stuff like this.

If the Union got behind this campaign it could be seen as sponsoring it and be open to an unarguable legal challenge, giving those that would like us silenced a great opportunity to have a go at us.
ahh right! Cheers for that graham!

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: September 2, 2010, 04:23:53 pm »
the other, other plan.

I would threaten a boycott from October 6th if the club is not taken from H&G's hands on or before that date.

However, and this is the big if, the problem with any discussion of a boycott is that season ticket holders are generally unwilling to withhold for fear that they will lose their rights. So, start a register of all season ticket holders who are prepared to take a risk and boycott, keep this register of names in the hands of some neutral lawyer, (SOS could organise it, but not maintain it), on the clear understanding that these season ticket rights would have to be restored upon new ownership. Any person taking up the vacated season ticket rights would be effectively crossing the picket line and would, upon new ownership, understand that their actions were contrary to the long term health of the club and would automatically be put to the back of the queue for season tickets upon new ownership, though of course with a new stadium there may be room for all. WE should focus on dissuading, not punishing. Either way, the task becomes:
a. Persuade season ticket holders to withdraw their labour ( ie. send back the tickets ) and go on strike, knowing that the one thing they fear, losing their rights, would be protected in the long term.
b. Persuade those on the waiting list not to pick up the tickets that become available, for such action would be both selfish and destructive to LFC.

What is important is that if RBS take the club away from H&G on or before October 6th, then no action is necessary. On the contrary, we should start to financially support the club as best we can if they do this. This action would hopefully never need to be more than a threat, framed as a way to properly support the club and save it from an ignominious death, but most of all as a way to press the reset button and get H&G gone. Such a threat, if properly supported, would be the only really meaningful way for the support that pays the bills to have any effect.

Only if RBS do not follow through would this action need to start up. This would mean a picket from that day forth, with clear guidelines to take the ghandi approach, passive non violent resistance to block/dissuade/shame any from entry to the ground.

To put it bluntly, anyone continuing to use their season ticket would be directly betraying their club. It would, imo, be unreasonable to ask season ticket holders to just give up their tickets without some recourse, down the line, to reclaim their rights to such tickets. We would make it a condition of sale that any new owner would reinstate the seasies rights......or very simply we would hound them like we've hounded H&G, something a new owner would never want to do since we are where the money comes from.

The other advantage of this approach is that it makes protest meaningful. There will be little real protest I think between now and October 6th, because, maybe, just maybe, the club will be sold. We just don't know, so there is little to target right now except to beg RBS to take the club out of their hands. We have no idea if they either can, or even will. But I do think that we should demand H&G's departure no later than the 6th, regardless of the circumstances. And this threat, if we (I mean SOS and SaveLFC etc.,) were able to ask the support and organise the Season Ticket Refusers Register, would really have the teeth we have always lacked in this fight. I also believe, perhaps naively, that with this protection in place, and the simple request that the club be sold or taken out of H&G's hands is a reasonable one that most of the support could get behind.

I understand that SOS may have looked at this type of thing years back and binned it as an idea, but if not.....

So the question becomes to Seasie holders....... are you willing to risk H&G continuing their rape of the club by standing by and continuing to give them your financial support? Would you join such a resistance if the above protections were in place?

Redguard added:

"The merit in your suggestion is this - it is an avenue if taken seriously could offer a Season Ticket holder the opportunity to desist from giving G&H money and therefore support, on the understanding that the supporter is 'ring fenced' / protected at such time that the club has new ownership. That to me is a fair proposition - leaving little room for further apathetic excuse.

Perhaps a Season Ticket holder out there may wish to respond to the proposal?"

« Last Edit: September 3, 2010, 01:32:49 am by manifest »

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2010, 02:30:47 pm »
At the EGM I think someone mentioned we needed to make a wider audience aware of SOS and our campaign.

Has anyone thought of contacting "celebrity" LFC fans (across the globe) and asking them to join the union and wear an SOS badge / get us a mention whereever possible. I'm sure a lot would think it a cool thing to do.

For example, it would be nice to see James Bond wearing one in his next movie, or even TV chef Simon Rimmer wearing one standing next to Tim Lovejoy.

Or how about asking the players?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2010, 10:24:48 pm »
At the EGM I think someone mentioned we needed to make a wider audience aware of SOS and our campaign.

Has anyone thought of contacting "celebrity" LFC fans (across the globe) and asking them to join the union and wear an SOS badge / get us a mention whereever possible. I'm sure a lot would think it a cool thing to do.

For example, it would be nice to see James Bond wearing one in his next movie, or even TV chef Simon Rimmer wearing one standing next to Tim Lovejoy.

Or how about asking the players?

Obviously this is where people can help if they meet people. A lot of ex players have links with the club that they don't want to risk or have jobs that stop them from doing so. You had Howard Gayle, John Aldridge, John Bishop and Neil Fitzmaurice speak out in support at the 4th July rally. Think John Bishop tweeted about the protest yesterday as well.

There will be so much they can do on their shows in terms of what they can wear. Simon Rimmer is on twitter, people have asked him before about SOS to no reply. So if you see any at a sportsmans dinner, or out and about or know any, then ask them.

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist + Proud
« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2010, 12:14:23 am »
When the credit union launches (still not heard a date yet) as i dont live in Liverpool but work for St Helens council in Newton-Le-Willows, Merseyside would this allow me to start a savings plan for a £500 share...???
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly :( (Which i can never remember )

Offline Pepe Reina Is Rafas Son

• This must be Pepe's Mother, who else would know?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2010, 11:26:26 am »
When will more details be announced about the credit union?

When is the expected launch date of the credit union?

Is it open to Liverpool supporters of all nationalities?

Is any of it in conjunction with Share Liverpool?

Thanks
Stabbed your boss in the back, the man who made you fucking European Champions, and got in the man you wanted as manager. Just because Rafa wouldn't fucking cuddle you enough and fucking wank you off while telling you how fucking great you are.

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2010, 04:02:31 pm »
You have to live and/or work in Merseyside, not sure if its one or both....I have been asking these questions as well and never get an answer....Very frustrating.

Offline Retro Red

• Listen to this Man.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2010, 05:11:39 pm »
Sorry to the posters above, I've only just seen this.

The credit union is currently open to everyone who lives or works in the Merseyside boroughs of Liverpool, Sefton, Knowsley, Wirral and St Helens. This limitation is due to regulations governing the "common bond" of Partners Credit Union, which "Spirit of Shankly Division" is part of. Legislation was expected this autumn which would have enabled all members of SOS (as a Merseyside registered IPS) to join, treating union members in the same way as employees in Merseyside work places. Unfortunately, the coalition government is currently pre-occupied with decimating public services, inducing a double dip recession and generally destroying lives, so the legislation has now been postponed until later in the year.

SOS-ShareLiverpool has commissioned the process of establishing a properly regulated share issue. Once up and running, people who don't need to save up their £500 will be able to make payments into this account. Better late than never on that side of things eh?

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2010, 05:50:22 pm »
Cheers for that, is there still a way of saving up into a share account...?

Offline foreverred1983

• Kopite
« Reply #369 on: October 4, 2010, 05:07:06 pm »
Just wanted to ask whats the status of the Supporter stake scheme for overseas supporters?
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...

Offline Dave Skywalker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: October 6, 2010, 12:29:47 am »
Shame supporters outside Liverpool couldn't get their £500 in the pot at the same time. I think we could of made a better bid to RBS to finance the fans if they could see the amount of support ready to put the money where their mouth is.

Offline brownie 09

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: October 8, 2010, 12:57:55 pm »
Are SOS planning on backing the fans to go down london for a peaceful demonstration for the court case? if so will you be proving transport?

Thanks

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #372 on: October 8, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »
Are SOS planning on backing the fans to go down london for a peaceful demonstration for the court case? if so will you be proving transport?

Thanks

Contact Kyle on directaction@spiritofshankly.com for a decision on what we might be doing. I think part of the problem might be that the date will be given at such short notice.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline brownie 09

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: October 8, 2010, 02:10:48 pm »
Contact Kyle on directaction@spiritofshankly.com for a decision on what we might be doing. I think part of the problem might be that the date will be given at such short notice.
thanks grahem

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #374 on: October 8, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »
Any news on the Credit Union for OOTs and also the question about opening an account for my little lad?

Offline selas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kemlynite
  • Look at the Phoenix Rising From the Flame$
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »
Any news on the Credit Union for OOTs and also the question about opening an account for my little lad?

This ....  ::) .... for me too please
"Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Offline dom lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #376 on: October 14, 2010, 10:11:01 am »

This ....  ::) .... for me too please
SOS Member; 8306..

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2010, 08:49:13 am »
I've just crossed over to SOS site to have a good read of the meeting with our new owners and found only a summary statement from the 'New One', is that it or am I missing something, what else was said?  I've clicked all over the place but can't find anything, it might be me being thick or something but I can't actually find and dialogue, is it just me.

Apologies if this sounds a bit stroppy, it's not meant to be, but is there any chance of getting a forum type thing going on the SOS site?  Considering we are a union and we are all one, it does seem a little too controlled and secretive, only publishing what appears to have been agreed upon by the committee, maybe that's me being paranoid or just blind, I'm not sure.

I know it's all voluntary and everyone's done and continues to do a great job since the inception of SOS, I'm also very proud to be associated with the lot of you.  Please make it more open and create a two way dialogue forum type thing if possible, I think that's of particular importance for those of us now no longer local and who cannot attend the meetings.  Ta.

Terry 
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2010, 10:37:09 am »
I've just crossed over to SOS site to have a good read of the meeting with our new owners and found only a summary statement from the 'New One', is that it or am I missing something, what else was said?  I've clicked all over the place but can't find anything, it might be me being thick or something but I can't actually find and dialogue, is it just me.

Apologies if this sounds a bit stroppy, it's not meant to be, but is there any chance of getting a forum type thing going on the SOS site?  Considering we are a union and we are all one, it does seem a little too controlled and secretive, only publishing what appears to have been agreed upon by the committee, maybe that's me being paranoid or just blind, I'm not sure.

I know it's all voluntary and everyone's done and continues to do a great job since the inception of SOS, I'm also very proud to be associated with the lot of you.  Please make it more open and create a two way dialogue forum type thing if possible, I think that's of particular importance for those of us now no longer local and who cannot attend the meetings.  Ta.

Terry 

Terry,

The meeting report covers what happened. It was very much them listening and not saying anything at all about their ideas (because as they have said they've only just got on the job).

The next meeting will be more important because it will be at one where we will start to politely ask for some guidance about their ideas and plans.

As far as involvement is concerned feel free to email any Union officer and you'll get a reply and from now on you'll be able to see the meetings on a stream and electronically vote on any issues put to the membership.

The next major issue will be the new elections that will probably take place in January.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2010, 11:03:19 am »
Terry,

The meeting report covers what happened. It was very much them listening and not saying anything at all about their ideas (because as they have said they've only just got on the job).

The next meeting will be more important because it will be at one where we will start to politely ask for some guidance about their ideas and plans.

As far as involvement is concerned feel free to email any Union officer and you'll get a reply and from now on you'll be able to see the meetings on a stream and electronically vote on any issues put to the membership.

The next major issue will be the new elections that will probably take place in January.

Alright Graham,

Thanks for the prompt reply and the update.  I take it it's a non starter then for the forum?

I know it might be a pain to monitor and control but I think it would provide open communication not only with the union officers but also with other SOS members.  If a forum was to be it considered I think with it being only accessible to paid up members it would be easier to control and manage, it may also encourage more overseas members due to its exclusiveness.     
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2010, 04:09:39 pm »
Alright Graham,

Thanks for the prompt reply and the update.  I take it it's a non starter then for the forum?

I know it might be a pain to monitor and control but I think it would provide open communication not only with the union officers but also with other SOS members.  If a forum was to be it considered I think with it being only accessible to paid up members it would be easier to control and manage, it may also encourage more overseas members due to its exclusiveness.     

It's been discussed a few times about a forum on the SOS website but I think the exposure we kindly get from the main fora like RAWK means we're comfortable where we are for now. And there is the moderation issues.

Might not rule it out in the future though.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: October 20, 2010, 08:25:41 am »
Signed up last night, does anybody know roughly when I may get my package?

The website said within a month, was wondering if anybody might have a less vague idea?

Not being impatient or anything, I'm just curious. Thanks :)

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: October 20, 2010, 08:29:19 am »
Don't know if this has been asked before so sorry if it has but is SOS planning on opening any branches in Oz?
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #383 on: October 21, 2010, 01:39:38 am »

The website said within a month, was wondering if anybody might have a less vague idea?

4-6 weeks usually.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #384 on: October 21, 2010, 01:40:23 am »
Don't know if this has been asked before so sorry if it has but is SOS planning on opening any branches in Oz?

Graham will be able to answer this better than me, but I don't think there has been anyone serious come forward and start setting one up.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: October 21, 2010, 10:52:13 am »
Graham will be able to answer this better than me, but I don't think there has been anyone serious come forward and start setting one up.

Correct, a couple of expressions of interest that came to nought.

To see what it involves look at http://www.spiritofshankly.com/branches-documents.html
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #386 on: October 21, 2010, 03:32:54 pm »
Graham/Paul - Just a couple of quick questions for you.

Did you see much momentum in membership numbers during the last days of G&H? Anywhere near 10K yet?

Also wondered if you got any publicity plans/ideas for increasing numbers further now that there's not a clear 'enemy' so to speak? Could be a danger of fans wrongly linking SOS solely to G&H opposition and therefore thinking your work is done, when really it's just beginning. Could need greater publicity of the many other aims and goals on the front page of the website and maybe rewording them into positive reasons for joining.

Also (and I realise you've been a bit busy like!) do you know when the site will be updated to reflect the recent changes? I'm sure you're on the case lads, but the "Why join" page probably needs updating asap, especially the paragraphs about the previous owners.

Cheers.

Offline brownie 09

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: October 21, 2010, 04:20:48 pm »

Did you see much momentum in membership numbers during the last days of G&H? Anywhere near 10K yet?

Also wondered if you got any publicity plans/ideas for increasing numbers further now that there's not a clear 'enemy' so to speak? Could be a danger of fans wrongly linking SOS solely to G&H opposition and therefore thinking your work is done, when really it's just beginning. Could need greater publicity of the many other aims and goals on the front page of the website and maybe rewording them into positive reasons for joining.

Also (and I realise you've been a bit busy like!) do you know when the site will be updated to reflect the recent changes? I'm sure you're on the case lads, but the "Why join" page probably needs updating asap, especially the paragraphs about the previous owners.

Cheers.
Yes ive had to explain to a lot of my mates that this isnt the end of the union as it will always be here now, but it is worring when you see a lot of people thinking that there is now no use for them, a publicity drive needs to be done, not just out lining the main objectives but also about what you have done i.e the season ticket enquiry and getting extra tickets for athens for etc...

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #388 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »

Cheers.

The numbers were ticking over reasonably well when I checked the odd time. Closing in on 9k. Do agree we need to keep spreading the word. Have over 38k on Facebook and 10k on Twitter to help with that.

We had these two videos produced over the Summer as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrO3LZZ9XsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7z0R9nY0k

We are always welcome to any ideas to help spread the word as well in particular reference to showing we still have a job to do.

No deadline for site changes, basically as soon as we can. Some parts more out of date than others. Separate to this as well we are working on a brand new site which will go live in the new year.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #389 on: October 21, 2010, 07:12:05 pm »
Yes ive had to explain to a lot of my mates that this isnt the end of the union as it will always be here now, but it is worring when you see a lot of people thinking that there is now no use for them, a publicity drive needs to be done, not just out lining the main objectives but also about what you have done i.e the season ticket enquiry and getting extra tickets for athens for etc...

Although similar people were part of the original '200 divvies' with the Athens protest that was before the Union, but do get what you mean. We have never really done solely a membership drive as it always has been about Hicks and Gillett. This is something we can work on more and more. Again if people have ideas then get in touch.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #390 on: November 19, 2010, 10:37:44 pm »
I take the lack of response to this and my pm means nothing is happening?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: November 21, 2010, 05:09:49 pm »
I take the lack of response to this and my pm means nothing is happening?

Were waiting for the rules to change - we're now told it should be in the new year.

Accounts can be opened for children too.

We looking to launch a matchday presence to drum up numbers and will be taking contact details from OOTs who want to open when the rules change.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #392 on: November 21, 2010, 07:29:14 pm »
Just to add as well, the best way to contact us is via the e-mails listed on here

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/union-roles.html

PMs to the SOS account on forums only gets checked when putting up a new forum post, so it doesn't get checked regularly.

Offline dom lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #393 on: November 22, 2010, 01:37:29 pm »
Hi there,i joined about 6weeks ago and i havnt heard anything back yet..I dont want to moan about it just thought i would have got a letter with my membership details etc..
SOS Member; 8306..

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #394 on: November 22, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »
Hi there,i joined about 6weeks ago and i havnt heard anything back yet..I dont want to moan about it just thought i would have got a letter with my membership details etc..

The norm is about 4-6 weeks usually, but we have been waiting on a new batch of badges. We will be getting these next Tuesday then we will start sending outstanding membership packs from then.

Offline dom lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #395 on: November 30, 2010, 07:26:23 pm »
Cheers Paul for the update,as i said im in no hurry at all i was just wondering..Look forward to receiving my badge,thanks again..
SOS Member; 8306..

Offline brownie 09

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: January 6, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »
Alright guys,

For the Blackburn game me (uniion member) and my brother (not union member) bought tickets for sos coach travel to the game but for unforseen circumstances couldnt make the coach and my little brother was wondering what would happen because he paid the £20 fee which if i read right the extra £10 meant he become a member once he got the pack on the coach but obviously he didnt get the pack.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: January 8, 2011, 04:35:04 pm »

Still haven't recieved anything since making this post.

Lost in the mail?

Offline dom lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #398 on: January 8, 2011, 05:07:26 pm »
Still haven't recieved anything since making this post.

Lost in the mail?
Same here,joined at the start of October and havnt got anything in the post.. Just wondering is there someone I can contact incase there has been a problem,cheers Dominic..
SOS Member; 8306..

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #399 on: January 9, 2011, 09:47:57 pm »
you not tried any of the addresses here:-

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/contactus.html

Contact Us

Email
General - admin@spiritofshankly.com

Membership issues - membership@spiritofshankly.com

Online payment issues - payments@spiritofshankly.com

Website issues - technical@spiritofshankly.com

Mail
Spirit of Shankly, EDT, 98 Great Homer Street, Liverpool, L5 3LF

Phone
Travel Enquiries - 07511569783

Media Enquiries
James McKenna - 07825 660 859 or jamesmckenna@spiritofshankly.com

Add us on Facebook or join our group.
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'