Author Topic: Holiday 2020 (Now Cancelled due to Coronavirus) will we get away in 2021?  (Read 36445 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holiday 2020
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2020, 08:53:36 am »

Have prices for flights/accomodation suddenly gone up for some reason?

I`m keeping my money in country for my next break, going to Skye, hoping that it doesnt rain all the time.

Good luck with that!  ;D

Probably want to avoid the school holidays, heard it is rammed  pack and need to book accomodation something silly like a year in advance these days.

I'm going to Colonsay myself in April, with family to spread my Grannys ashes. You wouldn't believe this beach is in the Western Isles - might be a bit chilly at that time of year though.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2020, 08:59:04 am »
Good luck with that!  ;D

Probably want to avoid the school holidays, heard it is rammed  pack and need to book accomodation something silly like a year in advance these days.

I'm going to Colonsay myself in April, with family to spread my Grannys ashes. You wouldn't believe this beach is in the Western Isles - might be a bit chilly at that time of year though.

Just need that atlantic jetstream to kick in.  ;)

Similar to your granny, my late father-in-law had his ashes scattered on Harris. He`d been a teacher there in his early years.

We`ve booked a lovely house in Skye, but might have to cook most of our own food as I expect local restaurants to be very expensive.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2020, 10:59:50 am »
Booked flights to Sri Lanka a few days ago for March. Not got too many plans for it yet but England are playing cricket when I'm out there so will try and get to a day of that. Sigiriya, Kandy, Ella and Galle are my musts for the trip!

Also may have scope for a week away later on in the year as well. May head to Jordan for that.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2020, 12:10:49 pm »
Was in San Francisco over New Years, great city

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2020, 01:32:20 pm »
Off to New Zealand for my 50th in February - my partner is from there originally, and is already there as we're halfway through emigrating - I'll be going to join her permanently in June due to work commitments (at least that's my excuse to her, don't tell her it's really because there is NO WAY I am missing the end of the season...)  ;D

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2020, 09:10:50 pm »
I'm off to a wedding in Malaysia (Kuching), in July. Flying on the 1st and back on the 14th, from either KL or Singapore. The wedding is on the 4th so I have just over a week after that to enjoy myself, probably solo.

Looking for recommendations on where to spend the week before flying back. The only real 'destination' I have heard of out there is Bali, and I can do a week with a tour etc.

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2020, 10:03:00 pm »
Off to San Sebastian in April, any recommendations will be greatly received! Looking forward to eating and drinking myself into a coma.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2020, 09:36:47 am »
Installed an app called LuckyTrip on my blower, you whack in a budget, airport preference and it works out a trip for you.

Whacked in £400 from LPL. Cappadocia recommended for the "knob shaped rocks!".... what does it think I am?  ;D

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2020, 09:41:16 am »
Anyone got any recommendations for Phuket area? I've done most of SE Asia but heading there via a few nights in Bangkok in March as I want to tick it all off.

Obviously there's the Man with the Golden Gun national park, Phi Phi etc, but looking for something that may go under the radar a bit, or just nice hotels/restaurants.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:43:02 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2020, 01:29:22 pm »
From Dubrovnik it's easy enough to do day trips into Montenegro as well, so could be a good base for you. Can visit a few islands from there too. Gorgeous place.

Cheers, it'll be more like a "take it easy" holiday with a couple of excursions

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2020, 01:35:51 pm »

Have prices for flights/accomodation suddenly gone up for some reason?

I`m keeping my money in country for my next break, going to Skye, hoping that it doesnt rain all the time.

I had massive road rage in Skye when we went to visit my cousin in Dornie.  Italian tourists everywhere.  Some bloke got stuck coming down a right climb to the top of here (see photo) and i had to get the lass to open the passenger door to see how close to the edge and dying i was.  When i got to the top i was being all nice and letting people through etc. and then when i finalyl had a run these c*nts come at me thinking they own the road.  I was fucking fuming.  Swearing like a c*nt forgetting Jack was in the back.

ENJOY!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2020, 01:37:29 pm »
Might look to do Sharm El Sheikh later this year. Was meant to go in December 2015, just two weeks after the Metrojet crash and it all got cancelled.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2020, 06:17:54 pm »
We would normally fly to Tenerife tomorrow, have done for the past 10 years, but as the eldest is in senior school now, got to wait until school holidays in Feb - getting withdrawal symptoms already. Luckily ours are off the week before everyone else, so prices are still sensible - week later is £1500 more :no
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2020, 06:24:34 pm »
Off to California for 6 days in April, 3 days in Palm Springs, 3 days in Santa Monica area  :D

Much needed after a Chicago winter

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2020, 08:42:54 am »
I had massive road rage in Skye when we went to visit my cousin in Dornie.  Italian tourists everywhere.  Some bloke got stuck coming down a right climb to the top of here (see photo) and i had to get the lass to open the passenger door to see how close to the edge and dying i was.  When i got to the top i was being all nice and letting people through etc. and then when i finalyl had a run these c*nts come at me thinking they own the road.  I was fucking fuming.  Swearing like a c*nt forgetting Jack was in the back.

ENJOY!

Looking forward to it...though i`ve somehow managed to forget about the midges until now.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2020, 12:38:04 pm »
Very brief break to London coming up in the Feb half-term. Got tickets to see Hamilton for the girls for Xmas, with a trip to the Harry Potter studios on the way home the following day.

Going to see/stay with some family friends in early July, who've part-moved to a villa they bought in Murcia. Eldest will have finished her GCSE's; youngest will be ending her first year at high school so sod it.

Then a villa on the west coast of France in late July into Aug - going on the ferry and taking the dog  :-\
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2020, 02:07:15 pm »
Looking at maybe one of Montenegro / Slovenia / Croatia

Anyone have any experience of these regions - it'll be family holiday lads will be 18,14 and 10.  Looking at beach holiday but with some day excursions.

Montenegro is probably the cheapest out of the three, and just as beautiful. If you're going to Montenegro, then Budva is the place to go, but anything the coast is grand.

Croatia, Dubrovnik is great, as is Split,Makarska,Hvar,

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2020, 03:44:20 pm »
Me and Mrs long weekend to London in March Weekend away in may to Oban for my birthday present clashes with last day of season so will be getting that changed  :o  then 10 days in Salou with her and the wee one.

Mate wanting to book up in June for a few days in Berlin anyone been ?
How does Mr Long feel about this? ::)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2020, 04:27:19 pm »
Going Europe from 1st February will it be any differently immediately?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2020, 04:29:12 pm »
Going Europe from 1st February will it be any differently immediately?

No, there's a transition period until December, when everything in the real word will stay the same.

After that, fuck knows with this malevolent bunch of c*nts in government.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2020, 04:43:41 pm »
Will be slumming it here next week

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 05:41:22 pm »

Wheres that? Loves idyllic
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2020, 07:16:15 pm »

Then a villa on the west coast of France in late July into Aug - going on the ferry and taking the dog  :-\

Did you not want to take the dog or is it the ferry bit putting you off?

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 08:32:21 am »
Wheres that? Loves idyllic

Rothesay?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 08:33:26 am »

starting to rethink the usual hols of a caravan in Blacon (just in a random street, in autumn)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2020, 08:47:08 am »
Went in April last year. Beautiful weather. just absolutely perfect. Walked the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and easily my most favourite experience ever. Whereabouts in NZ are you going?

Missed this, sorry.

Current plan is something along the lines of:

North Island:

Coromandel, Mt Tangaunui (as a base), Rotarua, Waitomo Caves

South Island:

Queenstown, Te Anau (as a base for Milford and Doubtful Sounds), one of the glaciers (Fox or FJ), a stop over en route to Kaikoura, Kaikoura, Blenheim.

Then fly back to Auckland and have a day there before flying home.

Any recommendations to add to the list?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2020, 12:58:05 pm »
Did you not want to take the dog or is it the ferry bit putting you off?

Apart from a week in a lodge in the Dales last summer, this is the first time we'll have taken her away. Long drive down to Portsmouth, overnight crossing (but we've booked a cabin you can take dogs into), then another long drive from Le Havre. I'm dreading it, to be honest.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2020, 04:07:24 pm »
Apart from a week in a lodge in the Dales last summer, this is the first time we'll have taken her away. Long drive down to Portsmouth, overnight crossing (but we've booked a cabin you can take dogs into), then another long drive from Le Havre. I'm dreading it, to be honest.

We took ours to Cornwall at the start of the month, we thought it'd be a pain but to be honest just have a look at the services and pick some out that have dog walking areas so you can at least let her stretch her legs. If she's a bit of a nervous dog, you can get calming tablets in pets at home.

Ours does just sleep when you're on the motorway, but we put his bed in with him and he wasn't the slightest bit arsed.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2020, 04:10:39 pm »
 :thumbup

Thanks for the tips. She settles for a bit in the car, but then sits up and looks like she's going to be ill (never has been)

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2020, 08:24:02 pm »
Montenegro is probably the cheapest out of the three, and just as beautiful. If you're going to Montenegro, then Budva is the place to go, but anything the coast is grand.

Croatia, Dubrovnik is great, as is Split,Makarska,Hvar,

Cheers, 👍

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2020, 03:06:52 pm »

No, there's a transition period until December, when everything in the real word will stay the same.

After that, fuck knows with this malevolent bunch of c*nts in government.

Cheers!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2020, 03:15:21 pm »

I wouldn’t dread it, as Claire said it’s just a bit of planning to make sure you get some decent stops where she can stretch her legs. She’ll get bored after a while and just settle down in the car once she realises it’s not all that bad - don’t fret or anything or she’ll pick up on it.

Remember when we took Arnie on a 4 ish hour drive thinking he’d be a pain in the arse. He liked being in the car so that wasn’t the issue, but more the length of time for him (being so big) in a confined space (although he was crate trained so think that helped).

He settled down though and spent most of the time just freaking people out staring out the back window at them  ;D

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2020, 12:52:47 am »
Missed this, sorry.

Current plan is something along the lines of:

North Island:

Coromandel, Mt Tangaunui (as a base), Rotarua, Waitomo Caves

South Island:

Queenstown, Te Anau (as a base for Milford and Doubtful Sounds), one of the glaciers (Fox or FJ), a stop over en route to Kaikoura, Kaikoura, Blenheim.

Then fly back to Auckland and have a day there before flying home.

Any recommendations to add to the list?

Top choices there already.

I've only been to north island, but if you're fit enough recommend the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. It's about 8 hours of trekking up and down a mountain. Personally found the Waitomo Caves a bit underwhelming. The Ohakune cycle trail south of Tongariro is something I've heard friends rave about although i've not been there. Also think Wellington is a charming little city, definitely liked it better than Auckland.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2020, 04:49:30 pm »
Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but has anyone got any tips on the best way to get cheaper flights? I always use sky scanner but seem to hear of people getting ridiculously cheap deals which I never come across. Is it better to book months in advance or closer to take off?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2020, 05:46:11 pm »
Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but has anyone got any tips on the best way to get cheaper flights? I always use sky scanner but seem to hear of people getting ridiculously cheap deals which I never come across. Is it better to book months in advance or closer to take off?

There was an article I read that if I remember right explained that you are on average best booking roughly around half way between when the flights first become bookable and the date of the flight itself. It's all worked out by an algorith and it depends on how well tickets are selling, but they start higher and usually drop a bit before going up again as it gets closer.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2020, 06:21:08 pm »
The ridiculously cheap flights are when Jacks flights post them up.
You can pay them £35 a year and they send you emails a few times a week or you can sign up to an alert a wee for free.

Other than that search yaself everyday.

Being flexible is key.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2020, 08:41:31 am »
Cape Verde for us sometime in November I think. 2 weeks all inclusive, narrowed it down to 3 hotels so far

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2020, 09:31:49 am »

We normally hit EasyJet early in the morning on the day of the sale and get low prices to Tenerife for example. Also found that they can be dirt cheap a few weeks prior to the flight.

We go away 2 weeks Friday and after the stress we've had this month we cannot wait.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2020, 10:47:41 am »
Anyone ever been to Oman?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2020, 10:53:37 am »
Cape Verde for us sometime in November I think. 2 weeks all inclusive, narrowed it down to 3 hotels so far

Which ones? Went a bit ago and loved it, two people have been to same hotel since after my suggestion and they’ve loved it too.