Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 329978 times)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #4360 on: January 5, 2021, 02:01:22 pm »
Congrats mate.

Where are you thinking of settling?  At least you wont be arriving to a smoldering ruin this year!  Last year was a bit rough on that front.

Thanks mate! The visa is state sponsored by SA, so the aim is Adelaide, but it depends primarily on work. What I do (ironically, because they sponsored me) is pretty thin on the ground, having been monitoring job openings there for a little while, so i'm kinda pinning my hopes on being able to take my current job with me. If not then might need to look at Melbourne or Sydney, but they're not my preference for a few reasons.

And that's very true, thankfully! It seems, from a distance anyway, that you've managed the Covid situation far (far!) better than us as well. Seeing friends of mine over there having pretty normal Christmas's, just before we enter another full national lockdown (9 months after the first one), is pretty stark and demoralising.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4361 on: January 6, 2021, 10:05:47 am »
Thanks mate! The visa is state sponsored by SA, so the aim is Adelaide, but it depends primarily on work. What I do (ironically, because they sponsored me) is pretty thin on the ground, having been monitoring job openings there for a little while, so i'm kinda pinning my hopes on being able to take my current job with me. If not then might need to look at Melbourne or Sydney, but they're not my preference for a few reasons.

And that's very true, thankfully! It seems, from a distance anyway, that you've managed the Covid situation far (far!) better than us as well. Seeing friends of mine over there having pretty normal Christmas's, just before we enter another full national lockdown (9 months after the first one), is pretty stark and demoralising.

Congratulations
Get here as soon as you can mate

We’ve just passed our 4 years in Australia now . In May we can apply for citizenship

I don’t know what work you do but Covid has put a different perspective on things .
People in the bigger cities are looking at moving to the smaller or regional cities

Even here in Darwin the influx of people buying properties or renting has shot through the roof. Property values have gone up 9% on average the largest rise in Australia

People are seeing they can work from home so where they live in proximity to their workplace isn’t so vital. Plus places like the Northern Territory we’ve been barely affected by Covid . Other than travel overseas & interstate is or can be restricted we’ve lived normal since June .

There hasn’t been a community transmitted case since then I think

Sydney & Melbourne appear to be the city’s that people are moving from . Will this grow or continue I don’t know

When are looking to make the move
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4362 on: January 6, 2021, 10:58:46 am »

Congratulations
Get here as soon as you can mate

We’ve just passed our 4 years in Australia now . In May we can apply for citizenship

I don’t know what work you do but Covid has put a different perspective on things .
People in the bigger cities are looking at moving to the smaller or regional cities

Even here in Darwin the influx of people buying properties or renting has shot through the roof. Property values have gone up 9% on average the largest rise in Australia

People are seeing they can work from home so where they live in proximity to their workplace isn’t so vital. Plus places like the Northern Territory we’ve been barely affected by Covid . Other than travel overseas & interstate is or can be restricted we’ve lived normal since June .

There hasn’t been a community transmitted case since then I think

Sydney & Melbourne appear to be the city’s that people are moving from . Will this grow or continue I don’t know

When are looking to make the move

Hi mate.

Great news on the upcoming four year mark, I take it you'll be getting the citizenship application in as soon as you can?

My recent (last five years) experience is as a Customer Success Manager (various guises and roles within tech support prior to that - which is what I was sponsored based on), and my entire professional background is within SaaS (Software as a Service). From the outside it seems very much as though the big tech companies are based in Sydney and Melbourne, and certainly the job openings (I've been tracking both of them, plus Adelaide and Perth) would back that up massively (very little comes up in either Adelaide or Perth). As you say though, most are currently listed as remote working but the question is around what the intention for companies is longer term or whether this trend is a means to an end right now. I've seen a few ads which state that the remote element is temporary due to the current situation, for instance, and it would be office based thereafter. I can completely understand why there are large numbers looking to get away from the major cities though, probably the same reasons I'm not particularly keen on heading to either. As it happens my current role is 100% remote and was prior to COVID. I wouldn't want to go back to a commute into a city if I could help it, COVID or no COVID.

That's an interesting point that you make around property values going up though. We looked into buying somewhere in advance 18 months or so ago but never got anywhere with it, and i'm wondering if that may have been a mistake in hindsight.

One of the reasons we delayed the move was because my wife was pregnant, and then of course we subsequently needed visas for them. They got those through in December, meaning they need to validate those within 12 months, so we have until the coming December to do that. With that in mind the current plan is to make the move end of UK summer, probably September. That gives us time to get the amount that we'd like set aside to cover us for a reasonable period in the event that I can't take my job and we go over there without any income, plus tying up what needs tying up. Right now I'm just crossing everything that my company are open to me transferring to a different region, which I'm confident that they are (they have a significant presence (including on my team) in APAC already), but the question is more around legal ability to employ staff in Australia specifically, which they don't currently do. Going with the job would make things infinitely easier for us anyway.

If they told me tomorrow that I could transfer, I'd be booking our flights for as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2021, 11:02:57 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4363 on: January 12, 2021, 06:24:23 am »
Nice.

Definitely Melbourne & Sydney have a greater tech/business presence than the other capitals, but it also depends on the industry.  Perth was a boom town for a long time with the mines powering it but it's slowed for sure.   As Paul said - you come at a strange time for that.  A lot of people investigating a sea/tree change with the possibility of more remote or flexible working conditions.  Been thinking that way myself actually.

We've had some minor outbreaks of community spread over the last few weeks on the east coast but pretty negligible compared to whats been happening over there.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4364 on: January 13, 2021, 03:34:39 pm »
Nice.

Definitely Melbourne & Sydney have a greater tech/business presence than the other capitals, but it also depends on the industry.  Perth was a boom town for a long time with the mines powering it but it's slowed for sure.   As Paul said - you come at a strange time for that.  A lot of people investigating a sea/tree change with the possibility of more remote or flexible working conditions.  Been thinking that way myself actually.

We've had some minor outbreaks of community spread over the last few weeks on the east coast but pretty negligible compared to whats been happening over there.

Yeah I lived in Perth for a year around 2012/13, and it was definitely booming at that point. Went back a couple of years ago and it looked to have slowed down quite considerably.

But to your point, there is definitely some tech organisations there - and in Adelaide - but it then becomes a question of the roles they're looking for, and mine doesn't appear to be on their lists right now. Sydney and Melbourne very different. If I can either take my job with me (the ideal), or find somewhere that is fully remote, then the location becomes immaterial. I'm kinda dreading the scenario where neither of those comes to pass and we need to look at the two bigger cities and the various additional considerations that they introduce (not least affordability).

On the COVID front, it certainly seems from the outside that you guys have been far more militant in stamping it out than we have here. Our approach has been to try and live with it in order to not impact business where possible, basically, and it's frankly been a muddled disaster culminating in the worst of all worlds. Hopefully it continues to be relatively stable for you guys there anyway.
Twitter | Blog

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4365 on: January 14, 2021, 03:19:00 pm »
On the COVID front, it certainly seems from the outside that you guys have been far more militant in stamping it out than we have here. Our approach has been to try and live with it in order to not impact business where possible, basically, and it's frankly been a muddled disaster culminating in the worst of all worlds. Hopefully it continues to be relatively stable for you guys there anyway.

Definitely there has been better government management but also I think a fair helping luck too. 

I'm kinda dreading the scenario where neither of those comes to pass and we need to look at the two bigger cities and the various additional considerations that they introduce (not least affordability).

Not sure how long it will last but one thing at least on that front is that Sydney rental prices have dropped considerably.  I moved a couple of months ago and managed to find a comparable apartment (same building, slightly nicer but no view) with a 25% drop in rent.  Didn't see anything else quite that dramatic when I looked but most definitely everything was down probably 10+% across the board.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:21:08 pm by leroy »

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #4366 on: January 23, 2021, 03:55:27 pm »
Just a quick one if somebody is will to drop me a DM.

Have no idea where to start on what Visa to even look at. Where do I start?

The Mrs is the brains with the degree and I'll be the tag along. I've got some distance relatives in Adelaide who we will be seeing on holiday at the end of the year. I've been before about 10 years ago but the Mrs hasn't so I'm hoping she falls in love with the place like I did.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4367 on: January 24, 2021, 12:11:42 pm »
Dunno what you're other half does mate but there is a special "Covid recovery" occupation list that is getting priority over all other skilled visa applcaitions at the moment.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/employing-and-sponsoring-someone/sponsoring-workers/pmsol

The 18 occupations (ANZSCO code) are:

Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
    Construction Project Manager (133111)
    Mechanical Engineer (233512)
    General Practitioner (253111)
    Resident Medical Officer (253112)
    Psychiatrist (253411)
    Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
    Midwife (254111)
    Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
    Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
    Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
    Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
    Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
    Registered Nurses nec (254499)
    Developer Programmer (261312)
    Software Engineer (261313)
    Social Worker (272511)
    Maintenance Planner (312911)

The general list still applies but just gets prioritised behind the covid recovery one - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list

The basic process is available on some of the Aus gov websites.  This is the Victorian version - https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/migration-process/how-to-migrate-to-australia
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:13:30 pm by leroy »

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #4368 on: January 25, 2021, 03:32:49 pm »
Dunno what you're other half does mate but there is a special "Covid recovery" occupation list that is getting priority over all other skilled visa applcaitions at the moment.

The general list still applies but just gets prioritised behind the covid recovery one - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list

The basic process is available on some of the Aus gov websites.  This is the Victorian version - https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/migration-process/how-to-migrate-to-australia

I'm not really to sure what she does either  :P

She works for a private care company dealing with people with mental health and disabilities. She's in a good management role currently and a degree which I'm hoping will be enough to transfer over. I know when she had a quick look there was no like for like jobs so she needs to get in contact with people over there.

Thanks for all the links. I'll have a good look through them

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #4369 on: January 26, 2021, 04:27:52 pm »
So after having a good look over the past few days we have found her current role over there in the end. Mental health practitioner is the role they call it over there. We'll hopefully speak to a migration agent at some point and see if it is possible to sort a Visa from that

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4370 on: January 27, 2021, 08:18:00 am »
If she's a health professional I'd think it'd be on a list there somewhere mate.  Good luck!

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4371 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:45 am »
So after having a good look over the past few days we have found her current role over there in the end. Mental health practitioner is the role they call it over there. We'll hopefully speak to a migration agent at some point and see if it is possible to sort a Visa from that

Most forms of health , nurse or care professionals if you’ve got the experience & qualifications your normally required anywhere

Just bare in mind regarding the points you might need is your age

I don’t know how old you are but 44 is the cut off point generally to when your points go down and a bit more of a struggle if your over 44 . If time is against you move quickly get the ball rolling. Technically I think if you get your application as such finally in by the time your 44 & 364 days old your ok

To prepare start getting certain documentation together.
You’ll possibly need P60’s for last 3 years. Get wage slips for last 3 years together. Any qualifications & certificates together. Any financial assets you have get the documents. What you own plus include any pensions you have get the current value it will go towards your financial assets. We did and was a life saver as can be worth a good amount

Get references from your work about your character
The migration agent will tell you when you need to get a police check as it’s only valid for a year
You can get all your medical records from your doctor
A medical again will come in time and when required
Get your birth certificate  marriage & divorce information ( if done )

If you’ve been to Australia before right down all the dates you visited
Plus you’ll need to know any countries you’ve visited in the last 10 years

There is a Form 80 that need filling in eventually you will basically have to document your life back to when you started school.
You’ll need all dates for your previous schools, jobs , any gaps etc . Plus last 10 years of addresses

Definitely get in contact with a migration agent
We used GoMathilda and they have been superb for us
Got us our visa to get out and then our permanent residency

They have offices in UK & Australia

We know people here who’ve been stung for thousands of pound by fake agents so be careful

Also don’t just look at Sydney ( New South Wales ) & Melbourne ( Victoria) ensure you look at all the state’s & territories.

With the usual states & cities you’ve more competition. Somewhere like Northern Territory ( I live in Darwin) less people apply and within the health & medical fields always always jobs & good pay
The potential in the Northern Territory to progress quickly in a career is easier here again less competition than the large cities. It’s not hard to shine at work Darwin as by English standards the workforce here are sicknotes & lazy lol

That’s just some of what I can remember
Hope it helps
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #4372 on: January 27, 2021, 04:51:15 pm »
Thanks for all that info Paul. We're early 30's so a few years on our side currently. Got a lot of thinking and sorting to do over the next 12 months

Hopefully looking south of the country as I couldn't deal with 40c heat most of the time.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4373 on: January 28, 2021, 12:33:18 am »
Thanks for all that info Paul. We're early 30's so a few years on our side currently. Got a lot of thinking and sorting to do over the next 12 months

Hopefully looking south of the country as I couldn't deal with 40c heat most of the time.

That's where you want to be careful mate.  Melbourne & Adelaide can be hotter than Sydney & Brisbane!

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4374 on: January 28, 2021, 12:46:36 am »
That's where you want to be careful mate.  Melbourne & Adelaide can be hotter than Sydney & Brisbane!

Great point. Was going to say consider property prices seriously if location is flexible to you. Sydney and Melbourne are practically unaffordable unless you already have 200-300k saved up and are on 200k+ a year combined between you and your partner. The tier 2 cities in the popular states are great places too. Wollongong, Newcastle, Central Coast in NSW. Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong in VIC. Perth is very affordable, property prices have taken a beating over the last decade (although bouncing back now) but further away from everywhere else. Brisbane is probably the best large city in terms of everything - weather (debateable to some haha), jobs, cost of living, access to other parts of the country, quality of life with access to the bush and beaches.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4375 on: January 28, 2021, 02:55:24 am »

I understand but it’s actually the south that gets 40 plus degrees more often

The hot cities like Darwin & Cairns are generally around 28-35 at most.

Adelaide & Perth get the 35 plus degrees. As can Sydney, Melbourne

Brisbane is probably the best weather warm average 26-33 but also decent winter can be 15-20 or so which is nice

But the east coast gets smashed the most by severe weather such as cyclones, monsoons & storms with flooding
etc

At least every two years somewhere along that east coast from Gold Coast to Cairns gets some  sort of severe weather incident

There’s a lot to think about . All I would say is don’t discard the smaller cities like Cairns, Townsville, Darwin, Newcastle, Hobart, Geelong . They can often offer a great Aussie relaxed lifestyle and you can visit the big cities generally easily ( Ignore Covid period).

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4376 on: January 28, 2021, 04:05:30 am »

As Paul said the southern states get hotter but they also get colder in winter, the further North you go the less the extremes get.
If you're in healthcare you won't need to live in the big cities, you could go to the regional centers or smaller coastal towns and benefit from cheaper properties and a more relaxed lifestyle.
I suppose it depends on what you want, if you're party animals then Sydney/Melbourne is where it's at but if you've outgrown all that then they're just like any big cities all over the world with better weather and bigger spiders.

Offline mainstream_shambles

• Boys Pen
« Reply #4377 on: January 28, 2021, 07:15:17 am »
I don't know why people keep saying Sydney and Melbourne are not affordable? It is expensive but there are still a fair few suburbs where 500k houses are possible on a train line under 1 hour to the city.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4378 on: March 15, 2021, 11:40:40 pm »
Alright, ladies and gents. After nearly 4 years in Adelaide, I'm now moving to Sydney in the next few weeks. I managed to secure an incredible job; so pretty stoked, to say the least. Hope everyone is doing well around these parts.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4379 on: March 16, 2021, 09:13:51 am »
Alright, ladies and gents. After nearly 4 years in Adelaide, I'm now moving to Sydney in the next few weeks. I managed to secure an incredible job; so pretty stoked, to say the least. Hope everyone is doing well around these parts.

Nice one mate, sounds like an exciting time  :wave

As a bit of an update on our side, I've been speaking to my work about moving over there since late last year and had it confirmed in the last few weeks that they're absolutely fine with me keeping my job when we do that, which will really take the pressure off financially, and opens up more options in terms of where we can look to plant ourselves.

Naturally, still quite a bit to get done (getting our house set up and listed for rent, arranging removals/freight, etc) but overall looking forward now to a summer where the UK (hopefully) isn't in lockdown, and then getting ourselves packed up and over there for spring.
Twitter | Blog

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4380 on: March 16, 2021, 09:29:55 pm »
There's more Reds in Sydney and Melbourne than there is in Liverpool!
We are Liverpool!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4381 on: March 17, 2021, 08:25:59 am »
There's more Reds in Sydney and Melbourne than there is in Liverpool!

This is close to the truth, loved the atmosphere of watching a game in a packed pub in the early hours of a Sunday, felt as close to outside Anfield as you could get. We filled the MCG when I was there too, there are reds far and wide.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #4382 on: March 22, 2021, 10:29:21 pm »
The scale of it looks horrific, hope all the Aussies on here and families are all ok. What will it take for this to end?  Heavy rainfall presumably and I guess there’s none in sight? I read that thunderstorms are generating from the smoke clouds is that right? Crazy stuff.
its finally arrived, only 15 months too late..
this is the bridge recently completed built to avoid the floods....
6 days of none stop rain, over 400mm recorded  in  and around me {Penrith area}  Madness here at the minute
JFT 96

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4383 on: March 23, 2021, 12:09:52 am »
its finally arrived, only 15 months too late..
this is the bridge recently completed built to avoid the floods....
6 days of none stop rain, over 400mm recorded  in  and around me {Penrith area}  Madness here at the minute

Bloody hell, stay safe mate.
We are Liverpool!

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4384 on: March 27, 2021, 11:59:04 am »
This is close to the truth, loved the atmosphere of watching a game in a packed pub in the early hours of a Sunday, felt as close to outside Anfield as you could get. We filled the MCG when I was there too, there are reds far and wide.
I've never been more proud to be a Red than that night.
When I started supporting Liverpool we had just come out of the 2nd division but that night showed what a global powerhouse we have become.
95,000 packed into the MCG(about 3000 melbourne victory fans) - from Asia, Interstate, Australian and ex-pats.
The sheer pent up frustration and passion was tangible all day(inexplicably we'd never come to OZ before even though our support has always been massive here). Fans were queuing up for 5  blocks to buy merchandise and we were singing and drinking all day in Federation Square without any hint of trouble.
 I've participated in some great YNWA's at Anfield but I knew that one before the game was special - I was next to the Melbourne Victory area and I couldn't hear myself singing and I could see the scarves up all round the rest of the ground - I remember thinking that if where I was was replicated around the ground it would be an incredible rendition(I saw it later and it was).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-jJlGd1so

Offline MakeUsDream2005

• Kopite
  • We are Liverpool tra la la la la!
« Reply #4385 on: April 3, 2021, 04:19:02 pm »
Hi RAWK Aussies,

I hope you're all doing well down there.

I've been reading about a travel agreement between Australia and Singapore from July, and it's got me wondering when it might be possible to gain entry to Australia with a working holiday visa from the UK. I fully appreciate that this may be some time off, and there will be plenty of conditions to entry - including mandatory quarantine on arrival and most likely full vaccination. But with the UK making some good ground on the vaccination programme, what do you think the likelihood of this being allowed before the end of the year would be?

Cheers  :)

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4386 on: April 4, 2021, 01:05:01 pm »
Hi RAWK Aussies,

I hope you're all doing well down there.

I've been reading about a travel agreement between Australia and Singapore from July, and it's got me wondering when it might be possible to gain entry to Australia with a working holiday visa from the UK. I fully appreciate that this may be some time off, and there will be plenty of conditions to entry - including mandatory quarantine on arrival and most likely full vaccination. But with the UK making some good ground on the vaccination programme, what do you think the likelihood of this being allowed before the end of the year would be?

Cheers  :)

Hi mate,

It’s an impossible question to answer really

The vaccine rollout is pretty slow here at the moment even though Covid is practically non existent.

There is approximately 30-40,000 Australian citizens still waiting to fly back to Australia & I read yesterday one couple who was on holiday in the UK when Covid hit & has taken them a year to get back to Australia

A bit of controversy here is the amount of sports stars & Hollywood celebrities that have come to Australia in recent months basically jumping the que ahead of Australian citizens is pissing some people off . Money talks

A mate of mine Australian is married to an English girl they’ve not seen each other for a year she’s stuck in UK & is currently only a permanent resident. They booked a one way flight $12,000 on Emirates. She has already been bumped off once so had to rebook

My point is to much up in the air at the moment to answer & international borders are closed here unless a valid exemption or as above money & celebrity talks

October I’ve heard is the earliest for the borders to open & as a tourist your way down the list at the moment

So in other words no idea  ;D  :wave
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4387 on: April 4, 2021, 01:11:51 pm »
Think i read the same article as you, was 'amazed' that citizens were struggling to get back home but actors making a film were welcomed in so to speak.
Its not looking good for tourism, i've already consigned myself to not seeing my sister etc for another year , and another bloody winter here  :no

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4388 on: April 6, 2021, 10:58:13 am »

Hi mate,

It’s an impossible question to answer really

The vaccine rollout is pretty slow here at the moment even though Covid is practically non existent.

There is approximately 30-40,000 Australian citizens still waiting to fly back to Australia & I read yesterday one couple who was on holiday in the UK when Covid hit & has taken them a year to get back to Australia

A bit of controversy here is the amount of sports stars & Hollywood celebrities that have come to Australia in recent months basically jumping the que ahead of Australian citizens is pissing some people off . Money talks

A mate of mine Australian is married to an English girl they’ve not seen each other for a year she’s stuck in UK & is currently only a permanent resident. They booked a one way flight $12,000 on Emirates. She has already been bumped off once so had to rebook

My point is to much up in the air at the moment to answer & international borders are closed here unless a valid exemption or as above money & celebrity talks

October I’ve heard is the earliest for the borders to open & as a tourist your way down the list at the moment

So in other words no idea  ;D  :wave

This has me concerned.

My wife and I (and the kids) are all permanent residents, and as things stand the border restrictions for Australia stipulate that you can only enter if you are either; (a) a citizen, or (b); a permanent resident, and on that basis my assumption was that we would be fine. The question I had moreso was around the flights and making sure that they actually went ahead as scheduled and weren't cancelled for any reason. We have a flight booked with Qatar Airways (London-Doha-Perth) in September, which is heavily restricted in terms of numbers (to 30 passengers, I believe, which is hopefully also in line with the caps on available quarantine places). Because the kids were granted their visas in December 2020, we have to have them enter the country before the same date this year. Missing that date should we find ourselves being bumped would cause headaches I could very much do without.

I hadn't read (or heard) about huge numbers of citizens/PRs all struggling to get back for that amount of time though (albeit if you think about it, it does make *some* sense given the heaps of wider context). I presume this was due to flights being grounded altogether for a significant portion of 2020, and/or potentially other additional factors as well (where they were coming from, or transiting via, being a 'red zone' at the time), or simply the heavily restricted number of seats/quarantine spots available, etc.

Either way, i'm crossing fingers that we don't run into the same kinds of issues come September.

As an aside, on the tourist visa point, I think there's absolutely no chance of that happening this year. None. I'd be absolutely stunned if there was any tourism into Australia in 2021. How the vaccine rollout goes in a worldwide sense, and how the COVID situation evolves alongside that, particularly once we arrive at the next winter, will be watched extremely carefully i'd imagine. As a country Australia have been uber cautious (and many would argue it's paid off for them), there's no way that'll shift now.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2021, 11:56:42 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4389 on: April 6, 2021, 07:55:17 pm »
As a country Australia have been uber cautious (and many would argue it's paid off for them), there's no way that'll shift now.

Would of thought given circumstances you would be given leeway on activating your kids visa,, but then it is Aussie immigration so who knows, but good luck.
Yes, they've been ultra cautious, but apart from the occasional curfew etc lives pretty much back to normal over there (Perth) , not that i'm jealous ,,, much,, but i get loads of pics of people over there out in pubs and restaurants etc GGGRRR :D

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4390 on: April 7, 2021, 02:40:34 am »
This has me concerned.

My wife and I (and the kids) are all permanent residents, and as things stand the border restrictions for Australia stipulate that you can only enter if you are either; (a) a citizen, or (b); a permanent resident, and on that basis my assumption was that we would be fine. The question I had moreso was around the flights and making sure that they actually went ahead as scheduled and weren't cancelled for any reason. We have a flight booked with Qatar Airways (London-Doha-Perth) in September, which is heavily restricted in terms of numbers (to 30 passengers, I believe, which is hopefully also in line with the caps on available quarantine places). Because the kids were granted their visas in December 2020, we have to have them enter the country before the same date this year. Missing that date should we find ourselves being bumped would cause headaches I could very much do without.

I hadn't read (or heard) about huge numbers of citizens/PRs all struggling to get back for that amount of time though (albeit if you think about it, it does make *some* sense given the heaps of wider context). I presume this was due to flights being grounded altogether for a significant portion of 2020, and/or potentially other additional factors as well (where they were coming from, or transiting via, being a 'red zone' at the time), or simply the heavily restricted number of seats/quarantine spots available, etc.

Either way, i'm crossing fingers that we don't run into the same kinds of issues come September.

As an aside, on the tourist visa point, I think there's absolutely no chance of that happening this year. None. I'd be absolutely stunned if there was any tourism into Australia in 2021. How the vaccine rollout goes in a worldwide sense, and how the COVID situation evolves alongside that, particularly once we arrive at the next winter, will be watched extremely carefully i'd imagine. As a country Australia have been uber cautious (and many would argue it's paid off for them), there's no way that'll shift now.

Definitely see your concerns

Due to the unforeseen circumstances ( Covid) and with the Australian borders closed with a slow trickle of people getting in surely you have claim to a hold or some sort of temporary solution to having to get into the country by a certain date to activate your PR .

I’m not sure but have you contacted Australian immigration or your migration agent?

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4391 on: April 7, 2021, 02:48:03 am »
Another thing to consider when you move here

Due to Covid currently House , Renting & Car prices are going through the roof . To add second hand car prices here are ridiculous so expensive in England same car would be half the price

Various reasons but some are people can now see they can move away from the cities & still work from home but another is with so many Australians moving back home they need to buy things such as a House or Rent plus car(s) and this is sending prices up & creating shortfalls

A small example when we rented our house nearly 3 years ago we were the only people that turned up to view it . One rental property here last week had 22 applications sight unseen they’d not even viewed it

This is in Darwin now Perth is even worse as it’s a much bigger population & as it was so successful with Covid it has proved very popular with people moving to Perth over the last 6 months or so

Prices going crazy & property to buy or rent minimal
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4392 on: April 7, 2021, 06:28:17 am »

Mate the border between NZ & Aus is opening in two weeks.  Obviously that's a slightly unique relationship given our reciprocal residency rights but I would not be surprised to see countries added to the "bubble" over the next few months who have similar COVID case loads or lack there-of.

Quite possible we'll end up with a scenario like we've had between states in Aus.

It's been pretty visible down here and the Federal Government has done exactly dick about it. 

Politicians, the wealthy, athletes, celebrities, and co don't seem to have any trouble getting in but citizens cant.  Heaps of people repeatedly bumped from flights with late notice.  Fuck we event sent an ex-senator galavanting around the world in an RAAF VIP jet lobying to be the secretary-general of the OECD.  It's pretty disgraceful to be honest.

Fingers crossed it's different by the time you're trying to get out here but who knows man.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2021, 06:31:29 am by leroy »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4393 on: April 7, 2021, 02:15:01 pm »
Definitely see your concerns

Due to the unforeseen circumstances (Covid) and with the Australian borders closed with a slow trickle of people getting in surely you have claim to a hold or some sort of temporary solution to having to get into the country by a certain date to activate your PR .

I’m not sure but have you contacted Australian immigration or your migration agent?

I did talk about this with our migration agent a while back, when we were still waiting for any movement on the kids' visa applications and wondering what our options were in the eventuality that we didn't get them before our own deadline arrived. She said the same thing that you have there, essentially, that we would need to apply for an extension based on the specific circumstances, and given the unique nature, it was hard to foresee a problem. Making any assumptions on this makes me very nervous though, especially given the time and money we've invested in this so far, and how close we've got to finally making the move. I'm going to have a fresh chat with them again anyway, just to double check if there are any other things we can/should be doing.

It would make a tonne of sense to me if you were made to confirm your quarantine hotel prior to booking flights. At least that way you would have some certainty, rather than it being up in the air as to whether there will be space available at the time, leaving you open to being bumped, and potentially repeatedly.

Another thing to consider when you move here

Due to Covid currently House , Renting & Car prices are going through the roof . To add second hand car prices here are ridiculous so expensive in England same car would be half the price

Various reasons but some are people can now see they can move away from the cities & still work from home but another is with so many Australians moving back home they need to buy things such as a House or Rent plus car(s) and this is sending prices up & creating shortfalls

A small example when we rented our house nearly 3 years ago we were the only people that turned up to view it . One rental property here last week had 22 applications sight unseen they’d not even viewed it

This is in Darwin now Perth is even worse as it’s a much bigger population & as it was so successful with Covid it has proved very popular with people moving to Perth over the last 6 months or so

Prices going crazy & property to buy or rent minimal

Yeah, I recall you saying similar earlier in the thread and it prompted me to start keeping a closer eye on property listings over there.

Just looking on here:

https://www.farmweekly.com.au/story/7183796/all-eyes-are-on-perth-market-for-2021/#:~:text=REIWA%20data%20showed%20that%20Perth's%20median%20house%20price%20in%20February%20was%20%24490%2C000.

It backs up your point, and interesting to note that Darwin looks to be leading the way in property value increase over the 12 months prior to February 2021, at +13.8%. Canberra (+9.7%), Hobart (+8.7%) and Adelaide (+7.3%) the next three in the list. Perth was +4.6% over the same period. Sydney was +2.3%, whilst Melbourne saw a decrease at -1.3%.

This article also mentions that property listings for Perth have fallen by 36.5% over that 12 months, which feels like a pretty staggering number.

That all said, there still seems to be some pretty good value there to me if you spend the time. Obviously it's area dependent, as with any major city, but what I would say is that for the price of our current house (3 bed semi) in the UK, it looks possible to get far more for that money (which probably says something about UK property prices as well).

Rental was pretty expensive when I was there 8 or 9 years ago as well, albeit that was largely down to the mining boom at the time sending prices through the roof. I remember having a conversation with one landlord after I saw his listing and called, mistakenly believing the price he'd highlighted was for the entire property, when it turned it that was per room. He literally told me that he knew that it was scandalous, but he also knew that someone would pay it. Impossible to argue with that, really, as depressing as it is. Looks not quite at that level at the moment, but still pretty high. I'm going to continue keeping an eye on it anyway, but I actually still feel relatively positive about the property market side of things, so hopefully the current situation doesn't accelerate further and change the landscape significantly.

Mate the border between NZ & Aus is opening in two weeks.  Obviously that's a slightly unique relationship given our reciprocal residency rights but I would not be surprised to see countries added to the "bubble" over the next few months who have similar COVID case loads or lack there-of.

Yeah, I could see the potential for that as well, but I still think it'll be extremely cautious forward nudges on this front. There's no way that Europe (including the UK) is being touched with a barge pole any time soon.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2021, 02:56:45 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4394 on: May 10, 2021, 11:24:13 am »
It's really weird. All summer holidays (Late November until Feb), I reckon I watched 1 game max of us. Then came the news of Torres handing in his transfer request and suddenly became hooked. Couldn't stop searching 'Liverpool' or 'Torres' into google news search trying to find every bit of news about us.

Missed a couple of games since. Fucked up my sleeping patterns watching both Chelsea and Man U games, but both were worth it. Once year 12 is over I wanna knuckle down and learn the finer points. I understand basics of football but not all of it. So I can never get involved in tactics and team talk as I'm still learning. I even learnt that even Aussie Reds fans hate Tim Cahill. I was shocked.

I've decided for the rest of the year that I'll only get up for matches if it's a Saturday night or it's a blockbuster match (Man U, Everton, Europa final etc.)

Bombers by day, Reds by night. It's gonna be awesome once school is over.

English
Methods
Further
Bus Man
Legal

Already regretting doing Methods. Hard as all hell. If I get a 25 I'd be happy.

Love looking back at posts from 10 years ago and seeing how much things have changed. I would've seen 99% of games since the the end of 2011, and even lived in the city for a year.

The less said about the Bombers and Year 12 the better, though.  ;D

Has anyone been to the supporters clubs since lockdown? Really miss going to the Impy for big games.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4395 on: June 3, 2021, 01:25:07 am »
Took & passed the Australian citizenship test today 😎

One step nearer just the checks they do & wait for the citizenship ceremony date 👍👍
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4396 on: June 3, 2021, 06:58:31 am »

One step nearer just the checks they do & wait for the citizenship ceremony date 👍👍

When's the lobotomy booked in?

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4397 on: June 3, 2021, 10:20:57 am »
When's the lobotomy booked in?

😂😂

To late already been done , thankfully test was easy
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4398 on: June 3, 2021, 10:28:22 am »

My deepest condolences.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4399 on: June 3, 2021, 10:36:18 am »
My deepest condolences.

If become a bad loser at sports, actually in fact a bad winner as well then I know I’ve cracked it

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now