Author Topic: RAWK Round Table Liverpool 4-0 Everton  (Read 6363 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table Liverpool 4-0 Everton
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:22:26 am »
Well, that was nice wasn't it.

At times in the first half I wondered if they would sneak a goal and we'd be frustrated and then I remembered we don't do that as much anymore and then bang two goals in two minutes, the sort of goals we give away for free with our defence.

It should've been 8-0 and I imagine Lallana has been forgiven for his woeful chance in the first half when clean through but apart from that, I can't think of a better team for that to happen to, apart from Utd and anyone we're playing next.

Question 1: Is Sturridge and Coutinho bessie mates or not? Him trying to claim Philip's goal and a few times after that where they ignored each other with simple passes made me wonder if Daniel's innate selfishness (that all good strikers seem to have) rubs the wrong way against Coutinho.

Question 2: Have we seen the start of Lovren (finally and happily) and the end of Skrtel (finally and sadly)

Question 3: Is Joe Allen becoming a semi super sub now?

Yep.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table Liverpool 4-0 Everton
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:43:40 pm »
1: Phil seemed to laugh the claim off rather than responded with bewilderment at the audacity, so there’s deffo a comradery there.

2: I never thought Lovren was as bad as some claimed, but there’s an unequivocal step up of improvement that’s making him and us appreciate his game far more.

3: Joe Allen is close to player of the season for me. His run isn’t just since he returned from injury, he put a couple of shifts in before that. Since his return he done more than has been asked or expected – he’s completed our team every time he’s featured – never a weak link.

When asked about this remarkable 4-0 defeat in future, the Everton players will surely be compelled to tell their grandkids they only participated in a small proportion of the game. To state otherwise would be misleading.

Everton stuck their chests out for 20 minutes without looking intimidating whatsoever, then slowly their efforts subdued, they ran out of ideas and a tangible disheartenment enveloped Bobby’s Blues as Liverpool’s dominance prevailed.

Liverpool attacked Everton towards the Kop end for the first 45 with steady pressure. Everton sat with little pressing giving us ample space to move the ball along the lines to try to penetrate them. The question was always when even if the how appeared difficult, especially as Robles had denied us twice with 2 good saves using his legs.

Our opener was well deserved, indeed if the timing of the first goal was opportune, the timing of the second was the game killer. Going in 2 nil up against an Everton side devoid of intent gave for comfortable half-time musings with the win never in doubt.

Having a man sent off so early in to the 2nd half following a horrendous tackle on Origi left the enervated opponents with no doubt that containment was key. Twice they tried to pump a ball to Lukaku who headed it on to his invisible partner – perhaps he knew the it was just safer not to have it anywhere near their defence.

Liverpool were brilliant. The overall performances of Lucas, Milner and Allen were at a level that ensured we didn’t miss either our current or previous captain. To even point out how wonderful Lovren was suggests Everton may have threatened, but they didn’t apart from one shot over the bar. It was a case of every time they tried to diminish our threat by launching it forward or to attempt any sort of counter it was immediately snuffed by Lovren with a couple of superb tackles and well-read headers. Everton were nullified and beaten at both ends of the pitch.

The nullification was applied by concerted energy displayed diligently by Klopp’s men to the sarcastic cheers from all corners of the stadium. It was a night to take the piss on a grand scale.

All four goals were well crafted individual goals not reliant on any grave error, that’s a credit to the lads and their hard work & efforts and the reading of the game. That was a different Liverpool performance to what we experiences in 2015.

Coming home and seeing the gif of Klopp enjoying a Lucas miss-hit capped a wonderful evening of football

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:28:43 pm »
Question 2: Have we seen the start of Lovren (finally and happily) and the end of Skrtel (finally and sadly)

Just on this, I think Skrtel gets blamed an awful lot and isn't half as terrible a player as is made out but I do kind of agree about his tenure here as a first teamer looking likely to end. Lovren didn't have the best start to his career here, to put it mildly but does to me (with my .01% of footballing knowledge) look like the type of player Klopp would favour over Skrtel and with Matip coming in, it's going to be even tougher for all our defenders to stake a claim for a first team spot. On one hand, Skrtel's generally been a good player for us over the past eight or so years but on the other and more important, Lovren and Sakho (and Matip) are younger and look to be better equipped to be part of a successful side over the coming years. They seem to get on famously too, if their post match celebrations against Dortmund are anything to go by and last night, particularly during the second half, they must have been planning how they'd deal with Newcastle on Saturday which is definitely going to be tougher than the examination they got against Everton. I doubt they'll have played in an easier match than the one yesterday.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:26 pm »
Skrtel.....

I can't really criticise him for anything....

Our whole game has changed...

We are scoring from set pieces, we are scoring from headers.... We are scoring lots of goals....

All these come from a systematic change of mindset....  Players don't talk about taking responsibility any more.... They just take responsibility....

We are more courageous, we work harder and we work as a team...

To talk of writing off one player?  I can't see it... The team is everything, and it's great
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »
This is a different teams. It really feels like a team..... Goal threats come from everywhere, Sakho is scoring Lovern is also a threat from headers, and its almost like Klopp has Milner practising crosses every session. He puts them in exactly  the same place against Dortmund and Everton and we score from both. Same with Coutinho's shots as well.

There are more threats from the team now,despite who we have injured and on loan. We can almost field another team from those who are injured and on loan and this can't be a bad thing,

and Skrtel, he may be a good defender, but unfortunately, he excels in a different system from the one Klopp employs.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:05:13 pm »
How to put this game in context?

A Villa fan was taking the piss out of the Blues in work today.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 12:16:28 am »
How can you analyse a game when one team rolled over and gave up? I have rarely seen such a one-sided game.

I could be extremely harsh and say that we were very wasteful. It sounds bad when you score 4 but really it should have been 8. At one stage we toyed with them and forgot about trying to score; it was oh so easy.

The whole team and subs are starting to play like a team now.

As for Skrtel.......far too many people seem to write off players as if they won't improve. We had this with Lucas, Henderson, Lovern, Milner and Mignolet. All of these players were written off and all have worked hard to regain form. Skrtel may do the same when given a chance. Klopp may weave his magic with Skrtel yet so don't be so sure that he won't get back to his best.

We have a great squad who are led by a great manager. Everton on the other hand are rather poor and directionless. We made a solid team look rubbish and to be positive that bodes well for the future.
#JFT97

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:59:44 am »
It should've been 8-0 and I imagine Lallana has been forgiven for his woeful chance in the first half when clean through but apart from that, I can't think of a better team for that to happen to, apart from Utd and anyone we're playing next.

A few more goals and breaking the record for a derby would have been nice and on balance would have probably been more representative of how one-sided this match was.

As for Skrtel.......far too many people seem to write off players as if they won't improve. We had this with Lucas, Henderson, Lovern, Milner and Mignolet. All of these players were written off and all have worked hard to regain form. Skrtel may do the same when given a chance. Klopp may weave his magic with Skrtel yet so don't be so sure that he won't get back to his best.

As much as he offers in a side that plays to his strengths, he looks a liability if the entire defence isn't setup right for him and I don't think that Klopp has enough magic to change that.

His best bet would probably be to move to a club that defended in a manner that suited him as he could readily start for a few more seasons in that scenario, whereas he'd almost certainly be a sub at best if he stayed with us.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:04:02 am by Skeeve »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:08:46 am »
How to put this game in context?

A Villa fan was taking the piss out of the Blues in work today.

I couldn't bring myself to give blues grief today, it was like poking a depressed mouse. I have never really seen a game like it, the 10 men stuff is nonsene, we had 10 against Palace, away from home and dominate and came back from 1 down to win. Don't even think LFC played that well really, it was like playing against 10 dustbins at times. Something really badly wrong there so all in all, with Origi injured and the feeling it was them being bad not us being great took a bit of shine of it. Also knowing that is the easiest game we will ever have against them suggests we passed up the opportunity to give them a once in a lifetime cricket score win that would never be forgotten and would have helped our GD as well which is worth another point.

As for Skrtel, after watching Leicester/West Ham the other day I get the feeling that tugging away at shirts is going to get stamped on shortly so his career would be effectively over by then, don't think Jurgen rates him, not enough of a footballer for the way forward, shame as he was a good servant.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:31:04 am »
Everton were quite easily the worst side I've seen at Anfield all season. They actually started relatively well to be fair to them, with Barkley and Lukaku in particular looking quite dangerous. If it wasn't for a world class tackle from Sakho on Lukaku (I'm still not sure how he gets the ball from that angle) they would have been leading.

Their heads went, though. It was a bit like watching Dortmund after Phil's goal - they suddenly didn't feel so safe, the crowd was getting to them and they didnt seem to know where they were meant to be. I knew a goal was coming when Robles, after a bit of time wasting, booted the ball into the crowd from a goal kick.

The crosses from Milner for the two goals were brilliant. He's put in some absolutely wonderful balls this season, a fact which is reflected in the quite ridiculous number of assists he's racked up. It's such a shame his all round play isn't a level higher than it is because he'd be unplayable if it was. On too many occasions he fires a ball down the middle and it simply gets collected by their centre-backs. He did that a lot before our goals last night. It's in stark contrast to the likes of Xabi Alonso and Stevie, who'd regularly play those crossfield passes with frightening accuracy and it's a real shame. Still, his contributions last night were absolutely brilliant.

Lovren and Sakho... Fuck me. They're looking more and more solid, more comfortable with each other every time they play. I already mentioned Sakho's tackle on Lukaku earlier but Lovren put in an equally brilliant tackle on Lennon in the first half. Lennon visibly shrunk after that and totally hid for the rest of the game. Sakho hasn't fully convinced me as a player yet and I think he'll continue to struggle when we play a slightly higher line but I absolutely love the bloke. His celebration with Kolo was boss as well. As for Skrtel, I think it'd be a great idea for him to go to Newcastle if they stay up. Plenty of last ditch tackles and blocks for him there, as well as the Rafa factor.

Also, where the fuck did this Joe Allen come from? It's been like having a new player these last few months, he's been outstanding. He ran Everton ragged when he came on and got into some great positions on two occasions. He was unlucky not to score but he got an assist for Phil which was the least he deserved. That photo of him laughing is also fucking great. With Can out I'd be amazed if he doesn't start both games against Villarreal. Joe Allen's tricky Reds, mate.

Not much more to say apart from that. They were so fucking bad that it genuinely beggars belief. I know we were shite last season and they were still on a bit of a high but it's amazing that the side they had out yesterday was nearly identical to the one that got a point against us last year. Their slide has been remarkable (and glorious).

Up the fucking Reds.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:36:44 am by TravisBickle »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 04:28:45 am »
:scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 06:37:09 am »
Got to love what we're starting to do with defenders scoring, more goals and assists from Milner, Coutinho and our two strikers.

I'd still like a little more end product from Lallana but can't complain about his general performances.

The foundation is there, we're getting better.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 07:03:24 am »

Question 1: I think they're mates but I couldn't figure out whether Sturridge was being serious or not with his comments post match. Didn't pick up on the passing thing between them thought to be honest.

Question 2: I think so, well I hope so. To play the way Klopp wants long term we need to be higher up the pitch, Skrtel is never gonna do that and I think Lovren is much more comfortable on the ball. Skrtel has been a loyal player but he was never good enough in the grand scheme of things.

Question 3: I really feel for Joe Allen, he's never played as well as this since he arrived and that is in part down to himself and Klopp, although the latter still doesn't want him to start the biggest games of our season which is interesting, maybe he thinks he can effect a game more when the opposition tire, I'm not sure but I'm not questioning Klopp when he's got us playing so well.

As for the match I thought Funes Mori was despicable. Even if and it's a big if, he didn't mean to catch Origi he certainly knew he did it when it happened, so he knows he's hurt the lad, intentionally or not. He proceeds to boot the ball away and then tug on the shirt, did he even go to see how Origi was. Robles and other Everton players came towards Origi, seemingly thinking he was faking an injury and telling him to get up. Fair play to Martinez he's know got them playing with the same attitude the Everton fans have.

It was impossible to fault any players really, if your being picky then there's the odd time we could have made a better decision, a better choice but I think that's always been a weakness, something Klopp has spoke about, which he'll address through training in time or player recruitment.

We still have that Europa cup to fight for and my belief grows every game we play under Klopp that we can achieve that goal. Despite this season not being over it's hard not to look forward to next season under this manager. So exciting.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 07:36:39 am »
The only comment I've got to add to this is how the team responded to Origi being injured. Sometimes bad injuries to a team mate can subdue a team, but it seemed to me the response it created in our players was anger and a desire to humiliate Everton.  I think it's fair to say they succeeded.

Offline jimbo1962

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:14:10 am »
we seem to be scoring a lot with headers...is it part of our new approach ?

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:07 am »
Our second half performance was just a pisstake. I think the injury of Origi motivated the team even more to humiliate them. Even under Moyes, they weren't this drab. Funny to see their goalie hit all his shots to a liverpool player towards the end and few shots even to our supporters.

That move before Lucas took his shot was looking like a practice session. I am happy that our players didnt need to sweat it out for the whole 90 mins.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:47 am »
we seem to be scoring a lot with headers...is it part of our new approach ?

I think we're definitely doing a better job of overlapping out wide, that aspect pretty atrocious under Rodgers. Think Klopp has created better queues so our players are knowing when the ball is going to be crossed and we've got the right guys crossing it (Milner).

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 08:47:20 am »
They were bad. Apart from the first 20, they were so very bad, from the goalkeeper dithering on Milner's cross, to the lack of discipline from the gallery-playing idiot. At the end, Lukaku's expression said he can't wait to abandon the sinking ship. I think it was right most of the post-match commentary dealt with them. It's really hard to evaluate where we are except that it's clear we have the right manager for us.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 10:46:12 am »
Never expected it to be that easy. We controlled things and the late goals in the first half killed the game. The Echo's rating of Mignolet said it all really. N/A. Over here, a newspaper had received 500 pictures from the game. None of them had Mignolet on it. That says a lot.  http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/internationell/england/article22675633.ab

This was yet another sign that we're on the right track. Perfect timing too, when the season is about to end and we're chasing a CL spot, a EL trophy and of course, new players.

Question 1: Is Sturridge and Coutinho bessie mates or not? Him trying to claim Philip's goal and a few times after that where they ignored each other with simple passes made me wonder if Daniel's innate selfishness (that all good strikers seem to have) rubs the wrong way against Coutinho.

This was probably nothing, but Sturridge seems to have a need to be seen as the main man. I remember when it was him and Suarez up front (who doesn't?). Whenever Suarez scored or made something special, it was like Sturridge wanted to top it.

Lovren seems to have established himself as a first pick. When he plays like this, that's great. I have nothing against Skrtel. He's been an important member for a long time and that's something to put value on. But time is running out for him. It's obvious, because he's one of the older players and we're bringing in new competition (Matip), plus we have a young player in Gomez to think about too.

Question 3: Is Joe Allen becoming a semi super sub now?

Sort of. He's really taken a big step up with the arrival of Klopp. Half a year ago, I was almost certain he'd go at the end of the season. Now he's shown qualities we never saw in him under Rodgers. I like it. Didn't think about Allen specifically, but during the derby game I asked myself which players have improved under Klopp? I think more or less everyone (bar maybe Benteke). Another good sign...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 03:46:59 pm »

Here is what Danny has to say:

“Of course I’ve told him. He would claim it is his but it touched me so it is my goal,” said Sturridge of Liverpool’s final goal of the night.

“If it touches you you claim it, wherever it touches you – eyelash, wherever. It did actually touch me.

“I’m not the type of guy who would claim a goal if it didn’t touch me – I know there are some guys out there hungry for goals but I’m not that hungry.

“There has been some dubious decisions but that is not dubious, it is clear for everyone to see."

I think the mainstream press doesn't get his humour at all!

Source: http://www.teamtalk.com/news/sturridge-drops-liverpool-future-hint-lays-claim-to-coutinho-goal
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 06:45:34 pm »
A few more goals and breaking the record for a derby would have been nice and on balance would have probably been more representative of how one-sided this match was.

Plus that way - if it was 6 or 7 or even 8-0 - in 10 years the Bitters couldn't rewrite history and say - well it's because we were down to 10 men, or that we were focused on the FA Cup Semifinal, or you had 2 fluke goals before the half so we rested players, or etc etc etc.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 06:50:27 pm »
I've watched the extended highlights of this game twice since Wednesday night. Yes, Everton are a hollow shell of a football team right now, but fuck me we're playing some top stuff at the moment. It's hard not to get carried away with Klopp. He's waved a magic wand around the place.

A journo in The Echo did his 'Merseyside XI' before the game (Christ, they're tedious aren't they?) Seven Blues and four Reds he had in there. Odd. And what's even odder is that, on paper, Everton actually do have a pretty decent side. But where they have completely lost all faith in their manager, we have total, absolute faith in ours. And why wouldn't you? Watch his interviews. The man is not only the best coaches in world football, he is a leader, a philosopher on life. He'll be doing TED talks when he retires. No wonder we're in good form because what player wouldn't want to be playing under him next season? He's got a magnetism about him. Makes you think "I want to be around that man".

I'm kinda done speculating about our future - what players are coming and going and so-forth. And it's because I'm at total ease. I couldn't be any more relaxed. This is already something special as far as I'm concerned. Whether we will look back on Klopp's time here in 10/20 years and be remembering titles and trophies, I don't know. But what I do know is he is a man that understands what football is at its core: something that is fun and something that is to be enjoyed. Whether it's been TV's over-analysis or the nasty off-field shit that goes on, somewhere along the way we lost sight of what football is. He's a unique man and every Liverpool fan should wake up and pinch themselves that he's here.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 06:50:59 pm »
Just pretend it was a really tight game with limited chances (need a good imagination!). Should Lallana have squared that early chance to Firmino? I was angry at the time and thought it was a good chance missed but easy to say that from the sofa with a high camera. I guess any footballer would have backed themselves in a one on one like that. I do love walking the ball in though like Firmino v City at their place.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 06:54:02 pm »
Just pretend it was a really tight game with limited chances (need a good imagination!). Should Lallana have squared that early chance to Firmino? I was angry at the time and thought it was a good chance missed but easy to say that from the sofa with a high camera. I guess any footballer would have backed themselves in a one on one like that. I do love walking the ball in though like Firmino v City at their place.

Arsenal's invincibles seemed to have someone passing the ball into an empty net every game.