Author Topic: Welcome Adrian  (Read 151733 times)

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Adrian
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2019, 12:47:59 am »
Come on Adrian, here is your chance to prove!
Believer

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2019, 01:51:13 am »
He looked alright, very nice to have someone good with the ball. The goal is where you notice the difference, he's not done much wrong as such, it's just Alisson is so good that anytime a player is in on our goal he's usually somehow right in their face every time and blocks it. Like the offside one which was fucking stunning. We could have Ter Stegen as back up and the situation still wouldn't feel good but hopefully we are alright, the fixtures aren't too bad though Southampton will be tough.

Exactly. It was a nice finish, Adrian didn't do anything wrong, but I just felt Ali would have stopped it - he's just that good.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2019, 03:41:54 am »
He is decent.
He's just not Ali and that just tells you how head and shoulders above the competition he is. Maybe its just me, but with Ali on the pitch you just expect him to be there at the right place all the time before anything happens.
Adrian did okay but as a normal goalkeeper, he prefers to be closer to the goal. He'll be fine as a backup and is a very good goalkeeper, I just want my Ali back as soon as possible.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2019, 03:47:53 am »
Exactly. It was a nice finish, Adrian didn't do anything wrong, but I just felt Ali would have stopped it - he's just that good.

Announcers on the US broadcast noticed that Adrian had taken a little step to the near post and wasn’t expecting it to go far post. It was a good shot - but Alisson saved that shot a couple of different times against Barcelona. We’ve already gotten spoiled in just one season.

Anyway - Adrian just needs to be solid for a few weeks here (hopefully) and not cost us any points and we will all be happy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:50:52 am by newterp »

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2019, 06:27:54 am »
Adrian time.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2019, 09:36:02 am »
Underlines the importance of a top keeper last night. Think he should have saved what was a mediocre powered shot and spilled another into the middle of the goal. He’ll do though till Allison comes back.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2019, 09:54:51 am »
Honestly, some of the comments in here.

The guy joined us on Monday.  MONDAY.  And people are already clicking their tongues, "Alis saves that," "he'll do till Ali gets back".

Translation: you're a bunch of bed wetters who are already scared of what losing our #1 does for our GD. 

He's just had to unexpectedly step in to cover arguably the best keeper in the world and the tepid response in here is in stark contrast to the roaring welcome Anfield gave him.  Try having the same kind of faith in Adrian that Klopp clearly does.

Reading the match thread it seems we should save our criticism for an established midfield that allowed a decent Norwich side too much in the game rather than the new guy who's been with us less than a week and might - you know - need a few sodding games to get up to speed?

Now, a question: Where will we stand in the League Cup?  We're not due to enter the competition until next month and usually we'd expect Adrian to deputise in those matches - will he still do so, or will Klopp not risk him?  Or do we think will Alisson might be suitably recovered by that point that he might play some early LC fixtures for match fitness purposes?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2019, 10:05:00 am »
What a weird post. How is thinking Alisson is the best on the planet and he’s a loss “bedwetting”? This place is fucking nuts at times.

I'm complaining about the "meh" attitude any number here are expressing.  Not the likes of PoP or lorenzo, because they recognise it simply isn't fair to compare Adrian to the best keeper in the world.

We're all worried for Becker and we all realise titles are won and lost on fine margins but you can't take a single goal conceded as any kind of benchmark for how Adrian might perform once he's got in the groove - and that's the sense I'm getting in some of these posts. 

If I'm misreading that, then of course I apologise, but we've been spoiled so far by Becker and need to remember that Adrian is his own man.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2019, 10:24:05 am »
Bet he didn't expect to be in the team this quick.  Strange how things happen.

He played a few nice passess forward yesterday.

Hope he can be solid until Becker returns.

Good luck to him.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2019, 10:36:43 am »
Lets all hope that the narrative on here in a few months will be about the dilemma of should Ali get in ahead of Adrian now he is fit again.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2019, 10:49:39 am »
Could he have done better with the goal? Maybe. Would Alisson have saved it? Maybe.

What was clear to me, was how much more comfortable he is with the ball at his feet than Migs was. That's the main focus for me. Our system had to change every time migs came in last season and the defence didn't look as comfortable knowing the couldn't ping one back to the keeper. They can now. Is he as good as Alisson? No. If he was, he wouldn't be our second choice keeper.

But overall, relatively good debut, and there are worse times to make your debut than when you're already 3-0 up in the first half at home and you're a keeper running towards the kop.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2019, 10:49:42 am »

I'm complaining about the "meh" attitude any number here are expressing.

snip

But you're just trying to divert the 'meh' attitude towards our midfield with your previous post in a game where we won 4-1, without stepping into 2nd gear and creating fantastic moments and chances on the way. Really?

Why criticize the goalkeeper or the midfield when no one was really bad here. Trent and Gomez had a couple of difficult moments and that was it basically. A game where we took the foot off the gas for the last 30 minutes saving legs for the midweek game when we'd already scored 4 and looked like scoring another 2. There's no need to criticize anyone at all.

Regarding Adrian, I think the general comments are just observations on how good can he be, or how much can he hold fort, which are valid questions if Alisson is being out for long. Most of the posts with "Alisson would've saved this" are not actually criticizing Adrian, they're just highlighting how much of a miss Alisson could be.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:53:49 am by PoetryInMotion »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2019, 10:53:25 am »
As for having a look at Adrian yesterday, as mentioned here, he looked good with the ball on the feet. That's a good sign. The other one to look for is how much of a command does he have over the area & how quick off his line is he. He was relatively untested here as I don't think Norwich threw any crosses or corners at him at all. He will be tested in the next few games and hopefully he's ready for them.

Going off his West Ham stint isn't ideal as it's been two years since he has been a regular, even though his basic qualities will be with him.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2019, 11:03:27 am »
Anyone you bring on to replace Allisson is going to be a step down, the lad is the best keeper in the world.

I thought he did well for his debut, considering he's been here 5 minutes and wasn't due to play until the League Cup starts for us. Him playing in the Super Cup is a good thing as it gives him another game to get used to the players in front of him. Virgil will help him get settled with the back 4.

I'd be shitting it if it was Migs in goal.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2019, 11:08:32 am »
I'm not sure, maybe he's been training with some side, but he may well only have caught his first shots from elite players for months earlier this week. The more training sessions he gets, the less rusty he'll be. Personally I think Mignolet has been given an unfair rep from some of our fans, it's going to take quite a bit to match him, but Adrián nevertheless did a good job for the Hammers a few years back and at least knows the league. One plus is obviously that he'll receive fewer things to do than playing for them, so as long as he doesn't drop clankers he may well be able to keep clean sheets without really being noticed. The one thing that looks a bit unwise now, with hindsight being 20/20 is not having a Manninger-like third choice who's been there and done that in the squad.

As for Mignolet, as far as shot-stopping goes he was definitely near Dudek's level - it's just that his distribution was a bit... yeah... not so good. All I'm asking for from a backup goalie is that he's able to pull big saves. He doesn't need to be the full complete thing, because then he deserves to be #1 elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:12:13 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2019, 11:19:18 am »
The welcome and the cheer he got when he sprayed the first pass out to the left wing. That’s what separates us, Welcome to Anfield. I think he’ll be fine for us.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2019, 12:16:43 pm »
But you're just trying to divert the 'meh' attitude towards our midfield with your previous post in a game where we won 4-1, without stepping into 2nd gear and creating fantastic moments and chances on the way. Really?

Why criticize the goalkeeper or the midfield when no one was really bad here. Trent and Gomez had a couple of difficult moments and that was it basically. A game where we took the foot off the gas for the last 30 minutes saving legs for the midweek game when we'd already scored 4 and looked like scoring another 2. There's no need to criticize anyone at all.

Regarding Adrian, I think the general comments are just observations on how good can he be, or how much can he hold fort, which are valid questions if Alisson is being out for long. Most of the posts with "Alisson would've saved this" are not actually criticizing Adrian, they're just highlighting how much of a miss Alisson could be.

Nope. I think we played well. I was saying that anybody who wants to meh Adrian would be better off being meh about the midfield. Sorry for not specifying.  :)

Rob put it better than I did. I over reacted slightly because I felt people were being hyper critical of the lad. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2019, 12:20:22 pm »
He’s literally been here 4 days and as others have mentioned won’t have trained against top level pros since May, did fine really and will be much sharper in the coming days

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2019, 12:23:34 pm »
Thought Adrian did pretty well when he came on given he wasn't expecting to be involved at all.

A smart save and not much he could do about the goal.

People have argued that Mignolet may have done as well - and he probably would - but it's about perception and that perception is that he starts with a clean slate.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2019, 12:25:13 pm »
Come on Adrian lad, bring home the Super Cup!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2019, 12:34:15 pm »
Don’t mind if he’s a little worse shot stopping than Mignolet if he’s a little better with his feet

He’s second choice keeper. There will be goals he concedes that our first choice keeper might have saved. Duh.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2019, 12:52:16 pm »
Goal we conceded - maybe his movement to the near post made it easier, maybe it didn't matter

Now for the facts, guy had been released , heard he has been training to retain match fitness but he has literally done proper training for 4 days ! Goalkeepers do need pre season training as well to get match sharpness.

Glad next game against Chelsea is somewhat meaningless, he will get some more minutes under his belt.

Didn't know before he signed with us that he is Spanish. Not that every Spanish goalkeeper is great with his feet (de gea) but that and given what I saw yesterday, his comfort level is very good.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2019, 01:25:18 pm »
I wonder what Mignolet was thinking when Adrian coming on.

Great moment for Adrian, the reception he got when he came on.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2019, 01:30:52 pm »
Neil Jones confirming we are looking at a short term GK option.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2019, 01:36:19 pm »
Neil Jones confirming we are looking at a short term GK option.
return of lonergan?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2019, 01:41:53 pm »
return of lonergan?
Neil Jones
@neiljonesgoal

#LFC will consider short-term goalkeeping options, including Andy Lonergan, as they wait to discover the full extent of Alisson's injury.

Youngster Caiomhin Kelleher due back in training after his wrist injury, too.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2019, 01:47:36 pm »
Neil Jones
@neiljonesgoal

#LFC will consider short-term goalkeeping options, including Andy Lonergan, as they wait to discover the full extent of Alisson's injury.

Youngster Caiomhin Kelleher due back in training after his wrist injury, too.
seeing as he’s been training with us the past month it’s the most obvious one

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2019, 02:09:52 pm »
Given Alisson's injury this is looking like an almost spookily prescient signing. Obviously losing Alisson is a major blow - he's probably the best GK in the world - but if he is out for six weeks I feel a lot happier knowing we've got a back up that will enable us to maintain a higher line and to distribute it from the back quickly. Also a huge opportunity for Adrian to, if not displace Alisson, at least make extra sure that there can be no complacency - I think it's always good for players to know that their place could be taken if they don't maintain the high standards they set for themselves.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2019, 02:56:45 pm »

As for Mignolet, as far as shot-stopping goes he was definitely near Dudek's level - it's just that his distribution was a bit... yeah... not so good. All I'm asking for from a backup goalie is that he's able to pull big saves. He doesn't need to be the full complete thing, because then he deserves to be #1 elsewhere.

Mignolet's biggest problem at Liverpool was not distribution, I'm not sure how so many believe it is. It's actually lack of command of his area and his inability to come off the line. That means our whole defensive game-plan gets thrown into the bin because our style is to play a high line with the offside trap, while the keeper clears anything that is played behind our defensive line. The fact that he stays behind in these situations makes us more vulnerable and it causes one mistake after another from defenders as well.

In short, I'd take someone who has Mignolet's level of distribution (yes I'm coming down), but with more command of the area and someone who is quick off his line. I think Karius was exactly that. He wasn't a great keeper, but he was a good keeper who suited our style of play. I hope Adrian can replicate that, and if he does that much, it should suffice.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2019, 02:59:41 pm »
Nope. I think we played well. I was saying that anybody who wants to meh Adrian would be better off being meh about the midfield. Sorry for not specifying.  :)

Rob put it better than I did. I over reacted slightly because I felt people were being hyper critical of the lad. :)

No worries mate. Not wrong to have the back of our new signing  :)

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2019, 03:04:40 pm »
We may have to be a little conservative in how we set up now. Adrian is not as aggressive  like Ali. He is a traditional keeper who likes to stay on his line while being competent in sweeping up.

If our defense keeps things tight and our midfield do their job, Adrian will do a fine job. He made some out of the world saves for west ham over the years.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:51:22 pm by Bolrick »
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2019, 03:29:33 pm »
Underlines the importance of a top keeper last night. Think he should have saved what was a mediocre powered shot and spilled another into the middle of the goal. He’ll do though till Allison comes back.

Watch it again. No-one is closing down the player in possession to block the pass. Then neither Gomez nor Trent tracks the striker and he is left completely free 1 on 1, and then takes one touch and hits an accurate shot right across the keeper and right in the corner. Adrian had to cover his near and far post with a player 10 yards from him who scored 30 goals in the Championship last season - how on earth is it a mediocre shot that he should have saved?

Despite the scoreline, our midfield and defence were a little sloppy at times, and had they closed down or been tighter to the Norwich players then Adrian gets a clean sheet.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:32:59 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »
Watch it again. No-one is closing down the player in possession to block the pass. Then neither Gomez nor Trent tracks the striker and he is left completely free 1 on 1, and then takes one touch and hits an accurate shot right across the keeper and right in the corner. Adrian had to cover his near and far post with a player 10 yards from him who scored 30 goals in the Championship last season - how on earth is it is a mediocre shot that he should have saved?

Despite the scoreline, our midfield and defence were a little sloppy at times, and had they closed down or been tighter to the Norwich players then Adrian gets a clean sheet.

He could have come out more aggressively and closed the angle better, though.

Here is the ball just arriving at Pukki's feet. Note how Adrian isn't even in shot, given that it was a telegraphed pass:

Then here is the ball at his feet. Look at where Adrian's feet are, right up at the 6-yard line. He could and should be closer to Pukki, which cuts out his visual angle and possibly forces him to change his mind:

Then this is the shot being taken. Note how Adrian has backed off from the 6 yard line:

So he played it very conservative, and gave Pukki the angle and space he needed to get his shot off.

Again, though, he did what most keepers would do - he protected his goal. But the principles of play apply to keepers as much as outfield players, and closing down the angle once the player has broken the offside line and gone 1v1, is a better option than sitting on the line, or half-committing to coming off it, in terms of minimizing goal chances
Better looking than Samie.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2019, 03:57:42 pm »
Thanks for that ^

From where I was sat it was also pretty clear that part of that step back was a move towards the near post, which I didn't understand at the time as it maDe the goal easier, but I guess he was protecting the near post. I do agree though that he should have been much quicker off his line, doesn't mean he saves it just makes it harder and gives the striker less time.

Otherwise I thought he looked good with his feet and comfortable on the ball.

I am also beginning to get an irrational dislike of the new rule where defenders can receive the ball in the area.... but thats a whole other issue!

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2019, 03:59:10 pm »
Had a rocky start but no need to apollo gise. Main thing is we get behind him and he never walks Stallone.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2019, 04:10:49 pm »
Had a rocky start but no need to apollo gise. Main thing is we get behind him and he never walks Stallone.

These puns will Drago on. Ivan idea - let's stop taking the Mickey, and send these puns a-Lang their way

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2019, 04:17:22 pm »
Alisson would have come out in a flash and be right in Pukki's face.  This is not a slight on Adrian though, I still think he is a good goalkeeper, but Alisson is elite. Maybe our defenders need to get used to playing with a more conservative goalkeeper behind them

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2019, 04:18:39 pm »
Alisson would have come out in a flash and be right in Pukki's face.  This is not a slight on Adrian though, I still think he is a good goalkeeper, but Alisson is elite. Maybe our defenders need to get used to playing with a more conservative goalkeeper behind them

Exactly.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2019, 04:32:04 pm »
He could have come out more aggressively and closed the angle better, though.

Here is the ball just arriving at Pukki's feet. Note how Adrian isn't even in shot, given that it was a telegraphed pass:

Then here is the ball at his feet. Look at where Adrian's feet are, right up at the 6-yard line. He could and should be closer to Pukki, which cuts out his visual angle and possibly forces him to change his mind:

Then this is the shot being taken. Note how Adrian has backed off from the 6 yard line:

So he played it very conservative, and gave Pukki the angle and space he needed to get his shot off.

Again, though, he did what most keepers would do - he protected his goal. But the principles of play apply to keepers as much as outfield players, and closing down the angle once the player has broken the offside line and gone 1v1, is a better option than sitting on the line, or half-committing to coming off it, in terms of minimizing goal chances

All true, but we'll never know if Alisson would've saved it even if he'd rushed off his line.

I was just trying to see both sides, and that our midfield and defence both had opportunities to prevent the 1 on 1 chance in the first place. Plus its Adrian's first game and he's only been with us a few days, hence why I was surprised to see posters suggesting he should've saved it, by using the world's best keeper as a comparison.

I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2019, 04:33:40 pm »
All true, but we'll never know if Alisson would've saved it even if he'd rushed off his line.

I was just trying to see both sides, and that our midfield and defence both had opportunities to prevent the 1 on 1 chance in the first place. Plus its Adrian's first game and he's only been with us a few days, hence why I was surprised to see posters suggesting he should've saved it, by using the world's best keeper as a comparison.

It's not so much that he "should have saved it", for me - but more that he could have made it a more difficult shot for Pukki. Which Allison most likely would have done.