Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 448351 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Confirmed!
« Reply #360 on: July 16, 2018, 10:03:08 pm »
I understand why it’s become a thing but “look at what was on our bench in the CL final” isn’t really the way to look at it. We’ll probably never be that unlucky again.

It’s more about turning 75 points to 90. Roughly half the games Liverpool play in a given season come against opponents that are clearly a level below the club. Is Shaqiri good enough to go 90 in the odd game to rest Salah or Mane? Is he a player that could help put away Everton in the first half of last years Anfield fixture, or help break the deadlock vs West Brom at home? Can he come on and be a difference maker for 20 minutes to beat Burnley at home?

Sort of like how Wijnaldum’s signing was from Newcastle but it was actually more about what he’s proven before that at PSV that was relevant here, I don’t think it’s really about how Shaqiri performed at Stoke. His role at Bayern is a much more natural comparison.

Unlucky how?

Both examples highlight the exact same thing, a steep drop in quality beyond the starting XI.

Online daggerdoo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:37 pm »
Just hoping to be helpful. All English commentators/pundits I have heard have pronounced it with q/k, and all the Shaq and Shakira jokes here imply it has stuck. Now that he has joined the club, it would be nice and respectful if Liverpool supporters do it right.
It took ages, basically until his retirement, before Finnish football fans learned this with Shefki Kuqi, another Kosovar Albanian.
Got you pal. Had his first name right, thanks for correcting me on his last name.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:41 am »
I understand why it’s become a thing but “look at what was on our bench in the CL final” isn’t really the way to look at it. We’ll probably never be that unlucky again.

It’s more about turning 75 points to 90. Roughly half the games Liverpool play in a given season come against opponents that are clearly a level below the club. Is Shaqiri good enough to go 90 in the odd game to rest Salah or Mane? Is he a player that could help put away Everton in the first half of last years Anfield fixture, or help break the deadlock vs West Brom at home? Can he come on and be a difference maker for 20 minutes to beat Burnley at home?

Sort of like how Wijnaldum’s signing was from Newcastle but it was actually more about what he’s proven before that at PSV that was relevant here, I don’t think it’s really about how Shaqiri performed at Stoke. His role at Bayern is a much more natural comparison.

Yes, this is exactly why we've signed him. He's perfect against low block teams, when we only have to attack and don't have to worry about tracking back. Shots from distance, accurate crosses, fantastic free-kick/corners taker (Grizmann won the WC for France thanks to his brilliant freekicks), loves to penetrate and make things happen, has the courage and strength to do that, rather than just exchanging passes with teammates when there's no space for penetration. I said before we signed him that Bobby is going to love playing with him, because what Bobby does for Salah, Shaq will do for Bobby.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #363 on: July 17, 2018, 10:09:00 am »
Unlucky how?

Both examples highlight the exact same thing, a steep drop in quality beyond the starting XI.

So we weren't unlucky to have long term injuries last season for Clyne, Lallana, Ox and medium term injuries for Matip, Gomez, Hendo and Can as well at different times? All the while we had Coutinho do his thing and had to lose another attacking option. The fact that all these happened in the same season makes it extremely unlikely for the sequence of events to repeat. We've lost Ox for half the season, and Lallana, Matip get niggles, but we've got cover for Hendo & loss of Can now, and cover for front 3 and likely another for Ox/Lallana as well. 

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #364 on: July 17, 2018, 01:53:56 pm »
Only dawned on me, watching that vid on Twitter about Shaq's contract signing day at Melwood, that of course he knows Andreas Kornmayer   ;D In fact he'll know him well, and no doubt Kornmayer was able to give Kloppo a pretty accurate low-down on Shaq the person and the player, being as he trained him for 2 and a half years.

Online mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: July 17, 2018, 01:57:12 pm »
Only dawned on me, watching that vid on Twitter about Shaq's contract signing day at Melwood, that of course he knows Andreas Kornmayer   ;D In fact he'll know him well, and no doubt Kornmayer was able to give Kloppo a pretty accurate low-down on Shaq the person and the player, being as he trained him for 2 and a half years.

I was wondering about that interaction ;D. I forgot that Kornmayer was at Bayern.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #366 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:39 pm »

:lmao
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: July 17, 2018, 02:17:48 pm »

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #368 on: July 17, 2018, 02:23:48 pm »
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: July 17, 2018, 02:42:37 pm »
 ;D

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #370 on: July 17, 2018, 02:45:41 pm »

01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: July 17, 2018, 03:53:06 pm »
remindes me of Joe Pesci for some reason :D

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2018, 04:36:23 pm »
remindes me of Joe Pesci for some reason :D

Thought the same mate,or deniro in analyze this

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:45 pm »
Haha wtf is he doing there.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2018, 05:19:15 pm »
Haha wtf is he doing there.

that was his reaction to spotting Andreas Kornmayer  :D

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2018, 05:23:37 pm »

I forsee internet fame for this like Lucas UnLuckeeeeeee

;D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2018, 05:36:36 pm »
So we weren't unlucky to have long term injuries last season for Clyne, Lallana, Ox and medium term injuries for Matip, Gomez, Hendo and Can as well at different times? All the while we had Coutinho do his thing and had to lose another attacking option. The fact that all these happened in the same season makes it extremely unlikely for the sequence of events to repeat. We've lost Ox for half the season, and Lallana, Matip get niggles, but we've got cover for Hendo & loss of Can now, and cover for front 3 and likely another for Ox/Lallana as well. 

The biggest thing that impacted those dropped league points and our CL final bench was a lack of options for the front three, and our injuries didn't really affect that. You could argue that Ox could've played in the front three instead of Lallana in the final but that's about it really. Even taking a broader view, we've had numerous injuries every season for years, if anything last season we were lucky that we didn't really lose any pivotal players aside from Salah for the final. Mane was only injured when we still had Coutinho, Henderson and Can didn't get injured at the same time, VVD stayed fit after arriving and most of our injured defenders were replaced by arguably better players.

In the closing months of the season when we needed to rotate more it was the attack where we lacked depth the most and we didn't really have any injuries there. We were missing Coutinho but we'd had two opportunities to replace him at that point and had opted not to.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #377 on: July 17, 2018, 06:04:02 pm »

He's just spotted the vending machine. It has Toblerone.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: July 17, 2018, 06:08:06 pm »
That gif [emoji23]
He really looks over the moon that he’s our player. Nice to see.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: July 17, 2018, 06:26:42 pm »
seems a sound guy . all best at lfc lad  :scarf

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: July 17, 2018, 07:17:32 pm »
Xherdan Shaqiri's top 10 goals - absolute filth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzHnRrPEmmw

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: July 17, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »
Thought the same mate,or deniro in analyze this

has something from both :D but that small mafia guy look with his clothes... you know :D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: July 17, 2018, 08:16:36 pm »

Ta

This popped up after. He seems like a really lovely guy off the pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsQ6WnjZBIw

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: July 17, 2018, 08:26:11 pm »
Ta

This popped up after. He seems like a really lovely guy off the pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsQ6WnjZBIw

that bit with Gini cracks me up, trying his best to do a serious face, and it lasts all of about 2 seconds before he bursts into laughter  ;D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: July 17, 2018, 08:29:31 pm »
that bit with Gini cracks me up, trying his best to do a serious face, and it lasts all of about 2 seconds before he bursts into laughter  ;D

The pair of them are so happy and can't help themselves!

Wonder how many languages Xherdan speaks. Was doing his computer test in German (I think), spoke to Naby in French, obviously English. Maybe Albanian? Maybe Italian?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: July 17, 2018, 08:40:16 pm »
The pair of them are so happy and can't help themselves!

Wonder how many languages Xherdan speaks. Was doing his computer test in German (I think), spoke to Naby in French, obviously English. Maybe Albanian? Maybe Italian?

I think his family fled to an area near Basel, which would be in the German speaking part of Switzerland, but it's quite close to the French speaking area, so a chance he'd speak at least some French too. And then Albanian at home I would guess.

A multi lingual guy for sure! 

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #386 on: July 17, 2018, 08:55:57 pm »
:o that cognitive test! I remember running one of those on about 20 people for my Honours Dissertation at Uni

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #388 on: July 17, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »
I think we are all gonna love this little fella.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2018, 10:25:40 pm »

Going to need him to bring that arms folded celebration with him.   8)

Did we check the buyout clause with Stoke?  It's included, right?!  ???
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:50 pm »
Definitely like this signing. Not only is it a bargain but we've finally got a winger who, despite playing on his 'wrong' side, is happy to hold his width and provide dangerous passes and crosses from wider areas.

He doesn't have to be a world beater, but if he helps create both chances and space for Salah (and potentially Fekir) then it's job done. The fact that he's got serious pace and skills is a bonus. Just get tracking back lad!

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #391 on: July 17, 2018, 11:30:20 pm »

There is a touch of Suarez v Norwich about how he destroys Hull so many times in that top 10 list. Klopp needs to have a word with Robertson for showing him inside and not getting tight enough to prevent the shot on that 4th one.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2018, 11:32:27 pm »

It's the pause before he pulls the trigger that gets me.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #394 on: July 18, 2018, 01:16:38 am »

Spot on, Die. Obvious affection between the two. Andreas will be plotting his physio as we speak
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2018, 01:37:20 am »

Suddenly a huge fan ;D  Viral, classic, multi-purpose usefulness meme on day one. Hell in hour one. Get in.

His whole "first day" thing seems quite sound but this kind of thing is invaluable in a dressing room and all about the place. Could Gary Neville have been wrong about him? Surely not Gary. He coached Seville, that guy.   
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2018, 03:04:05 am »
He looked chuffed to bits, really made me smile. Glad he got his chance to sign after missing out 4 years ago

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2018, 03:10:24 am »
Suddenly a huge fan ;D  Viral, classic, multi-purpose usefulness meme on day one. Hell in hour one. Get in.

His whole "first day" thing seems quite sound but this kind of thing is invaluable in a dressing room and all about the place. Could Gary Neville have been wrong about him? Surely not Gary. He coached Seville, that guy.

Valencia?
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2018, 07:25:02 am »
He looks like we're watching him in the wrong aspect ratio.  I do love odd looking footballers for some reason.