Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 179039 times)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Not really a trophy given after two games tho is it. It's basically two successful seasons beforehand just to get a shot at it

True but, you never know in years from now if it will still be like that, or take on more significance. Win it when no one gives a fuck, like Madrid with the European Cup in the 50's. Rack them up

Online rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
True but, you never know in years from now if it will still be like that, or take on more significance. Win it when no one gives a fuck, like Madrid with the European Cup in the 50's. Rack them up

Agree with you mate, laughable that some right it off.

I actually think it'll become a pretty major tournament when they turn it into a summer world cup one in a few years.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
It’s the hardest club competition to qualify for really. We had to qualify for the CL in 17/18, then win the CL in 18/19 to qualify. It may only be two games, but that’s because we’re given byes in the earlier rounds.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread but I thinks it's bollocks - always have, always will. To me, The Community Shield, European Super Cup, and World Club Cup count for very little, and this season I'm actually viewing them as nuisance distractions.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread but I thinks it's bollocks - always have, always will. To me, The Community Shield, European Super Cup, and World Club Cup count for very little, and this season I'm actually viewing them as nuisance distractions.

Obviously the club don't share your opinion when it comes to the UEFA Super Cup.

The World Club Cup has yet to be won to be shown.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
Always felt that the Charity Shield is just some glorified pre-season friendly.

Not really arsed if we don't win it.
As long as we play well.

Super Cup is more of a game though.
And would like to win that Club World Cup thing at least once, cos we aint yet.

Offline dobbouk

• Legacy Fan
Always felt that the Charity Shield is just some glorified pre-season friendly.

Not really arsed if we don't win it.
As long as we play well.

Super Cup is more of a game though.
And would like to win that Club World Cup thing at least once, cos we aint yet.

I want to rewrite the wrong of Tokyo 05.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Obviously the club don't share your opinion when it comes to the UEFA Super Cup.

I hope we keep that league trophy template next May when we win the league rather than changing it to the Premier League trophy.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I hope we keep that league trophy template next May when we win the league rather than changing it to the Premier League trophy.

Had the same thought when on the tour couple of weeks ago

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....

I honestly couldn't care less. It's just not a major honour to me, and never has been. Nothing 'won' after one or two games from August to Christmas has ever meant fuck all. Just my opinion.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f

The real proof of how seriously the club and Klopp takes these tournament will be in the team selection. That's where the difficult priorities are made.
My guess is that Klopp will continue to prioritize CL and PL, and take the rest just as lightly as he has taken the domestic cups.
BTW, the order on that board speaks volumes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:10:10 am by jepovic »

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
The real proof of how seriously the club and Klopp takes these tournament will be in the team selection. That's where the difficult priorities are made.
My guess is that Klopp will continue to prioritize CL and PL, and take the rest just as lightly as he has taken the domestic cups.
Yep. The only question is whether the CWC will go before or after the Super Cup.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
With the fifa club world cup you take a squad of 23 players for just two games, you could play for example, 2 different 11's, for the semi final and the final, not too taxing. It is the hardest competition to qualify for, as you have to win the uefa champions league to be in it, This might be our last easy chance to win it, before it gets stupidly revamped in 2021.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
With the fifa club world cup you take a squad of 23 players for just two games, you could play for example, 2 different 11's, for the semi final and the final, not too taxing. It is the hardest competition to qualify for, as you have to win the uefa champions league to be in it, This might be our last easy chance to win it, before it gets stupidly revamped in 2021.
Exact same qualification criterion for the Super Cup, no?

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Exact same qualification criterion for the Super Cup, no?
Yes it is indeed, unless you win the Europa league. but that is a european community shield. But if you Win the fifa club world cup, you are officially Club World Champions. Also that is the only trophy that we have never won before.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yes it is indeed, unless you win the Europa league. but that is a european community shield. But if you Win the fifa club world cup, you are officially Club World Champions. Also that is the only trophy that we have never won before.
True, one more picture on that wall would be nice.

We also never won the Cup Winners' Cup.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite

Yes, one more picture on the wall would be nice. yes we never won the cup winners' cup but that was debunked in 1999, I meant out of the current trophies

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
  Yes, one more picture on the wall would be nice. yes we never won the cup winners' cup but that was debunked in 1999, I meant out of the current trophies
No, the fact we have never won the CWC is still true
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Be careful with the use of abbreviations... ;D

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
None of them are proper trophies, but I want Liverpool to win the games first and foremost, as I would with a regular league or European Cup game.

The charity shield is the least important of the bunch, and really we shouldn't even be playing it. That said, it'll function as something of an important friendly just before the first game, as City are the team standing in our way of winning the league. Want to win of course but if we get that final bit of match fitness before the season starts with the likes of Alisson and Salah back, it'll be fine.

The super cup is more important, even if similar to the charity shield. We were the last English side to win it and as the Champions of Europe we should look to win it again. It's always nice to beat Chelsea and there'll be a good number of reds in Istanbul, where we've lost our last two games. It won't be a massive cause for celebration if we win it but it'll certainly be a nice night and hopefully another number changed on the wall of champions  8) -- Also, we basically have two days rest on Chelsea given we play the Friday and them the Sunday. I can't see them taking it very seriously, especially if they don't win at United.

The CWC is a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest. It's scheduled at a stupid time and in a twat of a place. Ideally, I'd look to leave a few key players behind, and utilise a bit of 'the squad.' We've not won it before, and that doesn't really bother me if it's still the case afterwards, but, if we're going, we might as well win it I suppose. I assume we won't be playing the South American champions in the semi, so that means we'll basically be playing a team few have heard of, so perfect chance to make changes all over. Win that and probably go a little stronger in the final, but try and avoid playing a full 11 given we'll be the better side regardless.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:55:20 am by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
Ideally, I'd look to leave a few key players behind, and utilise a bit of 'the squad.' We've not won it before, and that doesn't really bother me if it's still the case afterwards, but, if we're going, we might as well win it I suppose. I assume we won't be playing the South American champions in the semi, so that means we'll basically be playing a team few have heard of, so perfect chance to make changes all over. Win that and probably go a little stronger in the final, but try and avoid playing a full 11 given we'll be the better side regardless.

I think Klopp has a hard time telling Salah, Mane et al that he's leaving them out of that final. They'll want to play, they'll want to win, they'll want to score. to be honest, I think that goes for every PL and CL game too, but they'll understand missing the odd game in those comps

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan

This still burns me up inside to be honest. Thought it was ours in 1997 was it?

Want the WCW just because we have never won that either. Charity Shield and Super Cup can get in the bin.

I wouldn't mind Klopp doing something a bit nuts and playing the reserves for both so he can have an extra week of preseason with the XI. That would mean taking a risk on the Norwich game in-between and playing a mix of reserves with a few heavy hitters. Then the "first" game for the full XI would be Southampton.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan

I wouldn't mind Klopp doing something a bit nuts and playing the reserves for both so he can have an extra week of preseason with the XI. That would mean taking a risk on the Norwich game in-between and playing a mix of reserves with a few heavy hitters. Then the "first" game for the full XI would be Southampton.

It wouldn't be "nuts", these three games are complete nonsense, glorified friendlies that do nothing but get in the way of proper games.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
yes it is still true, but that competition is debunked. Meaning we can never win it. So no point worrying about that one.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
All I want to see from the CS game is a decent performance and match City in terms of agression as you can bet they'll be wound up still that we didn't let them win the league by 20 points and got the prize they've wanted for ages.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
It wouldn't be "nuts", these three games are complete nonsense, glorified friendlies that do nothing but get in the way of proper games.

The "nuts" bit is more not playing a lot of the first XI for Norwich really so the big guns can have their own super intense pre-season with Klopp and start the season a week later.

Forget about Salah, Mane and Firmino starting until then and hope Brewster, Origi and A.N. Other can get it done against Norwich.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
You can watch our first opponents of the season right now on youtube.  Norwich, that is.
dios esta buena

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Bit worried about the Community Shield to be honest.  I'm a believer, don't get me wrong, but so many of our first teamers have had almost no rest after a summer of almost constant football, compared to City's huge squad that they can cycle through with relative ease.  Best hope is that they take the result for granted and we sucker punch them I think.

Far more confident over the Super Cup, which I also think is more important.  Chelsea are a shambles and we need to take advantage of that.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
City haven't had the most ideal preperations either, I believe some of their players have just now reported back to training. Granted they've had Sterling and Sane to start pre-season but Aguero,Ederson,Jesus,Ottamendi have just now reported back and Mahrez won't be back just yet.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
City haven't had the most ideal preperations either, I believe some of their players have just now reported back to training. Granted they've had Sterling and Sane to start pre-season but Aguero, Ederson, Jesus, Ottamendi have just now reported back and Mahrez won't be back just yet.

Hope so!  My concern is that they can effectively field two first teams, so for a one off game like this they can still chuck some decent talent on the pitch and keep those players benched. 

Granted they've lost some experienced players and their new signings have likely yet to be fully integrated; and we've got some exciting prospects, but they're largely untested at this level.  Like I said, best bet is they underestimate us I think.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
City haven't had the most ideal preperations either, I believe some of their players have just now reported back to training. Granted they've had Sterling and Sane to start pre-season but Aguero,Ederson,Jesus,Ottamendi have just now reported back and Mahrez won't be back just yet.

City’s main card is the return to fitness of De Bruyne. Sane could go and I think some of their players could struggle but De Bruyne coming back is huge.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
City’s main card is the return to fitness of De Bruyne. Sane could go and I think some of their players could struggle but De Bruyne coming back is huge.
Indeed and Mendy. I rate the Ox big time but people saying he’ll be like a new signing are perhaps forgetting the impact those two will have on city.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Indeed and Mendy. I rate the Ox big time but people saying he’ll be like a new signing are perhaps forgetting the impact those two will have on city.

Mendy is injured again with a knee injury and had surgery apparently. He is a decent player and is back not long after the season starts but he isnt reliable at all.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Mendy is injured again with a knee injury and had surgery apparently. He is a decent player and is back not long after the season starts but he isnt reliable at all.
True but I think this one is a minor niggle.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
True but I think this one is a minor niggle.

After two seasons of serious knee injuries though. They do have a few players there but I wouldn't bank on him. De Bruyne is the one though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
De Bruyne didn’t play last season?  ???
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
yes it is still true, but that competition is debunked. Meaning we can never win it. So no point worrying about that one.
Think you mean defunct, not debunked, hence my joke reply :)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
Although some are seen as "not real competitions" a trophy is a trophy, and I would like to see us win everything.

I'll be disappointed if we don't win some of the minor competitions, but not devastated.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Think you mean defunct, not debunked, hence my joke reply :)
ha ha yeah i meant defunct. Works been too busy lol.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
The trophy is coming home for the first time in our history in December my fellow reds.