Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2748443 times)

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #1120 on: September 27, 2006, 04:57:10 am »
GO SAINTS!

3-0. A cracking start.

That was quite an emotional game last night. Glad to see the Saints win, and glad to see "619" Bush play well in limited chances again. But they've got to figure out a way to get him more touches. Deuce is a nice talent and all, but Reggie's in another class altogether.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #1121 on: September 27, 2006, 05:47:23 am »
Lots of NFL news tonight:

Terrell Owens was taken to a Dallas hospital for an undisclosed reason.  The latest on ESPN is that the doctors are trying to induce vomiting  :o :o :o

San Diego safety Terrence Kiel was arrested on drug charges, so the run-ins between Chargers players and the police continue.  Before the season, linebacker Steve Foley was shot up by San Diego cops.

Reigning NFL MVP Shaun Alexander has a cracked bone in his foot and is out.  There are conflicting reports regarding how long he will be on the shelf, from two to four weeks at the minimum to an indefinite period of time.

Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman will likely be suspended for the rest of the season after another run-in with the law.  Thurman, one of the best rookies in the league a year ago, was caught driving while intoxicated.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #1122 on: September 27, 2006, 06:59:13 am »

Offline merks

• Main Stander
« Reply #1123 on: September 27, 2006, 12:36:50 pm »
J    E     T     S! JETS JETS JETS!

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: September 27, 2006, 06:07:20 pm »
Lots of NFL news tonight:

Terrell Owens was taken to a Dallas hospital for an undisclosed reason.  The latest on ESPN is that the doctors are trying to induce vomiting  :o :o :o

San Diego safety Terrence Kiel was arrested on drug charges, so the run-ins between Chargers players and the police continue.  Before the season, linebacker Steve Foley was shot up by San Diego cops.

Reigning NFL MVP Shaun Alexander has a cracked bone in his foot and is out.  There are conflicting reports regarding how long he will be on the shelf, from two to four weeks at the minimum to an indefinite period of time.

Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman will likely be suspended for the rest of the season after another run-in with the law.  Thurman, one of the best rookies in the league a year ago, was caught driving while intoxicated.

As an update on the TO story, we now know that he tried to commit suicide by overdosing on painkillers.  I kid you not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #1125 on: September 27, 2006, 06:57:11 pm »
As an update on the TO story, we now know that he tried to commit suicide by overdosing on painkillers.  I kid you not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

By now, you've probably already heard about what happened: the hospitalization, the need to pump his stomach, and the allegations of an "attempted suicide" that his publicist has tried hard to denounce.

I wish the media would lay off the story (but of course they won't). If they are wrong, it's an embarassment to T.O. If they are right, it's a private pain that shouldn't be exploited in this way. A person's mind set can become so clouded by life and its pains sometimes that suicide seems the only reasonable way out (I speak from personal experience on this matter). He needs sympathy, prayers and counseling (if the reports are true). What he does not need is this ridiculous media hype.

Leave it alone, and here's hoping for a full recovery for T.O.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #1126 on: September 27, 2006, 10:02:27 pm »
SteeleRED mate, help me out on this one. In the earlier part of Jerome Bettis' career was he suspended from the NFL for violating the league's drug policy? It seems to ring a bell with me but would clearly have been whilst a member of St Louis if it happened at all. I know for a fact that Bruce Smith was suspended for cocaine possession some years ago but we're not sure over here if Bettis himself also got nicked. Any idea? Ta.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: September 28, 2006, 01:10:03 am »
Personally think the TO suicide thing is bullshit.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1128 on: October 1, 2006, 10:12:11 pm »
My Saints were well unlucky tonight, I thought. That game could've gone either way. I think they will certainly win more than they lose this year, though, which will be a pleasant change.

Watching the Patriots at the Bengals at the moment. Looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty close game.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #1129 on: October 2, 2006, 01:00:40 am »
My Saints were well unlucky tonight, I thought. That game could've gone either way. I think they will certainly win more than they lose this year, though, which will be a pleasant change.

Watching the Patriots at the Bengals at the moment. Looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty close game.

:)

Go Pats.  What a performance.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1130 on: October 2, 2006, 07:41:01 am »
Another Dolphins defeat against a shite team.  :butt

I had high hopes that the offensive struggles would be put t rest this year, despite the O line not being the best. Ahh well, there's always next season 'cos the playoffs are gone already...

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: October 2, 2006, 12:01:33 pm »
Now only three teams that are 4-0. Only one left in NFC.

Colts
Ravens
Bears
  ;D

Can't wait for next Sunday to watch Da Bears up close vs Buffalo to see how good they are. Personally think they will be in the NFC Championship game but then again who knows? Grossman might get smashed with Griese and before long Orton is steering the ship.  ;)

And then the last game being the small insignificant occasion of  TO's return to Philly  :lickin

Best highlight reel moment of the weekend was the last 4 secs of the Jets-Colts game. BAsically they run a trick play and as time has expired they keep off loading the ball to each other. Looked like a gam of rugby. They got quite far to the endzone until some Colt ruined all the fun and recovered a 'fumble'  :no

Miami look poo...
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #1132 on: October 2, 2006, 01:53:59 pm »
Miami look are poo...

>:( Houston? I mean, really.

I'm due in Chicago in a two weeks, was looking forward to seeing the Bears in action but they have a bye week. Ah well, have to make do with the Fins hosting Green Bay... has a game ever finished 0-0 before...?  ;)

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #1133 on: October 2, 2006, 01:55:17 pm »
Does anyone else feel that the Overtime situation in the American Football rules are ridiculous?

I'm a Redskins fan (if as a seven year old I'd have realise they are the largest franchise in American sport I'd have gone for someone else) and the game last night just fell to farse.  A crackingly matched game decided by a coin toss.  I have no doubt that if we'd have had to kick we'd have lost.  Does nobody in America realise/mind this - has it ever been different?

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1134 on: October 2, 2006, 02:13:50 pm »
I know a few years ago there was a stat saying that it didn't make much difference if you won or lost the toss in OT didn't make that much of a difference to whether you won it or not

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: October 2, 2006, 08:03:17 pm »
...have to make do with the Fins hosting Green Bay...

That's the game you get? Two teams of utter shit? Oh well - Daunte might actually look quick that week ;)

Offline RI-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • What the fuck is Goony Goo Goo?
« Reply #1136 on: October 2, 2006, 08:08:13 pm »
...A crackingly matched game decided by a coin toss.  I have no doubt that if we'd have had to kick we'd have lost.  Does nobody in America realise/mind this - has it ever been different?

So you must be too young to remember this then!  ;)

A coin toss took place in the 1964-5 European Cup quarter-finals, after Liverpool and Cologne played out two dour 0-0 draws and then a 2-2 after a play-off in Amsterdam. Ron Yeats guessed right in the centre circle, as befitting a man who won more 50-50s than most.

8)
« Last Edit: October 2, 2006, 08:12:27 pm by RI-Red »
That ginger haired twat looks like a proper manc c*nt!

Offline flamingapeshead

• Main Stander
« Reply #1137 on: October 2, 2006, 10:43:44 pm »
bills shockingly won again! :o

reaching the giddy heights of 2-2!

hopefully can keep it up against da bears next week but i'm not getting too hopeful

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #1138 on: October 3, 2006, 08:45:05 am »
So you must be too young to remember this then!  ;)

A coin toss took place in the 1964-5 European Cup quarter-finals, after Liverpool and Cologne played out two dour 0-0 draws and then a 2-2 after a play-off in Amsterdam. Ron Yeats guessed right in the centre circle, as befitting a man who won more 50-50s than most.

8)

Yes; I am too young to remember that.  I do know that we won one and lost one on the toss of a coin.

Phil, interesting stat.  Certainly easier to believe in the low scoring games where defense has dominated, but I can't believe it in high scoring games myself (though a big statistical proof would satisfy me).

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #1139 on: October 3, 2006, 10:02:55 am »
That's the game you get? Two teams of utter shit? Oh well - Daunte might actually look quick that week ;)

Actually, no-one will want to televise that will they, unless it's for a bloopers show! We'll be watching whatever's on in the bars I suppose. The Colts host the Redskins on the 22nd, that should see a few points on the board...
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1140 on: October 3, 2006, 03:30:26 pm »
I know the Packers and Favre are piss poor, but was McNabb good last night or what?  Or are Rush Limbaugh and like minded individual still right - McNabb is an overrated QB?

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: October 3, 2006, 04:12:59 pm »

Daunte better get benched or I'm not watching NFL anymore 'cos I will start to believe there is a bung culture rife....:wink

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: October 3, 2006, 08:18:35 pm »
I personally think McNabb is awesome and is doing brilliantly following last year's injury and TO crap he had to deal with.

They showed a stat during the Monday night game and it shwed a comparison between him and Favre in their first 91 games as starters and they were almost identical except... McNabb had more wins and more Championship games.
Whether Donovan goes on to establish himself in the same league as Favre is doubtful but it seemed an interesting point. He certainly has the potential to be as good as he wants to be (although production might drop if Brown, Stallworth and Westbrook's injuries are bad)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1143 on: October 3, 2006, 08:47:42 pm »
I think right now Stallworth and Westbrook are both pretty fucked.

Reed has mismanaged in my opinion:
1. Letting Duece Staley go
2. Didn't handle the Owens situation well
3. Replacing Mahon with Garcia at second QB? Come on.

I do have respect for him, as he is a great coach.  But I  think he has been fucking up lately.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: October 4, 2006, 12:56:13 am »
Back to even in the fantasy league, at least...my team was PATHETIC the first two weeks but they're finally cranking it up the way they always do...

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: October 8, 2006, 10:21:59 pm »
Reggie Bush has officially arrived in the NFL.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: October 8, 2006, 10:33:56 pm »
Can't wait to see his punt return.

This Bear team is getting predictable... ;)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: October 8, 2006, 10:35:02 pm »

Indeed he has. Get in. My Saints are grinding the results out - 4-1. Tough test to come next week, though. I haven't seen a replay of Reggie's 65 yard punt return yet, but I'm guessing it was pretty good. Much more to come, I hope, and Deuce certainly seems to be benefiting from Bush's arrival too.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: October 8, 2006, 10:38:05 pm »
Indeed he has. Get in. My Saints are grinding the results out - 4-1. Tough test to come next week, though. I haven't seen a replay of Reggie's 65 yard punt return yet, but I'm guessing it was pretty good. Much more to come, I hope, and Deuce certainly seems to be benefiting from Bush's arrival too.

Was good. Noo Orleans crowd went nuts.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1149 on: October 8, 2006, 10:43:15 pm »

Reggie has been steadily gettin' better since opening day. The kid could be big if he keeps it up.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: October 8, 2006, 10:49:16 pm »
Colts, Ravens and Bears are now the only teams in the NFL to remain unbeaten. The Bears look the most impressive outfit I've seen so far.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1151 on: October 8, 2006, 10:53:39 pm »
Colts, Ravens and Bears are now the only teams in the NFL to remain unbeaten. The Bears look the most impressive outfit I've seen so far.

Definately agree, their defence looks so tight. Colts its to be expected with more than the Bears, and I have a feeling the Ravens streak will end tomorrow at Denver.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: October 8, 2006, 10:55:19 pm »
Reggie has been steadily gettin' better since opening day. The kid could be big if he keeps it up.

He's King of Noo Orleans now.

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1153 on: October 8, 2006, 10:56:39 pm »
nfl.com has got a vid of the scoring highlights from the Saints - Bucs game up already, under the Headlines section

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1154 on: October 8, 2006, 10:58:56 pm »
He's King of Noo Orleans now.

You just gotta laugh at Houston at a time like this.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: October 8, 2006, 11:03:52 pm »
You just gotta laugh at Houston at a time like this.

Yes, they aren't looking all that smart at Texan's FO.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1156 on: October 8, 2006, 11:04:38 pm »
My fantasy team is cleanin' up this week with the Bears defence, Brady, Reggie Williams, L.J. Smith, Marv Harrison and Deuce McAllister.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: October 8, 2006, 11:43:35 pm »
nfl.com has got a vid of the scoring highlights from the Saints - Bucs game up already, under the Headlines section

Superb highlights package there. Amazing running drom Deuce and Reggie.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1158 on: October 9, 2006, 12:40:40 am »
Superb highlights package there. Amazing running drom Deuce and Reggie.

Shepard just intercepted and ran the field for a late TD for the Eagles, almost blew it at the end.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #1159 on: October 9, 2006, 01:00:53 am »
philly look very good this year i think, defense tightens up and they could go far, mcnabb has been top notch so far, should be another good game against NO next week.

KC let em down on the handicap after failing to get in from 3 yards but good come from behnd win 14-0 early on.

and another bad day at the office for favre :P sorry :wave
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci