Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1400095 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3240 on: January 26, 2019, 11:32:42 pm »
Yeah can't keep bringing up past sides when they have nothing to do with this current one. We've gone from strength to strength under Klopp.

Exactly. If we don’t win the league, it’s not because we bottled it, it is because we’re in a title race with a side that broke the record points total last season, and it looks like it’s going to take a similar points total to win the league this season. United won the league with 75 points one season. We’re 5 wins from that with 15 to go. We’re up against a financial behemoth that was expected to walk the league again this season and go on to be the best PL side we’ve seen. Whatever they say, they weren’t expecting this from us.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline U-238A

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3241 on: January 27, 2019, 12:06:36 am »
This is likely to be an unpopular opinion on here, but I think the ‘financial doping’ side of things is massively overstated. Obviously it makes you competitive, but City had won 2 league titles before Guardiola showed up, its the manager whose turned them into this juggernqugjt more than it is the money, arguably their best players were either already there when Guardiola was appointed, or weren’t signed for ridiculous sums either.

As much as City are dislikable for where their money comes from, which is a different subject entirely, I find it hard to get too up in arms about the money they spend when the game as a whole has reached such ludicrous levels.

This season you’re seeing two amazing footballing sides fighting out the most competitive title race in years, arguably ever. That should be the focus, rather than point scoring with each other over who has the moral high ground on it.

It is very much a matter of - and only matter of - where the money comes from. That's the gripe everyone has. No one calls our and Man U's spending financial doping because it's money generated by the club itself.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3242 on: January 27, 2019, 02:29:26 am »
Make no mistake, the money flooding the game nowadays comes straight from gambling.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3243 on: January 27, 2019, 01:18:40 pm »
Everton city 6th feb

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3244 on: January 27, 2019, 01:20:10 pm »
Good stuff, will still likely lose but the earlier that game was the better, be a waste of time in April or May.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3245 on: January 27, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »
Seems a bit odd a game has been moved forward 3 weeks. Has that happened before? They're normally put back to be played at a later date.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3246 on: January 27, 2019, 01:34:14 pm »
Everton city 6th feb

29th January - Newcastle (A)
3rd Feb - Arsenal (H)
6th Feb - Everton (A)
10th Feb - Chelsea (H)

February is shaping up to be a tasty month.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3247 on: January 27, 2019, 01:34:40 pm »
We have a gap between the Bournemouth and Utd game, is that due to the FA Cup or is there a pesky international break coming up?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3248 on: January 27, 2019, 01:35:43 pm »
3rd Feb - Arsenal (H)
6th Feb - Everton (A)
10th Feb - Chelsea (H)

We'll be playing Leicester, WH and Bournemouth in the same period.
Must win them all, we just have to as these fuckers will slip up at least once.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3249 on: January 27, 2019, 01:44:03 pm »
3rd Feb - Arsenal (H)
6th Feb - Everton (A)
10th Feb - Chelsea (H)

Chelsea is the only game they might drop points in. Although they'll probably win that too.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3250 on: January 27, 2019, 01:51:42 pm »
We have a gap between the Bournemouth and Utd game, is that due to the FA Cup or is there a pesky international break coming up?

No International Break. FA Cup & we have a CL meeting with Bayern between those fixtures.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3251 on: January 27, 2019, 01:54:02 pm »
Chelsea is the only game they might drop points in. Although they'll probably win that too.

Exactly

Chelsea Vs Man City
Man City Vs Everton
Man City Vs Palace
Leicester Vs Man City

Much the same, Chelsea was the only game they might have dropped points in and even then they probably won that too.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3252 on: January 27, 2019, 01:54:35 pm »
Can't believe the amount of rest we get compared to Utd before that game.

Fucking joke to be honest.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3253 on: January 27, 2019, 02:29:48 pm »
Exactly

Chelsea Vs Man City
Man City Vs Everton
Man City Vs Palace
Leicester Vs Man City

Much the same, Chelsea was the only game they might have dropped points in and even then they probably won that too.

;D

I like to convince myself they will win every game. For me, it's better than going into a game with some hope they'll lose or draw, and they end up winning 5-0

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3254 on: January 27, 2019, 02:31:25 pm »

It’s uefa’s fault for spreading the knockout stages.

Offline 4EverRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #3255 on: January 27, 2019, 03:17:28 pm »
3rd Feb - Arsenal (H)
6th Feb - Everton (A)
10th Feb - Chelsea (H)

If city could draw two of these games however unlikely it maybe then this would give us a serious chance. I’d rather they play the bitters sooner rather than later too so this fixture change could work in our favour!

Realistically can only see them dropping points v Chelsea as this will be their 4th game in 13 days...here’s hoping they drop a shit load more points

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #3256 on: January 27, 2019, 03:54:46 pm »
Seems a bit odd a game has been moved forward 3 weeks. Has that happened before? They're normally put back to be played at a later date.

Wouldn't be enough free non champions league weeks to rearrange all their league games if they got to the fa cup semi-finals. According to someone in another thread, premier league games can be played on champions league nights but with a fine, and I guess then it also wouldn't be on TV.

Lucky for us is that Brighton have an FA cup replay that week, meaning that Chelsea's game didn't get rearranged for the same midweek, so they'll have a rest before they play City.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3257 on: January 27, 2019, 04:13:44 pm »
I have to say that is a nice surprise. I was expecting the Everton game to be played in April. Now i'm not expecting dropped points but at the very least there is a 5% greater chance of something odd occurring with it being played on a winter's night and at a point in the season when they won't be on a early summer break. Yeh i know what the jokes is, they're already on a early summer break!

Even if it is a City win, the fact they're playing midweek before they face Chelsea is a good thing.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3258 on: January 27, 2019, 06:01:36 pm »
Sokratis ruled out for a month. Any hope Arsenal were going to nick something from City now gone.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3259 on: January 27, 2019, 06:46:05 pm »
Sokratis ruled out for a month. Any hope Arsenal were going to nick something from City now gone.

Their chance was never with their defence. They’ll concede a pair at least, but on a good offensive day they may just score a couple. So as long as Ramsey, Aubameyang and Lacazette are fit - they have a chance.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3260 on: January 27, 2019, 07:42:36 pm »
Everton city 6th feb

Grand National day.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3261 on: January 27, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
Grand National day.

Good old Grand National Wednesdays.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3262 on: January 27, 2019, 08:50:24 pm »
Good old Grand National Wednesdays.

You going?

Just realised  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3263 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:30 pm »

Aye, I was looking at that game thinking ‘Arsenal are usually good away from home against the top six, especially if they’ve got that slow CB available who got torn to ribbons at Anfield’

They always had about as much chance as Huddersfield in that one
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3264 on: January 27, 2019, 09:42:53 pm »
3rd Feb - Arsenal (H)
6th Feb - Everton (A)
10th Feb - Chelsea (H)

If they get 12 points then fair fucks.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3265 on: January 27, 2019, 10:20:05 pm »
Chelsea's their only difficult fixture there IMO and I expect them to get 9 points in the first 3 games.

Of course, any game can be a potential banana skin but as long as we keep winning doesn't matter what City do really.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3266 on: January 27, 2019, 11:13:40 pm »

5 days between matches isn't exactly unreasonable and we'll be coming out of a pretty light schedule before the Bayern game. To be honest I think I prefer our schedule to United's. This isn't the sort of game you want too long to ponder ahead of time. Coming in off the back of a stern test should serve us well.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3267 on: January 28, 2019, 01:22:13 am »

I’ll be absolutely flabbergasted if Arsenal got anything at the Etihad. It’s a really good time to play them right now and I can see City winning that by 3 goals.

I know you never know what can happen as Palace and Leicester showed but Arsenal are really bad right now. Chelsea is our best shot at them dropping points because they’ll want to play well as a dress rehearsal for the cup final, and that game is at the end of that stretch. They’ll beat Everton in my IMO for the same reasons as Arsenal. As for Newcastle away, I really don’t know. Newcastle need points, but City are just so superior to them. Hoping Rafa can pull off a masterclass.
YWNA

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3268 on: January 28, 2019, 03:54:12 am »
Still surprised at Pep's continuing insistence on playing his main players in the game against Burton and again in the FA Cup.

Don't blame them for wanting to try and win every competition they're in, but surely he could have rested more than he did, and it jeopardises their challenge for the league and CL most probably. I don't think any picked up immediate injuries, but there's the cumulative effect from playing games. With the squad depth they have I just find it surprising, and hope it comes back to bite them.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3269 on: January 28, 2019, 04:14:42 am »
Still surprised at Pep's continuing insistence on playing his main players in the game against Burton and again in the FA Cup.

Don't blame them for wanting to try and win every competition they're in, but surely he could have rested more than he did, and it jeopardises their challenge for the league and CL most probably. I don't think any picked up immediate injuries, but there's the cumulative effect from playing games. With the squad depth they have I just find it surprising, and hope it comes back to bite them.

Guardiola is a proponent of tactical periodization, though. His players get a lot more rest than ours would, say.

Also, supplements ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3270 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:34 am »
Exactly

Chelsea Vs Man City
Man City Vs Everton
Man City Vs Palace
Leicester Vs Man City

We need to make sure we win our games, because they're going to have a game in hand on us for a while.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3271 on: January 28, 2019, 08:26:16 am »
We just need to concentrate on what we do every game, and try to win every game. City can't do a thing if we do that.

As a side issue, someone showed me an advert from a Spanish website, offering two tickets for Liverpool v Wolves (last game of the season at Anfield) citing "potently the biggest game in Liverpools history for 29 years", and asking for £11,900, and that is not a mis-type, eleven thousand, nine hundred pounds.

Surely the Club could investigate because it can only be a season ticket holder(s) and if found they deserve everything coming their way - leeches.
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3272 on: January 28, 2019, 09:26:17 am »
You could class this as clutching at straws but the weather doesn't look good in Newcastle on Tuesday:
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/prepare-ice-strong-winds-met-15736113
https://www.bbc.com/weather/2641673

The Geordies will be in shirtsleeves or shirtless but how will the ice and wind affect the free passing team who usually have it easy?
I've seen a lot of ice and wind affected games end up 0-0.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #3273 on: January 28, 2019, 09:56:06 am »
We just need to concentrate on what we do every game, and try to win every game. City can't do a thing if we do that.

As a side issue, someone showed me an advert from a Spanish website, offering two tickets for Liverpool v Wolves (last game of the season at Anfield) citing "potently the biggest game in Liverpools history for 29 years", and asking for £11,900, and that is not a mis-type, eleven thousand, nine hundred pounds.

Surely the Club could investigate because it can only be a season ticket holder(s) and if found they deserve everything coming their way - leeches.

I hate these stories, I remember the same stories for the final game of the season a few years back. Long way off it, yet!

Online Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3274 on: January 28, 2019, 10:18:28 am »

They have an FA  Cup tie the weekend before. We have that weekend off before Bayern Munich on the Tuesday. If they get a tough draw in the FA Cup and have a 2nd leg against PSG a few days after playing us, our game may not be the biggest game in terms of their season.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #3275 on: January 28, 2019, 10:50:34 am »
3rd Feb - Arsenal (H)
6th Feb - Everton (A)
10th Feb - Chelsea (H)

This run of games looks vital to me. If they get 12 points from that it will be a real boost for them and a bit of a hit for us to be honest. I assume Chelsea will have a full week off before they play City?Hopefully the Everton game being rearranged for in the week before takes a bit of sharpness out of them.
Internet terrorist

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3276 on: January 28, 2019, 11:19:48 am »
This run of games looks vital to me. If they get 12 points from that it will be a real boost for them and a bit of a hit for us to be honest. I assume Chelsea will have a full week off before they play City?Hopefully the Everton game being rearranged for in the week before takes a bit of sharpness out of them.

Not if we continue to win our matches it won't be. But this is the problem with people who keep on looking ahead all of the time and worrying about what City are going to do. Take each game as it comes, don't even think about what City may or may not do. Just concentrate on ourselves we cannot influence what happens with City but we can with our own team. Otherwise we may as well hand the title over now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3277 on: January 28, 2019, 11:25:25 am »
Not if we continue to win our matches it won't be. But this is the problem with people who keep on looking ahead all of the time and worrying about what City are going to do. Take each game as it comes, don't even think about what City may or may not do. Just concentrate on ourselves we cannot influence what happens with City but we can with our own team. Otherwise we may as well hand the title over now.
Yes indeed. 

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3278 on: January 28, 2019, 11:31:45 am »

Exactly. 15 wins to go, City is irrelevant.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3279 on: January 28, 2019, 11:57:59 am »

The amount of points they get from those games means nothing to our players. It may mean a bit to us as fans, but it's completely irrelevant to what we do.

They are going to drop points before the end of the season. We just have to drop 3, possibly 4, less. Simple.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.