Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2492100 times)

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Sancho or Mbappe?

Not even close... Mbappe is already an incredible player and many would argue is the best in the world at the moment

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Not even close... Mbappe is already an incredible player and many would argue is the best in the world at the moment

And will be a Real Madrid player come August.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Sancho or Mbappe?

I have the sneaky feeling that our scouts are working on finding the next Sancho or Mbappe far more than signing any of those tow. I would love to see either of them in a red shirt, but I'm considering this a pipe dream. People might argue how the finances would work, and I'm not good with finances, but the first and foremost purpose of those in charge is to establish us as a top club. Sure we think we are, sure we got to two CL finals and had two close run-ins on the title, but we won one of each of those. If we had won the two Big Ears and the two league titles, things might have looked much differently and then maybe Mbappe and Sancho would have been the types of players we'd go after every season. Who knows...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
I have the sneaky feeling that our scouts are working on finding the next Sancho or Mbappe far more than signing any of those tow. I would love to see either of them in a red shirt, but I'm considering this a pipe dream. People might argue how the finances would work, and I'm not good with finances, but the first and foremost purpose of those in charge is to establish us as a top club. Sure we think we are, sure we got to two CL finals and had two close run-ins on the title, but we won one of each of those. If we had won the two Big Ears and the two league titles, things might have looked much differently and then maybe Mbappe and Sancho would have been the types of players we'd go after every season. Who knows...

Such a tired cliche at this point, if our scouts were working on finding the VVD or the next Alisson solely without signing the actual players in the first place we wouldn’t have won a PL or a CL. Even the new Sancho or new Mbappe are worth 30 m by the time they make their first move, these are two players who have been producing near top class levels since 18, Mbappe at 18 was a Cl semi Finalist, Sancho at 19 was one of the most productive wingers in the world.

The idea is you try to do both, we’re also not working on being a big club, we are a big club one that is according to Forbes at least in the top 5 most valuable clubs in the world, we are not Dortmund with all due respect.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Such a tired cliche at this point, if our scouts were working on finding the VVD or the next Alisson solely without signing the actual players in the first place we wouldn’t have won a PL or a CL. Even the new Sancho or new Mbappe are worth 30 m by the time they make their first move, these are two players who have been producing near top class levels since 18, Mbappe at 18 was a Cl semi Finalist, Sancho at 19 was one of the most productive wingers in the world.

The idea is you try to do both, we’re also not working on being a big club, we are a big club one that is according to Forbes at least in the top 5 most valuable clubs in the world, we are not Dortmund with all due respect.
First of all, I said that they'd be working more on finding new talent, not that they will only do that. Of course, we'd have to spend big money for big talent, but what I was trying to convey is that as a club we are more inclined to spend £20-£30m on the next Mbappe rather than £200m on the current one. We did spend big money on Virg and Ali, because they were the missing elements that completely transformed the club. Now we have an established system with balanced squad that may be ageing a bit. I'd think that we'd be looking to make more than one change this summer - CB, LB, RB, CM and F. That's not a situation where we'd want to blow all the dough on one player.

I think it's more likely than not that we've missed the boat on Mbappe and Sancho (who would not have been an option straight from City). Same goes for Haaland (and I'm glad 'cause his agent is a cnut). But maybe Daka would be that next Haaland...

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
First of all, I said that they'd be working more on finding new talent, not that they will only do that. Of course, we'd have to spend big money for big talent, but what I was trying to convey is that as a club we are more inclined to spend £20-£30m on the next Mbappe rather than £200m on the current one. We did spend big money on Virg and Ali, because they were the missing elements that completely transformed the club. Now we have an established system with balanced squad that may be ageing a bit. I'd think that we'd be looking to make more than one change this summer - CB, LB, RB, CM and F. That's not a situation where we'd want to blow all the dough on one player.

I think it's more likely than not that we've missed the boat on Mbappe and Sancho (who would not have been an option straight from City). Same goes for Haaland (and I'm glad 'cause his agent is a cnut). But maybe Daka would be that next Haaland...

Daka would not be the next Haaland...

And Sancho won’t cost 200 m either, he’ll be in the region of around 70-80m if I was guessing about 30-40 m more than Jota which is more than reasonable given the fact he is not only 3 years younger but also accomplished a lot more. Even Mbappe will only have a year on his contract after this season.

Yes we have an established squad but you can’t keep still, you have to keep moving forward, this is how you have a sustained period of success like Bayern like Man United, there was times we actually outspent United in the 90’s and early 00’s but Ferguson always knew when to add a Rooney or Ferdinand expensive at the time but more than worth their price in retrospect given their time and success at the club. Always using the caveat of looking for the next big thing rather than the actual big thing comes across a bit Arsenal or Dortmund ish and these clubs never have sustained decades worth of success, the whole idea of getting to this point was so we can spend an extra bit more for the missing pieces like we did for VVD Alisson and Keita.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
I wouldn’t minds player like  Cunha as a punt, but I don’t see many players like that with that type of value on the market, even a Neto or Raphina would probably  be 20-30m less than a player like Sancho.

I remember we missed out on Cristiano because we wouldn’t pay a what looked a exorbitant 12 m fee for a relatively inexperienced 18 year old, United did and the rest is history.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We need more than one player in key positions. I'd much rather we buy the right first-choice CB, RB and LB to avoid burning out Trent and Robo, and a forward than splashing on Sancho. Now, if we can afford all of that plus Sancho, I'm all for it. But to me the balance is more important than a single player.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
We need more than one player in key positions. I'd much rather we buy the right first-choice CB, RB and LB to avoid burning out Trent and Robo, and a forward than splashing on Sancho. Now, if we can afford all of that plus Sancho, I'm all for it. But to me the balance is more important than a single player.

If money is an issue then id rather buy the best attacker we could sign than buy a worse attacker but back up full backs. The question is will a top attacker return more points than a worse attacker and a backup full back? I would suspect he would.

Also we have a back up left back that we signed and we do have a back up right back.

We need to prioritise two areas which is centreback and in attack. All the money we have should go to getting the best players we can in those positions because they will deliver the most points. Any other business should be done if we have money left.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
And will be a Real Madrid player come August.

He won't be, unless Real Madrid have been sold to banks outside of Spain.
If he's going there it would have to be on a free transfer in June 2022, again after major financial jiggery pokery in the Spanish capital.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'

You are right, although the Forbes list reflects the value of the club and not what's on the balance sheet.

However, you are still right. My argument has always been: you have only have 3 years left of Klopp - the peak manager for Liverpool and the squad is still in pretty good shape, so buy him a worldie who's established NOW and reap the rewards over the next 3 years...establishing Liverpool for the next 10 years.

Of course, they may decide a Daka is the best option for the forward line, all I'm saying is if we can a shot at Sancho, or even one of the bigger ones. Perhaps we do it.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Barcelona and Real Madrid are vulnerable right now and we could get finance ourselves, so maybe you strike HARD.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
We will sign a wide forward this summer.

Why?

Because of the AFCON.

We will also sign a CB and a midfielder. There you go.  Debate over.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Why?

Because of the AFCON.

No arguing there, you're definitely a master debater

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Why?

Because of the AFCON.

Laptop Tepid.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Why?

Because of the AFCON.

This is where I'm at too. Still unconvinced we'll be in the market for an out-and-out striker when we have Salah and Jota (not to mention Firmino).

Konate, Aouar and Sancho, oh my.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If Daka is available for £17m then surely we look to bring him in? I think he would be worth the risk.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If Daka is available for £17m then surely we look to bring him in? I think he would be worth the risk.

I think he's nailed on for Leipzig, especially if Nagelsmann leaves and Marsch makes the move from Austria to Germany.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
Not all about risk.
You dont want another Minamino.
We need a more proven forward from one of the top leagues.

It will cost more. But if we want to challenge City again we have to spend big money of 3 players to go into the first 11.

Konate is a good start.

The fact is atm we are a miles off City. The game in February showed that we created very little.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not all about risk.

It will cost more. But if we want to challenge City again we have to spend big money of 3 players to go into the first 11.

Konate is a good start.

The fact is atm we are a miles off City. The game in February showed that we created very little.
There is no way we are miles off City. If we didn’t have the injuries we’ve had this season we would be a lot closer. Agreed we don’t want another Minamino but there is an element of risk with every transfer. If Daka is available for £17m then he is definitely worth the risk IMO, he’s young and cheap enough to move on should he not make the grade. Somebody mentioned above the Ronaldo transfer and how we didn’t want to pay that bit extra, can also use Haaland as an example, Dortmund picked him up on the cheap and will make an absolute killing on him now. I know it’s not as easy for us but I would rather we took a punt before the player erupts in to a star.

A more proven forward from one of the established leagues is going to cost an fortune, not sure how much money we have in the kitty but Daka certainly makes more sense than Olly Watkins for example  :)

I think he's nailed on for Leipzig, especially if Nagelsmann leaves and Marsch makes the move from Austria to Germany.
I think we can convince him to come here ahead of the competition. Some quotes below, let’s hope he’s not taking a page out of Robbie Keanes book and supports every team in the world.

Salzburg striker Patson Daka has told 90Min that he supported Liverpool as a child and sees Luis Suarez as his inspiration.
“I’ve always been a Liverpool fan – and Barcelona.

“When we played Liverpool last season in the Champions League at Anfield it was a very special moment."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:10:15 am by rawcusk8 »
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
There is no way we are miles off City. If we didn’t have the injuries we’ve had this season we would be a lot closer.

I agree about the injuries. If we didn't sustain major injuries then we'd certainly be much closer to City. Whether ahead or still behind is unknown. I think Top 4 wouldn't be an issue.

I think the question about being miles off City is a difficult one to answer since this season has raised so many Q marks about our team and certain players. Can the key central defenders return to fitness and regain their previous form after such long injuries? What about players who have dipped this season? Can Mane and Firmino return to their 2017-20 form? All the players are are year older and in a lot of cases approaching 30 and only 2 years left on their contract. Is that a factor in our thinking and ability to close the gap in the short term? You've also got the likes of Tsimikas, Williams, AOC, Keita, Origi, Shaqiri who have equal or more Q marks about their long term future compared to a year ago. Also you can question their ability to be a contributor to the team in a short and long term manner more so than 9 months ago. That's without mentioning the impact the Olympics and AFCON may have on us next season (c.f. City).

The above doesn't mean we can't be close to City next season and that this season is indicative of the difference in quality. Van Dijk and others could come back and be brilliant. Mane, Firmino, TAA, Robertson, etc could return to form. Injuries may be less and some of the squad players may step up. However, I think it's hard to say with any confidence that we are either close to City or miles off currently since there is some many big Q marks hanging over this squad currently.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
I agree about the injuries. If we didn't sustain major injuries then we'd certainly be much closer to City. Whether ahead or still behind is unknown. I think Top 4 wouldn't be an issue.

I think the question about being miles off City is a difficult one to answer since this season has raised so many Q marks about our team and certain players. Can the key central defenders return to fitness and regain their previous form after such long injuries? What about players who have dipped this season? Can Mane and Firmino return to their 2017-20 form? All the players are are year older and in a lot of cases approaching 30 and only 2 years left on their contract. Is that a factor in our thinking and ability to close the gap in the short term? You've also got the likes of Tsimikas, Williams, AOC, Keita, Origi, Shaqiri who have equal or more Q marks about their long term future compared to a year ago. Also you can question their ability to be a contributor to the team in a short and long term manner more so than 9 months ago. That's without mentioning the impact the Olympics and AFCON may have on us next season (c.f. City).

The above doesn't mean we can't be close to City next season and that this season is indicative of the difference in quality. Van Dijk and others could come back and be brilliant. Mane, Firmino, TAA, Robertson, etc could return to form. Injuries may be less and some of the squad players may step up. However, I think it's hard to say with any confidence that we are either close to City or miles off currently since there is some many big Q marks hanging over this squad currently.

Yep. If the squad stays as it is, even with just one centreback brought in, I think its very difficult to confidently say now that we can get to a level of around 85-90 points, which is what we need to target to compete or win the league.

There are not only question marks around the likes of Van Dijk, Gomez, Mane and Firmino but also players like Henderson and Salah. What if they hit a dip or the injuries that have been accumulating for Henderson catch up with him? How do we cope without Wijnaldum and what if we hit a injury crisis in midfield? How do we up the number of goals our attack get?

Ultimately its a summer where we will have to inject some new, young players and real quality into it and not just to try to answer those questions but for overall squad building.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:45:54 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
He’s outshone Mbappe and Neymar so far, would be difficult to prize him away from Bayern but I hope we at least try.

He’s never been sold for a transfer fee, and his contract is up in the summer. It’s destiny!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
Is the Neto injury confirmed ACL? If so I think that's him off the table this summer. Rafinha most likely now if we go for another forward is my guess. 
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
Is the Neto injury confirmed ACL? If so I think that's him off the table this summer. Rafinha most likely now if we go for another forward is my guess.
Linked with him in the Echo again (shite source these days I know). I don't think he'll be the outlier Salah or Jota are but he would be a very interesting addition to the squad. Kinda like an upgraded Shaqiri perhaps?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
No exact confirmation but Wolves described it as a 'significant injury to the patella,' so maybe fractured his kneecap? If that is the case, 6-8 weeks with no load bearing, then possibly anywhere between 8 - 12 weeks before he can start to run again after some rehab. They sound mildly positive in what I've read so maybe available/training fully for the start of next season?

I don't think the appetite would be there to spend a large fee on a player we know might not be available until some time into next season and would have to put through a limited medical because of the pre-existing injury. I don't think he moves this summer now.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
There is no way we are miles off City. If we didn’t have the injuries we’ve had this season we would be a lot closer. Agreed we don’t want another Minamino but there is an element of risk with every transfer. If Daka is available for £17m then he is definitely worth the risk IMO, he’s young and cheap enough to move on should he not make the grade. Somebody mentioned above the Ronaldo transfer and how we didn’t want to pay that bit extra, can also use Haaland as an example, Dortmund picked him up on the cheap and will make an absolute killing on him now. I know it’s not as easy for us but I would rather we took a punt before the player erupts in to a star.

A more proven forward from one of the established leagues is going to cost an fortune, not sure how much money we have in the kitty but Daka certainly makes more sense than Olly Watkins for example  :)
I think we can convince him to come here ahead of the competition. Some quotes below, let’s hope he’s not taking a page out of Robbie Keanes book and supports every team in the world.

Salzburg striker Patson Daka has told 90Min that he supported Liverpool as a child and sees Luis Suarez as his inspiration.

“When we played Liverpool last season in the Champions League at Anfield it was a very special moment."
I think this summer we need to spend big on a forward.

a 17m or a cheaper signing for midfield I wouldnt mind at all but think a top quality forward is badly needed.
Like for instance we dont get Bissouma & get someone cheaper.

Konate will cost 28-30(latest figures), Which if we get him is a good deal for a defender of his talent.
Fofana last summer cost 30m & isnt as good imo.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
Its a shame for Neto he is a very good player and he is one who I think could play for us.

I dont think he has done his ACL as report I saw said 5-6 months out but it is obviously not good.

On the positive for Wolves they not go down and then there is pre season so he could be back if all goes well October/November.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
I think this summer we need to spend big on a forward.

For context what is spending big on a forward?

Another Jota style 40-45M type player? Or are we talking 70-80M plus outlay in your opinion?

Personally I'd go for 3 x 25-40M players this summer, if we can raise the requisite funds through sales. Centre back, strong athletic box to box midfielder plus a front 3 option. If we don't want to adapt how some of the existing forwards play I think the front 3 option either has to be No.9 type player or someone who can drop off (like Firmino). We either need someone who can be the focal point of the attack or someone who can drag centre backs about and create space for the 2 wide forwards to exploit as the come in centrally. My concern is that another Jota/Salah player would mean having 3 players who want to play on the shoulder of the last man and get in behind. Mane does this to a degree though we could play him deeper.The other option is that we make Salah the 'No.9' on occasions and buy someone to play wide right as more of a creator.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not all about risk.

Konate is a good start.

I wish we would have taken a risk with going for Haaland instead of Minamino back when we met them.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
#LFC are ‘really really’ keen to bring Ibrahima Konate in, but do you then trigger the option for Kabak as well? Or do you send him back to Schalke. [@JamesPearceLFC - @TheAthleticUK / The Red Agenda]

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

He shouldn't ask us. We want him to give us clues to what the club will do, not the other way around :)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
I wish we would have taken a risk with going for Haaland instead of Minamino back when we met them.

I don't think it would have happened. Sounds like Haaland, his entourage and Riola wanted to ensure his next step gave him a club where he would get game time but a much bigger window than RB Salzburg offered.

Think Dortmund is perfect in that regard. They play in a Top 5 league, regularly play KO in CL and are quite popular. Equally important they have a history of giving young players a chance and then selling those assets in the long run (for a profit).

In terms of Liverpool, the issue would have been (a) how much game time would he have been guaranteed at that point when the front 3 were flying and (b) would a move to Liverpool restrict his potential to move again 2-3 years down the line?

In retrospect, he would have forced his way into the front 3 given some of our struggles since. However, that was far from a slam dunk in January 2020.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:40:29 pm by Jookie »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Pretty sure Haaland had his pick of clubs and choose Dortmund. And it was a smart move. If I was Daka's agent I'd be angling for a move to Germany. Preferably Dortmund or Leipzig.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think it would have happened. Sounds like Haaland, his entourage and Riola wanted to ensure his next step gave him a club where he would get game time but a much bigger window than RB Salzburg offered.

Think Dortmund is perfect in that regard. They play in a Top 5 league, regularly play KO in CL and are quite popular. Equally important they have a history of giving young players a chance and then selling those assets in the long run (for a profit).

In terms of Liverpool, the issue would have been (a) how much game time would he have been guaranteed at that point when the front 3 were flying and (b) would a move to Liverpool restrict his potential to move again 2-3 years down the line?

In retrospect, he would have forced his way into the front 3 given some of our struggles since. However, that was far from a slam dunk in January 2020.

I don't think it would be as likely for him to come to us directly instead of Dortmund. In several senses, he and Raiola made a smart decision. But you can never know what might have happened if we pushed for it really hard.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dakas agent is Freddie Kanoute once of Tottenham and West Ham. Will surely be talking up the Premier League to him. Wheres that pesky it’s happening gif.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
Dakas agent is Freddie Kanoute once of Tottenham and West Ham. Will surely be talking up the Premier League to him. Wheres that pesky it’s happening gif.

If we dont go for him youd think Brighton or Southampton would be all over him.

He would get in their sides and his fee wont be beyond them

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If we dont go for him youd think Brighton or Southampton would be all over him.

He would get in their sides and his fee wont be beyond them

Southampton is a really good shout for Daka, especially with Hassenhuttl and the Red Bull connection.

Brighton won't be in for him as they're taking Origi from us in exchange for Bissouma.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.

Hedging his bets there ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
Hedging his bets there ;D

The new Robbie Keane.  "I've always supported Liverpool/Celtic/Spurs/LA Galaxy."
King Kenny.