Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370771 times)

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Television buying
« Reply #4640 on: October 16, 2014, 12:53:51 pm »

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4641 on: October 16, 2014, 01:20:56 pm »
Just purchased this beast - Samsung UE60H7000

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue60h7000-smart-3d-60-led-tv-22095618-pdt.html

Looking forward to watch the match on Sunday

Doubt that will get through the turnstile

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4642 on: October 16, 2014, 02:01:32 pm »
Just purchased this beast - Samsung UE60H7000

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue60h7000-smart-3d-60-led-tv-22095618-pdt.html

Looking forward to watch the match on Sunday

Found this useful to work what the model number of your Samsung TV means

Example:

UN55F8000AFXZA

U

U = LED

P = Plasma

L = LCD

H = DLP

K = OLED

N

N = North America

E= Europe

A = Asia

Size in inches

F

Model year

H = 2014

HU = 2014 UHD

F = 2013

E = 2012

D = 2011

C = 2010

B = 2009

A = 2008

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4643 on: October 16, 2014, 04:47:43 pm »
Anyone got a new TV from Curry's/Dixon's/PC World through whatever happens insurance? Got my TV 5 years ago, and it's starting to go a bit fuzzy when the picture changes, regardless of what I'm watching. Thought it may have been the Virgin box, but I checked using Xbox and it was the same. Tried 3 different HDMI cables and still the same, so it's a fault with the TV.

Just wondering if they can't fix it, do they give you a new TV for the price you paid for the first one, or judge the current value of the TV and allow me to get a new one with that?

I had to replace my laptop about 18 months ago and they give me back the price I paid for the first one, which I had about 2 years.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4644 on: October 17, 2014, 11:45:54 pm »
Thinking of getting a Sony 42 w7. I have this in my head cause I'm going to get a ps4 as well and this has the best input lag. The reason I bring this up is I always go for Panasonic's and am not sure what to go with led wise?

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #4645 on: October 19, 2014, 10:50:54 am »
Thinking of getting a Sony 42 w7. I have this in my head cause I'm going to get a ps4 as well and this has the best input lag. The reason I bring this up is I always go for Panasonic's and am not sure what to go with led wise?

This is a cracking TV.  I've got the 42w8 which is basically the same but with 3D.  I know a few with the 42w7 and they're very impressed with the picture quality.  These sets are great for gaming as well because of the lower input lag.  The menu system might not be as good as the samsungs or pannys but thepicture quality more than makes up for it.

theres an offer on the w8 series here http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-w8-series-full-hd-tv-with-free-ht-ct60bt-2-1-soundbar-amazon-edit-same-offer-2018767.  Not sure if w7 is included.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4646 on: October 19, 2014, 04:27:32 pm »
This is a cracking TV.  I've got the 42w8 which is basically the same but with 3D.  I know a few with the 42w7 and they're very impressed with the picture quality.  These sets are great for gaming as well because of the lower input lag.  The menu system might not be as good as the samsungs or pannys but thepicture quality more than makes up for it.

theres an offer on the w8 series here http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-w8-series-full-hd-tv-with-free-ht-ct60bt-2-1-soundbar-amazon-edit-same-offer-2018767.  Not sure if w7 is included.
Looks a great deal but I'm not interested in 3d and it's a bit out of my price range so I think I'll stick with the w7. Now I just need to decide what XBMC player is the best to get but that so far has been a harder decision.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4647 on: October 20, 2014, 09:03:47 am »
Anyone got a new TV from Curry's/Dixon's/PC World through whatever happens insurance? Got my TV 5 years ago, and it's starting to go a bit fuzzy when the picture changes, regardless of what I'm watching. Thought it may have been the Virgin box, but I checked using Xbox and it was the same. Tried 3 different HDMI cables and still the same, so it's a fault with the TV.

Just wondering if they can't fix it, do they give you a new TV for the price you paid for the first one, or judge the current value of the TV and allow me to get a new one with that?

I had to replace my laptop about 18 months ago and they give me back the price I paid for the first one, which I had about 2 years.

Pretty sure its an old for new , they will swap for a comparable one ie size and make . Many Years ago my brother bought this huge tv from Costco ( pre plasma / LCD ) for £1500 and it went faulty after a year . Costco told him they don't repair them just bring it back for a full refund ....walks in gets £1500 ...goes back in store and buys a better one for £500 !

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4648 on: October 28, 2014, 10:09:11 pm »

Ended up getting the W8 + soundbar with a stand for €750. Would have had to pay €630 for W7 alone anyway. Couldn't be happier so far to be honest. Now I just need a ps4 to go with it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:11:32 pm by MBL? »

Offline bobbyjames

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4649 on: October 28, 2014, 10:27:02 pm »
Also bought the Sony 42W8 at the weekend (along with the soundbar), very impressed so far. Will give the PS4 a run on it at some point this week when I get time.

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #4650 on: October 30, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
If you buy a Vizio - Get a long warranty

I bought a Vizio in the states after wanting a big TV for ages. To my mind the Vizio picture quality was better than comparable better manufacturers

it had a crap remote but it was several hundred bucks cheaper

13 months later and i have a nice blue line on screen

apparently a fairly expensive repair

feel so angry with myself.  i didnt buy a warranty as i thought these tvs were so much better made than they used to be

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4651 on: October 30, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »
Is it worth waiting till end of Dec to get a tv?

Looking for a 50" possibly this

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/sony-bravia-kdl50w706bsu-smart-50-led-tv-10023876-pdt.html

Dont see the point of 3d, I dont have the sky 3d channel.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4652 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:43 pm »
What's the life expectancy of an average range TV these days? We have an LG one that's about four years old and recently started flashing a bit. It's full in warped now, the corner of the screen is fucked.

We haven't even used it a huge amount, if I was a betting man I would say one of my kids has knocked it (they sometimes push the door wide open and knock the stand rather than the TV itself).

Anyway, my vague question is is this just a normal, tough shit, that's how it goes situation? Is it worth the hassle of trying to fix or do I just write it off as a bad buy?

Someone else I know has an LG and their TV has messed up with this December being its 4-year anniversary.

I have had a Sony TV for almost 4 years and not a single issue. Probably just a bad buy.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4653 on: October 31, 2014, 11:27:57 am »
Is it worth waiting till end of Dec to get a tv?
Might be worth waiting for Amazon's Black Friday deals.  That's where I got my Panasonic VIERA TX-P42GT30B for £428 three years ago.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4654 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »
Might be worth waiting for Amazon's Black Friday deals.  That's where I got my Panasonic VIERA TX-P42GT30B for £428 three years ago.

Basically if you get a Panasonic tv, you are set. They never break (touches wood) and have the best picture quality of all imo, especially their old plasma range. Still nothing beats it.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #4655 on: November 2, 2014, 10:49:44 am »

Basically if you get a Panasonic tv, you are set. They never break (touches wood) and have the best picture quality of all imo, especially their old plasma range. Still nothing beats it.

I use to have the 37px70 plasma. Cracking picture quality but had engineers out 3 times to it :-/

I didn't think I'd find a set under £600 that would beat the picture quality of it until I got the sony w829. I looked at the current pannys and Sonys and opted for the sony because the picture quality won it for me. If you prefer nicer menu system and more apps then I'd get a panny

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4656 on: November 3, 2014, 08:31:52 pm »
Considering the W705 OR W805. First one is £649 and the  latter £739. Think Currys chuck in a sound bar with both. I'm not bothered with 3d, and I got 2 kids 6 & 4 so dont want to break the bank for a 4k. Or is it worth investing in one that has both?

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4657 on: November 4, 2014, 09:55:12 am »
Loving the look of the Samsung 55HU7200, curved and 4k.

Anyone got it?
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4658 on: November 5, 2014, 06:03:59 pm »
Guys - when I play my Sky Go through laptop on TV via an HDMI, it is a bit jaggery.

Brother does the same and it is better.

His HDMI cable cost more than mine so is this the issue as Internet speed is fine.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4659 on: November 5, 2014, 06:09:34 pm »
Guys - when I play my Sky Go through laptop on TV via an HDMI, it is a bit jaggery.

Brother does the same and it is better.

His HDMI cable cost more than mine so is this the issue as Internet speed is fine.
HDMI carries a  digital signal, there will be no difference between an expensive one and one you buy for a couple of quid from Argos. 

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4660 on: November 5, 2014, 06:11:02 pm »
HDMI carries a  digital signal, there will be no difference between an expensive one and one you buy for a couple of quid from Argos. 

I thought this.

So why is mine not as smooth a picture. Got to be a reason.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4661 on: November 5, 2014, 06:57:49 pm »
Maybe it's the laptop? (I'm assuming you each use your own)

If you do, then try both cables with both laptops, see if you can work out the issue.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4662 on: November 5, 2014, 07:42:07 pm »
Maybe it's the laptop? (I'm assuming you each use your own)

If you do, then try both cables with both laptops, see if you can work out the issue.

Yeah.

Both got the same TV.

My laptop is better so weird.

Will test it at weekend.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4663 on: November 6, 2014, 02:59:24 pm »
So Ulta HD Tvs.

What's Rawk's experts opinions on it? Worth it?

And does anyone know if the Samsung 7200 plays MKV files? My 6400 does and that's key for me.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline dean89uk

• Boys Pen
« Reply #4664 on: December 4, 2014, 10:33:22 pm »
This article explains 4k TVs in the living room quite well.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

I've been looking at getting a 48inch curved Samsung ue48h8000.  They're £1100 on john Lewis which isn't bad for a curved tv.  Only have a 32 inch Sony which is about 6 years old now and looking for something a little bit bigger and more immersive for gaming and wAtching sport on.  Anyone have any experience with curved TVs?

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #4665 on: December 10, 2014, 02:24:43 am »
Anyone have any experience with curved TVs?

I saw one in Currys the other day, got the whirlies after staring at it, not sure i'd suit one but others may feel different.
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4666 on: January 8, 2015, 06:59:01 pm »
Just a quickie for people buying stuff from Currys. Go to Morrisons first and buy the equivalent price of the TV or whatever in gift cards, and youll get 1p off every litre of petrol for every £10 you spend. It doesnt cost anything more.

I got 16p per litre off when I bought my Sonos play 1. My sister bought an ipad air for £479 and got 47p per litre off.

Worth doing, and works with a lot of other shops.

http://www.morrisonsfuelsaver.co.uk/gift-card-partners

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4667 on: January 9, 2015, 01:31:05 pm »
I saw one in Currys the other day, got the whirlies after staring at it, not sure i'd suit one but others may feel different.

Same happened to me. John Lewis had an LG with a clip playing over Florence, my legs went a bit wobbly.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4668 on: February 10, 2015, 02:32:33 pm »
Does anyone have a Sony KDL40W605B? I'm looking to get a new TV for my bedroom, but I don't want to spend too much because I mainly use the downstairs one. It'll be used for gaming/watching movies and I'm looking to spend around £300-£400.  I've looked at all the reviews etc and I've narrowed it down to the Sony KDL40W605B or the Samsung UE40H6400. Any opinions on which to go for?

I'm not that arsed about the design of the telly or the smart features.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4669 on: February 10, 2015, 03:13:19 pm »
Check if there is a review on AVForums.  They have an editorial part of the site, and the reviews are done by very knowledgable people.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4670 on: February 10, 2015, 10:16:46 pm »
Check if there is a review on AVForums.  They have an editorial part of the site, and the reviews are done by very knowledgable people.
Yeah I had a look but I could only find their review of the Samsung, not the Sony. I don't think there's much in it really so I'm going to go ahead and get the Sony one.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4671 on: February 23, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »
I don't know if anybody can help me out. Simple question really...

Can you watch normal, live, terrestrial TV on a Smart TV WITHOUT an aerial plugged into the back of the TV?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4672 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:44 pm »
No.
You'll need either:

A Roof Ariel
B Sky box
C Indoor ariel.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4673 on: February 23, 2015, 09:54:02 pm »
Damn, was hoping I could through built in WiFi. Not to worry!

Cheers Walshy

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4674 on: February 23, 2015, 10:26:18 pm »
I suppose plugging a laptop/ipad or something into it via HDMI would work - as you'll be streaming.
Things like built in apps like Netflix and stuff would work.

But the actual built in Freeview is a nope I'm afraid.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #4675 on: February 24, 2015, 05:59:57 pm »
What's the best TV between LG's 50LB650V and 50LA660V?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4676 on: February 24, 2015, 06:37:43 pm »
Guys

Do modern Tellys have built in WIFI?

Basically I want a telly that can connect to my desktop in the other room through WIFI and play my MKV files.

cheers :wave

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4677 on: February 24, 2015, 06:48:10 pm »
Guys

Do modern Tellys have built in WIFI?

Basically I want a telly that can connect to my desktop in the other room through WIFI and play my MKV files.

cheers :wave
If it's listed as a smart TV then most likely it will do mate. Best to check the product specs just to be sure as it'll be listed there.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4678 on: February 24, 2015, 07:35:43 pm »
Aren't smart TV's getting a slating though for unwanted adverts and stuff? maybe just a Chromecast will do?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4679 on: February 25, 2015, 02:27:27 pm »
Cheers for the replies lads.

As you say a smart TV seems the way to go.  The new Panasonics I'm interested in obviously have built in media players and USB connections that will play all file types. So at worst i just throw the film/TV programme file Ive downloaded on a memory stick and away I go :)

I'm a staunch Panasonic man when it comes to Tellys so I'm liking the look of the Panny Viera TX-42AS520B Smart 42" LED TV. Costs Less than 4 ton and looks pretty damn good to me :)