Author Topic: One criticism I have of Rafa Benitez  (Read 9684 times)

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
One criticism I have of Rafa Benitez
« on: September 1, 2007, 06:10:43 pm »
This might sound churlish on the back of our best start for umpteen years (decieving though this may be by the standard of two of the opposition teams) and a 6-0 thumping of Derby. However, today provides a prime example of what I am irritated by.

Yes our squad is strong and yes we need to give our new players important playing minutes. However, there should still be scope to blood younger players. There is little point in shipping in dozens of exciting prospects if they never get even a substitutes run on the pitch. I understand the argument that players who are good enough will make the step-up, but I can't help feel that players need first team time to improve their all round game. Gerrard when he first came on the scene looked an indifferent prospect and it was only Houllier's continued faith in him that eventually brought him through.

Without this continuous influx of young players eventually we will discourage the best young talent from coming to the club. Today, at 4 or 5-0 was the correct time to see a youngster blooded and it is to the ultimate detriment of the club as awhole that it did not occur. Hopefully as the season continues we will see chances for younger players to play first team (other than the coke can cup or FA cup).
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline RedTerry

• Legacy Fan
  • *Y*N*W*A*
Re: One criticism I have of Rafa Benitez
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2007, 06:12:18 pm »
You can't please some people!
"Who's bigger than Liverpool?" Jamie Carragher when asked by Sky Sports if he'd thought of moving to a bigger club.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2007, 06:14:18 pm »
So what's he doing with Babel again? The rest of the youngsters can take their chance in the league and FA cup runs. We needed an emphatic win to get over this week, Pako's departure and get us into the international break in the right frame of mind.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2007, 06:15:16 pm »
Serial pessimist or serial complainer?
We're on our way to glory...

Offline svennis

• I heart Riise
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2007, 06:15:30 pm »
So Rafa should have knew that we'll beat Derby 6-0 and put some youngsters on the bench instead of experienced internationals like Benayoun, Riise, Sissoko and Voronin?

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2007, 06:16:37 pm »
So what's he doing with Babel again? The rest of the youngsters can take their chance in the league and FA cup runs. We needed an emphatic win to get over this week, Pako's departure and get us into the international break in the right frame of mind.

Well said.  Good answer to that moaning mingebag. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2007, 06:17:26 pm »
This would be helped if the FA/Premier League got up to speed and allowed teams to name a 7 man bench like much of the rest of Europe (still with a maximum of 3 to come on).

This would allow managers to name a youngster or two on the bench who could come on should the game situation be right.

Hell, they could it so that two players must be under 21 or under 21 and have come through the club's academy or under 21 and British or under 18 etc. Would also have the possible effect of helping the national side in the long term which seems to be the current media 'hot spot'.

Can't see a reason for the 5 sub rule considering the current climate of clubs with large squads, particularly in the top flight.
@_michaelgill

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2007, 06:19:19 pm »
In reality we blood our players in European competition.
Rafa has stated that he can not put kids on the bench in the prem as he only has 4 outfield slots. In the CL he has 6.
In almost every CL game we have at least 1 kid on the bench so that if things are going well he can get some playing time.

The pressure to win every game n the prem with the title winners scoring 90+ points is too much to risk weakening the bench by filling it with kids.

This is why RB wanted to play LFC-reserves in the Championship, in effect he's getting his way by loaning many of the kids to local sides while still allowing the staff at Liverpool to keep an eye on them.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2007, 06:21:33 pm »
what if we weren't winning 4-0, 5-0 and we needed an impact sub like voronin or benayoun. the other three subs are more of a necessity with a cover for a goalkeeper, defender, and a central midfielder. you can't go into a match assuming that you're going to win it 6-0. that's impossible. you go into a match with a plan a, plan b, plan c, plan d etc. etc.

i have always supported the idea of 7 substitute bench with two compulsory academy players. so when the match gets tough, it is not necessary for the gaffer to use these players. however, in situations like this, he can introduce these players for some precious minutes because like the original poster, i believe that playing in the first team improves a players all round game.

Offline 11 friends

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2007, 06:21:55 pm »
Surely Rafa has to try and integrate the new players that he deems close to the first team first-no?

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2007, 06:24:41 pm »
Rafa bloods youngsters like everyone else, in the league cup where it doesn't matter but he has given youngsters time on the pitch, to the likes of Darren Potter, John Otsemebor, Danny Guthrie, Lee Peltier, Emiliano Insua and he'll continue to do so, but his main way of getting our youngsters first team action is through loan deals. We've got too many youngsters and too many great players in our first team squad to give youngsters. How would Crouchie feel for instance if he lost his bench place to Nemeth for instance. That would feel like a bad snub. They're all still young and this is the reason why I'm really looking forward to the league cup this season.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline redman1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Biggedy biggedy bong so it is
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2007, 06:25:20 pm »
This would be helped if the FA/Premier League got up to speed and allowed teams to name a 7 man bench like much of the rest of Europe (still with a maximum of 3 to come on).

This would allow managers to name a youngster or two on the bench who could come on should the game situation be right.

Hell, they could it so that two players must be under 21 or under 21 and have come through the club's academy or under 21 and British or under 18 etc. Would also have the possible effect of helping the national side in the long term which seems to be the current media 'hot spot'.

Can't see a reason for the 5 sub rule considering the current climate of clubs with large squads, particularly in the top flight.

Is the right answer
The greatest night of my life so far

25/05/2005 Attaturk Stadium, Istanbul

North Tribune    Block 306   Row 13   Seat  343

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2007, 06:26:12 pm »
This is simply the problem of not having 7 subs to choose from. for 5 subs, you need: gk, df, mid, maybe striker, and wide player, be it fullback or winger.

With 7 subs you can be sure one of the kids will be sitting there just in case he can be blooded. With only 5 there simply isn't the space for that or we might get caught out on unlucky injury sequences, like Sunderland last week.

*sorry mjgill. didn't see your post before i posted.
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline toshi

• Kopite
  • Respect
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2007, 06:26:28 pm »
Surely Rafa has to try and integrate the new players that he deems close to the first team first-no?

for sure, and League Cup / FA Cup are the best place to do that, don't you agree?
CJ        : "Morton, this is President Bartlett"
Bartlett : "Hey Morton"
Morton (stunned) : "WOW"
Bartlett  : "Well Said"

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2007, 06:26:57 pm »
fecin hell!

We had a starting 11 today, with 6 players that where 25 years or younger, if that where Arsenal, people would be going on about it.

Rafa doesn't have a problem trusting young players and giving them a chance IF they are good enough. And that is all that matters.

Talk about critisising for the hell of it.
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2007, 06:29:53 pm »
This might sound churlish on the back of our best start for umpteen years (decieving though this may be by the standard of two of the opposition teams) and a 6-0 thumping of Derby. However, today provides a prime example of what I am irritated by.

Yes our squad is strong and yes we need to give our new players important playing minutes. However, there should still be scope to blood younger players. There is little point in shipping in dozens of exciting prospects if they never get even a substitutes run on the pitch. I understand the argument that players who are good enough will make the step-up, but I can't help feel that players need first team time to improve their all round game. Gerrard when he first came on the scene looked an indifferent prospect and it was only Houllier's continued faith in him that eventually brought him through.

Without this continuous influx of young players eventually we will discourage the best young talent from coming to the club. Today, at 4 or 5-0 was the correct time to see a youngster blooded and it is to the ultimate detriment of the club as awhole that it did not occur. Hopefully as the season continues we will see chances for younger players to play first team (other than the coke can cup or FA cup).
Sorry to say you have posted a turd.

Offline Wewonit6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2007, 06:30:45 pm »

The funny thing is, if the match was 0-0 after 60mins and we had Insua and co on the bench you'd be ripping Rafa apart for being "unprofessional and disrespectful"

I like giving youth a go and the fact is if they're good enough they'll get a chance.

Offline TheRedBull

• 4x1=5
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2007, 06:34:17 pm »
Super stupid... No more comment needed.

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #18 on: September 1, 2007, 06:35:36 pm »
The funny thing is, if the match was 0-0 after 60mins and we had Insua and co on the bench you'd be ripping Rafa apart for being "unprofessional and disrespectful"

I like giving youth a go and the fact is if they're good enough they'll get a chance.

Exactly, and what was the average age of our team today? Even lower if you take out Sami.

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2007, 06:36:10 pm »

Offline Wewonit6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2007, 06:37:30 pm »

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2007, 06:37:45 pm »

Offline Tentacles.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2007, 06:40:38 pm »
Problem is we have 22 first team players. How exactly do we keep them happy before we worry about kids
'The Queen comes to Liverpool sometimes and if you sign for us you can meet her!'

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2007, 06:41:30 pm »
They're all still young and this is the reason why I'm really looking forward to the league cup this season.

Agree with that completely.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline simmo71

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2007, 06:48:19 pm »
Could it be that he wants these players to settle down before he wants the young players to settle down?

I thought Stevie Gerrard was the dogs bollocks as soon as he came in btw.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2007, 06:49:27 pm »
Perhaps my original post was a bit negative (though the response of some was, I felt, a bit childish) and the point that a bigger number of subs on the benchwould be welcome (perhaps those criticising the bigger clubs for not developing British players might look to the system a bit more. However, I still feel today against a clearly weak Derby side, there was scope to name and sub in a younger player. And those of you saying that if we had been drawing today and had no options on the bench would have seen criticism of Rafa for not having options on the bench are wrong. In that instance the players would have come under scrutiny, not Rafa. It is not pessimism, merely caution and careful assesment.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 1, 2007, 06:56:29 pm »
Perhaps my original post was a bit negative (though the response of some was, I felt, a bit childish) and the point that a bigger number of subs on the benchwould be welcome (perhaps those criticising the bigger clubs for not developing British players might look to the system a bit more. However, I still feel today against a clearly weak Derby side, there was scope to name and sub in a younger player. And those of you saying that if we had been drawing today and had no options on the bench would have seen criticism of Rafa for not having options on the bench are wrong. In that instance the players would have come under scrutiny, not Rafa. It is not pessimism, merely caution and careful assesment.

you come into a match with several plans. you don't just come in with one plan because you're a stronger team, and if you screw up, you blame the performance of the players and move on. you assess all the situations that can take place, and the players you need to counter it. this is what a subs bench is for.

a simplistic solution to blood young player just on the basis of one good result is what is childish. a bigger subs bench improves the chance of academy players but compulsion guarantees it. however, the english academies have much bigger problems than players not being able to make first team bench. first, they should get into their head that the players need coaching, and not training to play in 4-4-2 system.

but that's for another thread.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2007, 06:58:02 pm »
Babel isnt exactly an OAP is he!

Offline cardrona7

• No new LFC topics
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2007, 07:00:49 pm »
Ach just accept it you're off the mark on this occasion, and deserve to be shot down for such a negative outlook.

Offline friendlyswift

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2007, 07:03:44 pm »
Ach just accept it you're off the mark on this occasion, and deserve to be shot down for such a negative outlook.

hahaha the day any established RAWKite does that will be a cold day in hell!
u been on the glue lad? 20 league goals in your first season as well as being injured for a few games obviously isnt good enough for you. you may as well sit in the stretford end sunday..........

Offline AJD1986

• Kemlynite
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2007, 07:05:45 pm »
This is the worst thread ever. We just win 6-0 we have young players like masch, Arbeloa, Torres, Agger, Babel etc etc all on the pitch and you're worried because Insua et al didnt get a game ? What's the Carling Cup there for ? We need to win every game not worry about blooding youngsters you can have no idea are ready. Rafa does.

Furthermore the best youngster from around the world will come if you are the best. Did Lio Messi think hang on a sec Giuly is in my way at barca maybe I should go to Racing Santander. Did he shite he thought there's a great club i want some of that and if i'm good enough i'll play. Same will happen here.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2007, 07:25:23 pm »

Fuck me, they'll get a chance when they get a chance. This is the most critical part of the season, i.e. not the time for giving young prospects an opportunity.

A time and a place etc.

worst thread ever.

« Last Edit: September 1, 2007, 07:27:18 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13