Author Topic: LFC confirms stadium accessibility plans for 2017-18 season  (Read 32698 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
LFC confirms stadium accessibility plans for 2017-18 season
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:29:51 am »
LFC confirms stadium accessibility plans for 2017-18 season

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/stadium-expansion/252663-lfc-confirms-stadium-accessibility-plans-for-2017-18-season

Liverpool FC have confirmed plans to make further improvements to Anfield’s provision for disabled supporters ahead of the 2017-18 season.

Despite the historic structure of the stadium, the club has made an incredible amount of progress at Anfield over the past five years by listening to fans with disabilities and developing the areas that are important to them.

LFC were recently ranked the top Premier League club in the VisitFootball accessibility assessment, which looks at the experience and service provided to disabled supporters, for the fourth year running.

The club has now committed to these new plans by working closely with the official Supporters' Committee and Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association (LDSA).

The redevelopment work will increase the number of wheelchair bays from 195 to over 250 positions, and add over 150 extra amenity and easy access seats around Anfield Stadium.

The works include substantial improvements for away disabled supporters, who for the first time will be seated in the away section. The structural improvements will also include creating new lift shafts, removing structural walls, recasting ramps to more accessible gradients and converting lounge space into raised disabled seating areas.

As a result of these plans, 1,000 general admission seats will be displaced, and the club is committed to mitigating the seat loss as well as working with those season ticket holders who are impacted to find an alternative seat.

Andrew Parkinson, operations director at LFC, said: “As a football club, we have a long-standing commitment to supporting our disabled fans and making changes to the stadium to improve their matchday experience.

“Over the past five years, we have made an incredible amount of progress by working with our disabled fans to listen and understand the areas that need improvements that are important to them.

“The LDSA and Supporters' Committee are fully supportive of our planned approach and the progress that’s been made recently. This latest redevelopment work means further significant construction is planned at Anfield this year and we are working with the city’s licencing and planning teams to ratify the proposals.”

“Making these further developments this summer will see Anfield Stadium achieving the required number of wheelchair positions as stated in the Accessible Stadia Guide.

“The work will mean that some season ticket holders in general admission seats will be affected by the changes and we will work with them on finding an alternative seat. We will be in touch with those directly affected and we thank them for their understanding.”

On behalf of Liverpool's disabled supporters, Keith Graham, chair of the Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association, and Katie Price, disabled supporters representative on the Supporters' Committee, said: "The Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association and Supporters' Committee are pleased to see the official confirmation of the plans to increase the provision for disabled supporters at Anfield.

"The proposed work is the culmination of many years of dialogue. We have always advocated the need for increased accessibility at Anfield, for all disabled supporters, in order to meet the recommended requirements of the Accessible Stadia Guide.

"We welcome LFC’s commitment to making this a reality by August 2017 and look forward to greater numbers of disabled supporters having the opportunity to attend matches at Anfield."

The majority of the construction work is planned to be carried out during the 12-week close season in the summer and is expected to be completed by the start of the 2017-18 campaign.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: LFC confirms stadium accessibility plans for 2017-18 season
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 09:34:33 am »
Losing 1000 general sale tickets is going to be tough.

But no matter how the club spins it, they have always been far behind when it comes to accessibility (soon to be illegally so). So well done for the club to be tackling the issue head on.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:25:20 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:39:41 am »
Many of the wheelchair bays around the ground have pretty shocking views, hopefully this will help with that a bit. I know there will be a backlash but as a wheelchair user who goes regularly it is nice to see the club progressing on this issue.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »
Many of the wheelchair bays around the ground have pretty shocking views, hopefully this will help with that a bit. I know there will be a backlash but as a wheelchair user who goes regularly it is nice to see the club progressing on this issue.

I don't think there will be a backlash from anything more than an insignificant minority, what sort of a person would complain about this? I'm disappointed on a personal level as it will make tickets harder to come by for myself but I fully understand it and realise it's just making things right for the disabled community who have been hard done to in terms of seating for years.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:49:29 pm »

But no matter how the club spins it, they have always been far behind when it comes to accessibility (soon to be illegally so). So well done for the club to be tackling the issue head on.

Well you can argue that they've been bounced into playing catch up because of the law.  It's welcome but it's overdue and you wonder if it would be getting done if not for the law change.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 01:06:51 pm »
How does one go about purchasing 'easy access' seats? I've a family member who is disabled but not physically so doesn't require a wheelchair but may need to exit quickly at any time?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 01:44:18 pm »

That's about it mate - nice PR spin from the club there in the OP - but without the recent appetite to improve this and eventually resorting to having to legally force PL clubs to adhere to the minimum requirements the club would still be playing the 'stadium structure / limited room' card and not doing much about it, like Red Beret says.

How does one go about purchasing 'easy access' seats? I've a family member who is disabled but not physically so doesn't require a wheelchair but may need to exit quickly at any time?

You'll have to phone the ticket office mate - 0151 264 2500, then select option 2 / disability option and talk to one of the advisors. Disabled fans still can't buy tickets online (apologies if I'm wrong and that has recently changed).

You can also email them at disability@liverpoolfc.com

a few articles (without the club spin)...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/16/premier-league-legal-action-parliamentary-report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38630964
http://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2017/01/premier-league-clubs-could-face-legal-action-over-disabled-facilities/
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wealthy-premier-league-football-clubs-9629631
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:55:00 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:38 am »

Around 470 more general admission seats on the Kop for next season but doesn't say where.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/stadium-expansion/254580-lfc-submits-planning-application-to-improve-anfield-accessibility
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:59 am »

That's mitigated a little by the announced extra 470 general admission seats in the Kop, as Andy says above.......don't know where they're gonna put them (unless they're filling the corners in ?).

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:28 pm »
Thats quite a substantial refit especially to the Lower centenary stand.

By the sounds of it, I might be one of those getting displaced as my ST is at the rear of the lower tier

I cant picture how it will be unless they are open up the corporate boxes for access.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 02:09:51 pm »
The right thing to do, obviously.

An inevitable consequence of our failure to seize a new stadium opportunity, or significantly redevelop Anfield are the piecemeal improvements, which are never quite enough, that result.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »
They are going to curve them where 109 and the police box is currently I believe.

I posted in the other thread about this yesterday
cyas

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:45:13 pm »
It's a shame they couldn't just square the back of the kop off, surely that wouldn't be an unbelievably massive job, I don't know how many seats that would a a couple of thousand maybe?

Offline Giovanni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 04:55:44 pm »
It's a shame they couldn't just square the back of the kop off, surely that wouldn't be an unbelievably massive job, I don't know how many seats that would a a couple of thousand maybe?
this forum repeatedly stated nothing could be done with the kop
cyas

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01:33 pm »
Well it looks like the very outside blocks on either side will be expanded back. A cheap fix to add 500 seats.

Makes you wonder why it wasn't built this way back in the 90's?

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 05:03:33 pm »

Well that's just been shot to pieces 😂

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »
I believe the question regarding the Kop which was dismissed was if it could be massively extending (i.e. over the road behind, fill in corners, etc. etc.) rather than can we add 4-500 seats.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 05:12:22 pm »
I believe the question regarding the Kop which was dismissed was if it could be massively extending (i.e. over the road behind, fill in corners, etc. etc.) rather than can we add 4-500 seats.

To be honest Craig if we could extend the kop by 4-5k that would be fantastic, and if they are extending it by 500 I'm sure the price couldn't be that outrageous to add the extra?

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 05:14:03 pm »
Well that's just been shot to pieces 😂

This could get interesting. For some people it will be like find out that Father Christmas doesn't really exist all over again  ;D

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 05:44:55 pm »
So to be clear, disabled seats increase by 150, including 55 bays, 1000 Centenary lower sets are lost, but 450 Kop seats are gained, is that right?

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 09:51:57 pm »

I remember the back corners could be filled in but would be hardly any seats for a fair bit of work.

Also was there meant to be more disabled seats in the annie road development so does this mean its more likely to be shelved?

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 10:37:22 pm »
I remember the back corners could be filled in but would be hardly any seats for a fair bit of work.

Also was there meant to be more disabled seats in the annie road development so does this mean its more likely to be shelved?

Looking at photos of the rear of the Kop is doesn't look that much work. The outermost sections of the stand can be cantilevered off the rear wall in the same manner as the middle sections. Only if you were to square the whole stand off with the centre section would you need to break open a bag of sand and cement  ;D

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 02:21:56 am »

There was mate - though even if the New Anfield Road development had gone ahead it would meant the ground at the time would only have met 72% of the Accessible Stadia minimum number for Amenity Seating (this was before the recent law change and the club now finding solutions to put disabled and amenity seating into places where it previously said it couldn't).

Where the club will be in terms of meeting the minimum numbers for wheelchair and amenity seating with - and without - a new Anfield Road redevelopment, I don't know. I imagine there'll be a time limit on the club to meet those minimum numbers either way though.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:20 am »
Looking at photos of the rear of the Kop is doesn't look that much work. The outermost sections of the stand can be cantilevered off the rear wall in the same manner as the middle sections. Only if you were to square the whole stand off with the centre section would you need to break open a bag of sand and cement  ;D

This section is 8 rows deep and about 30 seats wide so extending back in the two corners from rows 61-68 would add around 480 seats.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:08 pm »
This section is 8 rows deep and about 30 seats wide so extending back in the two corners from rows 61-68 would add around 480 seats.

And if they were to square it off completely then roughly (4x470 seats) minus (4x80) for the 4 extra exits that need to be cut into the deck. So an additional 1560 seats on top of the 470 already created, adding a little of 2000 to the existing capacity.

Those 1560 would be more expensive per seat then the 470 currently planned, but not prohibitively so. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 01:18:28 pm »
but not prohibitively so.

Why, what would the cost be?

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 01:29:54 pm »
Not more than the club could afford, but probably more than then are willing to pay  :wave

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 01:33:04 pm »
Not more than the club could afford, but probably more than then are willing to pay  :wave

What's the figure?

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 01:49:13 pm »
Why are you looking to put in a quote for the work?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 01:50:28 pm »

Just interested given you must have worked something out to be able to say what you are further above.

I mean otherwise you'd just be guessing based on nothing, and surely you'd not be doing that?

Offline Giovanni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 02:01:51 pm »
CraigFSG is gona crucify you unless you have the exact figures.

FSG have crunched the numbers and it can't be done (in the economical model they have made up) OKAY?
cyas

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 02:03:26 pm »
CraigFSG is gona crucify you unless you have the exact figures.

FSG have crunched the numbers and it can't be done (in the economical model they have made up) OKAY?

Not exact, but I'd hope he's got something which could be considered remotely in the realms of reality.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »
I'm sure levelling out the back of the kop if not extending even further (without needing to change the road) wouldn't bankrupt the club, but the fact they are adding just 450 seats is once again the minimum, I also still think the extra disabled seats could have been incorporated in a new anfield road stand thus negating the need to lose 1000 seats and the cost of the work in the centenary stand.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 02:07:45 pm »
I also still think the extra disabled seats could have been incorporated in a new anfield road stand thus negating the need to lose 1000 seats and the cost of the work in the centenary stand.

More will be, however there is a desire to have disabled seating around the ground, not just shoved in a small number of places. Plus there is a necessity to add disabled seating now, not when the Anny Road is eventually done (which you'd imagine at the earliest would be around the end of 2018/19.

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 02:27:24 pm »
Where other clubs have added a similar number of seats its worked out at around £1700 per seat.  What figure did you have in mind?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 02:28:27 pm »
Where other clubs have added a similar number of seats its worked out at around £1700 per seat.  What figure did you have in mind?

So I assume other clubs were adding seats in a near identical situation to those areas at the back of the Kop? I mean otherwise how can we take their costs as being anything similar to what they'd be for us?

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »
Why in your 'expert' opinion does that sound to high or low or is your ego just bruised now the club have announced they are extending the Kop when so many said it would never happen?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:58 pm »
Why in your 'expert' opinion does that sound to high or low or is your ego just bruised now the club have announced they are extending the Kop when so many said it would never happen?

Why would my ego be bruised? I've only ever commented on the Kop being extended out the back, and certainly never claimed to have ran any numbers or have the ability to do so. Nothing to do with adding 400 odd seats internally.

I've no idea if your figures seem high or low, have you looked at what work would be required and the likely costs? Or have you just looked at what it's cost elsewhere and ignored that the work required might be vastly different?

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 02:40:54 pm »
Why would my ego be bruised? I've only ever commented on the Kop being extended out the back, and certainly never claimed to have ran any numbers or have the ability to do so. Nothing to do with adding 400 odd seats internally.

I've no idea if your figures seem high or low, have you looked at what work would be required and the likely costs? Or have you just looked at what it's cost elsewhere and ignored that the work required might be vastly different?

"There are of course times where it may make sense for the club to spend on the stadium where the return may be slightly longer to see than normal, expanding the Kop could be just that sort of thing, but I doubt it when the costs involved will not be cheap by any means. In fact, looking at the complexities mentioned above by Peter and Alan it looks like it would be a pretty huge job which I doubt would even get permission to be done (not only because it would involve overhanging the road, but the concourse areas are bad enough at the back/top of the Kop as they are, adding more seats back there isn't going to help and would no doubt require a lot of work"

CraigDS
Re: Straightening the Kop
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 10:37:22 AM »

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=323829.0

Cheap compared to what, other ground developments similar to the Kop? Interesting conclusions you have made without running the numbers first...... almost like you were making things up.. whatever next.

Your have come across like a unbeliever as to whether the Kop would be expanded. Now you can open your eyes and embrace the light  ;D

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:06:43 pm by banjo »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 02:42:57 pm »

"There are of course times where it may make sense for the club to spend on the stadium where the return may be slightly longer to see than normal, expanding the Kop could be just that sort of thing, but I doubt it when the costs involved will not be cheap by any means. In fact, looking at the complexities mentioned above by Peter and Alan it looks like it would be a pretty huge job which I doubt would even get permission to be done (not only because it would involve overhanging the road, but the concourse areas are bad enough at the back/top of the Kop as they are, adding more seats back there isn't going to help and would no doubt require a lot of work"

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=323829.0

And? As I said, never claimed to have ran any numbers, purely commenting that I doubt it would be cheap.