Author Topic: Retro gaming box  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Retro gaming box
« on: December 8, 2019, 05:54:15 pm »
Anyone got any info on the best ones currently, ideally want one of the ones that plays all the old consoles games rather than just the SNES and PS1 ones that only have 20 half decent  games on them. Raspberry Pi3 has caught my eye so far but quite expensive if I'm going to get bored of it after a few days.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Retro gaming box
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2019, 10:37:55 pm »
I've got two: An overclocked Raspberry Pi 3 with RetroPi on it and a thing called 'Arcade Box' which is an overclocked PI in a metal box with a joystick and arcade buttons

This is the Arcade Box:

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2019, 11:16:52 pm »
Is it the top or bottom one you have Andy? Will I get games like crash bandicoot and most of Super Mario Bros/Kart on it as that's what I'm most interested in?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2019, 11:21:37 pm by Shady Craig »

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2019, 01:04:15 am »
You can build a retro pi yourself, its pretty easy. Will cost less than half that and you can download a build with the emulators and roms for the sd card.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2019, 01:14:03 am »
If you Google emulators and roms you can allegedly play most old games on a laptop with an X box controller and save the money, allegedly.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2019, 06:38:58 am »
I thought something was up with the OP when you said "Pi 3 is quite expensive". Do not buy those bundles, the markups and profit margins they're going for are sheer greed and probably just looking to exploit Christmas desperation.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2019, 06:54:25 pm »
I have thought about getting and building the Pi3 instead but by the time you buy that, 2 controllers, SD card how much would i really be saving? £30? to be honest I'd rather work a extra hour to pay for it than faff around for longer setting it up/downloading the roms.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2019, 08:35:30 pm »
I have thought about getting and building the Pi3 instead but by the time you buy that, 2 controllers, SD card how much would i really be saving? £30? to be honest I'd rather work a extra hour to pay for it than faff around for longer setting it up/downloading the roms.

I'd go for a pre-built one if you don't went to spend literally hundreds of hours searching for and collecting stuff to put on it.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:51:43 am »
I've got the misses to get me one of these for Xmas after to seeing a friend's one in action
https://youtu.be/pQZoVB5PCR8

All your Mario Karts and all the Crash Bandicoots on here etc and you can add your own roms (pretty east to do to) to a micro SD that comes with it, but it comes with 2-3000 already on it. The screen is supposed to be excellent too.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:00:14 am by pezzzer »
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 08:58:59 am »
I got a PlayStation Classic with a memory stick loaded with custom games and emulators.

Take a look here, basically: easy peasy and runs far smoother than it did on my Pi:

https://www.arcadepunks.com/new-128gb-playstation-classic-hack-build-homebrews-imports-hacks-more-from-magnusrc/

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:18:42 pm »
I'd go for a pre-built one if you don't went to spend literally hundreds of hours searching for and collecting stuff to put on it.
That's what I was thinking Andy,  I want in time for Christmas and just haven't got the time to look into and do what's needed by then. Not for do little price difference anyway.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 10:21:12 pm »
I've got the misses to get me one of these for Xmas after to seeing a friend's one in action
https://youtu.be/pQZoVB5PCR8

All your Mario Karts and all the Crash Bandicoots on here etc and you can add your own roms (pretty east to do to) to a micro SD that comes with it, but it comes with 2-3000 already on it. The screen is supposed to be excellent too.
I'd prefer a handheld one like this as I reckon i would get more play time out of it, the missus and kids want to play it as well though so got to be one for the TV unfortunately.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 10:21:36 pm »
I got a PlayStation Classic with a memory stick loaded with custom games and emulators.

Take a look here, basically: easy peasy and runs far smoother than it did on my Pi:

https://www.arcadepunks.com/new-128gb-playstation-classic-hack-build-homebrews-imports-hacks-more-from-magnusrc/
Will look into this one ta mate [emoji106]

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 06:07:47 am »
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Retro-Games-New-Brand-GPD-XD_60790128903.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.17.175b68bfOm0fri

Has HDMI output as well for playing on TV.  Apart from newer consoles (ps2 and beyond), this will be able to play anything, including NES, SNES, NeoGeo arcade, Genesis, Saturn, GBA, Nintendo DS, PSP and more...

If cost is not an issue.. There is nothing better than this..
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-GPD-WIN-2-6-Inch_60787302744.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.deiletai6.6.2b006ac0O1m1IX
This is a FULL fledged computer in a pocket. You can play everything from NES to PS2 games on this thing.  Hell, you can even play modern AAA games that are not too heavy!!  Minecraft etc will run without breaking a sweat...   
I am getting one as soon as I can convince my wife :P

Both the above will support multiple bluetooth or USB gamepads/controllers.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:10:47 am by "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan! »
Phuk yoo

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 03:31:39 pm »
Will look into this one ta mate [emoji106]

;D

Love mine, was the whole reason I got a PS Classic. Retropie from the image on that site arrives fully configured for it, so the controllers work.

It all runs off a USB stick in the second controller port. So no risk to the PS Classic itself.

Anyone else wondering, it has my vote!

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 08:56:46 am »
;D

Love mine, was the whole reason I got a PS Classic. Retropie from the image on that site arrives fully configured for it, so the controllers work.

It all runs off a USB stick in the second controller port. So no risk to the PS Classic itself.

Anyone else wondering, it has my vote!
That's a great bit of kit mate. I'd be tempted.to get one myself if I didn't have the rg350 coming but tbf mine is more for at work so I needed a portable. This sounds perfect for Shady Craig though.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 11:04:42 pm »
That's a great bit of kit mate. I'd be tempted.to get one myself if I didn't have the rg350 coming but tbf mine is more for at work so I needed a portable. This sounds perfect for Shady Craig though.
A retro games console for work? No wonder productivity in this country has gone to pot!  :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 08:22:05 pm »
I put the homebrew channel on a wii recently, love it. Have put all the old consoles snes, mega drive etc on an sd card and added an 80gb hdd for gamecube and wii games.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 11:28:27 am »
Does anyone fancy participating in a thread with high scores from Every Retro Game/Platform? I could create it - then put the current high score at the top. Maybe have one for each console/machine?

(We'd obviously have to trust each other - but I personally wouldn't see any point in cheating as that kind of defeats the purpose)

I can create a couple of anyone is interested.. Be fun to compete with people on here and would give me an excuse to play old games that I haven't played or games I love..

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 08:14:38 am »
Does anyone fancy participating in a thread with high scores from Every Retro Game/Platform? I could create it - then put the current high score at the top. Maybe have one for each console/machine?

(We'd obviously have to trust each other - but I personally wouldn't see any point in cheating as that kind of defeats the purpose)

I can create a couple of anyone is interested.. Be fun to compete with people on here and would give me an excuse to play old games that I haven't played or games I love..
I'm up for that mate, great idea!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 01:16:21 pm »
I'll create one in the Gaming board.

I'll give us a shortlist of 10 games. Whichever gets the most votes is our first RAWK compo.. Maybe run it for 2 weeks? You can post and then update your post if you increase your score and I'll add the high to the title ..

Shortlist;

1. Defender
2. Pacman
3. Robotron
4. Galaga
5. Phoenix
6. Frogger
7. Space Invaders
8. Outrun
9. Ghosts n' Goblins
10. Scramble

--- get your votes in and I'll create challenge #1 at some point in the next few days --

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 02:48:58 pm »

I'll give us a shortlist of 10 games. Whichever gets the most votes is our first RAWK compo.. Maybe run it for 2 weeks? You can post and then update your post if you increase your score and I'll add the high to the title ..

Shortlist;

1. Defender
2. Pacman
3. Robotron
4. Galaga
5. Phoenix
6. Frogger
7. Space Invaders
8. Outrun
9. Ghosts n' Goblins
10. Scramble

--- get your votes in and I'll create challenge #1 at some point in the next few days --

Clocked them all, twice

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 04:22:22 pm »
Clocked them all, twice

Mmm. Pacman has a kill screen on Map 256. Galaga hits the kill screen at 3,335,140 points. Frogger dies around 250,000 usually.

Not sure if the others have it...

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 04:27:00 pm »

Shortlist;

1. Defender
2. Pacman
3. Robotron
4. Galaga
5. Phoenix
6. Frogger
7. Space Invaders
8. Outrun
9. Ghosts n' Goblins
10. Scramble

Pacman might be a good start mate, it's a good one to get the ball rolling! I haven't played that for years either (gets excuses in early)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 05:21:09 pm »
Pacman might be a good start mate, it's a good one to get the ball rolling! I haven't played that for years either (gets excuses in early)

Yeah been a while for me :)

I've never been anywhere near screen 256, so should be able to post a high score :D

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: January 2, 2020, 07:54:47 am »
Yeah been a while for me :)

I've never been anywhere near screen 256, so should be able to post a high score :D
I've got the RG350 now mate so I can put some serious practice in at work on my Pac man scores :)
I skipped playing it in the arcades as it was a bit long in the tooth by the time I started going in to those places, the first game I put any money in to was Shinobi which was more my decade or arcade dwelling haha!
Let the games begin!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: January 2, 2020, 02:30:29 pm »
I've got the RG350 now mate so I can put some serious practice in at work on my Pac man scores :)
I skipped playing it in the arcades as it was a bit long in the tooth by the time I started going in to those places, the first game I put any money in to was Shinobi which was more my decade or arcade dwelling haha!
Let the games begin!

The post is up in the gaming forum.

I had a quick go - so anyone should be able to beat that crappy score. Only just got onto Level 2 :D