Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 775055 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Joseph Gomez
« Reply #1360 on: August 29, 2017, 07:23:35 am »
Has he played at CB for the first team aside from that one cup tie last season? Where he didn't look at all sharp in his movement and reactions, seems miles closer to full fitness now.

Was legit scared that his injuries would have completely derailed his progress, he's back at a good level now though. Still surprisingly young too, got plenty of time to develop and find his best position.

He played CB a lot in pre-season but no, I don't think he's played CB in any other proper matches. That's not unusual though at his age.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1361 on: August 29, 2017, 07:50:00 am »
He's very quick and you can see why Klopp has given him a chance.

Still rash at times and he'll play the wrong pass but he'll learn to adapt very quickly under Klopp and the players around him.

Offline kopitekop1

• Kopite
« Reply #1362 on: August 29, 2017, 07:58:28 am »
Talk of him going to Southampton as part of the VVD move, I would be amazed if that happened
The reds are coming up the hill boys

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1363 on: August 29, 2017, 09:09:47 am »
Talk of him going to Southampton as part of the VVD move, I would be amazed if that happened

Where is that from?

Offline Americaner...

• More American than other, ordinary Americans.
  • Kopite
  • I dream in red and white
« Reply #1364 on: August 30, 2017, 07:55:58 pm »
With Ox coming in and possibly filling in as a RB, I wonder if Klopp sees Gomez as enter competition for a starting CB role if we don't sign VVD.

Offline P_thy

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1365 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:00 pm »
Very promising performance when we demolished Arsenal, look forward to seeing more of him

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:26 pm »

on loan would be a good deal.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1367 on: August 30, 2017, 08:08:20 pm »
on loan would be a good deal.

I don't think it'd be that good an idea. No one seems to know how long Clyne is out for, so he'll be needed to share time with TAA at right back for a while at least.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1368 on: August 30, 2017, 09:19:03 pm »
With Ox coming in and possibly filling in as a RB, I wonder if Klopp sees Gomez as enter competition for a starting CB role if we don't sign VVD.

I think he will play as a midfielder or as a wide forward. He doesn't want to play WB and I would bet that in his talks with us that he made that known.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1369 on: August 30, 2017, 09:20:25 pm »
Very promising performance when we demolished Arsenal, look forward to seeing more of him

He seemed much more comfortable in the role. I can't see him being loaned out while Clyne is out. 
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1370 on: August 30, 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
New England under 21 captain!!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1371 on: August 30, 2017, 10:33:41 pm »
Joe Gomez first steps into becoming a future LFC captain.  :D

Away from transfer window, important news for Joe Gomez. He is the New England Under-21 captain, he found out today at St George's Park

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1372 on: August 30, 2017, 10:34:30 pm »
Ah made up for him!

Well done, Joe Gomez! Been such a difficult 18 months for him.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1373 on: August 30, 2017, 10:45:22 pm »
What a week for him.  And he more than deserves it after what he's been through in the past couple of years.

Well done Joe!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: August 30, 2017, 10:50:04 pm »

Southampton has 6 central defenders already from what I understand.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: August 30, 2017, 10:57:06 pm »
Congratulations lad. He's done fantastically well since he recovered, deserves a load of credit. Has all the tools to become a really, really good defender.

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #1376 on: August 30, 2017, 11:15:51 pm »
No love for the national team,  but well in lad.
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #1377 on: September 1, 2017, 01:09:29 pm »
No love for the national team,  but well in lad.

Scottish?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jack1092

• Main Stander
« Reply #1378 on: September 4, 2017, 11:51:49 am »
Having read his brief interview on the Dailyfail/mail today i think he seems a great character, and another possible future captain. We have a few of these coming up through our squad which is great.

His attitude with the injuries has been top, and there's no doubt he is a great choice for RB. He is pacey, strong and consistent. There are still moments where i see him looking slightly slow on the turn etc. which might be down to injury or the fact hes a big strong fella! He is also capable of providing a great pass/delivery and against certain sides he is great to play there for extra height. Against top teams, i have to admit i feel a lot more confident with him that TAA, as while TAA is great going forward i do see parts of his game where he will get caught out vs the best. Then theres Clyne as well!

Gomez for me, will turn out to be a CB, possibly following the Carragher route to it, filling in along the back four until the space comes available. Hopefully Gomez is a long term LFC player.

Personally, i would like him to get CB game time and possibly not gettig VVD will allow that in certain games this year....

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1379 on: September 4, 2017, 04:13:38 pm »
He may be a better RB than CB in the minds of some, but he's going to have to play CB a lot this year IMO, given the paucity of depth at CB.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1380 on: September 4, 2017, 04:24:37 pm »
He may be a better RB than CB in the minds of some, but he's going to have to play CB a lot this year IMO, given the paucity of depth at CB.

I think he'll be a far better CB. He doesn't have the chutzpah to beat his man with pace or skill and whip in a cross from the byline, so he'll always have something missing from his game there. On the other hand he has the potential to have it all at CB.

Hopefully Clyne isn't out too long and his time at RB will be limited.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1381 on: September 4, 2017, 04:46:34 pm »
I think he'll be a far better CB. He doesn't have the chutzpah to beat his man with pace or skill and whip in a cross from the byline, so he'll always have something missing from his game there. On the other hand he has the potential to have it all at CB.

Agree on pretty much everything you've written
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1382 on: September 4, 2017, 07:27:39 pm »

He will be eventually but I think he'll play a lot more at RB over the next year and a bit for developments sake. That said he's not really an issue there and he's got a number of things on Clyne in that position to suggest it's not going to be a straight forward return back. I mean to be honest the criticism of Gomez can to some degree apply to Clyne as well whose delivery can quite often disappoint unless it's beyond the defensive line. Joe is fast, powerful, I'd say a better passer of the ball and helps against teams who look for relief balls out wide because he's a massive lad. Take the Arsenal game, they were looking to use Bellerin and Sanchez to break our press whenever we decided to go for it but what would usually be a 50/50 dual with Clyne turns into an easy regain for Gomez.

I do think he'll play central in the end but I don't think it's beyond his ability to become an Ivanovic type fullback with the right coaching.

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #1383 on: September 5, 2017, 09:32:01 pm »
Man of the Match in the U21 game against Latvia tonight, played really well.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1384 on: September 5, 2017, 09:32:38 pm »
at centre back?
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #1385 on: September 5, 2017, 09:34:37 pm »

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #1386 on: September 5, 2017, 09:37:19 pm »
had a good game tonight did joe,
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1387 on: September 6, 2017, 03:34:44 am »
3-0 win and CB gets the MOTM. Happy times.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1388 on: September 6, 2017, 11:45:00 am »
Man of the Match in the U21 game against Latvia tonight, played really well.

That is fantastic that he was at centre back and got MOTM. Was he on the right or left of the cb pairing?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: September 6, 2017, 11:48:18 am »
That is fantastic that he was at centre back and got MOTM. Was he on the right or left of the cb pairing?
He was on the right (Sky graphic before the game showed him left).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: September 6, 2017, 12:10:09 pm »
He was on the right (Sky graphic before the game showed him left).

Thanks. I went looking for that info but there is not much written about U21.

I'm not English, but I agree with Stuart Pearce that the U21 should be taken more seriously as an opportunity to groom leadership and tournament experience. I hope that Solanke, TAA, and Gomez get a chance to linger in the U21 for a while and maybe win a trophy together and learn before being thrown into the circus of the senior national team.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »
Solanke and Gomez shortlisted for European Golden Boy Award: http://lfc.tv/AwBU

Liverpool youngsters Joe Gomez and Dominic Solanke have been nominated for the 2017 European Golden Boy Award.

The Reds pair are included on a 25-player shortlist for the accolade, which is decided by a panel of journalists and organised by Italian newspaper Tuttosport.

The prize – which will be presented to the winner next month – acknowledges the continent’s best U21 player during the calendar year, with Gomez and Solanke among the contenders.

Gomez has re-established himself in the Liverpool senior side this season following a lengthy rehabilitation from injury, and was named England U21 captain in August.

Solanke joined the Reds in the summer, having helped England to glory at the FIFA U20 World Cup and been named the player of the tournament in South Korea.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: September 19, 2017, 06:30:06 pm »
Solanke and Gomez shortlisted for European Golden Boy Award: http://lfc.tv/AwBU

Good on both of them. I guess Mbappe or Dembele will probably end up getting it, but it's great that we have two lads on the shortlist.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1393 on: September 19, 2017, 07:38:15 pm »
Delighted to see him get a run out at centre back. I know he'll grab the chance with both hands.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: September 19, 2017, 09:41:52 pm »
Needs to learn from that first goal. He literally pushed out with the rest of the team then ran back 10 yards and played everyone on not once but twice.

He has all the tools to be great, just whether he has it in his mind.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1395 on: September 19, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »
Not convinced yet.  I like his passing out from the back, plays similar angled balls into midfield like Sakho used to, but I can't believe he's 6'2 and he's got a lot to work on defensively.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lemieux

• Kopite
« Reply #1396 on: September 19, 2017, 10:38:56 pm »
Was awful after the mistake.  Could tell it shook him up.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1397 on: September 19, 2017, 11:44:07 pm »
not convinced by him so far at all i'll be honest, but he's young . hopefully the last few games he's played will be a key role in his development

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: September 19, 2017, 11:53:48 pm »
Poor tonight but he is only 20. If Clyne is back on schedule and we can get in another CB in January I think it would do him some good to get a decent set of games in on loan out of the limelight.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1399 on: September 20, 2017, 12:00:19 am »
He's looked good at fullback - players his age rarely look good at center back. When did Carra move there?