Author Topic: Steve Cook, missing in Crete, can you help?  (Read 120424 times)

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
  • I'll show you that British craftsmanship is alive!
Re: Steve Cook, missing in Crete, can you help?
« Reply #120 on: December 2, 2005, 03:43:01 am »
Hi everyone and thanks once again for you words of support and hope.
As you may have seen on the tv, the police are now thinking the worse as having done extensive lifestyle searches they are discounting the possibility that Steve has gone off on his own accord. The family knew that pretty much from day one knowing Ste as we do.

Part of the reason that the police think that Steve is a victim of crime or misadventure is generally because of the time that he has been missing for. We are now into the 14th week.

There are no concrete clues to support things either way though as far as we are aware. There are no witnesses to any crime (at least none have come forward) nor is there any evidence of a body, clothing etc.

The simple fact at the moment is that aside from the length of time that he has been missing there is nothing to really to go on in terms of finding out what has happened to Steve and where he is.

As part of the appeal we have collated several tales of beatings, druggings and muggings in the area but nothing that goes as far as this. Of course the police have followed up such info where possible.

Despite the police fearing the worse the whole family remain hopeful of one day bringing Steve home. We have heard stories of people getting lost in the hills and being looked after by farmers, there are also the potential sightings of Steve following our appeal on the Greek missing persons show - now unless there are a good number of Englishmen running around the area suffering from amnesia and blows to the head we cannot discount that one of these sightings may indeed have been Steve. Of course, after this length of time a positive ID on these sightings will prove difficult.

However, times like these you keep hoping and praying. Just the other day a lad from Manchester was found living in a cave in los Christianos in Tenerife - like Malia this is a busy resort yet this lad had been gone since July when he last spoke to his mum saying he'd been beaten and robbed.

There are always possibilities until it's proven otherwise.

Werthers Hag

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2005, 09:10:27 pm »
Any further news regarding Steve? Coming so close to Xmas must be a difficult time for everyone.

Offline irishpudlian

• Main Stander
  • we achieve your dreams
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2005, 06:23:32 pm »
when i was over in crete the reps asked us had we lost anyone out of our group because there was a guy that got in a accident and was in a coma. he didnt have a phone and noone knew who he was - only two girls had met him in a pub and said he had an irish accent. i dont know if it is the same guy - was steve irish?
ok...so you are telling me not to stick it in there?

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2005, 09:46:04 pm »
Any further news regarding Steve? Coming so close to Xmas must be a difficult time for everyone.

Nothing further to my knowledge Shabs.

Was talking to Chris in the pub before the match yesterday and he is still very hopefull of Ste being alive. Plus the fact that when he does come home i think Chris might be giving him a kicking.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #124 on: January 9, 2006, 05:15:49 pm »
Any further news?

Offline snouty17

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2006, 09:43:39 am »
when i was over in crete the reps asked us had we lost anyone out of our group because there was a guy that got in a accident and was in a coma. he didnt have a phone and noone knew who he was - only two girls had met him in a pub and said he had an irish accent. i dont know if it is the same guy - was steve irish?

not sure if you are talkin of a similar time period but have you bothered to contact Steves family through the website to give them this info? im sure any info at all will be of help to them

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2006, 11:34:02 am »
not sure if you are talkin of a similar time period but have you bothered to contact Steves family through the website to give them this info? im sure any info at all will be of help to them

This lead was investigated, the lad was concerned was Irish and unfortunately I believe he later died from his injuries.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2006, 11:12:29 pm »
Happy 21st Birthday Stevie, come home soon.  You are missed xxx
Never give up

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2006, 11:56:47 pm »
Shit didn't realise today is his 21st.

Come on lad get yerself home.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2006, 11:59:47 pm »
Happy 21st Stevie. Hope you're home soon. :)
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline irishpudlian

• Main Stander
  • we achieve your dreams
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2006, 05:41:54 pm »
god that is sad i didnt realise that guy had died
ok...so you are telling me not to stick it in there?

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2006, 05:44:54 pm »
any further news on stevie lads WALK ON WALK ON STEVIE AND KEEP WALKING BACK TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2006, 12:56:04 pm »
jesus cant believe he was never found :(
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2006, 05:58:06 pm »
He's dead?

YNWA

To clarify, this doesn't relate to Steven.  The Irish lad who was in a hospital on Crete following a motorbike accident died.   
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2006, 08:33:53 pm »
Is there any further news on Steven at all? Have all the possible leads been invesigated and ruled out now? What would be the next step to take?

Hope hes found asap.

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2006, 11:29:17 am »
this is so bizarre to have gone on this long. his family must be in bits
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2006, 12:51:53 am »
Sorry it has been so long since I last updated here.

The latest is that there is no news of sorts on Steve's whereabouts but we now have a lot of contacts over in Crete. Ex-pats and local people, and the word is that whilst there is a lot of awareness about Steve's case in the immediate Malia area not too many folk outside of that know too much about it.

The locals in particular have been great in doing whatever they can and it's a great comfort to know that we have such friends over there - even if we haven't even met them.

As Armin said, there was a lad that we went and identified and unfortunately he passed away a day or so after (YNWA lad) but it wasn't Steve.

Although it has been nigh on five months our contacts over there and the locals still feel that Steve could be very much alive. I know it's a long time since he went missing in UK terms, but since then the hunting season (where they go up to the hills etc) has passed and it is the time that farmers in the hills recruit and house folk so there is every hope since he has not been found, or a body hasn't.

For those that don't know, Crete is an island with a backbone of mountains and this is where a lot of the locals / non-tourists live as well as where the off peak industries operate from. The communication infrastructure isn't too hot either - especially since there was a quake not so long ago.

It is the concensus amongst the locals that Ste would have been found if he was dead (all bordering countries and islands are aware as are the morticians too) and not least the smell of a decomposing body would have attracted complaints, so the general feeling is that he may be up in the hills. It's not unusual for white europeans to seek work up there. It's quite a common thing apparently.

So we all keep on hoping, keep on believing and although this sounds strange - we know and our police have confirmed that Ste had nowt to run away from - he's alive.

We have heard of a few cases where people have had amnesia and turned up on the other side of the island too - only they had their mobiles and that with them. Ste had no mobile, very little money, it was his first night so he had no geographical awareness (of Malia let alone where it is on the island), and as it is his first time away has no idea of the language or even how to call home - especially if he has experienced some head trauma.

As Ste said to me at half time in the Ataturk 'Believe! believe! it's not lost'

Keep on believing and hoping he's home soon.

YNWA

Chris
Werthers Hag

Offline snouty17

• Kopite
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2006, 10:30:25 am »
good luck with the ongoing search! keep your heads up and bring him home! YNWA

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2006, 05:38:46 pm »
good luck with the ongoing search! keep your heads up and bring him home! YNWA

Echoed.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2006, 05:39:30 pm »
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #141 on: February 4, 2006, 07:37:47 am »
Still thinking of him.  Good luck mate.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 5, 2006, 12:57:24 am »
Was reading a thread on the LFC forum the other day about Benite and some of the current players, plus Robbie & Macca being in Pan American after beating Chelsea in the semi final last season. Only saw Steve twice after that night. The next time was in a side street outside a bar that had run out of beer in Istanbul, and there was a barrel of beer being sold in this side street so we all just stayed there. And lastly after the Sunderland home game this season.

Hopefully will see him in Paris in May.

Thought s are with his family at all times and especially his older brother Chris who ensured he was always sorted for games cash wise if needed.

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 5, 2006, 01:26:23 pm »
have PM'ed you let me know if its any help. good luck. stay strong
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #144 on: February 7, 2006, 02:33:13 pm »
Update from YNWA

Steve's family are in the process of organising a 'Charity Night' in the hope of raising cash to send family members back over to Malia.

The night will be based on an auction with several lots available. They are planning to hold it somewhere in or around the Chester area.

So, this is where you come in.

We are asking if you have anything to donate towards this auction. It can be literally anything that you feel may help towards the cause.

If you do have anything, could you fish it out and keep it safe, and when we have final details we will be in touch.

This appeal is not solely aimed at ynwa.tv members, so can you please spread the word to any other sites you may visit.

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #145 on: February 7, 2006, 05:08:46 pm »
Update from YNWA

could anybody who is close to the club not try and get a signed shirt etc to auction off with all the money going to his family im sure the club would give some stuff
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #146 on: February 9, 2006, 01:18:11 am »
THanks Mel. Keep believing. We have all seen worse odds back in may.
Werthers Hag

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #147 on: February 9, 2006, 01:39:21 am »
THanks Mel. Keep believing. We have all seen worse odds back in may.

Whilst the club formally has not done anything with regards to donations they have done their share in helping us raise publicity and plenty of contacts who know players and the management have done loads and we should have several singed products for auction / raffle.

Thanks to MBNA bank who have donated a siged ball, also to The Crewe Guardian who have donated a signed ball from the 2001 season. Also have an Aldo signed Tranmere shirt thanks to Steve H from work, plus there have been loads of really generous donations from YNWA including Gravy putting up a signed '96 shirt, Oakey red who has put up a signed pair of boxing gloves from Prince Nas amongst others.

Today I sent a box of pretty much all LFC momentos I have to be signed. Can't say who by and how but they'll be worth something if it gets done.

However, the signed momentos inculde my CL prgramme, CL final ticket, Juve, chelsea, Bayer, and Olympiakos stubs, and carling final ticket amongst many other stibs and also signed OLSFC mags, programmes etc and everything I have from last season beyond plus some programmes from this year as well as LFC mags.

My favourite will hopefully be the signed 5 Lira Turkish note.

There will also be a couple of signed DVDs and biographies if things work out, as well as 'I was there' Istanbul t-shirt and guide, pennant and other sundires .

Everything raised will go towards finding Ste and should he be found by then it will be split between the HJC and Michael Shields campaigns.

YNWA

Chris
Werthers Hag

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #148 on: February 9, 2006, 01:43:02 am »
Sorry, all products will be signed not singed :)

*never update after a beer or two*
Werthers Hag

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2006, 10:46:02 pm »
A bit of an update of some of the other items that have come directly to the family. There will be a Tranmere shirt signed by Aldo, a signed football from this years squad donated by MBNA bank, and lots of programmes, OLFSC and LFC magazines plus CL final programme and ticket, Balague and Llorez books and the papers from the day after the final all (hopefully!) signed by Rafa. There is also a signed ball from the 2001 squad which is being sorted as well as a signed Crewe Alex ball from their first season in the old div 1.

Edit: just as I posted this I had a text confirming that Rafa has signed everything mentioned above.
Werthers Hag

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2006, 11:56:42 am »
Chris..when's the auction?

Can we bid online?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2006, 11:02:13 pm »
sure Mel, some will be for raffle, some on the night and some via auction.

Hopefully this weekend should allow for a better idea of things of I get to see Kev and by bro Tony.
Werthers Hag

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2006, 09:24:08 pm »
Got the signed stuff back today so here's the list:

Newspapers:
Liverpool Echo 4th May (day after Chelsea semi)
The Times 26th May
The Mirror 26th May
The Mirror 27th May (parade edition)
Sunday People 29th May (souvenir edition with poster)
The Mirror 28th May (Scouse party headline front page edition)
Daily Mail 27th May (parade edition)
Express 27th May (parade edition)

Ticket stubs:
CL final
CL 2nd round qualifier 02/08/05
Birmingham away 12/02/05
Juve 05/04/05
Tsunami fundraiser 27/03/05
Season ticket sleeve (also signed by Paco on the night of the Chelsea semi
Man City 21/08/04 (Rafa's first PL home game)
Bolton 02/04/05
Spurs 14/01/06
Olympiakos 09/12/05
Leverkusen 22/02/05
WBA 31/12/05
Carling cup final Vs Chelsea 27/02/05
Boro 20/04/05

Magazines:
LFC official magazines:
31/01/06 (Fowler returns)
01/01/06 (Comeback Kings -Luton)
27/12/05 (Istanbul revisited)
07/02/06 (SG front cover)
20/12/05 (Christmas edition)
24/01/06 )Rafa front cover)
13/12/05 (Nando front)
03/09/06 (FA cup special - Garcia front)
17/01/06 (Kewell front)
06/12/05 (Crouch off the mark)

OLSC magazines:
December 05 (Garcia front)
June 05 (CL final edition)
March 05 (Nando front)
September 05 (Momo front)

Programmes:
Palace 13/11/04
WBA 31/12/05
Newcastle 26/12/05
Chelsea 02/10/05
Birmingham 01/02/06 (x2)
CL final 25/05/05 plus commemorative '49 finals magazine

Other:
OLSC 10 days that shook the kop DVD
OLSC Liverpool 3 - Olympiakos 1 DVD
Rafa Benitez - Paco Lloret book
A season on the brink - Guilleme Balague book
OLSC pennant
'I was there' T-shirt (handed out after the game at the airport)
Istanbul city guide (from the airport too)
'5' Lira note (my personal favourite to be honest)

Thanks to Rafa obviously for taking the time to sign every one of these items. The man truly is a legend.

Werthers Hag

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2006, 07:49:34 pm »
any updates on steve?

i know its a bit late, but how'd the auction go?

best luck mate. i hope he turns up soon. :wave

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2006, 06:06:13 am »
This is just horrible. My heart goes out to Steve, his friends, and his family. I hope they find some resolution soon. YNWA.
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline RedGeo

• Main Stander
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2006, 07:37:14 pm »
This is just horrible. My heart goes out to Steve, his friends, and his family. I hope they find some resolution soon. YNWA.
Totally agree with you.  It must be horrendous for all involved in this.  I've emailed a family I know in Rethmno, Crete.  As yet I've heard nothing back but the more people who now about it the beter.
YNWA

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2006, 03:25:24 am »
Thanks RedGeo and to all who have sent messages either publicly or privately.

We don't walk alone and neither does Stev. Believe me when I say that he will be home.

Werthers Hag

Offline Jay_Mc

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: April 3, 2006, 06:48:13 pm »
Knew all about this but didn't realise it was Malia where Steve went missing. I'm going there with the lads in the Summer and it does make you sit up and take notice to think what has actually happened. If there is anything you think I can do, or want me to do let me know via a PM.
What would you rather - Tell your kids you sat and moaned on an internet forum or that you done something about it

Join Your Union

www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Chris C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #158 on: May 1, 2006, 02:38:48 am »
Cheers Jay, will do mate.

Sorry for the late reply btw - been working on the auction most of these past few weeks
Werthers Hag

Offline Mivi

• Strawberry-flavoured Jayne Torvill ; 3,000,000 not out
  • Legacy Fan
  • By the way..........It's been emotional.
« Reply #159 on: May 9, 2006, 08:47:43 pm »
Hiya Chris. A bit late I know, but just a quick note to say it was a cracking night last Saturday & I was wondering how much you raised.
It's cause he loks like a badger. Women fucking love badgers.