Author Topic: Jack the Ripper - Identity to be Revealed ©  (Read 74185 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jack the Ripper - Identity Revealed
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 09:54:26 am »
One of those letters has 'i was not codding' in it. Always thought codding was an Irish phrase

Anyhoo, i enjoyed that, look forward to the rest

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 10:26:20 pm »
The site casebook.org is fascinating, Karl.

However, there is something bugging me.  I'm interested in why no-one seems to consider Tom Bulling as a serious candidate?  He is supposed to have written maybe 3 of the letters, and those letters all went to the Central News Agency he worked for, rather than a newspaper itself.

The casebook.org site however states that the Central News Agency would have received no benefit from receiving these letters as they were a News Agency rather than a Newspaper - a Newspaper receiving these may have had the motive of boosting circulation.  That seems to be an odd conclusion - if your News Agency is receiving exclusive letters like the 'Dear Boss' letters, more newspapers will sign up for your news content.

Indeed, elsewhere on the site it notes that the Agency grew very quickly.

Also, they seem to misinterpret a phrase used by Sir Melville Macnaghten when he said in his autobiography: "I have always thought I could discern the stained forefinger of the journalist - indeed, a year later, I had shrewd suspicions as to the actual author!"

The site concludes:

It isn't clear when the police began to suspect that the letters were the work of a journalist. Macnaghten suggests a year after the cessation of the crimes, but he didn't join the Metropolitan Police until 1889, so did he really mean a year after November 1888? Or did he mean a year after he joined (1890) or a year after the Coles murder (1893)? What is clear is that the police believed the letters genuine and continued to do so until well into the 1890s.

He doesn't say that at all, but taking the quote out of it's original context obfuscates Macnaghten's meaning of timing.  What he is suggesting is that he had a suspicion it was written by a Journalist and that initial supposition lead to him to believe he knew who it was a year later... (or so - after all it's a vague phrase we all use which can mean only a few months, especially if it overlaps two calendar years, someone will often say 'a year ago' meaning October last year!)

...they continued to believe the Dear Boss letter was genuine. Indeed, it remained the hallmark by which all other correspondences claiming to be from the Ripper was judged, comparisons of handwriting being compared to that of the Dear Boss letter. This was happening as late as 1896 when a letter signed 'Jack the Ripper' was compared to the Dear Boss letter and dismissed as a hoax on the grounds that the handwriting differed (which makes one question Macnaghten's claim that he suspected the identity of the journalist 'a year later'. Why, if a journalist was suspected in 1889, would handwriting comparisons still be made seven years later!).

The bolded portion there seems an odd conclusion; more to the point, why wouldn't they continue to compare handwriting?  A suspicion is one thing; you don't stop procedure and protocol based on suspicion.

So, what if the 'Dear Boss' letters were genuine, and they were written by Bulling?

Any ideas or thoughts about that, chaps?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »
Interest in Jack the Ripper exploded in 1970 when a new theory was published in which the grandson of Queen Victoria, Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, was accused of being the Ripper.
Stephen Knight - The Final Solution?

Loving this thread, just waiting for another name to pop up before I post it.

Back to reading it anyway ....

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 10:57:25 pm »
She's a crank. Her claim that it was Walter Sickert is garbage.
Stephen Knight suggested he collaborated with the Prince and a third person?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »
OK, nobody has mention the scouser James Maybrick.

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
  • 'Arry Redknapp,baggy faced bell end bastard.
Jack the Ripper - Identity Revealed
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »
Stephen Knight - The Final Solution?

Loving this thread, just waiting for another name to pop up before I post it.

Back to reading it anyway ....
Stephen Knights 'theory' was published in 1978 IIRC? Thomas Stowell was the first royal conspiracy crank in 1970 which included Walter Sickert along with Colonel Mustard et al.
"How many lives has Liverpool skipper? 'Tis a puzzle that's hard to unravel; Each game he plays is the game of his life''....

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 11:14:06 pm »

If you don't know who did it, fit up a Scouser with some fake evidence!
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:54 pm »
The site casebook.org is fascinating, Karl.

However, there is something bugging me.  I'm interested in why no-one seems to consider Tom Bulling as a serious candidate?  He is supposed to have written maybe 3 of the letters, and those letters all went to the Central News Agency he worked for, rather than a newspaper itself.

The casebook.org site however states that the Central News Agency would have received no benefit from receiving these letters as they were a News Agency rather than a Newspaper - a Newspaper receiving these may have had the motive of boosting circulation.  That seems to be an odd conclusion - if your News Agency is receiving exclusive letters like the 'Dear Boss' letters, more newspapers will sign up for your news content.

Indeed, elsewhere on the site it notes that the Agency grew very quickly.

Also, they seem to misinterpret a phrase used by Sir Melville Macnaghten when he said in his autobiography: "I have always thought I could discern the stained forefinger of the journalist - indeed, a year later, I had shrewd suspicions as to the actual author!"

The site concludes:

He doesn't say that at all, but taking the quote out of it's original context obfuscates Macnaghten's meaning of timing.  What he is suggesting is that he had a suspicion it was written by a Journalist and that initial supposition lead to him to believe he knew who it was a year later... (or so - after all it's a vague phrase we all use which can mean only a few months, especially if it overlaps two calendar years, someone will often say 'a year ago' meaning October last year!)

The bolded portion there seems an odd conclusion; more to the point, why wouldn't they continue to compare handwriting?  A suspicion is one thing; you don't stop procedure and protocol based on suspicion.

So, what if the 'Dear Boss' letters were genuine, and they were written by Bulling?

Any ideas or thoughts about that, chaps?
I took that disclosure as MacNaughten confusing both the 'Dear Boss' and 'From Hell' letters as from the same author-his knowledge of the case was secondary sourced and IIRC a closed case? The Met certainly suspected Bulling as the author of the red inked letters but I don't think the 'From Hell' letter was discounted as easily,MacNaughten seems to have obtained his opinions via Donald Swanson and Robert Anderson,
"How many lives has Liverpool skipper? 'Tis a puzzle that's hard to unravel; Each game he plays is the game of his life''....

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2012, 11:22:02 pm »
If you don't know who did it, fit up a Scouser with some fake evidence!
There's graffiti in the 'Poste House' toilet that reads 'Watch yer cock-Jack the Ripper drinks here'!

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2012, 11:27:57 pm »
Realistically, I don't really think anyone (especially involved in the investigation) could get those letters mixed up.  :)

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2012, 11:40:48 pm »
Realistically, I don't really think anyone (especially involved in the investigation) could get those letters mixed up.  :)
You only have to read the memoirs of the police officials involved in the case to realise that either there was a cover up(unlikely) or that they didn't have a clue as to the identity of JTR-no matter how big their ego.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:56 am »
Letters

The letters have me fascinated too, especially the 1st one.
Was he illiterate or cleverly hiding his illiteracy or
Was he a foreigner who could speak English and wrote as he spoke ?

There were over 300 letters posted to various people claiming to be the killer, its a pity we are unable to read all of them.

The gist of most letters indicate a man who is playing a game with the police. Teasing or challenging them.
Some of the letters indicate events from the murders and events to take place in future murders.
This is a regular occurance in serial killings. It's like 'they want to be caught'
But, the letters do give us something that cannot be denied and can be used in evidence.

Writing on the wall (Goulston Street)

The Jews are not the men that will not be blamed for nothing
Actual format of graffitti
The Juwes are not
The men That
Will not
be Blamed
for nothing
Much has been made of the Gouslton Street graffitti.
The striking of one of the words not
The Double negative. (which in reality was originally triple negative)
The strip or piece of leather covered in blood found close by.
Originally described as a piece of  'Leather Apron'
Some have suggested this clue was enough proof to hang 'John Pizer' known locally as Leather Apron.
Others have suggested the strip / piece of leather was more likely to be part of a sanitory towel. ie strip of leather & gauze.
What interests me are the date of writing, location and antisemeticism.

I do not believe I am the only one that believes mention ‘anti-Semitic’ and the first thing that springs to mind in ‘German’
Written in German we also get the double negative.
Die Juden sind die Männer, die für ‘nichts nicht’ getadelt werden

I included a Map of the locations of Murders and writing on the wall earlier but will repost shortly as it was ‘clipped’ automatically and cuts off the murders of 30-9-88.
Looking at the map and spread of the murders brings me to another point.

Whoever the killer was, he must have known the area of Whitechapel like the back of his hand.
But as the Police conducted to house to house search of the area, he must have lived close but outside the ring fenced area.
He must also have had a good reason to be in Whitechapel in the middle of the night if stopped.
I believe he was a night shift worker, working in the area.
A worker who could go missing for at least an hour or two each night without being missed. (Ie the work actually continued)
What trades did work overnight in Whitechapel ?
What trades were working where Knives were used ?

Forget pub workers, they are all closed by 11pm or midnight.
Forget River workers, they didn’t work in the dark.
Forget milkman, they didn’t deliver to doorsteps in those days.
Forget the Police (this is not an Agatha Christie novel or the ‘Mousetrap’)

A big question has always been, why did he stop ? Well I’m no psychiatrist here but, why did he start ?
However it will help if we could find a reason why he stopped.

Another critical piece of evidence to me was finding something that is available now and easily searchable that wasn’t accessible to the police in 1888-90.
This is written evidence which proves both Presence in the area & Occupation ?
 Before I reveal who I think my Contender is, I will write a check list so people can tick off if he meets all criteria.
If you have any criteria you wish to add to my list please ask.

(to be continued)
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2012, 11:06:30 am »
new map (hopefully not auto clipped this time)
Murders (red circles)
Message on wall (red tyriangle)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:12:08 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:19 am »
You only have to read the memoirs of the police officials involved in the case to realise that either there was a cover up(unlikely) or that they didn't have a clue as to the identity of JTR-no matter how big their ego.

Intersting point.
I dont believe there was a conspiracy to hide the identity of the killer, too fanciful.
However, If a man worked in the area every night, I beleive he would have been known by at least one Beat Bobbie if only being on first name terms.
He must have been known or seen often by someone in the area otherwise he wouldn't have been able to stalk his next victim.
The killing field is spread in such a way he must have been aware of most areas where prositutes plied their trade.
My 'contender' worked every night in the area for over 15 years prior to the murders.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:46 pm »
Intersting point.
I dont believe there was a conspiracy to hide the identity of the killer, too fanciful.
However, If a man worked in the area every night, I beleive he would have been known by at least one Beat Bobbie if only being on first name terms.
He must have been known or seen often by someone in the area otherwise he wouldn't have been able to stalk his next victim.
The killing field is spread in such a way he must have been aware of most areas where prositutes plied their trade.
My 'contender' worked every night in the area for over 15 years prior to the murders.

A self-employed (e.g can come and as he pleases) Kosher butcher working at Spitalfields Market .... like Sam Abrahams, who died mysteriously in 1896....?  - or someone similar?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:25:07 pm by Lord Roger Hunt »
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »
A self-employed (e.g can come and as he pleases) Kosher butcher working at Spitalfields Market .... Sam Abrahams, who died mysteriously in 1896....?  - or his father maybe?

Couple of questions for you to consider
What time did Spitalfields open in the morning ?
If during work he went missing (without being missed) who did his work ?
The absence of any work would suggest he had been away.
Would he scrawl anti-semticism on a wall ?

On a seperate topic, I have always been curious about the name 'Annie'
Two of his victims had the name and Two others from 'possibles list' were also named 'Annie'
Did the name have any relevance to the killer ?

I will be posting a murder checklist shortly.
I am hoping that people here will use the checklist to tick off if their Suspect / Contender meets all the criteria listed.

I want at least 30 different people to post ;
Who they think Jack the Ripper was (your own idea or from the list below)
and answer, does he meet all the criteria list by answersing YES to all

To help get the 30 responses urge your friends here or at home to post
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:17:55 pm by WOOLTONIAN »

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2012, 12:59:54 pm »
The Victims

Generally Accepted (Canonical) Victims

Mary Annie Nichols
31 August 1888

Annie Chapman
8 Sept. 1888

Elizabeth Stride
30 Sept. 1888

Catherine Eddowes
30 Sept. 1888

Mary Jane Kelly
9 November 1888

Other Alleged Ripper Victims

Annie Millwood
25 February 1888

Ada Wilson
28 March 1888

Emma Smith
3 April 1888

Martha Tabram
7 August 1888

Annie Farmer
20 November 1888

Rose Mylett
20 December 1888

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:54 pm »
Popular suspects
detailed info on all can be found on

http://www.casebook.org/suspects/

Prince Albert Victor

Joseph Barnett

Alfred Napier Blanchard

W H Bury

Lewis Carroll

David Cohen

Dr T Neill Cream

Frederick Deeming

Montague John Druitt

Carl Feigenbaum

Fogelma

George Hutchison

Hyam Hyams

Jill the Ripper

James Kelly

Severin Klosowski

George Chapman

Aaron Kominsky

Jacob Levy

James Maybrick

Michael Ostrog

Dr Pedachenko

Walter Sickert

James Kenneth Stephen

R D’Onston Stephenson

Alois Szemeredy

Francis Thompson

Francis Tumblety

Nicholas Vassily

Dr John Williams

I might as well let you know, before I decided to have a go at this myself, my main suspect has always been Francis Tumblety

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2012, 01:34:27 pm »
Here is the checklist I promised to post to help you rule out suspects.

THE CHECKLIST

Did he live in the vicinity of the East End, but outside Whitechapel ?
Walking distance away ?
Was the ‘writing on the wall’ between the murder scene and where he lived ?
I.e. written on his way home or back to work ?
Did the letter(s) get posted between the murder scene(s) and where he lived ?
Posted in an area en-route, on his way to or from home or work ?
Were there enough clues in the letters to be considered ‘Taunts’ to his identity ?
Did he know the area of Whitechapel as well if not better than anyone local ?
Did he work in Whitechapel ?
Was he a night shift worker in Whitechapel ?
Did he have access to Knives in his works ?
Long Knives ?
Could he go missing during work hours without being missed for up to 2 hours i.e. have an alibi ?
Could he walk the streets of Whitechapel between Midnight and 6am without causing to much suspicion ?
Was he anti-Semitic ? Or Was he a German ?
Is there any sexual tension between him and his wife ?
Has the name ‘Annie’ (4 Victims) any connection to him ?
Did he have the Means ?
Did he have a Motive ?
Did he have the Opportunity ?
Was he listed on the 1881 census (in the area) ?
Was he listed on the 1891 census (outside the area) ?
Was there a good reason why the killings did not continue after 1889 ?

Forgive me this one thing for the present.
Although I can answer 'YES' to all of the above for my Suspect
 I have kept back TWO critical questions which I can also answer YES to.
These are Two Questions to which NO ONE ELSE or NO OTHER SUSPECT  will be able to say  'YES'

These two questions will be posted when I reveal who I think was Jack the Ripper
Karl
(to be continued)

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »
I might as well let you know, before I decided to have a go at this myself, my main suspect has always been Francis Tumblety

See now I never understood why people could think it was Tumblety. Well, I suppose I could understand it, it just never seemed quite right. Personally I've always reckoned it was either Jacob Levy or someone who was never counted among the suspects; a random grocer or something.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »
These two questions will be posted when I reveal who I think was Jack the Ripper
?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2012, 02:32:39 pm »
?
He used to think it was Tumblety, not any more

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:37:14 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »
Oh shit yeah. Anyway, looking forward to the next part!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2012, 02:56:20 pm »
Letters

The letters have me fascinated too, especially the 1st one.
Was he illiterate or cleverly hiding his illiteracy or
Was he a foreigner who could speak English and wrote as he spoke ?

to be honest I think the English is too natural for a foreigner. There's someone foreign enough to not capitalise I and misspell 'my' and 'her', but familiar enough with English to start a letter 'Dear Boss' or 'Old Boss'?

Also I don't think any of the letters was written by a German, at least not by one that learned to write in a German school. The handwriting is very different from the German handwriting of that time. Up until the Nazis said it was 'Jewish', German kids learned a type of 'blackletter' script that looks quite different - the 's' looks nearly like a 'f', for example. Obviously handwriting can change, especially if the people you live with can't read it, but I don't think somebody would change their writing that much but still not improve their spelling at all.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2012, 03:34:42 pm »
I always liked the idea of a Jill the Ripper. Another prostitute wouldn't raise an eyebrow while walking around the streets at night.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2012, 03:43:37 pm »
I always liked the idea of a Jill the Ripper. Another prostitute wouldn't raise an eyebrow while walking around the streets at night.

A prostitute who may well be covered in blood, though?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2012, 03:46:31 pm »
This is a superb thread imo

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »
A prostitute who may well be covered in blood, though?

I meant before she did the dirty deed (done dirt cheap).
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2012, 04:07:35 pm »
This is fun. I live in Whitechapel. I think i'll go check out some of these locations on a walk this week.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2012, 04:13:05 pm »
This is fun. I live in Whitechapel. I think i'll go check out some of these locations on a walk this week.

I used to occasionally drink in a pub in Houndsditch and you often got a hoard of Japanese and American tourists outside as they did the Jack the Ripper walking tour. Whoever thought that one up, must have made a few quid..  ;D

EDIT: Might have been Middlesex Street, thinking about it..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:05:48 pm by Les Willis »

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 04:32:28 pm »
I'm another one bookmarking this thread.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2012, 04:34:33 pm »
Enormously unlikely....

Female serial killers? Almost unheard of
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »
Couple of questions for you to consider
What time did Spitalfields open in the morning ?
If during work he went missing (without being missed) who did his work ?
The absence of any work would suggest he had been away.
Would he scrawl anti-semticism on a wall ?

First of all, I think this is brilliant - thank you.  And I don't pretend to be an expert, as you are, obviously.

But, fighting my corner a little longer (knowing full well that you'll deliver a knock out blow), I've answered the points you make: 

What time did Spitalfields open in the morning ?  Are you maybe putting too much weight on this?  He lived in Middlesex St, about 5 mins from Whitechapel. What about if he committed the murders on his days off?   

If during work he went missing (without being missed) who did his work ?  Again, Abrahams was self-employed (mostly unemployed) so would work as and when he could.   He wouldn't be missed by anyone in this case

The absence of any work would suggest he had been away.  Allegedly he was living with his father and siblings in Middlesex Street at the time of the murders

Would he scrawl anti-semticism on a wall ? Is it Anti-semetic or the confused scribblings of an illiterate, sexually frustrated young man, who was possibly the victim of cruel anti-semetic barbs from street prostitutes who he lived amongst? Could the scribbling on the wall be evidence of him trying to vent his anger but getting mixed up?

There is a similarity (although admittedly that's all) to the ritual slaughter of the prostitutes and the ritual of slaughtering of animals as written in the Talmud (although the Murderer went a little further, probably to vent  anger and sexual frustration):

traditional Jewish thought has expressed the view that all meat must come from animals which have been slaughtered according to Jewish law. These strict guidelines require the animal be killed by a single cut across the throat to a precise depth, severing both carotid arteries, both jugular veins, both vagus nerves, the trachea and the esophagus, no higher than the epiglottis and no lower than where cilia begin inside the trachea, causing the animal to bleed to death. Orthodox Jews argue that this ensures the animal dies instantly without unnecessary suffering,

The 'bleeding out' of the 'animal' is totally consisent with the ritual slaughter. The care the Murderer took to make sure that he wasn't splashed with blood was possibly him not wishing to be incriminated but could it also be because it is forbidden in the Talmud?  The familiarity with the various organs, skilful use of the sharp knife and the ritual laying out of the body all reasonably consistent. Factor in a sexually frustrated young man, surrounded by  lewd behaviour that he is witness to but  excluded from and maybe you have a motive too?

(Pops tin hat on waiting for this theory to be totally trashed... :))

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2012, 05:04:51 pm »

The FA have - it's a stitch up. 

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 06:02:51 pm »
After an examination of the main suspects I think the most likely in my mind for a couple of reasons would be Joseph Barnett.

1. His motive seems psychologically compelling. I don't really believe that Jack was a mad man who ended up in an asylum, quite frankly from my rudimentary knowledge of serial killers they're not traditional mad as hatters types and so I ruled out all those suspects.
2. As Wooltonian said previously, the simplest answer may be the right one. It would make sense to me that someone who wanted his lover to stop prostituting herself may well do something like this.

The only doubts I have are the following:

1. Perhaps he killed himself BECAUSE she was murdered, not because he'd done it. That's a big question, the other is;
2. Would someone who was doing it for his lover murder in this way? I'm not an expert on how to kill, and what way you kill (the crime scenes) and what things represent but the sexual element that seems to be apparent in the Jack murders isn't really accounted for when you look at Barnett.

I retain the right to change my mind at any time as to who is most likely though :D

Edit: The above suspect doesn't answer all your questions in the affirmative, but I don't think in my mind the main suspect has to. I'd rather concentrate on psychological make up and motive rather than which routes he would take home, what job would let him sneak off etc. As for the importance of the name Annie I'd be interested to know how common a name it was at the time, and particularly among prostitutes/the poor?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:15:30 pm by Enemy »
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Alex Raisbeck

• Kopite
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 06:42:03 pm »
I've always thought that too much has been made of both the killers supposed anatomical knowledge (this theory comes from the opinion of ONE coroner) and the importance of the letters/Goulston St. grafitti,I think it more likely that 'Jack' was an unassuming local man,sporadically employed and that he was interviewed by police and satisfied them as to his innocence,my opinion is that he isn't one of the recognised suspects and that his identity has been lost to time.
The only 'suspect' that I feel is worthy of deeper investigation than he has already had is George Hutchinson whose elaborate witness statement,offer to identify the body and the fact that he was seen loitering outside the last victims lodging half an hour before the accepted T.O.D. seems to fit in with the behaviour pattern of a 'serial killer',admittedly they are also traits of the 'attention seeker'.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »
new map (hopefully not auto clipped this time)
Murders (red circles)
Message on wall (red tyriangle)

What order were they in, Karl?

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 10:56:39 pm »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 11:08:02 pm »
Always thought it was a Jill.

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 03:30:08 am »
I'm following this thread. JTR stuff are always interesting.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager