Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 338970 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: The 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #1720 on: December 6, 2018, 03:50:13 pm »
Elvis Costello grew up in Liverpool.

I just always imagined he was from London. Probably because how he dressed and his singing voice sounded Southern.

Turns out he grew up on Merseyside and you can hear a slight Liverpool accent in his talking voice.

He did an interview with Richard E Grant for the Penguin Podcast where he talks about his childhood in these parts. Unlikely he would have got into music the same way anywhere else. Fascinating stuff.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1721 on: December 6, 2018, 04:28:34 pm »
He did an interview with Richard E Grant for the Penguin Podcast where he talks about his childhood in these parts. Unlikely he would have got into music the same way anywhere else. Fascinating stuff.

I can't remember who the interviewer was for mine. I think it was actually Adam Buxton on his podcast.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1722 on: December 6, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
I can't remember who the interviewer was for mine. I think it was actually Adam Buxton on his podcast.

Haven't heard that one, but I do enjoy Buxton's podcasts. Will track it down.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1723 on: December 6, 2018, 04:37:57 pm »
Haven't heard that one, but I do enjoy Buxton's podcasts. Will track it down.

I take that back. No wonder I couldnt remember, it was on Freakonomics, an American podcast by a fun economist. He just must have stayed at the same hotel as Elvis.

The podcast interviewer wrote a famous book about 10 years ago called Freakonomics which highlight some actual facts against popular general world beliefs.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1724 on: December 6, 2018, 05:00:41 pm »
I take that back. No wonder I couldnt remember, it was on Freakonomics, an American podcast by a fun economist. He just must have stayed at the same hotel as Elvis.

The podcast interviewer wrote a famous book about 10 years ago called Freakonomics which highlight some actual facts against popular general world beliefs.

I remember the book, but haven't read it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1725 on: December 6, 2018, 11:05:41 pm »
One you won't give a shit about: the cousin of TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp is the designer Cath Kidston.

Imagine the amount of twee shit in their gaff at Christmas.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1726 on: December 7, 2018, 01:48:16 am »
A blue whale's tongue weighs 2.7 tonnes (3 tons).

A blue whale at birth weighs as much as a full grown hippo, and gains 91 kg (200 lbs) per day.

My final fact about blue whales is that they are fucking big. :wave
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1727 on: December 7, 2018, 03:44:32 pm »
Apparently you can cough up a blood clot the exact shape of part of your lung, like this guy did.
On Tuesday, The New England Journal of Medicine tweeted the most recent addition to its photo series of the most visually arresting medical anomalies. The image is of a mysterious, branchlike structure that, posted elsewhere, would probably pass for a cherry-red chunk of some underground root system or a piece of bright reef coral. But this is no creature of the deep. It’s a completely intact, six-inch-wide clot of human blood in the exact shape of the right bronchial tree, one of the two key tubular networks that ferry air to and from the lungs. And it was coughed up in one piece.
Warning -- the pic is :o

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/12/bronchial-blood-clot/577480/
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1728 on: December 7, 2018, 04:46:07 pm »
Think she did the latest Liverpool home kit. Hence the stupid collar business.

What was that kit designer called who got hammered by the more volatile members of our fanbase? Noz something?!

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: December 7, 2018, 04:50:16 pm »
What was that kit designer called who got hammered by the more volatile members of our fanbase? Noz something?!

Oh yeah, did the first few Warrior kits I think. With the "tribal" thing on the away kit. People got very cross about that one.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1730 on: December 7, 2018, 05:04:11 pm »
Apparently you can cough up a blood clot the exact shape of part of your lung, like this guy did. Warning -- the pic is :o

Fucking hell, must have been like a scene from Stranger Things.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1731 on: December 7, 2018, 08:52:33 pm »
A newt used to be called an ewt.

But somewhere in the Middle Ages, the n transferred.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1732 on: December 7, 2018, 09:41:21 pm »
A newt used to be called an ewt.

But somewhere in the Middle Ages, the n transferred.

And orange used to be norange. 

In Spanish an orange is naranja.

So a norange became an orange.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: December 7, 2018, 10:28:32 pm »
Elvis Costello grew up in Liverpool.

I just always imagined he was from London. Probably because how he dressed and his singing voice sounded Southern.

Turns out he grew up on Merseyside and you can hear a slight Liverpool accent in his talking voice.

That's put my mind at rest, cos I thought I was going mad. I always thought he was Scouse, then I found out a couple of years ago he was actually from London, so I thought I'd imagined the Liverpool stuff. I didn't realise he had lived up here and had Scouse parents.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1734 on: December 8, 2018, 12:01:10 pm »
Apparently you can cough up a blood clot the exact shape of part of your lung, like this guy did. Warning -- the pic is :o

the person did die though

so although you 'can', in the long term, 'you can't'

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1735 on: December 8, 2018, 11:36:45 pm »
That's put my mind at rest, cos I thought I was going mad. I always thought he was Scouse, then I found out a couple of years ago he was actually from London, so I thought I'd imagined the Liverpool stuff. I didn't realise he had lived up here and had Scouse parents.
Yeah, I always thought he was Scouse too, never knew he was from London at all. He was at the Tranmere friendly last year, saw him in the beer tent before the game.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: December 8, 2018, 11:38:41 pm »

Noz Hyde?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1737 on: December 8, 2018, 11:41:36 pm »
Noz Hyde?

I think he did when he read the fan reaction.

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: December 9, 2018, 05:48:30 pm »
In the movie Bohemian Rhapsody, it was mentioned that Freddie Mercury's famous overbite was caused by four extra incisors in his upper jaw. It seems to be true. He never wanted them removed because he thought it might change his voice a bit.

Also in the movie - not sure how true this really is -- he bought a mansion in the 80s and each of his cats had its own giant room.
― Christine Szymanski

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1739 on: December 9, 2018, 06:01:13 pm »
So Freddie had a veritable Pussy Palace? Who'd have thunk it......

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1740 on: December 9, 2018, 08:00:18 pm »
Dolphins can keep half of their brain awake to swim and get air, while the other half of their brain is asleep.

A book I just read featured humans hibernating over winter, and some of the ones who stayed awake did this. One of the characters did and became two separate people depending on which half of the brain was active. One half was the protagonist's boss and the other half was the main villain.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1741 on: December 30, 2018, 01:45:18 am »
Ever wonder how to get rid of the "fishy" odor of fish you're going to eat?

Water in the open ocean is about 3% salt by weight, but the optimal levels of dissolved minerals inside an animal cell is less than 1%. In order to maintain fluid balance, ocean creatures must fill their cells with amino acids and amines to counter the saltiness of seawater. Ocean fish tend to rely on trimethylamine oxide (TMAO) for this purpose.

The problem is that when fish are killed, bacteria and fish enzymes convert TMAO into trimethylamine (TMA), which gives off the characteristic “fishy” odor. (This is alkaline) This smell can be reduced in two ways. TMA on the surface of the fish can be rinsed off with tap water. Treating the fish with acidic ingredients such as lemon, vinegar, or tomato can also cause TMA to bind to water and become less volatile. Thus the odor compounds do not reach the nose.(alkaline TMA + acidic lemon juice = neutral substance i.e. no odor)

I've used vinegar and lemon juice with great success. I've not tried the rest of these, but since they are all acidic, they should work too. (ph 0=acid, 7=neutral, 14=alkaline)
lemon juice (pH: 2.00–2.60)
limes (pH: 2.00–2.80)
blue plums (pH: 2.80–3.40)
grapes (pH: 2.90–3.82)
pomegranates (pH: 2.93–3.20)
grapefruits (pH: 3.00–3.75)
blueberries (pH: 3.12–3.33)
pineapples (pH: 3.20–4.00)
apples (pH: 3.30–4.00)
peaches (pH: 3.30–4.05)
oranges (pH: 3.69–4.34)
tomatoes (pH: 4.30–4.90)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:48:02 am by soxfan »
― Christine Szymanski

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1742 on: December 30, 2018, 08:17:07 am »

Water in the open ocean is about 3% salt by weight, but the optimal levels of dissolved minerals inside an animal cell is less than 1%. In order to maintain fluid balance, ocean creatures must fill their cells with amino acids and amines to counter the saltiness of seawater. Ocean fish tend to rely on trimethylamine oxide (TMAO) for this purpose.

The problem is that when fish are killed, bacteria and fish enzymes convert TMAO into trimethylamine (TMA), which gives off the characteristic “fishy” odor. (This is alkaline) This smell can be reduced in two ways. TMA on the surface of the fish can be rinsed off with tap water. Treating the fish with acidic ingredients such as lemon, vinegar, or tomato can also cause TMA to bind to water and become less volatile. Thus the odor compounds do not reach the nose.(alkaline TMA + acidic lemon juice = neutral substance i.e. no odor)

I've used vinegar and lemon juice with great success. I've not tried the rest of these, but since they are all acidic, they should work too. (ph 0=acid, 7=neutral, 14=alkaline)

Chips work for me.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1743 on: December 30, 2018, 06:17:40 pm »

Bonjela works for me.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1744 on: December 30, 2018, 06:59:47 pm »
Number fun....if you were born in the last century, 78 - your current age + 40 = the year of your birth.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1745 on: December 31, 2018, 02:14:50 pm »
I've just found out The Magic Roundabout is actually a French show, called Le Manège enchanté.

"The British (BBC) version was distinct from the French version in that the narration was entirely new, created by Eric Thompson from just the visuals, and not based on the script by Serge Danot. Thompson worked without any translation of the French scripts, and the English-language version bears no resemblance to them."

I had no idea.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1746 on: December 31, 2018, 02:48:46 pm »
I've just found out The Magic Roundabout is actually a French show, called Le Manège enchanté.

"The British (BBC) version was distinct from the French version in that the narration was entirely new, created by Eric Thompson from just the visuals, and not based on the script by Serge Danot. Thompson worked without any translation of the French scripts, and the English-language version bears no resemblance to them."

I had no idea.

Eric Thompson was the father of Emma Thompson, the actor.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1747 on: December 31, 2018, 03:52:05 pm »
Eric Thompson was the father of Emma Thompson, the actor.
Yup - but the version I heard was that the Magic Roundabout was Belgian, not French. Additionally, I heard that there were no translations......because there were no scripts or plotlines! He made the whole thing up out of his head per episode.

Dougal & the Blue Cat remains one of my favourite ever films and I treasure my copy of it! It's also one hell of a CT for someone on RAWK ;D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1748 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »

Doubt me bird is gonna let me put that lot on her fanny.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1749 on: December 31, 2018, 04:38:17 pm »
Yup - but the version I heard was that the Magic Roundabout was Belgian, not French. Additionally, I heard that there were no translations......because there were no scripts or plotlines! He made the whole thing up out of his head per episode.

Dougal & the Blue Cat remains one of my favourite ever films and I treasure my copy of it! It's also one hell of a CT for someone on RAWK ;D

I heard it was French. They gave him a script to translate for the pilot, but he found it much more fun to just watch and make it up for himself, so they didn't bother after that.

The Blue Cat is a blue Manc, if I recall.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1750 on: December 31, 2018, 04:39:32 pm »
Doubt me bird is gonna let me put that lot on her fanny.
:lmao

So wrong in so many ways.....

But I think you’ve just broken the internet.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1751 on: December 31, 2018, 08:16:48 pm »

I had no idea.

The same was true of Dogtanian and the three Muskehounds which was (not) translated from a Spanish/Japanese animation.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1752 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:36 pm »
The same was true of Dogtanian and the three Muskehounds which was (not) translated from a Spanish/Japanese animation.

Dogtanian I knew, I think also Ulysses 31. cities of Gold also wasn’t english, and I assume Willy Fog wasn’t either.

I’ve always thought of Magic Roundabout as quintessentially british, hence my surprise ;D
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1753 on: December 31, 2018, 10:15:30 pm »
Gin gets you really pissed ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1754 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:34 pm »
John Peel was on TOTP in 1971 with Rod Stewart pretending to play the mandolin on Maggie May

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #1755 on: January 1, 2019, 05:46:29 pm »
John Peel was on TOTP in 1971 with Rod Stewart pretending to play the mandolin on Maggie May

I knew that  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #1756 on: January 6, 2019, 05:18:45 am »
Melbourne is closer to Cairns than Brisbane
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #1757 on: January 6, 2019, 05:20:09 am »
The 8 of diamonds card has the figure 8 in its pattern
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1758 on: January 6, 2019, 10:39:30 am »
Melbourne is closer to Cairns than Brisbane

Must be missing something here because it clearly isn't....

Do you mean Melbourne is closer to Brisbane than Brisbane is to Cairns? Because that's the only sensible way I can interpret it.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2019, 10:41:02 am by elmo_swatloski »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1759 on: January 6, 2019, 01:08:00 pm »
Must be missing something here because it clearly isn't....

Do you mean Melbourne is closer to Brisbane than Brisbane is to Cairns? Because that's the only sensible way I can interpret it.

Yeah that’s hurt my head too!