Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 523408 times)

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #3360 on: January 17, 2021, 01:49:29 am »
The real Ronaldo was injured a lot, was he not elite?

won the world cup twice, balon dor twice i think, 3 copa americas, world player of the year couple times...
hmmm i'm gonna go with you on a yes for that.... beast he was , yeah loads of injuries though...
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3361 on: January 17, 2021, 02:28:01 am »

He was an automatic pic for the last 2/3rds of 2018/19 - in fact he probably performed better than VVD did from January up to the MOTM performance in Madrid for my money.

Matip was an automatic pick as you say. What you failed to illiterate was that Joe Gomez underwent ankle surgery in December 2018 and didn't return until April 2019.

You mentioned part of being elite is being a 'go to' player - who has Klopp gone too when playing our Everton/City/United rivals this season? Even if he's barely trained, he's been the 'go to' pick.
You sort of lose the right to claim the high ground, warning against hyperbole, when you started this conversation saying Matip is 'miles from elite' and then using 'pretty abject'

Since VVD got injured the go-to pick for centre back has been central midfield player Fabinho.

So in terms of availability and effecting the first team Matip has been abject.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #3362 on: January 17, 2021, 03:20:03 am »
So....... err.... What's this Matip fella like then?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3363 on: January 17, 2021, 04:26:24 am »
Lukaku was 13-15yrs old and Benteke was 16-18 when Agger was in his prime.

So you’ve just proved my point you’re remembering injured Agger and not prime Agger.

Nope gave a few examples throughout his career. There were too many to name.

He was always too weak I felt & im not sure how the end of his career is an excuse. He wasn’t that old, he should be just as strong if not stronger.

Matip is a much better player than Agger.

You don’t see Matip or Van Dijk get bullied physically. Doubt you ever will, regardless of the stage of their careers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:28:44 am by JordanTremenderson »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3364 on: January 17, 2021, 10:27:03 am »
Nope gave a few examples throughout his career. There were too many to name.

He was always too weak I felt & im not sure how the end of his career is an excuse. He wasn’t that old, he should be just as strong if not stronger.

Matip is a much better player than Agger.

You don’t see Matip or Van Dijk get bullied physically. Doubt you ever will, regardless of the stage of their careers.

No you gave one example from the prime of his career, Drogba, who bullied every defender he went up against.

I'm Joel Matip's biggest fan, I've also seen him be bullied by Ashley Barnes on occasion.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3365 on: January 17, 2021, 10:50:23 am »
Matip was an automatic pick as you say. What you failed to illiterate was that Joe Gomez underwent ankle surgery in December 2018 and didn't return until April 2019.
You can blame yourself for that. You suggested Lovren was an alternative, and he did play a few important games (such as Man City at home). So yes, he was an automatic first pick in every way that you framed (he was available, he was 'go to' and he played great).

Since VVD got injured the go-to pick for centre back has been central midfield player Fabinho.
Haha you're silly.

Do you know who was already playing at centre back on the day VVD got injured? It was Matip (with Gomez on the bench). I guess you just don't know what 'go to' means?

So in terms of availability and effecting the first team Matip has been abject.

Ooh aren't you edgy Al. Abject is an ugly snide word for you to use for someone who can't get healthy.

He's played in 8 of our 17 league games o far, and it'll go up to 50% when he plays this evening.

Bafflingly bad shout that you think he hasn't effected the team. Have you missed his performances? Do you think we draw against City in our most important league game of the season so far without Matip?

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3366 on: January 17, 2021, 11:09:17 am »
So....... err.... What's this Matip fella like then?

Fucking boss.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3367 on: January 17, 2021, 11:32:48 am »
Please be fit enough to start.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3368 on: January 17, 2021, 11:47:15 am »
Jurgen just taking the bubble wrap off him now......

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3369 on: January 17, 2021, 11:59:57 am »
Jurgen just taking the bubble wrap off him now......

;D yeah that - question is does he start or on the bench for 2nd half 20min sub role?
Did anybody see or hear about him training the last 2-3 days with team for this match?

I think Klopp and medical team have done everything to get him fit for this match so I would not be surprised to see him in the final 20 for this match  - either as sub and small chance as player.

#miracleMatip

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3370 on: January 17, 2021, 02:18:59 pm »
;D yeah that - question is does he start or on the bench for 2nd half 20min sub role?
Did anybody see or hear about him training the last 2-3 days with team for this match?

I think Klopp and medical team have done everything to get him fit for this match so I would not be surprised to see him in the final 20 for this match  - either as sub and small chance as player.

#miracleMatip

He trained yes
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3371 on: January 17, 2021, 02:55:56 pm »
You can blame yourself for that. You suggested Lovren was an alternative, and he did play a few important games (such as Man City at home). So yes, he was an automatic first pick in every way that you framed (he was available, he was 'go to' and he played great).
Haha you're silly.

In 18/19 Matip was far from an automatic pick for his first 16 games of that season Matip started 3 times and was on the bench for the other 13. In the same timeframe Gomez started 14 games and was on the bench for four games.

So prior to Gomez's injury Matip clearly wasn't an automatic starter.

Do you know who was already playing at centre back on the day VVD got injured? It was Matip (with Gomez on the bench). I guess you just don't know what 'go to' means?

Ooh aren't you edgy Al. Abject is an ugly snide word for you to use for someone who can't get healthy.

He's played in 8 of our 17 league games o far, and it'll go up to 50% when he plays this evening.

Bafflingly bad shout that you think he hasn't effected the team. Have you missed his performances? Do you think we draw against City in our most important league game of the season so far without Matip?

His injury record is abject and the reason for me that he cannot be regarded as an elite centre back. When he plays he is usually good to very good and as I said earlier I will be delighted if he can start tonight. What cannot be underestimated is the disruption that having an injury prone centre back causes a defence.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3372 on: January 18, 2021, 06:36:15 am »
Was there any setback in his recovery? - not a shock that he didn't start yesterday, but not being in the squad at all or even traveling with the team was surprising after having a couple of days of full training. Hopefully all is still OK and he's in for Burnley.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3373 on: January 18, 2021, 09:19:50 am »
Was there any setback in his recovery? - not a shock that he didn't start yesterday, but not being in the squad at all or even traveling with the team was surprising after having a couple of days of full training. Hopefully all is still OK and he's in for Burnley.

Klopp said he would be back in the next session.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3374 on: January 18, 2021, 09:26:19 am »
Probably massively optimistic but it'd be great if he could give us a month from here for these, or at least most of them, assume he'll have to be rested for West Ham or Brighton :

21.01.2021   ENG PR   Liverpool   -   Burnley   
28.01.2021   ENG PR   Tottenham   -   Liverpool   
31.01.2021   ENG PR   West Ham   -   Liverpool   
03.02.2021   ENG PR   Liverpool   -   Brighton   
06.02.2021   ENG PR   Liverpool   -   Manchester City   
13.02.2021   ENG PR   Leicester City   -   Liverpool   
16.02.2021   UEFA CL   RB Leipzig   -   Liverpool   
20.02.2021   ENG PR   Liverpool   -   Everton

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3375 on: January 18, 2021, 09:29:05 am »
Probably massively optimistic but it'd be great if he could give us a month from here for these, or at least most of them, assume he'll have to be rested for West Ham or Brighton :

He wont. Unfortunately he seems a bit of a physical wreck and not surprised there were stories of us looking for a defender to replace him.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #3376 on: January 18, 2021, 09:32:33 am »

He will play at best one quarter of those games.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3377 on: January 18, 2021, 09:46:32 am »
We need to start looking for a replacement soon, too unreliable and this season it has cost us.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3378 on: January 18, 2021, 09:49:06 am »
We need to at one point start looking for a replacement.
We do, sadly. Instantly world class when fit, but borderline pointless when he's only available for 25% of the games, like Agger.

Offline dutchkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3379 on: January 18, 2021, 10:40:24 am »

if he plays 60-70% of the games that would be fantastic

Offline dutchkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3380 on: January 18, 2021, 10:45:24 am »
We do, sadly. Instantly world class when fit, but borderline pointless when he's only available for 25% of the games, like Agger.

Please drop the Agger link here - he played a lot under stress and painkillers (Anti inflammatory medication) when he should have been rested &, better coaching,  alternative training and diet could have helped him.  Agger gave a lot  to  this club and him playing while injured cut his career short. you

welcome back Joel Matip - we need you till Virgil and Joe are both back fit and playing

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3381 on: January 18, 2021, 10:48:09 am »
Please drop the Agger link here - he played a lot under stress and painkillers (Anti inflammatory medication) when he should have been rested &, better coaching,  alternative training and diet could have helped him.  Agger gave a lot  to  this club and him playing while injured cut his career short.
I know, Agger was one of mye favorite players. Point was both are fantastic players, but ruined by injury. Maybe Matip goes through the same, I suspect a lot of players do

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #3382 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:54 am »
We need to start looking for a replacement soon, too unreliable and this season it has cost us.

This should have started quite some time ago and no doubt Edwards has found possible options, FSG don't want to spend which is understandable given the loss of revenues, however there is now a distinct possibility we don't get top 4 which would have disastrous consequences for revenues.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3383 on: January 18, 2021, 01:15:09 pm »
In 18/19 Matip was far from an automatic pick for his first 16 games of that season Matip started 3 times and was on the bench for the other 13. In the same timeframe Gomez started 14 games and was on the bench for four games.

If you look back you will notice that that is the reason I referred to the last 2/3rds of the 18/19 season!

What cannot be underestimated is the disruption that having an injury prone centre back causes a defence.

Every league winning team going back to Leicester in 2015/16 has had an injury prone centre half.

In City and Chelsea's cases, they were both the leaders of their defence and captains too.

Assuming City or us win the league that'll be six years in a row that teams with injury prone centre halves won the league.

It seems like the can be disruption can be overestimated.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:17:00 pm by Classycara »

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3384 on: January 18, 2021, 01:56:21 pm »
You can get away with one CB being out but THREE being out for most of the season no chance.

Matip is back in training now but its only a matter of time before he gets another knock.

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #3385 on: January 21, 2021, 08:59:05 pm »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3387 on: January 22, 2021, 10:14:25 am »
Is he fit for Sunday? Do we even want him to start Sunday? What a player he is.

Online Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #3388 on: January 22, 2021, 01:01:26 pm »
He makes such a difference in defence. Cool, calm and also can take the ball forward.

The loss of Van Dijk and Gomez has obviously been monumental for us, but the constant injuries suffered by Matip has been just as important in my opinion.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3389 on: January 22, 2021, 01:22:10 pm »
Bahaha Joel at it again https://twitter.com/NoContextJMatip/status/1352585071228825601?s=20

Just stay fit for the rest of the season you amazing crazy talented bar steward
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3390 on: January 22, 2021, 01:23:18 pm »
 ;D Hahahah first smile since last night, thank you!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3391 on: January 22, 2021, 08:22:18 pm »
Bahaha Joel at it again https://twitter.com/NoContextJMatip/status/1352585071228825601?s=20

Just stay fit for the rest of the season you amazing crazy talented bar steward

Has anyone explained what he was doing - other than taking the piss?

And he shows what we miss in defence as well.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3393 on: January 24, 2021, 11:23:42 pm »
I missed the reason, why wasn’t he in the team today?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3394 on: January 24, 2021, 11:28:58 pm »
I missed the reason, why wasn’t he in the team today?

No reason being rested for Thursday I suspect.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3395 on: January 24, 2021, 11:42:31 pm »
No reason being rested for Thursday I suspect.

1 game back and needed a rest. Okie dokes.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3396 on: January 24, 2021, 11:54:10 pm »

He was rushed back for Burnley. Klopp said he was planning on playing henderson there.

Hoping I guess if we're sensible with him we'll get 50% of matches for sure

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3397 on: January 24, 2021, 11:56:11 pm »

It's not really a rest, but it's clear that he can't play multiple games per week in a short period of time.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3398 on: January 24, 2021, 11:59:58 pm »
He was rushed back for Burnley. Klopp said he was planning on playing henderson there.

Hoping I guess if we're sensible with him we'll get 50% of matches for sure

I would absolutely deal on that outcome if possible. 50% of the remaining games would be great.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3399 on: January 25, 2021, 12:01:08 am »
Ok cool cool least he’s not injured again