Author Topic: Spurs 4 v Liverpool 1 (Kane 3' Son 12' Salah 24' Ali 45+2’ Kane 55')  (Read 118956 times)

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spurs 4 v Liverpool 1 (Kane 3' Son 12' Salah 24' Ali 45+2’ Kane 55')
« Reply #1840 on: October 25, 2017, 07:48:36 pm »
When was the last time we had a defence you could count on week in week out, was it this decade or last?

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #1841 on: October 26, 2017, 09:48:20 am »
Wonder if Spurs fans are having the same knee jerk ranting session after surrendering a two goal lead to West Ham. Sunday was a bad day at the office, I don't believe Lovren should be scapegoated because on balance he's been okay this season and the alternative Klavan just is not good enough for the Prem. Joe Gomez is not game/positionally aware enough to play centrally yet, IMO. As for the keeper, if there is a change there it has to be Danny Ward, Karius is not the keeper to take us forward or instill confidence in the back line. I don't see a change, I think Klopp with stick with Mignolet and similarly, as much as it pains me to say it, Lovren.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1842 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:45 am »
It isn't.

Watch it back. He's standing there daydreaming in a world of his own. He tries to jump up at the very last second when he realises he's playing Kane onside. It's really poor from Gomez. There is no reason for him to be deeper than his 2 CBs.

Like I said though, he is young and he'll learn from it.

Literally a split second step up, we shouldn't have conceded from one player by the touchline with a line of 3 defenders and goalkeeper to beat. To try and put the blame on Gomez is ridiculous.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1843 on: October 26, 2017, 10:10:13 am »
Literally a split second step up, we shouldn't have conceded from one player by the touchline with a line of 3 defenders and goalkeeper to beat. To try and put the blame on Gomez is ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous. Gomez had a shocker of a game. He was at partial fault for all goals with the exception of the third. And in the case of the first which yourself and JD are discussing, if he steps up as he should, the goal never happens. If Lovren drops as many have demanded, it might still. A full-back simply has to keep in line with his centre halves.

On the flipside he obviously gets more sympathy than the rest of them because he's less experienced and arguably playing out of his most natural position. He was also pretty solid in open play once moving to centre back, but then again the game was dead for the most part so it's hard to truly judge him. He deserves his chance there but I'm not expecting any fireworks, particularly alongside Matip.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1844 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:36 am »
It's not ridiculous. Gomez had a shocker of a game. He was at partial fault for all goals with the exception of the third. And in the case of the first which yourself and JD are discussing, if he steps up as he should, the goal never happens. If Lovren drops as many have demanded, it might still. A full-back simply has to keep in line with his centre halves.

If Lovren heads the fucking thing away or marks Kane tighter etc. it never happens. If Mignolet comes out and spreads himself to smother the ball properly rather than running at him at a 45 degree angle or whatever it potentially never happens. Nowhere above did I say Gomez was blameless, I said it's ridiculous to solely put the blame on him for the goal.

And he should be given some leeway given his age and the fact he's had less than dozen starts for us at this level.

47 pages in and we're still going off about what happened, time to draw a line under this post mortem now.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1845 on: October 26, 2017, 10:22:22 am »
If Lovren heads the fucking thing away or marks Kane tighter etc. it never happens. If Mignolet comes out and spreads himself to smother the ball properly rather than running at him at a 45 degree angle or whatever it potentially never happens. Nowhere above did I say Gomez was blameless, I said it's ridiculous to solely put the blame on him for the goal.

And he should be given some leeway given his age and the fact he's had less than dozen starts for us at this level.

47 pages in and we're still going off about what happened, time to draw a line under this post mortem now.

I don't see where anyone has put the blame solely on Gomez - as many have on Lovren or Mignolet, by the way - and you trimmed the leeway I gave Gomez in my post.

But yes, let's move on. On to Huddersfield.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1846 on: October 26, 2017, 10:25:08 am »
But yes, let's move on. On to Huddersfield.

You can have a new moan about Gomez in there. ;)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1847 on: October 26, 2017, 10:37:12 am »
Watched the first goal back again. Lovren is embarrassing but what is Gomez doing? Yeah Dejan should just mark Kane but Gomez is stood on the other side of the park marking nobody. Surely he can just look along the damn line and see Matip and Lovren are further up than he is? He actually does try to step up. That's the annoying thing. But he does it a second too late because he wasnt bloody paying attention and concentrating. He's young, so hopefully he learns from it. He needs to be more switched on.
Just watched that goal again, first time I've had the strength to watch any of the game back. To me it looks like both Matip and Gomez play Kane on-side. Matip actually steps up after the ball is played and stands there for a second or two with his hand up and claiming off-side even though he was playing Kane on.

Neither of Matip and Lovren, and to a lesser extent Gomez cover themselves with their recoveries after that.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:42:07 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1848 on: October 26, 2017, 10:58:27 am »
Just watched that goal again, first time I've had the strength to watch any of the game back. To me it looks like both Matip and Gomez play Kane on-side. Matip actually steps up after the ball is played and stands there for a second or two with his hand up and claiming off-side even though he was playing Kane on.

Neither of Matip and Lovren, and to a lesser extent Gomez cover themselves with their recoveries after that.

They showed it from an inline angle during the game and it was just Gomez that played him on.

Anyway, there's a game in two days and this has been done to death. Let's put it to bed and look forward instead of back.