Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 150067 times)

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pep Lijnders returns to Liverpool with immediate effect
« Reply #400 on: January 20, 2019, 05:41:13 pm »
Klopp has demonstrated numerous times that if a person wants to move on, he won't stand in their way. Be they player, (Lucas, Ings, Klavan, Clyne, etc.) or backroom staff (Pep, Gerrard, Buvac).

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:10 pm »
Ljinders officially assistant manager now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:25:54 pm by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2019, 12:51:03 am »
Ljinders officially assistant manager now.

As is Krawietz

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2019, 03:29:20 am »
As is Krawietz

Yes, I think Krawietz has been all along,, hasn't he?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: January 22, 2019, 03:35:19 am »

Think he was a technical analyst or something along those lines previously. The title seemed to undersell how highly Jurgen spoke of him to an extent.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: January 22, 2019, 08:45:43 am »
Buvac was down as Senior Assistant Coach so I have a feeling Krawietz was Assistant Coach.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #406 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:21 pm »
Assistant to the regional manager

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #407 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:41 pm »

he was '2nd assistant coach' I think. And Buvac '1st assistant coach'. Neither where named as assistant managers.

So looks like it's a promotion for Peter Krawietz, and of course a confirmation of what Pep's role now is too.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #408 on: January 22, 2019, 02:00:33 pm »
he was '2nd assistant coach' I think. And Buvac '1st assistant coach'. Neither where named as assistant managers.

So looks like it's a promotion for Peter Krawietz, and of course a confirmation of what Pep's role now is too.

So previously, Pep was Assistant to the Assistant Coach?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #409 on: January 22, 2019, 03:11:27 pm »
So previously, Pep was Assistant to the Assistant Coach?

Nah, his title was "the other dude on the bench"  ;)

Anyway, good to see Jürgen coming up with a long-term solution and good luck to the entire first team coaching staff.
Linudden.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #410 on: January 22, 2019, 06:42:32 pm »
Does he have a nickname? The Brain left, the Eye is here, what's Pep?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #411 on: January 22, 2019, 07:02:41 pm »

Peppy Longstocking...

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2019, 07:05:18 pm »
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2019, 07:38:44 pm »

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2019, 07:50:50 pm »
The Bollocks.

He hangs outside and keeps the attackers organized until they're called into action. :hump
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #415 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:42 pm »
The Bollocks.

He hangs outside and keeps the attackers organized until they're called into action. :hump

Never mind the Bollocks, here comes the Pep Pistols...

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2019, 11:06:46 pm »
The Bollocks.

;D

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #417 on: February 14, 2019, 06:37:03 pm »
ESPN article:

Liverpool No. 2 Pep Lijnders on Salah's role change, Fabinho and defensive solidity

LIVERPOOL, England -- Liverpool assistant manager Pepijn Lijnders believes Mohamed Salah's willingness and ability to change his role this season makes him one of the best footballers in the world.

Salah broke records and claimed the Premier League Golden Boot last season as he scored 44 goals for Liverpool, lining UP on the right of a forward three.

However, Liverpool's coaching staff decided to move Salah to a more central role in the summer, and he has enjoyed similar success having netted 20 times already this campaign. His positional switch was one of a number of tactical tweaks made by Liverpool during preseason as Jurgen Klopp sought more control from his side.

Lijnders, who returned to Liverpool in June after a fifth-month spell managing NEC Nijmegen, explained the thinking behind these decisions in an interview at Melwood.

ESPN: After such a successful season, why was the decision made to move Salah more centrally?

Lijnders: "First of all, he has the ability to create from the inside. That differentiates him from many others. To have him in the last line as high as we can -- with the speed he has, the goal threat he has -- makes it for us easier to create a freer role for Bobby [Roberto Firmino]. For Mo, it's really good to understand the game in that way -- to be the point. We still try to be flexible in the way we play. There will be moments where we play with three and moments with two. For him it's great. He's closer to the goal, he can use his speed more, he's more where we want him to be. That's a natural development for him. He's a real goalscorer. The only thing with that freedom and with that versatility, he should keep that first impulse of pressing."

ESPN: What does is say about Salah's character that he's willing to change after a record-breaking campaign?

Lijnders: "I think how this team is constructed anyway, it's glued by character, ambition and passion. It really fits well. That's what I try to say what influenced that evolution, you bring in not only world-class players, but you bring in players who are very hungry for training. That's what I like most about our project. If you look to our squad and what we are trying to achieve and what we are achieving, that hunger for becoming better and becoming quicker. Mo is a good example of that. He's always searching for the next step and the next level without putting more pressure. It's the difference between a good player and a top player. A top player can do it constantly. For me, the difference between a good player and a top player is that they can solve problems before it becomes problems or they can solve problems in many different ways."

ESPN: Since you've returned to Liverpool, the team are now more defensively solid...

Lijnders: "I always say that our identity will never change. We always feel that we need help on the pitch from everyone. We need to be a very difficult team to play against, be a team that the opposition should be chased from all directions, constantly preparing these pressing situations and creating these counter-pressing moments. What I'm trying to say is, that's not changing. What's natural for a team to develop is, if you look now to the teams we play, teams are set up to really just play counter-attack against us and really defend the centre zone. You really need a certain stability in possession and a certain control and position to have that stability [so] you don't get countered. It's purely based on how we are protecting ourselves in attack and how stable we are, how with the right tempo we are passing the ball, moving and create in certain zones players being close to each other who can combine. That stability in possession, that's what you see more. That's purely based on that we stop more counters. That's purely based that we can attack more and that it doesn't come from that deep. That's not our decision, it's the decision of the opposition.

ESPN: Can you remember the meeting where you told this plan to the players?

Lijnders: "It's preseason. Jurgen was very clear what the next step would be from the team. We spoke a lot before I took the job, when I really came in the building. One thing we were both really agreeing [on] what we could improve on was how our midfield play could improve basically. That we could create easier [a] free player, that we could find him in an easier way. From there, we would have better movements in there to attack their last line. But especially that midfield play. What's really important is that our identity is not changing. Counter-pressing, that's still our playmaker. It's more about how we move the ball towards these situations to create that players are basically more closer to each other with a certain flexibility."

ESPN: Summer signing Fabinho has helped with these tactical alterations. Just how much is he blossoming in a Liverpool shirt after a slow start?

Lijnders: "To adapt to the intensity of our play, that takes time. Not many can do it, and in certain positions it is easier than others. If you are a front player and you come in, and you are used to playing in an attacking way, then it is easier, depending on the specific attributes you have as a player. For him, to play in a midfield three as we did at the start of the season, we knew from the first second, we knew from the videos that it would take time. His impulse of defending forward is absolutely of the highest level. The question as a No. 6 is that you are moving more side to side than forwards. Then of course you have to adapt, and then we find a good solution to change to 4-4-2. And from that moment it helped so much, and then you saw the real Fabinho. Inside the 'organised chaos' that we want, that we like, he is like a lighthouse, he controls it and for me, you can still have the style of the gaffer and how we want to identify ourselves. But with a player like Fabinho in the middle, the ball always goes out round. That's how they say it in Portuguese. His timing, his vision, his calmness, it gives another dimension to our midfield player."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3774888/liverpool-no-2-pep-lijnders-on-salahs-role-change-fabinho-and-defensive-solidity
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: February 16, 2019, 01:23:03 pm »
Hadn't realised Ljinders got his Pro Licence last year, in the same class as Arteta (amongst others)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47258633

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #419 on: February 16, 2019, 10:05:59 pm »
Hadn't realised Ljinders got his Pro Licence last year, in the same class as Arteta (amongst others)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47258633

Jammy bastard

He was learning with the best ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Online Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: February 16, 2019, 11:34:24 pm »
One thing we were both really agreeing [on] what we could improve on was how our midfield play could improve basically. That we could create easier [a] free player, that we could find him in an easier way. From there, we would have better movements in there to attack their last line.

Tactics aren't my strong point so I'm interested in what he means here. Have we seen that this season? Does he mean Bobby dropping deeper or Shaqiri's role when he's played? I've felt like there's been a bit of a disconnect this season between midfield and attack (compared to last year) but that's to my untrained eye.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2019, 10:58:53 pm »
I'm guessing he means the Dutch 4x4 that pop talked about earlier. If we have three options ahead of the ball, one of them should be getting free. Seems to be working so far 😀
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: April 8, 2019, 11:33:25 pm »
Some great insights here:

The extraordinary role of Pep Lijnders revealed as Jurgen Klopp's trusted assistant explains what really happens inside Melwood

The first part of an exclusive interview with Liverpool's assistant manager

Pep Lijnders is in full flow.

Liverpool's articulate, passionate assistant manager is lifting the lid on life behind the walls at Melwood.

There's the meticulous planning of every training session, the hours of video analysis, the tactics meetings, the hard graft on the grass and the closely fought games of paddle tennis with Jurgen Klopp.

For the Dutchman with an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, this isn't a job, it's a vocation. His enthusiasm is infectious.

“For me this is important because football is my life,” he told the ECHO during an exclusive interview.

“I need this set-up, this relationship with the people around me. We know where we want to go.

“We focus constantly on our process giving the team everything to be prepared and to make the next steps. In football it’s not many times where everything falls into place, you must cherish those times.”

Lijnders is the trusted lieutenant helping to plot Liverpool's remarkable challenge for both Premier League and Champions League glory.

The 36-year-old has relished the extra responsibility he's taken on since returning to Melwood last summer.

It was telling how quickly Klopp moved to bring him back to Liverpool following a short spell in charge of NEC Nijmegen in the second half of last season. He has expertly filled the void created by Zeljko Buvac's exit.

Lijnders enjoys equal status with fellow assistant Peter Krawietz, the man nicknamed 'The Eye', whose association with Klopp dates back to their time together at Mainz.

“I feel good. It’s a role that suits me, especially next to Jurgen,” he said.

“He is the motivator, the stimulator behind every forward step we make but he gives responsibility to the ones he trusts.

“I’m responsible for training and giving direction towards a plan for the week that gets the most out of the team. Together with Jurgen and Pete, we decide where we want to go in our sessions and I will make sure it’s getting done. Everything we do is training is related to our ideas. Every exercise is specific to what we want to build.

“I prioritise what's more important to train and to let our ideas evolve - fundamental principles but in a less complex way. Then I create and contextualise specific exercises, where we want our players to learn, acquire and develop. I focus on what we can control, practise fundamentals of our game.

“I believe that you become what you believe so we stimulate high on and off the pitch standards. We work as hard as possible and see each training session as the game.

“I’m not trying to be a coaches’ genius or give too much information, but to repeat ‘our way’ in each single minute of training.

“Our goal is to prove in each game that we are the better team. You can’t feel fear in these stages of the season and the only way to erase this kind of fear is by training well and hard.”

Lijnders' rise has been meteoric. He initially joined the Reds' Kirkby Academy from Porto in 2014 when he took over as under-16s coach.

His impact was such that the following year he was promoted to the senior set-up by Brendan Rodgers and given the title of first-team development coach.

Lijnders' reputation ensured that Klopp retained his services and over the past three-and-a-half years a strong bond has developed between the two.

There is no doubt who's the boss but one of Klopp's great strengths is his willingness to seek and take on board the input of those in his inner circle.

“Jurgen is someone you can’t stop learning from because he surprises you so many times,” Lijnders said.

“He can create a feeling of belief and determination for a whole group of players in two sentences.

“Life is a team sport. It’s just a great group of people together. Peter is one of the world’s best analysts because he finds solutions to the problems that we are going to face, but he finds them before the problems arise, which is very smart.

“Better people make a better team. If you don’t think of your team as a family, why should the team see us as the leaders of the family?

“Jurgen listens to my plans. We always talk everything through - preparing each detail in each game moment. Jurgen knows so well what he wants but is someone who believes in cooperation.

“The team is playing now with a lot of freedom and this is important because many teams sit in. We had problems before with teams who drop off and control space but we found solutions.”

The “madness” of Lijnders' working day starts long before Klopp's stars arrive at Melwood and continues long after he's returned home to Formby.

He liaises closely with the Reds' head of fitness and conditioning Andreas Kornmayer. It's a constant cycle of reviewing, studying and planning.

“A day in football is designed around the session - the main moment to give our players an impulse,” Lijnders explained.

“I don’t live on a normal Monday or Tuesday, but on a matchday -1 or -3. It’s madness.

“Let’s start the day from the moment the session ends. I watch the session back when I come back in the office, make some notes, talk with the head physio about availability for the next day and if the players responded well to the session.

“Peter shows us opposition clips, while Jurgen, me and Peter discuss organisation both defensive and offensive. Jurgen and myself discuss the next day in terms of planning. Andreas will provide us with the data of the session, how many sprints, how much high-speed running.

“We believe that the tactical component takes the physical component by the hand so it’s important to check if we got the output we wanted.

“Normally, Andreas and I will discuss the next day's warm-up and whether some players need a top up or extra work before the session.

“The week plan is a very logical set up of experiences for the players. We want to create an identity so our model is everything. We want our players to not lose concentration so the choice of exercises is very important.”

The paddle tennis court that Klopp had installed at Melwood provides a release for the staff from the stresses and strains.

“If Jurgen and me have time, we play a game of one v one,” Lijnders said.

“We play at a similar level so it’s perfect to have that distraction away from football. He always finds a way to get back in the game!

“When I get home at night, I normally prepare the next day’s session in detail and watch opposition clips.

“When I arrive at the club in the morning (goalkeeping coach) John Achterberg is normally already here. Sometimes I think he just never leaves!

“Jurgen and I have a short meeting to talk the day through. Peter and I talk the session through to make sure all opposition specific features are in it. Then I go out and set everything up on the pitch.”

For Lijnders, the next challenge Liverpool face is extra special. He spent seven years coaching in Porto's Academy after being recruited from PSV Eindhoven in 2007.

Working across all age groups from the under-8s through to the under-19s in Portugal, he was instrumental in bringing through a new generation of exciting talent, including the likes of Diogo Dalot, Ruben Neves, Andre Gomes, Andre Silva and Joao Felix.

“Porto and FC Porto will be forever with me,” he smiled.

“They approached me from PSV to restructure their academy. Without speaking the same language, we understood each other. I signed a one-year deal but after six months we extended it by another three years. It was a beautiful time.

“I delivered three sessions a day and in between I had three hours of Portuguese lessons. The sessions were with only one goal - offensive aggression, create to score.

“It's a club with high values and humbleness. We were part of a very successful period - winning five championships, the Europa League and eight cups.

“Pinto da Costa (Porto president) built a winners’ institute. Some clubs are in the job because of the game, Porto is in the job to win silverware.

“We created a new generation of Porto players who could represent this culture, but with a high level of technique and attacking mentality on top of their guts and ambition.

“They could have played with a whole team of home grown players if they had wanted. The last generation of the project is knocking on the door with Fabio Vieira, Fabio Silva and Joao Mario.

“Porto made a real impact on me as a coach but even more as a person. I will forever speak about them with a great responsibility.”

Friends will be reunited at Anfield on Tuesday night before it's down to business in the Champions League quarter-final first leg.

Lijnders has no time for suggestions that the draw did Liverpool a favour by pairing them with the Portuguese champions. He expects Sergio Conceicao’s side to be fired up by the painful memories of last season's 5-0 defeat at the hands of the Reds in the last 16.

“I know how they think,” Lijnders added.

“They have a culture where they fight against everything and everyone. Their mentality is their biggest strength.

“They will love the chance to go again against us. Adversity makes them stronger, quicker and more precise.

“It’s still a very aggressive and compact team that easily switches between defensive and offensive. They know how to fight, to compete for the ball and to change games around.

“They can switch between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1. They have a great mix of different talent but as a whole they have a clear identity. They can create problems in many different ways. At Porto, they love the ones who hate to lose.

"There are not many clubs in Europe with more history, tradition, culture and stadium atmosphere than FC Porto, but Liverpool FC is definitely one of them.

"I’m part of this special club and to compete against my old team with Liverpool FC makes me very proud and humble."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/extraordinary-role-pep-lijnders-revealed-16098141

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: April 9, 2019, 03:15:11 am »
Love that.

The Dutch have forgotten more about coaching methodology than most federations will ever create.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: April 9, 2019, 04:11:12 am »
Well said, PoP, spot on.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #425 on: April 9, 2019, 04:43:08 am »
Some great insights here:

That's an excellent article.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #426 on: April 9, 2019, 05:08:46 am »
Great article. And only part one.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #427 on: April 9, 2019, 10:35:18 am »
That was a great look at how they go about their planning.

“Jurgen and I have a short meeting to talk the day through. Peter and I talk the session through to make sure all opposition specific features are in it. Then I go out and set everything up on the pitch.”

IIRC in American football, during practice in the week leading to a game, they have the 'scout team' (second string players) performing especially in the manner their next opponent is about to. I wonder if they do something similar in football or just have the players attacking in the patterns the coaching staff have just instructed them to.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #428 on: April 9, 2019, 03:25:31 pm »
Not gonna lie I'm a bit moist over that. Was gutted when he left but happy for, selfishly though I'm glad it didn't work out and we got him back quickly.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: April 9, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
This is my favourite line from that interview above, when talking about Jurgen

“He can create a feeling of belief and determination for a whole group of players in two sentences."

Thanks to The Final Third for posting that  :thumbup

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: April 9, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »
That was a great look at how they go about their planning.

IIRC in American football, during practice in the week leading to a game, they have the 'scout team' (second string players) performing especially in the manner their next opponent is about to. I wonder if they do something similar in football or just have the players attacking in the patterns the coaching staff have just instructed them to.

Some coaches do (Hodgson does, actually), other coaches don't.

Ljinders is Dutch, though, so his methods will mostly look like the old Boot Room 5-a-sides, in that the main themes will be worked on in small sided games that focus on the desired objectives through manipulation of the variables of the game (pitch size, playing numbers, number of goals, rules, etc)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: April 9, 2019, 03:55:12 pm »
Some coaches do (Hodgson does, actually), other coaches don't.

Ljinders is Dutch, though, so his methods will mostly look like the old Boot Room 5-a-sides, in that the main themes will be worked on in small sided games that focus on the desired objectives through manipulation of the variables of the game (pitch size, playing numbers, number of goals, rules, etc)

Do you think he's destined to be a no.2 for life or do you think he'll test the waters again in management. Strikes me as someone highly competent but maybe not a great motivator/facilitator.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: April 9, 2019, 04:03:04 pm »
Do you think he's destined to be a no.2 for life or do you think he'll test the waters again in management. Strikes me as someone highly competent but maybe not a great motivator/facilitator.

If he's smart, he'll stay as a coach/no.2. He's technically minded. Maybe when he's well into his 40s he might have the managerial knowledge to handle players (and a trophy winning background to give him an "in" with top players).

Here's another good article, but it does get technical (it's from an old coaching magazine)

http://soccercoachinginternational.com/pdf/Sample%20Youth%20Technique%20Article.pdf

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #433 on: April 9, 2019, 07:00:26 pm »
We are in good hands. That's a good feeling.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: April 9, 2019, 07:38:58 pm »
If he's smart, he'll stay as a coach/no.2. He's technically minded. Maybe when he's well into his 40s he might have the managerial knowledge to handle players (and a trophy winning background to give him an "in" with top players).

Here's another good article, but it does get technical (it's from an old coaching magazine)

http://soccercoachinginternational.com/pdf/Sample%20Youth%20Technique%20Article.pdf

Cheers PoP will read it after the game.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: April 20, 2019, 05:45:50 am »
Soz about the lateness of an already week old article but posted for completion's sake..

Pep Lijnders reveals the training ground secrets fueling Liverpool's Premier League title challenge

In the second part of an exclusive interview with the ECHO, Jurgen Klopp's trusted assistant Pep Lijnders explains what goes on at Melwood and how it enables Liverpool to compete with Man City

There's something special that binds this double-chasing Liverpool squad together.

Pep Lijnders senses it on a daily basis at Melwood. There's a unity, a camaraderie and a steely work ethic which is driving the Reds on in pursuit of Premier League and Champions League glory.

“There are no egos here,” the club's assistant manager told the ECHO.

“It's team spirit, it’s putting the team above themselves. This group of players put their heart into the daily work. They don’t like it, they love the hard work.

“I couldn’t expect more from them. I hope they can keep this level of attitude up until the final day of the season.”

A thrilling title race with Manchester City, who sit two points behind with a game in hand, looks destined to go down to the wire.

“For me, we have to compete against ourselves,” Lijnders said.

“We only fail if we lose commitment, if we lose training attitude, if we lose effort.

“It’s the only way - have our heads up and give everything, everything we have. That is what got us into this position.

“Maybe Man City have more skill or are quicker, but they should never be superior in terms of team spirit, attitude or braveness.”

Liverpool go into Sunday's crunch clash with Chelsea at Anfield on the back of six straight wins.

The pressure keeps growing but the Reds have refused to crack.

Klopp and his coaches have worked tirelessly to help ensure they continue to play without fear. It's about having the belief and the composure to stick to your principles, no matter how high the stakes.

“It comes back to the same thing - our process,” Lijnders continued.

“Focus on training, focus on playing well. Search for satisfaction in the daily effort. Everyone will try to tell us how success looks for us, but we define it.

“Give your all in each session. We want to attack each opponent and make sure we stay close to what defines us - pressing and counter pressing high with the highest intensity.

“We fight to have the ball. We play how we know to play and we are loyal to our style and to Liverpool FC.

“Each opponent will ask for a specific approach. Each game has its own story.

“You have to use each minute in training. Focus on the things you can control. What we build takes months even years but can be undone in one bad training session.”

That style has evolved over the course of Klopp's reign. This season the manager has placed a greater emphasis on solidity and control in games.

With an increasing number of opponents opting to play on the counter-attack against them, Klopp felt that Liverpool simply had to adapt.

He was wary of his side taking too many risks and leaving themselves exposed. The distance between the three midfielders was shortened.

It has enabled them to press better as a unit, forcing mistakes in dangerous areas and creating space for their dazzling front three to utilise.

The improvement defensively has been vast. Having conceded 38 league goals last term, this time around they have shipped just 20 with five games to go.

“If you want to go fast focus on attacking, if you want to go far focus on defending,” Lijnders said.

“Balance is everything. It's about how we've developed but don’t forget it’s always about the opponent as well.

“Teams mainly set up to counter-attack against us. You play always two games. The first one you see on the scoreboard. The second one is ‘our way’ and ‘our style’.

“The first one you can lose sometimes but the second one, never. And this is where our focus lies. It comes back to the same thing – our process.

“Pressing and counter pressing high with the highest intensity and in a co-ordinated way. Here lies the need to train, to evaluate and to have video meetings.

“Our game needs 100% freshness. Each opponent will ask for a specific approach but our DNA stays. We fight to have the ball, we want the ball, we want to play well.

“We train as if the game has started. We want to prove we are the better team, not on the game day, but in the training sessions, leave everything behind on the pitch, because our players can always do more than they think.”

The contribution of full-backs Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson has been crucial. They have provided the quality from wide areas with 19 assists between them in all competitions so far this season.

Both Lijnders and Alexander-Arnold have come a long way since the England international was made Liverpool Under-16s captain by the Dutch coach back in 2014.

Lijnders said: “Trent is a natural technical talent. His strength is his mentality in wanting to win and to improve.

“I’m very proud of him for his attitude and passion. There are more players like Trent coming (from the Academy), but only if they have the same determination. And that’s not easy. Talent is one thing, but determination is everything.

“Our full-backs know how to speed up in the right situations. Crossing is a by-product of constant movement on the wings.

“We have this spirit where we want to have the ball, we search for wing attacks and take the initiative to overlap or underlap. Here lie their strengths and that’s why they play for us.”

Between the full-backs is the colossal figure of Virgil van Dijk. The commanding Dutch defender has been a model of consistency and has arguably established himself as the best centre-back in Europe.

“We can play a higher line with Virgil,” Lijnders said.

“We can play more aggressive with him because how he deals with space and longer balls into our backline.

“But don’t forget that Virgil is as good because of the player next to him, whether that's Joel (Matip), Joe (Gomez) or Dejan (Lovren). For me you can only evaluate a centre-half as a pair. They lead, they organise protection and the base for good pressing is the positioning of the last line - they are responsible for this.”

A lack of creativity and goals from midfield had been a talking point prior to Jordan Henderson and Naby Keita making key contributions against Southampton and Porto, but Lijnders was never concerned.

“It’s not important where the goals come from,” he added.

“We play with a false nine so it means that the goals should come from all other players. They all should feel like the striker in specific moments.

“You can’t have the numbers of the full-backs, the numbers of the midfielders, this number of clean sheets and score a much higher amount of goals.

“We've scored around the same amount of goals last year. You can have it all in life, just not at the same time!”

Liverpool have scored more goals in the last 15 minutes of Premier League games this season than any other team.

Lijnders insists that's no coincidence with both fitness and mentality coming to the fore.

“If you want to have it all, you must give it your all,” he said.

“For 95 minutes, play our way, team play, no ego and then the scoreboard takes care of itself.

“We must make fate our friend and that’s only possible if you are very intense, if we help each other and if we don’t lose concentration. Then it’s about how much we want it.

“Now is when it all happens. Believe because the ones who score late are the ones who think they can.

“It’s always about forgetting all the reasons why it would not work and believe in the one reason why it will. You have to leave it all behind on the pitch.

"My hopes? I hope that at the end of the season our fans are proud of us."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pep-lijnders-reveals-training-ground-16118804

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: July 4, 2019, 08:45:35 am »
A quick shout out to John Achterberg our head goalkeeping coach, he's been with us 11 years today (appeared on my linkedin) sent him a congrats message which he replied to swiftly....doing a great job, bit of congrats and recognition would be fab lads and lasses.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #437 on: July 4, 2019, 08:49:26 am »
New details emerge on why Zeljko Buvac left his role as Jurgen Klopp’s assistant

Jack Lusby
3 July 2019

Zeljko Buvac quit as Liverpool’s assistant manager towards the start of 2018, and now further details have emerged on why Jurgen Klopp‘s long-term No. 2 left.

Buvac and Klopp had worked together for 17 years, at Mainz, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool, before the Bosnian-Serb’s abrupt departure in April of last year.

Initially it was claimed he had taken leave due to “personal reasons,” but his split from the club was eventually finalised in January, after reaching a settlement on his contract.

By then, Pepijn Lijnders had already returned to Liverpool after a brief spell as manager of NEC Nijmegen in his native Netherlands, but the Dutchman was then confirmed in the position of assistant.

Lijnders has taken a more prominent role both in training and during games now, though this had already begun prior to his move to the Netherlands.

BIRKENHEAD, ENGLAND - Wednesday, July 12, 2017: Liverpool's manager J¸rgen Klopp with assistant manager Zeljko Buvac and first team coach Peter Krawietz before a preseason friendly match against Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

And in the updated version of his biography, Klopp: Bring the Noise, German journalist Raphael Honigstein has given a new insight into the fractured relationship between Buvac and the Liverpool manager.

“The Liverpool [staff] had noticed that the notoriously wordless [Buvac] had switched from monosyllables to zero-syllables in recent months,” he wrote, as relayed by SPOX.

“Buvac looked as if he would not have been happy with the increasing influence of fourth assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders.

“The laid-back Dutchman had been very popular with the players.

“The relationship between Buvac and Klopp has survived, both just could not work together anymore.”

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Monday, April 23, 2018: Liverpool's assistant manager Zeljko Buvac during a training session at Melwood Training Ground ahead of the UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 1st Leg match between Liverpool FC and AS Roma. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

SPOX infer this as Buvac being “jealous” of Lijnders’ standing among Klopp’s backroom, which did in effect marginalise his own influence after close to two decades in the role.

This follows earlier reports from the Times‘ Paul Joyce of a disagreement with goalkeeping coach John Achterberg, which certainly suggests there was a schism between Buvac and the rest of the staff.

There were fears in some sections of Liverpool’s support that the 57-year-old’s departure would expose Klopp’s limitations.

Buvac had become known as ‘The Brain’, and his absence was held up as a possible reason for tactical issues at Anfield in the future, but this has now been disproved, as the Reds improved even further without him in 2018/19.

MADRID, SPAIN - SATURDAY, JUNE 1, 2019: Liverpool's manager Jürgen Klopp and his back room staff celebrate as they lift the European Cup following a 2-0 victory in the UEFA Champions League Final match between Tottenham Hotspur FC and Liverpool FC at the Estadio Metropolitano. (Pic by Paul Greenwood/Propaganda) Pepijn Lijnders

By all accounts, Lijnders has made a hugely positive impact since his return, with Klopp saying in May that “he could write a book about him, about what a big influence he had.”

“How big the influence of his optimism is and how lively he is on the training pitch. It is just a fact,” he continued.

“I was like that when I was young and I am not like that any more, that’s how it is.”

Fortunately, Klopp and Buvac’s friendship appears to have endured, but it seems to have been a case of ‘out with the old, in with the new’ at Liverpool.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/07/new-details-emerge-on-why-zeljko-buvac-left-his-role-as-jurgen-klopps-assistant/amp/

Don’t know how true this is
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #438 on: July 4, 2019, 09:08:13 am »
I read that last night, though we dont seem to be effected by Buvac's departure so im not too bothered by it.

Lijnders blew a kiss at me at the Wolves game, was delighted haha
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: July 4, 2019, 09:54:48 am »
At least the Klopp-Buvac friendship endured and we've not been affected by him leaving. Good to have some closure, good luck to Buvac in the future!