Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1880322 times)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #6160 on: April 16, 2019, 11:17:27 am »
Of course,  the point is that for the preceding number of minutes the whole thing was mad and hell for leather and he put his foot on the ball and stopped it.  It shows how he is maturing into his role and will be a key leader I believe as his confidence grows

I agree. He looks like he feels much more at home and confident. That's a great sign. But it should be something normal to do, not exceptional.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6161 on: April 16, 2019, 11:47:04 am »
I agree. He looks like he feels much more at home and confident. That's a great sign. But it should be something normal to do, not exceptional.

Absolutely.  But I think the point is the lad was clearly lacking in confidence while certainly not in ability, but it was without doubt holding back his ability.

These past couple of games, his confidence seems to have shot up which is bringing out his ability on the pitch.

Actions like calming the team down against a Chelsea onslaught are simply signs he's settling in now.

And thats bloody great news for us!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6162 on: April 16, 2019, 12:24:10 pm »
Nothing to suggest HBHR is implying he knows better than the manager, either.

Just an opinion - expressed rather wistfully and with hindsight. Nowt wrong with that, subjective or otherwise.

the timing of it is perfect though, considering Kloppo's recent and spot-on 'bullshit' message to those wallowing in hindsight  ;D

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6163 on: April 16, 2019, 01:53:36 pm »

But it is exceptional in our team as so few of our players seem to recognise the time to do it. Last season it was almost a non existent quality in our side.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6164 on: April 16, 2019, 01:59:52 pm »

Agree with your points. But it was also handy in the sense that it was on Robertson's side. He'd really started to go hell for leather, and was caught out by their box while they had the ball, leaving us open to a counter with a back three a few times.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6165 on: April 16, 2019, 02:10:54 pm »
Absolutely. But no other fucker in the whole side did it. He did. It was exactly, exactly what was needed and he stepped up. You can't ask for more.

Which is slightly worrying. We need a couple of cool heads just to slow things down a little bit or we'll end up with our very own Charge of the Light Brigade and surrendering a winning position.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #6166 on: April 16, 2019, 03:54:28 pm »
But it is exceptional in our team as so few of our players seem to recognise the time to do it. Last season it was almost a non existent quality in our side.

That's mostly down to how the team is coached though. What happens in training happens in the game
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #6167 on: April 16, 2019, 05:24:21 pm »

I've seen Lallana and Gini manage games sometimes. But you are right. We are not particularly good at it. Maybe that is why everyone is marvelling at it so much? :)
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6168 on: April 16, 2019, 05:27:47 pm »
Which is slightly worrying. We need a couple of cool heads just to slow things down a little bit or we'll end up with our very own Charge of the Light Brigade and surrendering a winning position.

Milner's got it in him, indeed he was brought on against fulham to calm things down a bit just before he sliced it up in the air and we conceded!

If the title does come back into our hands we'll need a lot of that. Every second of every game will feel pretty wild. That pre-chelsea 2014 norwich game was an absolute fucking basket case. We've got much better players and a few calmer heads now but if it does swing back our way keeping cool is going to be so important.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:29:33 pm by Sharado »
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6169 on: April 16, 2019, 05:41:31 pm »
I would argue we have been very good at it overall this season. I can't argue with you about last season however!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6170 on: April 16, 2019, 05:50:51 pm »
I would argue we have been very good at it overall this season. I can't argue with you about last season however!

We have been better. I'd actually say the one game we arguably weren't was city away. When we got level we sensed we could get the winner [we were definitely on top at that point] and probably went for it that little bit too much. The game went on the spin of a roulette wheel then and they were the ones that got the lucky bounce. We'd have been better keeping it boring for 10 minutes after we scored rather than letting it get that bit wilder. It could have gone either way.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #6171 on: April 16, 2019, 05:51:10 pm »
we ve been good but not the best at Game Management this year. Some room for improvement..
Suggested freelance gig for Jose?

Also, we dont win enough pens. Since Harry Kane is out of action for a while he can be second freelancer.

~Winning titles in a gig economy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:53:37 pm by macmanamanaman »
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6172 on: April 16, 2019, 06:43:32 pm »
We have been better. I'd actually say the one game we arguably weren't was city away. When we got level we sensed we could get the winner [we were definitely on top at that point] and probably went for it that little bit too much. The game went on the spin of a roulette wheel then and they were the ones that got the lucky bounce. We'd have been better keeping it boring for 10 minutes after we scored rather than letting it get that bit wilder. It could have gone either way.
I do agree with you on this and your whole post. I just think we have managed similar situations very well more often than not (particularly in comparison to last year). I would also add our increased control has also been relevant in terms of getting back into games where we have gone behind or needed to score too. Its nowhere near perfect but I like where its going!

Anyway, back to the Keita thread it was good to see him recognizing we needed to control the game at that point. Another sign he is settling well.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #6173 on: April 16, 2019, 11:36:10 pm »
Compared to other players who joined PL this year on a high budget and play in similar position - Jorginho and Fred, Keita might have taken longer to settle but now that he is settled, it is obvious he is more suited to the PL than the other 2.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6174 on: April 17, 2019, 02:25:16 am »
I really like Keita and am really looking forward to seeing how much better he will get over the next few seasons. But I find it funny how much credit he is getting for this one moment of game management. Isn't it to be expected of our midfielders?
It took 10 mins for anyone to do it, so it’s safe to say nobody knew what to expect. It was a welcome sight after seeing Chelsea almost score twice only to see us keep pushing forward in a wild phase. Being that he was one of the youngest players out there, I feel it makes sense to recognize him for it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:27:29 am by Beninger »

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6175 on: April 17, 2019, 03:01:33 am »

Don't think it's particularly worrying since i believe we have plenty of players that try to calm things down - Van Dijk, Alisson (albeit giving us plenty of heart stopping moments), Milner maybe. Now we've seen Keita do it as well. It's not hard to see why it's easy to get carried away in that atmosphere with those two quick fire goals. I'm sure Klopp and the management will bring this up in the post game analysis and ask for calmness even when we're flying high.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6176 on: April 17, 2019, 06:33:32 am »
Keita putting his foot on the ball and slowing the game down reminded me of Sinema Pongolle running the ball into the corner when others were still attacking after Gerrard's goal (OHH, YOU BEAUTY!! WHAT A HIT SON!). It made the collective team go, oh yeah, we're winning. Why are we going all out for another goal?

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #6177 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:19 pm »
I think the impressive thing here is that Keitas game management against Leicester in some ways contributed to their goal in the 1-1 at Anfield. We had about a minute to go in the first half, Keita had the ball, but somehow felt pressured to play the ball forward. This went to a Leicester player who drove down the wing. I think it was Gini had Pereira under control but Robertson got very passionate and tried to help out his team mate and conceded a free kick as the player was taken out. The free kick was taken and somehow Maguire sticks it in the back of the net for 1-1. Now not exactly Keitas fault, but a bit more game management when we have the ball could have saved us from this goal. Then again if the ref gives us the foul on Mane clean through on goal when Evans slips and Mane is fouled by Maguire or we get the pen Keita deserved as he drove through the box we may have won the game. Anyway Keita is a star in the making and he is at the right club for that to happen.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6178 on: April 18, 2019, 11:04:08 pm »
He will be starting Sunday to help break down the 11 behind the ball.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6179 on: April 19, 2019, 05:38:23 am »
Hopefully he will continue his progression and growth with the Cardiff game and really show what he is capable of doing to win matches.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6180 on: April 21, 2019, 07:58:29 pm »
Our best midfielder on the ball today - has played well for a decent stretch now

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #6181 on: April 21, 2019, 08:29:29 pm »
Our best midfielder on the ball today - has played well for a decent stretch now
Mane should ridiculously have passed to him rather than taking on a very unlikely and unecessary long shot. TAA should have done the same when Keita offered him an overlap. I think he'll be even better once the players around him empower him more, it still doesn't feel like they quite trust to him in match situations yet - but that does take time and it's only latterly he's been getting a run.

Also his tackle for the Henderson chance was excellent. In a team built on pressing he's one of the very best in the business at winning the ball high upfield. Him and Bobby together is an absolute nightmare for any team that dwells on the ball.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline jameslfc1997

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6182 on: April 21, 2019, 08:56:36 pm »
Love his ball rolls while still running at a pace. Getting better every game and is still nowhere near his potential of a true match winner.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6183 on: April 21, 2019, 11:27:38 pm »
He didn't get bullied once today, and he dominated them a few times. Was glorious.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6184 on: April 21, 2019, 11:57:00 pm »
he was great today - always asking for the ball.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6185 on: April 22, 2019, 12:48:50 am »
Good to see him getting more in tune with the speed of the game. He’s also realising he can bounce off most challenges, this is a brilliant skill to have because you beat the man as you evade the challenge - Mané is a master at this as is Firmino (and Coutinho) - Keita can do it too. His dribbles through midfield are an important weapon in our arsenal, and I like how he gets beyond the attacker offering the option in attack too. He’ll get goals next season, I’m surprised he hasn’t got more already, but 2 in this recent stint of games is actually a good return given he’s not in the team week in week out.

Still needs to cut out the lapses when he gets caught on the ball, but they’re becoming few and far between the more he’s playing. Hope this good run continues. He’ll be a key player in the league with Klopp rotating for the big CL games coming up.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6186 on: April 22, 2019, 05:12:30 am »
Love his ball rolls while still running at a pace.

Hah yeah I was thinking that watching it. The lad's got lovely technique with the ball at his feet. Still a ways to go for him in terms of bossing games/making a huge impact but it's encouraging seeing him grow in the last few weeks.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #6187 on: April 22, 2019, 05:14:14 am »
Love his ball rolls while still running at a pace. Getting better every game and is still nowhere near his potential of a true match winner.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6188 on: April 22, 2019, 10:00:30 am »
He's a much, much silkier player than I expected. Well, unless he's leaving sneaky shin pokes late, which he does. It seems that the rest of the team are yet to catch up on making quality runs when he is on the ball. Mane excluded, he seems to be synced well with Naby - but is also a greedy striker who will unapologetically waste a glorious one-two for a scruffy shot from 25m. Anyhow, I'm very glad that we got so see Naby playing more in the run-in. It looked for a moment like his time will come next season, but he did well to claim a place for himself.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6189 on: April 22, 2019, 10:21:40 am »
I think the biggest credit I can play to Keita now is that I'm not worried about what he's going to do/if he's going to try something a bit over the top. He seems to be picking good options, offering good contributions and slowly building up his importance to the side. Be interesting to see who gets the nod in midfield at the nou camp.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6190 on: April 22, 2019, 10:33:54 am »
Looking good now. We needed a few games where he was able to be quietly effective. He wasnt that quiet anyway.

Next season our midfield will be even better than now.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #6191 on: April 22, 2019, 10:34:59 am »
The best he's played defensively in terms of his press, his ability to win the ball back, and then get things moving.

Tried the straight pass a few too many times when it wasn't quite on, and I get the sense that he's trying too hard at times. But, he's certainly developing into the player we thought we were getting.

We needed him for this run in, and he'll be an essential element over these last 6 games. Next season will be when we see him truly shine I reckon.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6192 on: April 22, 2019, 11:25:04 am »
The fact that he gave as good as he got against Cardiff was the most pleasing aspect of his performance yesterday. His talent is unquestionable, but how he adapts to the power and pace of the premier league was my biggest worry. Bodes well for the future.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6193 on: April 22, 2019, 11:30:38 am »
I hope he starts in the Camp Nou next week.

He's been showing his class the last 5-6 weeks, and he's also the best presser in the team.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #6194 on: April 26, 2019, 08:56:46 pm »
That goal was a picture of the qualities we wanted when buying Knobby, if you watch the replay, he's moving to close down before the keeper has even played the pass.

Brutally quick in closing down and in transition to attack. Tidy finish as well...

More of that against Barca and next year as he settles in...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6195 on: April 26, 2019, 09:43:01 pm »
Some of us told you to be patient but you didn't listen ;)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6196 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:46 pm »
Some of us told you to be patient but you didn't listen ;)
Those who said he was like Kante who could attack..

That’s exactly what we had tonight.

His ball winning  was incredible, and chipped in with some useful passes and a goal.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6197 on: April 26, 2019, 09:57:21 pm »
Now imagine him next year without adjustments and interruptions

Online T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6198 on: April 26, 2019, 09:58:17 pm »
Wow!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6199 on: April 26, 2019, 09:58:23 pm »
It feels like we'll have a pure flat track bully midfield next year, one that will dominate the hell out of lower 2/3 of the league, and Naby will be at the core of it. Sensational performance tonight, even without the goal. His tackling was sharp all game long.