Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1886869 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #6120 on: April 9, 2019, 10:45:20 pm »
Nice to see him making that great run in the end. Should ease any lingering concerns from before Christmas about his ability to see out 90 minutes (granted it wasn't the highest intensity second half, but that's with another game this week on the clock.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6121 on: April 9, 2019, 10:48:50 pm »
Long way to go, but he's getting there finally.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6122 on: April 9, 2019, 10:49:43 pm »
Great seeing him running with the ball. That ball progressing role suits him, and scoring on top of that as well. Hope he gets a run in centre midfield
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6123 on: April 9, 2019, 10:58:55 pm »
Just the 8 tackles and 10 ball recoveries tonight then... (hint stop calling him an attacking midfielder)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6124 on: April 9, 2019, 11:06:56 pm »
That run at the end was classic Keita from what i saw on those Keita videos last season.

Hopefully and i've said this again and again this season after he has a couple of good games in a row but lets hope it continues as it's been a stop start season for him.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6125 on: April 9, 2019, 11:15:06 pm »
That run at the end was classic Keita from what i saw on those Keita videos last season.

Hopefully and i've said this again and again this season after he has a couple of good games in a row but lets hope it continues as it's been a stop start season for him.

I think it will, though it will continue to be stop start (in a rotation sense at least) from Sunday again, because I think he'll start from the bench. Just carry on performing and he'll be an immense weapon to throw on against a tiring Chelsea side second half

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6126 on: April 9, 2019, 11:39:42 pm »
Just the 8 tackles and 10 ball recoveries tonight then... (hint stop calling him an attacking midfielder)

Will do when he stops scoring and creating...

Having a CM who can literally do all the things is very exciting.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6127 on: April 9, 2019, 11:46:06 pm »
Great performance from our Naby tonight
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6128 on: April 10, 2019, 12:01:05 am »
He's looking a lot better, isn't he?

Reflecting on his performances and sometimes absences from the team, I think the change Klopp was looking for before playing him a bit more was for him to learn when to go and when to stay - to be more in tune with how the team plays.

My main observation about him is he can pull off some very neat moves, but often doesn't appear to be on the same wavelength as his teammates, in a way that say, the front 3 and fullbacks are.

The last couple of games we're seeing that come together a little better. He appears to be more in sync with his teammates, and isn't leaving as many gaps when he goes on glide forward. That bodes very well for next season, by which time hopefully he'll have properly clicked.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6129 on: April 10, 2019, 12:07:05 am »
Feels like that goal on the weekend did him the world of good. He's still not the best at retaining the ball but in terms of recovering and doing something with it he's looking a lot better.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #6130 on: April 10, 2019, 12:28:09 am »
Think Klopp was bringing him off at the end to get some acknowledgement of him from the crowd.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6131 on: April 10, 2019, 06:31:09 am »
That ability to give the ball the extra nick in the last moment during an opponent's challenge and using it to drive forward is something special!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6132 on: April 10, 2019, 07:06:02 am »
Another stat buster it seems in terms of tackling, pressure and ball recovery with us having the bulk of possession

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/1115734433217351685?s=20
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6133 on: April 10, 2019, 07:49:19 am »
Another stat buster it seems in terms of tackling, pressure and ball recovery with us having the bulk of possession

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/1115734433217351685?s=20

I was just going to post that. 8 tackles is mental. But also, 4 for Bobby, as a forward? Wow. Then add that to 3 dribbles, 2 shots, a goal and 2 key passes, and you really have a player that sort of resembles what we saw at Leipzig.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #6134 on: April 10, 2019, 09:42:32 am »
He is a perfect replacement for coutinho . It was so good to see those through balls and those dribbles in tight spaces.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6135 on: April 10, 2019, 11:39:00 am »
Visibly growing in confidence as games go on, which is nice. Thought he was arguably man of the match alongside Bobby, Virg, Hendo and Mo last night.

Still, there are a couple of small things that need to improve - he's got a careless pass in him - not the delicious through balls, but when we're building and working on the flanks - there have been more than a few occasions this season when he's under hit passes during the buildup which have led directly to counters. I think he still needs to develop a bit physically, he can be shrugged aside a little too easily for my liking.

Really though, minor complaints. Thought that was probably his best game for us last night and was big threat throughout. Really love his eye for, and execution of, through balls - do wonder if he's a little biased towards feeding his mate Sadio though!? One last night that if he'd waited a split second there was acres to his right for a ball into Salah. Again, really minor point though.

Driving runs, strong in the tackle, comfortable on the ball, eye for a pass, creative, hardworking. The player we all saw in those YouTube compilations.

Love his smile as well. Looking forward to seeing him happy a few more times this season hopefully.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6136 on: April 14, 2019, 08:49:19 pm »
Did Klopp chase him up the stairs to get a hand shake? 😁

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6137 on: April 14, 2019, 08:53:35 pm »
Did Klopp chase him up the stairs to get a hand shake? 😁

he sure did - or least give him a Klopp hug.

Keita had a good game - got caught again a few times - but was dangerous and combative. Wijanldum with fresh legs was the right move to exert control.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #6138 on: April 14, 2019, 09:07:07 pm »
It was, but Keita was honestly class in spells. He's not *quite* there yet but, fuck me, I wish he'd played away to City. He offers something that none of our other players, let alone midfielders, quite have. Honestly his balance is unreal and he releases the ball so early, and his change of pace. I think he's fucking brilliant and, well, let's hope it's a case of better late than never. He certainly seems to be settling now, which bodes really well for next season.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Captain Kos

• Main Stander
« Reply #6139 on: April 14, 2019, 09:15:09 pm »
I hear Klopp wants rid for Ł30m. :lickin
I dream of a team of Daniel Aggers!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6140 on: April 14, 2019, 09:20:51 pm »
It was, but Keita was honestly class in spells. He's not *quite* there yet but, fuck me, I wish he'd played away to City. He offers something that none of our other players, let alone midfielders, quite have. Honestly his balance is unreal and he releases the ball so early, and his change of pace. I think he's fucking brilliant and, well, let's hope it's a case of better late than never. He certainly seems to be settling now, which bodes really well for next season.

Bang on! It's his balance and poise over the ball. Like watching Litmanen again. In total command of the ball when he's moving and therefore able to execute passes a fraction before the defender has even considered the possibility. Its a gift. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6141 on: April 14, 2019, 09:36:10 pm »
Thought he was class again today

Exactly why I had no concerns, was clearly struggling with confidence, injuries, being in and out of the side and playing in various positions. Delighted he's grabbed a couple of goals and really started feeling more confident, you can see it in his play and there's plenty more to come

I like seeing him and Fabinho in the same side, they make a good midfield partnership

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #6142 on: April 14, 2019, 10:20:38 pm »
Looked like the player we bought
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Reply #6143 on: April 14, 2019, 10:35:41 pm »
Looked like the player we bought

Yep, starting to put it together now. Feels a bit like a new signing in January. Once he’s fully in the groove, he’ll storm this league.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6144 on: April 14, 2019, 11:12:09 pm »
Thought he was really good again. And I loved it when we lost control of the game at 2-0 and he got the ball in space and instead of charging upfield he completely paused and pushed his arms to floor telling everyone to calm. It was much needed and made a difference.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #6145 on: April 14, 2019, 11:15:20 pm »
Thought he was really good again. And I loved it when we lost control of the game at 2-0 and he got the ball in space and instead of charging upfield he completely paused and pushed his arms to floor telling everyone to calm. It was much needed and made a difference.
I loved that as well. That's the kind of calm heads that we need in the run in.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6146 on: April 14, 2019, 11:22:11 pm »
Forgot to mention that, was great to see

While watching the game I was convinced that was the reason Klopp was so intent on speaking to him after he came off, think he wanted to say well done

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6147 on: April 15, 2019, 02:33:55 am »
Loving seeing Naby grow in confidence, and gain the trust of his manager and team mates more each week.  To get starts in these 3 big games in quick succession speaks volums.

He's such a wonderful talent, this should just be the start of it.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6148 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:50 am »
Loved that slide tackle he did on Kante just after the 1st goal.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #6149 on: April 15, 2019, 06:49:22 am »
Bang on! It's his balance and poise over the ball. Like watching Litmanen again. In total command of the ball when he's moving and therefore able to execute passes a fraction before the defender has even considered the possibility. Its a gift. 
I thought that one to Mane was a perfect example. Mane didn't reach it - was it underhit or was it because Keita had threaded through the gap while most other players are still sorting their feet out? I think it's only Firmino who has that speed of foot and mind in our side and he's not as consistent with it as Keita, likely because Keita is just that bit better balanced (his slight frame helps him there, I should think).
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #6150 on: April 15, 2019, 08:49:06 pm »
Yes, that little bit after those 2 chelsea chances where he got the ball and just stopped and took a second to say calm down, almost showing everyone that there's nothing to panic. It was captain like and shows how much he has grown in confidence. Played it back calmly and we slowed things down immediately. It might have been Klopp yelling at someone to do that, but him taking charge shows that he finally believes that he's got this. Think he'll be rested for Porto away, but I think he'll be on the pitch for every other big game in the rest of the season. Think he'll destroy the league next season.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #6151 on: April 15, 2019, 08:51:08 pm »
Absolutely no doubt in my mind he'd be fine. Quality is written all over him.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #6152 on: April 15, 2019, 08:52:56 pm »
Loving seeing Naby grow in confidence, and gain the trust of his manager and team mates more each week.  To get starts in these 3 big games in quick succession speaks volums.

He's such a wonderful talent, this should just be the start of it.
Agree. He’s just taking time to adjust - more than most perhaps but every player is different. You can still see flashes of brilliance to know that there is a bloody good player there.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6153 on: April 15, 2019, 09:49:38 pm »
He's coming to form in just the right time. Not only will he help us finish an already incredible season even stronger, but next year will be his. Which is frightening.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #6154 on: April 15, 2019, 10:36:30 pm »
I wish he'd played away to City.

Nothing to suggest that would have altered the outcome (very narrow away defeat against top class opposition), except your and some other people´s subjective opinion.

Nothing to suggest otherwise either, except the subjective opinion of other people including the guy responsible for guiding us to (as things stand and on current form) 95-97 points this season with a squad that´s arguably not unprecedently individually talented in LFC's Premier League history.  If that´s not indicative of tactical genius and being able to spot what´s required for each and every game I don´t know what is.

Keita´s doing well at the moment, which is great.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #6155 on: April 15, 2019, 11:40:29 pm »
Nothing to suggest that would have altered the outcome (very narrow away defeat against top class opposition), except your and some other people´s subjective opinion.

Nothing to suggest otherwise either, except the subjective opinion of other people including the guy responsible for guiding us to (as things stand and on current form) 95-97 points this season with a squad that´s arguably not unprecedently individually talented in LFC's Premier League history.  If that´s not indicative of tactical genius and being able to spot what´s required for each and every game I don´t know what is.

Keita´s doing well at the moment, which is great.

Nothing to suggest HBHR is implying he knows better than the manager, either.

Just an opinion - expressed rather wistfully and with hindsight. Nowt wrong with that, subjective or otherwise.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6156 on: April 16, 2019, 04:58:07 am »
It was a very smart and mature move to slow down the play when Chelsea had their spell and the game began to get stretched a bit.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #6157 on: April 16, 2019, 05:12:57 am »
It was a very smart and mature move to slow down the play when Chelsea had their spell and the game began to get stretched a bit.

I really like Keita and am really looking forward to seeing how much better he will get over the next few seasons. But I find it funny how much credit he is getting for this one moment of game management. Isn't it to be expected of our midfielders?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6158 on: April 16, 2019, 10:25:37 am »
I really like Keita and am really looking forward to seeing how much better he will get over the next few seasons. But I find it funny how much credit he is getting for this one moment of game management. Isn't it to be expected of our midfielders?

Of course,  the point is that for the preceding number of minutes the whole thing was mad and hell for leather and he put his foot on the ball and stopped it.  It shows how he is maturing into his role and will be a key leader I believe as his confidence grows

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6159 on: April 16, 2019, 11:14:47 am »

Absolutely. But no other fucker in the whole side did it. He did. It was exactly, exactly what was needed and he stepped up. You can't ask for more.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.