Author Topic: How musical acts got their names  (Read 4415 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How musical acts got their names
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2020, 05:45:30 pm »
Bush

Naming themselves after their home district of Shepherd’s Bush, West London, Bush encountered issues abroad. In Canada, there was an existing band named Bush, so the band had to release their albums as Bush X. The copyright holder of the name in Canada, Domenic Troiano, eventually agreed to allow Bush to use the name in exchange for their donations to two Canadian charities.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:39 pm »
10cc we're not as previously suggested named after the average amount of sperm a man ejaculates, they were signed to infamous peado Johnathan King's label and he literally dreamt the name up, doesn't make for as good a story though.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2020, 08:55:53 pm »
10cc we're not as previously suggested named after the average amount of sperm a man ejaculates, they were signed to infamous peado Johnathan King's label and he literally dreamt the name up, doesn't make for as good a story though.

The perv had probably measured his output and thats where he got the name.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2020, 09:25:12 pm »
The perv had probably measured his output and thats where he got the name.

Shoulda been called 2cc then.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2020, 02:41:08 pm »
Your username mad me look up this band...

elbow

The band was called 'Mr Soft' (the name was later shortened to 'Soft') and then they changed their name a third time to 'Elbow' in 1997, inspired by a line in the BBC TV drama The Singing Detective in which the character Philip Marlow describes the word "elbow" as the loveliest word in the English language.

I believe there's an Elbow tribute band who are so good you can't tell them apart. They're called Arse.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2020, 03:12:57 pm »
I believe there's an Elbow tribute band who are so good you can't tell them apart. They're called Arse.

:lmao

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2020, 04:21:22 pm »
I'll pass on describing the supposed origin of Captain Beefheart!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2020, 10:15:35 pm »
I'll pass on describing the supposed origin of Captain Beefheart!

On an interview with Letterman, Zappa says it was because his uncle made a comment while exposing himself to his girlfriend, that's the fine beefheart comment. The name Captain Beefheart comes from that and a screenplay for a film they wanted to make was written called Captain Beefheart vs the grunt people
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2020, 09:04:02 am »
On an interview with Letterman, Zappa says it was because his uncle made a comment while exposing himself to his girlfriend, that's the fine beefheart comment. The name Captain Beefheart comes from that and a screenplay for a film they wanted to make was written called Captain Beefheart vs the grunt people

I'd also heard it was due to Zappa describing Don as having a Beef heart against the people,  whatever that means! Amazing to see so many variants that coexist.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2020, 03:12:37 pm »

;D

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend