Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension - Construction work resumed on 12th September 2023.  (Read 869700 times)

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
Re: Echo Update on Anfield Road Extension
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2019, 01:53:35 pm »
Does anybody know if there are ways in which capacity could be increased to well above 60,000? Reckon we'd fill 90,000 now if we had the space.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Online Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 01:53:37 pm »
Street behind Kenny really hampers the expansion of that. We owned most / all of it at one point too and sold them for a quid each.

Corner between Kop and Main would require the roof supports for both stand sorting. May also be space issues with the new store too, although sure that could be easily sorted.

I didn't realise the club owned the street behind and subsequently sold them off for £1...seems a shortsighted decision now?

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2019, 02:01:24 pm »
With every announcement comes the inevitable question ‘what else can be expanded!!’.
After reading these threads for a few years it’s of my opinion that this will be it for these owners. To be honest I think they’re pretty reticent to even do the Annie from a profit point of view.
As for the Centenary, Those residents on Skerries road aren’t all just going to move along quietly any time soon and why should they. The club certainly aren’t going to hound them out like they were doing in the 90’s now that the media and public have cottoned on. Looking at the mains footprint, Wylvia and maybe even Arkles roads would have to go to.

As for the Kop, Peter or Alan explained that it would have to be flattened and started again or the roof raised for an extension - neither of which are any where near cost-effective (FSG’s sensible game plan).

I’d say this is it now, for the next 20 years anyway - barring safe standing on the Kop. Unless we get new owners who want to finance a new stadium.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:06:31 pm by meady1981 »

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2019, 02:06:58 pm »
I didn't realise the club owned the street behind and subsequently sold them off for £1...seems a shortsighted decision now?

Was a while back and they sold them so cheap so they could be refurbed for reasonable prices and sold/let reasonably.

Really the club should have refurbed them and let them so they could maintain ownership.

With every announcement comes the inevitable question ‘what else can be expanded!!’.
After reading these threads for a few years it’s of my opinion that this will be it for these owners. To be honest I think they’re pretty reticent to even do the Annie from a profit point of view.
As for the Centenary, Those residents on Skerries road aren’t all just going to move along quietly any time soon and why should they. The club certainly aren’t going to hound them out like they were doing in the 90’s now that the media and public have cottoned on. Looking at the mains footprint, Wylvia and maybe even Arkles roads would have to go to.

As for the Kop, Peter or Alan explained that it would have to be flattened and started again or the roof raised for an extension - neither of which are any where near cost-effective (FSG’s sensible game plan).

I’d say this is it now, for the next 20 years anyway. Unless we get new owners who want to finance a new stadium.

I'd probably agree with this. Doubt we'd see any major push for expansion beyond the Anny Rd for a decade or so after that's completed, at which point who knows who will own us.

There won't be any easy gains (of a decent size) after the Anny so would likely take some sizable investment and disruption.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2019, 02:17:05 pm »
That was after they dropped out of the Premier League. The rule doesn't apply in the EFL.

Nah it wasn't pal. I went to a Sunderland Liverpool couple seasons ago was 2.2. I was in Sunderland end Away fans were housed up the top tier behind the goal.

The away allocation will be kept where it is I assume or moved over towards Kenny but still in the Annie Rd.

Online Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2019, 02:50:01 pm »
Nah it wasn't pal. I went to a Sunderland Liverpool couple seasons ago was 2.2. I was in Sunderland end Away fans were housed up the top tier behind the goal.

The away allocation will be kept where it is I assume or moved over towards Kenny but still in the Annie Rd.

Think I remember in the initial plans for the Anny Rd, they confirmed the away fans would be moved over to the Kenny side, like it used to be. Something to do with making it easier in so far as where the away coaches park.

That said, no reason why they can't do that now anyway, they did it when we played (and lost) to Southampton a few years ago in the LC semi.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:51:59 pm by Danny Boy »

Online Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2019, 02:51:36 pm »
Was a while back and they sold them so cheap so they could be refurbed for reasonable prices and sold/let reasonably.

Really the club should have refurbed them and let them so they could maintain ownership.

Absolutely, seems a very poor business decision. Probably put the nix on anything happening to the Kenny for many years now.

Agree with those posters saying this is it for the foreseeable future.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »

The rule was introduced the season after Sunderland were relegated.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2019, 02:57:30 pm »
The rule was introduced the season after Sunderland were relegated.

Makes sense then 

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2019, 02:58:45 pm »

I’d say this is it now, for the next 20 years anyway - barring safe standing on the Kop. Unless we get new owners who want to finance a new stadium.

I tend to agree with the bolded bit. This will generate some income but it's not going to add massively to the bottom line. In my opinion it's about creating atmosphere and reflecting the prestige of the club.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »
I tend to agree with the bolded bit. This will generate some income but it's not going to add massively to the bottom line. In my opinion it's about creating atmosphere and reflecting the prestige of the club.

It'll probably add around £8-12m a season onto the revenue, which isn't too bad for what, probably a £60m investment?

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2019, 03:16:21 pm »
It seems weird that the previous plans for a 5.5k increase that would have taken capacity close to 60k were scrapped for not being ambitious enough, but the new plans sound marginally bigger at best. I guess maybe they include some other improvements that will generate money.

Online Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2019, 03:19:56 pm »
It seems weird that the previous plans for a 5.5k increase that would have taken capacity close to 60k were scrapped for not being ambitious enough, but the new plans sound marginally bigger at best. I guess maybe they include some other improvements that will generate money.

It's not weird, it's to do with the footprint of the stadium and surrounding land, and the return on investment.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2019, 03:24:52 pm »

A further 1500 tickets could mean an extra £2m a season nearly. Doesn't sound a lot but over 5 years that cold pay back a good chunk of a £60m build cost.

Makes total sense to use the space available to it's max capacity.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2019, 04:19:54 pm »
It's not weird, it's to do with the footprint of the stadium and surrounding land, and the return on investment.
A further 1500 tickets could mean an extra £2m a season nearly. Doesn't sound a lot but over 5 years that cold pay back a good chunk of a £60m build cost.

Makes total sense to use the space available to it's max capacity.

Yeah I wouldn't argue with any of that, it just seems strange to make what felt like a big deal of allowing the previous planning permission to expire because of an apparent change in ambitions, only to then go with a marginally higher increase.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2019, 04:20:43 pm »
For those of us who are not well informed about this issue, could someone tell me what's the max capacity we can go for and why we aren't going for it?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2019, 04:21:49 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't argue with any of that, it just seems strange to make what felt like a big deal of allowing the previous planning permission to expire because of an apparent change in ambitions, only to then go with a marginally higher increase.

I imagine if they didn't make an announcement a certain section of fans would have been moaning.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2019, 04:22:31 pm »
For those of us who are not well informed about this issue, could someone tell me what's the max capacity we can go for and why we aren't going for it?

1,000,000,000,000 and because it would be exceptionally costly and the views from the back would be awful.

There is no maximum, it's simply what can be afforded really.

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2019, 04:34:51 pm »
The lapsed Annie Rd plan would have taken us to 59k.

LFC spoke about that being too small now and wanting to go higher.

I can't see them only adding 1k to that original total. That would be madness and they might as well have just stuck to the 59k design.

Absolute minimum 61k. Probably more like 62-63k.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »
Probably more like 62-63k.

As mentioned above, 62-63k would require 8-9k added on the current Anny Road, putting it at 17-18k. That would be an exceptionally large stand for behind the goal.

Online Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2019, 05:14:38 pm »
Only mitigating circumstance which suggests to me that they could do a stand this large is that there is lots of available land behind the existing Anny Road that the club own/have control of, which is not the case with the Kop/KD for example.

That said, the sight lines at the back would be extremely far back.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2019, 05:15:48 pm »
As mentioned above, 62-63k would require 8-9k added on the current Anny Road, putting it at 17-18k. That would be an exceptionally large stand for behind the goal.

It will be some size. I do remember there was some talk about revenue being made and hospitality wont make as much as its behind the goal. Id imagine they will still have a number of boxes within the stand.

I would love a Stand like the yellow wall 1 tier stand at Dortmund would look class. ( I wouldn't like to sit up the top of that )
I sat top tier on Main few months back its nice but doesn't feel like Anfield being that high up seeing part of Stanley park and house roofs in the distance.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2019, 05:15:54 pm »
Only mitigating circumstance which suggests to me that they could do a stand this large is that there is lots of available land behind the existing Anny Road that the club own/have control of, which is not the case with the Kop/KD for example.

That said, the sight lines at the back would be extremely far back.

Sight lines are the issue rather than space. Plus without corners I doubt we can get near an 18k stand.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2019, 05:29:57 pm »
I imagine if they didn't make an announcement a certain section of fans would have been moaning.

If they announce the new plans with an extra 500 seats I'm sure plenty will moan too. It just seems weird to big up the new plans if they're just going to be marginally higher, but then I guess that's what marketing people do.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2019, 05:37:36 pm »
If they announce the new plans with an extra 500 seats I'm sure plenty will moan too. It just seems weird to big up the new plans if they're just going to be marginally higher, but then I guess that's what marketing people do.

Well what else could they say? We've let it lapse but are going to submit another one so don't worry?

They've released what is the truth, that what was submitted previously is smaller than what they'd like to do now. They hardly bigged it up either, I mean the club literally gave a few sentences about it at the time...

“The progress that has been made during ongoing feasibility studies has resulted in us being in a position to allow the outline planning permission to lapse. We are committed to working with local residents, planning officials and others as we now focus on the detail behind any proposed redevelopment for Anfield Road.

“Throughout this process we have been clear that our objective is to find the best possible solution for Anfield Road and that remains the case."

Even the full post on the offy site was pretty small... https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/361704-liverpool-fc-statement-anfield-road-stand-redevelopment

The only mention of it being bigger was "a new planning application for a larger scheme in due course".

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2019, 05:46:51 pm »
Well what else could they say? We've let it lapse but are going to submit another one so don't worry?

Pretty much.

A more ambitious plan was mentioned in a few other places, but they also mentioned the 60k figure so maybe it's fine. I'm not too bothered either way really, it just seemed odd.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2019, 05:49:24 pm »
End of the day, its a positive step forward.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2019, 05:51:55 pm »
Pretty much.

A more ambitious plan was mentioned in a few other places, but they also mentioned the 60k figure so maybe it's fine. I'm not too bothered either way really, it just seemed odd.

All that's really being mentioned is above 60k, and that seems to be journos using the rounded figure slightly above what was planned anyway more than the club saying it.

Offline TheYashLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »
I don't think anyone other than the club knows the exact number. The one thing I do remember them saying is :

"A "new planning application for a larger scheme" will be submitted in due course, the club said."

So whatever that means...

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2019, 06:29:05 pm »
Hopefully I'll finally get my fucking seasie sorted.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2019, 06:53:19 pm »
So when this gets built I imagine the Bitters will have to start calling us FC Big Stands.

I need to apply for membership. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2019, 07:12:49 pm »
The lapsed Annie Rd plan would have taken us to 59k.

LFC spoke about that being too small now and wanting to go higher.

I can't see them only adding 1k to that original total. That would be madness and they might as well have just stuck to the 59k design.

Absolute minimum 61k. Probably more like 62-63k.
I'd take the club statement with a pinch of salt. While I have no doubt that they do eventually want to go above 60k, the statement was a way of placating fans for the lack of progress.

Before I get accused of being anti FSG, I'm the furthest thing possible from it but they have been incredibly clever with managing expectations re the Annie Road. My personal view as to why it's been delayed for so long is because the club are happy having demand far outweight the supply of tickets. Our current revenue per seat is approx 10% less than Arsenal's - our regular ticket prices are more than 10% cheaper and we have fewer high end corporate boxes etc, so how are we making nearly as much per seat as them? The answer is we sell loads of 'cheap' corporate tickets. Demand for tickets is so high that the club know there's enough ordinary fans that will buy these £200 odd packages if they can't get their hands on a £50 ticket. Increasing the capacity will impact the clubs ability to sell these 'cheap' corporate tickets and imo they're waiting until they can either increase ordinary ticket prices and or demand is high enough to not impact these sales.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2019, 07:24:10 pm »
I'd take the club statement with a pinch of salt. While I have no doubt that they do eventually want to go above 60k, the statement was a way of placating fans for the lack of progress.

Before I get accused of being anti FSG, I'm the furthest thing possible from it but

But you're not far from it. Here we go. The rest of your post is supposition.

Look it's good news any way you slice it. Maybe park the paranoia eh lad, it's not like anybody's gonna do a walkout over good news

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2019, 07:26:12 pm »
1,000,000,000,000 and because it would be exceptionally costly and the views from the back would be awful.

There is no maximum, it's simply what can be afforded really.

Isn’t there a threshold, based around the need to invest in the logistics of the surrounding area??

Offline reddazforever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2019, 07:53:35 pm »
The original plan would have seen us add 4,800 seats taking us to 58,800 but that was before the disabled changes so believe we’d have been closer 58,500.  The recent club announcements of going over 60,000 are great but I’d be very surprised if they went much beyond 61,000 given the spaces and structural limitations either side of the Annie.  61,000 would be a 7,000 seat increase on what we have today and take the Annie to 16,000 (some 3,000 more than the kop) and make it the biggest ‘behind  the goal’  standalone stand in the UK
Proudest ever moment was in the Ataturk stadium - i'm sure the wife will understand!

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2019, 08:05:20 pm »
Isn’t there a threshold, based around the need to invest in the logistics of the surrounding area??

Yes.  Years ago when there the move to the Parry-bowl was still very much a thing I recall seeing that a capacity of 60k or above would require an overhaul of transport infrastructure.  At the very least a new train station.

I've seen many a youtube clip where away fans, typically in the CL, are surprised to see a stadium smack bang in the middle of an urban area rather than on the outskirts of a city, so better transport links are a must for match days; especially if the club is taking capacity "comfortably" over 60k

Watching the Womens' Derby the main stand was closed, but the crowd was still around 23k; I assumed at the time the police had requested the stand was kept closed to keep the crowd at a size where it could be cleared relatively quickly after the game.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »
But you're not far from it. Here we go. The rest of your post is supposition.

Look it's good news any way you slice it. Maybe park the paranoia eh lad, it's not like anybody's gonna do a walkout over good news
No I'm miles from it. And it's not supposition, it's my opinion based on fact. We sell loads of these cheaper corporate tickets and I'm one of those fans that have bought them because I haven't been able to get a regular ticket. It's common sense that as soon as an extra 6k tickets become available, demand for a £200 ticket that's simply a regular seat with a cheap meal will decline. Heck, didn't Henry even admit at the time of the walkout that ticket prices were an obstacle to the Annie Road expansion?

The demand for tickets is there and if you look at it in isolation, the stand would pay for itself so why the delay? The club had been briefing that they wanted to go above 60k for quite sometime, the summer statement wasnt really news. It was released because the planning application was about to expire.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2019, 08:13:38 pm »
Yes.  Years ago when there the move to the Parry-bowl was still very much a thing I recall seeing that a capacity of 60k or above would require an overhaul of transport infrastructure.  At the very least a new train station.

I've seen many a youtube clip where away fans, typically in the CL, are surprised to see a stadium smack bang in the middle of an urban area rather than on the outskirts of a city, so better transport links are a must for match days; especially if the club is taking capacity "comfortably" over 60k

Watching the Womens' Derby the main stand was closed, but the crowd was still around 23k; I assumed at the time the police had requested the stand was kept closed to keep the crowd at a size where it could be cleared relatively quickly after the game.

Yep, whilst the developments are great, getting away after the match is still a nightmare, road network is still same as, i have taken over an hour to get back to the city centre after matches as everyone leaves on mass, weekends matches aren't too bad at least you can stay & have a bevvie inm one of the local boozers for an hour until everything dies down, midweek though another matter, with last trains back home being around 23.30
#Sausages

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2019, 08:41:29 pm »
No I'm miles from it. And it's not supposition, it's my opinion based on fact. We sell loads of these cheaper corporate tickets and I'm one of those fans that have bought them because I haven't been able to get a regular ticket. It's common sense that as soon as an extra 6k tickets become available, demand for a £200 ticket that's simply a regular seat with a cheap meal will decline. Heck, didn't Henry even admit at the time of the walkout that ticket prices were an obstacle to the Annie Road expansion?

The demand for tickets is there and if you look at it in isolation, the stand would pay for itself so why the delay? The club had been briefing that they wanted to go above 60k for quite sometime, the summer statement wasnt really news. It was released because the planning application was about to expire.

I agree there’s some truth in what you say. I’m a member and get tickets in the bulk sale when I can but have bought those low-level corporate seats in the past for some games and when mates from overseas want to see a match.

I don’t think the news was just about managing expectations though. There will still be a market for those kinds of corporate tickets. I would still buy them for overseas mates and the one or two games a season when my partner comes to a game. 60,000+ would deal with a lot of the demand from members like me who are struggling in the bulk sales since Klopp took over but the one or two games a season, dad & lad, or one-off overseas visitor will still want to buy a guaranteed ticket with a bit of scran and a coach to the ground.

The additional seats in the Annie Road would be general sale and season ticket seats.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2019, 08:49:55 pm »
Absolutely, seems a very poor business decision. Probably put the nix on anything happening to the Kenny for many years now.

Agree with those posters saying this is it for the foreseeable future.

It was done at a time when Moores was full steam ahead with a new stadium so has to be looked on through that lens.