Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 833378 times)

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #4040 on: January 3, 2022, 09:30:49 pm »
I’ll guess it’s about 1964 but the building ! Pretty sure it’s not north Liverpool where I grew up.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4041 on: January 4, 2022, 08:54:49 am »
There is a c reg car on the far left of the picture which makes it 65 or later , the other thing I’ve noticed is what looks like a huge lamppost to the far right which may be something you’d see around the Mersey tunnel or some city centre location , It’s an old cinema by the looks of it too possibly once known as the magnet but ain’t got a clue 😀 .

Edit  : cheated and would never have got that though realise why there’s a huge lampost now
« Last Edit: January 4, 2022, 08:59:07 am by gazzam1963 »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4042 on: January 4, 2022, 12:46:53 pm »
No idea on the building, but I'm saying 1966/67
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4043 on: January 4, 2022, 12:51:12 pm »
There is a c reg car on the far left of the picture which makes it 65 or later , the other thing I’ve noticed is what looks like a huge lamppost to the far right which may be something you’d see around the Mersey tunnel or some city centre location , It’s an old cinema by the looks of it too possibly once known as the magnet but ain’t got a clue 😀 .

Edit  : cheated and would never have got that though realise why there’s a huge lampost now

I found it on facebook and I used to drive past the place about twice a week when I was a driver for the Hire Company I work for
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #4044 on: January 4, 2022, 05:53:54 pm »
Picton road 1970 & I ate the jellytots!  :D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4045 on: January 4, 2022, 07:09:50 pm »
Picton road 1970 & I ate the jellytots!  :D

I went to Picton Road college as a 16 yr old and used to go under the bridge every day when at college and worked in the Hire Shop opposite.

The light is still there 50 years later !!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4046 on: January 4, 2022, 09:46:18 pm »
Ha. Had no idea. Only went past it about 300 times a year on the 78  ;D

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4047 on: January 4, 2022, 10:17:44 pm »
Gulley would have got it 😔

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #4048 on: January 6, 2022, 11:46:11 pm »

The light is still there 50 years later !!

You sure it's not just the "Trigger's Broom" effect?...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY

"This old broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time..."

;D
YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4049 on: January 7, 2022, 09:10:47 am »
You sure it's not just the "Trigger's Broom" effect?...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY

"This old broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time..."

;D

;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4050 on: January 28, 2022, 08:56:28 pm »
Allinsons Litherland 1978.

Allinsons.  christ, memories of that place! I used to live near there, not far from the Giro.

in the early 70's there was disco in the building called the Wispa, I met a great girl there - Pauline, an absolute cracker she was, my mates were jealous as hell. we went out for quite a while.

at one point Allinson's used to have a Sunday lunch act on.  one time it was Gerry.  me and me mates went there straight from a late night, about 8 of us, pissed as newts, and sang along with every song (not sure "sing" is the right word mind you).

I'm sure we were drowning him out quite a bit. Gerry must have been really pissed off but took it all in good humour.  surprised we weren't bounced or beaten up by the crowd.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4051 on: January 29, 2022, 08:37:38 am »
This might seem an insignificant photo, but it's another window to our past.
We'd play footy on Sevy Park every Sunday, back in the day there was no such thing as bottled water, so walking down to the fountain at half time was like having your first pint after the game. A few weeks before I saw this pic I was walking past where it was with my daughter and I was trying to explain there was a drinking fountain there once :)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4052 on: January 29, 2022, 08:59:50 am »
We'd play footy on Sevy Park every Sunday, back in the day there was no such thing as bottled water, so walking down to the fountain at half time was like having your first pint after the game. A few weeks before I saw this pic I was walking past where it was with my daughter and I was trying to explain there was a drinking fountain there once :)

The water from those drinking fountains always had a metallic taste. And yo stood a good chance of banging your gob on the spout with then next lad in line jostling for his turn at the water.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4053 on: January 29, 2022, 05:08:48 pm »
Sorry it's the Echo wsebsite, but some great pictures of the Mersey Ferries over the years. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/36-stunning-images-show-200-22864909
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4054 on: February 6, 2022, 11:35:09 pm »
Just saw this on FB. I had no idea there was a car park below Exchange Flags, much less that it was originally a tobacco warehouse.

This picture is apparently from 1956 and shows the warehouse being converted. You can see the Nelson Monument,  which I knew sat atop a shaft, but didn't realise just how extensive it was.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4055 on: February 7, 2022, 09:49:32 am »
Just saw this on FB. I had no idea there was a car park below Exchange Flags, much less that it was originally a tobacco warehouse.

This picture is apparently from 1956 and shows the warehouse being converted. You can see the Nelson Monument,  which I knew sat atop a shaft, but didn't realise just how extensive it was.

Think I’ve put similar pictures on a few years back when I found out it was a car park , the entrance is on exchange street east I think

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4056 on: February 7, 2022, 03:36:20 pm »

Is this the entrance?  Can only see it open in Google Street View in a 2016 shot, but looks car park-y.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4080471,-2.9914515,3a,48.5y,192.73h,77.86t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sI0heRyDhdvsVPJj3Dfqj1w!2e0!5s20160801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4057 on: February 7, 2022, 09:24:37 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4058 on: February 11, 2022, 05:46:12 pm »
Think I’ve put similar pictures on a few years back when I found out it was a car park , the entrance is on exchange street east I think

It's certainly fascinating to see.

Was chatting with a mate earlier in the week and she said the car park isn't open anymore? Wonder why if that's the case?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #4059 on: April 22, 2022, 07:17:33 pm »
Don't know whether this has been posted before, a back jigger, the old Kop, c 1990.
Found this on a Merseyside group on facebook.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 08:12:35 pm by Terry de Niro »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4060 on: April 23, 2022, 07:01:37 am »
Don't know whether this has been posted before, a back jigger, the old Kop, c 1990.
Found this on a Merseyside group on facebook.

That's the one we were queueing up in in 1982 when we needed to beat Spurs to win the league. Me and my mate were roughly where the women are, got there 12ish, maybe earlier , and by 1 o'clock the queue stretched back past the cameraman. Some lads in front were messing around and one lad got shoved out the queue by his mates. He goes to get back in and some bizzie on a horse wouldn't let him and despite us all telling him the lad had been there for ages he sent him to the back of the queue, poor lad was nearly in tears.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #4061 on: April 23, 2022, 07:13:58 am »

Remember it well. My school had its cross country route in the park. That fountain was a lifesaver some days 🤣⛲

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4062 on: May 19, 2022, 05:10:11 pm »
Saw this on Slash's FB page today

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4063 on: May 19, 2022, 09:08:59 pm »
Saw this on Slash's FB page today

;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4064 on: June 25, 2022, 01:55:04 pm »
After seeing a piece on the Echo app featuring Dock Road pictures from 1980 I had a look at the photographers website. There are lots of fantastic shots.

https://rickmatthews.zenfolio.com/p989419138?fpciidx=17
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4065 on: June 25, 2022, 05:02:06 pm »
After seeing a piece on the Echo app featuring Dock Road pictures from 1980 I had a look at the photographers website. There are lots of fantastic shots.

Excellent.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #4066 on: July 5, 2022, 05:11:54 pm »

Only just noticed this; brilliant  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #4067 on: September 1, 2022, 09:36:19 pm »
Brings a tear to my eye this picture, so moving,

Two Little Girls

Two little girls...aged about 4.
Standing outside their front door.
Friends or sisters, it's hard to tell.
Brought up in such a living hell.
In shelters or under tables to run.
While smokey skies hide the sun.
Another siren, another Hitler raid.
Look at the price these 2 kids paid.
Filthy dirty, in soot, ash and grime.
Sad, tired eyes, that no longer shine.
Both girls cling on to a push chair.
Sitting inside it, is a little teddy bear.
The girls half smile, as teddy is ok.
Innocent victims of war...still at play.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #4068 on: September 15, 2022, 12:56:05 am »
KIRKDALE 1974 (Leven Street near the old fire station and Brock Street I can see)

Anyone recognise themselves or old mates

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iqOd7bq1Y4I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iqOd7bq1Y4I</a>

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 01:01:03 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4069 on: September 20, 2022, 07:12:12 pm »
KIRKDALE 1974 (Leven Street near the old fire station and Brock Street I can see)

Anyone recognise themselves or old mates

Proper blast from the past that.
Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4070 on: September 23, 2022, 02:53:45 pm »
RLB clock 1909

Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #4071 on: October 7, 2022, 08:55:15 am »
A few old/ new pics

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #4072 on: October 8, 2022, 08:45:25 am »
A few more

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4073 on: October 8, 2022, 02:21:18 pm »
great stuff. zeppelin mate.

keep 'em coming .....  :)

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4074 on: October 8, 2022, 02:52:02 pm »
great stuff. zeppelin mate.

keep 'em coming .....  :)
What he said.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #4075 on: October 9, 2022, 12:48:32 pm »
Some more

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4076 on: October 10, 2022, 07:23:58 pm »
Otterspool prom before being widened in 1952.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4077 on: October 10, 2022, 07:27:34 pm »
Otterspool prom before being widened in 1952.

That’s at the Cressington end with Garston Docks in the background.

Often went down there as kids and were always a bit disappointed that we didn’t have a beach like New Brighton though.

For some reason I remember the cheese and piccalilli butties I was given to make sure I was out of the house all day.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #4078 on: October 21, 2022, 09:58:53 pm »
Can't find a thread on here to post old LFC pictures, so I thought I'd stick this in here.
Ken Dodd and the Giant Men in 1965.

picture upload site
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4079 on: October 22, 2022, 04:20:59 pm »
Can't find a thread on here to post old LFC pictures, so I thought I'd stick this in here.
Ken Dodd and the Giant Men in 1965.

picture upload site
Brilliant.