Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 393643 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1680 on: December 22, 2014, 09:56:13 am »
We cannot put  Balotelli back in the team. We looked worse when he was in the side against Utd. The only place he should be going is on the transfer list from Day 1 in January.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1681 on: December 22, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »
We didn't really look much worse at all. Apart from 1 or 2 frustration shots from outside the box he had 3 good chances which he nearly scored with so we certainly didn't fail to create once he was on the pitch.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1682 on: December 22, 2014, 01:15:45 pm »
We cannot put  Balotelli back in the team. We looked worse when he was in the side against Utd. The only place he should be going is on the transfer list from Day 1 in January.

Agreed...nothing against him personally, he is just not right for our system.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: December 22, 2014, 01:20:05 pm »
I'd like Balotelli back in the team to be fair. He's a proper striker, unlike Raheem. Raheem's a fix rather than a solution.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1684 on: December 22, 2014, 01:23:31 pm »

You're like a broken record.

I'm not sure we looked worse at all against United when he came on. He also looked good against Spurs with someone up there with him.

Personally I'd give him a go up there with Sterling, or at least with Sterling more central rather than out side, as the two of them should give defenders a lot more to think about, which will benefit both of them.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: December 22, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »
Alongside Raheem I wouldn't mind, in place of, no chance. He might actually do better if defenders are preoccupied with a run in behind, so that's what I want to see

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1686 on: December 22, 2014, 01:30:07 pm »
Alongside Raheem I wouldn't mind, in place of, no chance. He might actually do better if defenders are preoccupied with a run in behind, so that's what I want to see

Exactly.

He certainly shouldn't be plonked up there on his own, he isn't that sort of player and I don't think ever will be - but I'm not sure you can blame him for that.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #1687 on: December 22, 2014, 01:33:16 pm »
Agreed...nothing against him personally, he is just not right for our system.

Our system?

We only play one system now?  I've seen at least 5 this year.

It is a really frustrating to come across this attitude, to think that we've got a player like Mario
who hasn't played his best for us yet and that we can't get something out of him?

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1688 on: December 22, 2014, 01:35:23 pm »
Balotelli has just been unlucky in front of goal. He's definitely a proper striker he just needs something to find his form.
Seen us win everything

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: December 22, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »
Markovic seems to finally be settling in which is good, I think he seemed a bit nervous at the start of the game yesterday and the crowd helped him by egging him on and cheering when he attempted a take on or pressed the ball.

I remember reading similar about his time at Benfica, weak ineffective start, and then it just sort of clicked and he grew better and better, I hope the same is happening here.

Found this interesting from Squawka:

Aston Villa:
1 Take on
1 Chance created

Arsenal:
9 take ons
4 chances created
2 shots

The difference is huge already, if he keeps progressing he might be a great player for us

Here's the article on him if anybody is interested: http://www.squawka.com/news/analysis-markovic-impresses-against-arsenal/253739
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1690 on: December 22, 2014, 01:47:40 pm »
I remember reading similar about his time at Benfica, weak ineffective start, and then it just sort of clicked and he grew better and better, I hope the same is happening here.
If I can be pedantic a bit, Markovic started brilliantly, had a bright pre-season, scored a wonder goal in his 2nd or 3rd game against Sporting, continued to be in a team for the while, then had a dip after which he got back into the team.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: December 22, 2014, 02:35:17 pm »
Our system?

We only play one system now?  I've seen at least 5 this year.

It is a really frustrating to come across this attitude, to think that we've got a player like Mario
who hasn't played his best for us yet and that we can't get something out of him?

How many of the five have worked?

Ok...the system we primarily want to play or at least attempt to play based on the success of last year. We have Lambert as a plan B if nothing is working and we need to launch it into the box. Do we really need a £16m striker as bench option plan B? Maybe if we're Chelsea!

Even if he was to play well once Sturridge gets back, what do we do with him when Sturridge inevitably gets injured again. We need a player who can compliment Sturridge but also step in when he isn't available.

Mario just isn't that striker imo

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1692 on: December 22, 2014, 02:39:39 pm »
How many of the five have worked?

Ok...the system we primarily want to play or at least attempt to play based on the success of last year. We have Lambert as a plan B if nothing is working and we need to launch it into the box. Do we really need a £16m striker as bench option plan B? Maybe if we're Chelsea!

Even if he was to play well once Sturridge gets back, what do we do with him when Sturridge inevitably gets injured again. We need a player who can compliment Sturridge but also step in when he isn't available.

Mario just isn't that striker imo

I don't think he was ever bought as a player to step in when Sturridge wasn't available, he was meant to play with him. Sterling can play the Sturridge role for now, and we should really be signing another striker to play that role and/or alongside him too.

We need 3 decent strikers at the club, we currently have 2.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:08 pm »

Actually, an out and out striker against a team where we have so much possession is much preferred to having someone like Sterling in there.  Against a team where we are sitting back and looking to counter Sterling is a great option as the striker. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: December 22, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »
Exactly.

He certainly shouldn't be plonked up there on his own, he isn't that sort of player and I don't think ever will be - but I'm not sure you can blame him for that.

It would be interesting to see how he performs with the new formation that we are playing.  With the 2 quick players in behind that provide such good movement as Lallana and Coutinho did yesterday I think we would see Ballo doing much better.  He clearly is not a lone striker in a 4-3-3 formation.

Offline Weby72.

• Kopite
« Reply #1695 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »
Lacazette already bagged 19 goals this season (17 from, 19 in Lique1).

How many people on here were screaming for us to sign him in the summer? I know he said he wanted to stay at Lyon and Lyon didn't want to sell, but money most definitely talks. For the money we forked out for Balotelli, I'd wager my trousers we could have had this guy.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1696 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »
Lacazette already bagged 19 goals this season (17 from, 19 in Lique1).

How many people on here were screaming for us to sign him in the summer? I know he said he wanted to stay at Lyon and Lyon didn't want to sell, but money most definitely talks. For the money we forked out for Balotelli, I'd wager my trousers we could have had this guy.

That's guess work though.

Lyon are notoriously hard to negotiate with, so for all we know we went in for him and either a. He said he had no desire to leave, or b. Lyon demanded a ridiculous fee and not a penny less.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1697 on: December 22, 2014, 03:30:51 pm »
I don't think he was ever bought as a player to step in when Sturridge wasn't available

Of course he was. As soon as Sturridge was injured, who was it who was picked to play up front regularly?

I'm sure Brendan wanted to take a look at them together to see how it worked, but Balotelli replacing Sturridge in the event of an injury was always the plan

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1698 on: December 22, 2014, 03:35:04 pm »
Of course he was. As soon as Sturridge was injured, who was it who was picked to play up front regularly?

I'm sure Brendan wanted to take a look at them together to see how it worked, but Balotelli replacing Sturridge in the event of an injury was always the plan

How does that tell us anything? One of our strikers is injured so we picked another striker to play?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1699 on: December 22, 2014, 03:38:32 pm »

Pure guess work, especially given he has played them together as pretty much every opportunity.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1700 on: December 22, 2014, 03:39:23 pm »
How does that tell us anything? One of our strikers is injured so we picked another striker to play?

It obviously tells us that part of the plan in signing Balotelli is that he could replace Sturridge in our team when he was injured.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: December 22, 2014, 03:41:27 pm »
It obviously tells us that part of the plan in signing Balotelli is that he could replace Sturridge in our team when he was injured.

Not really

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1702 on: December 22, 2014, 03:42:07 pm »
Pure guess work, especially given he has played them together as pretty much every opportunity.

No, it is not guess work.

You only have to look at who Brendan picked when Sturridge was not available to see that Balotelli being able to stand in for Sturridge was part of the plan.

To think otherwise is to think that Brendan had no plan in advance for a Sturridge injury. Which obviously can't be the case.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1703 on: December 22, 2014, 03:44:29 pm »
Not really

This is incredible. So he had no plan then?

Who did he pick to play regularly when Sturridge was out?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1704 on: December 22, 2014, 03:49:49 pm »
At this point, unless there is a serious breakdown in relationship with Brendan, the other players or the other club officials I just can't see us getting rid of Mario before the summer. It hasn't worked so far but this was a gamble but this was a project that may take longer to bear fruit.

It is unlikely that he will start many games over the Xmas period, that is obvious. The key is how Mario reacts to being out of the team and what he does when he gets on the pitch. If he plays in the same way as he has done so far this season, then he probably won't get far. If he can show that he can fit in with how we are playing now, then he has every chance of making it.

A lot of it is down to him now since we cannot accommodate him by changing our style of play - we know what has the best chance of working after the last 3 games. I still think he has the attributes to do it - he is quicker than he sometimes shows and he really should be bullying defenders more than he does.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1705 on: December 22, 2014, 03:56:22 pm »
At this point, unless there is a serious breakdown in relationship with Brendan, the other players or the other club officials I just can't see us getting rid of Mario before the summer.

I think it will depend on whether someone makes us a good offer for him in January.

In order to get in another striker Brendan is probably going to have to offload one, so whichever striker we can offload for the most money will probably go.

I doubt that will be Lambert, so probably Borini or Balotelli, with Borini being favourite to leave I would think.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1706 on: December 22, 2014, 04:02:13 pm »

Yes it is, unless you're Rodgers or part of his coaching staff?

You only have to look at who Brendan picked when Sturridge was not available to see that Balotelli being able to stand in for Sturridge was part of the plan.

To think otherwise is to think that Brendan had no plan in advance for a Sturridge injury. Which obviously can't be the case.

So you're telling me Rodgers wouldn't of picked Balotelli unless Sturridge was injured? Even though at the first possible chance of got this season he started them together?

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: December 22, 2014, 04:03:30 pm »

Balotelli was brought in to play alongside Sturridge and to give us another option in case the manager chose to play a different system.  That game against Tottenham when Sturridge and Balotelli played together was the best we've played all season. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: December 22, 2014, 04:04:46 pm »

Who else was he going to pick?  Lambert, a player who he clearly bought as a 3rd striker, or Borini, a player who he tried to sell.  There were no other options then to play Balotelli by himself once Sturridge got injured. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: December 22, 2014, 04:06:26 pm »
I think it will depend on whether someone makes us a good offer for him in January.

In order to get in another striker Brendan is probably going to have to offload one, so whichever striker we can offload for the most money will probably go.

I doubt that will be Lambert, so probably Borini or Balotelli, with Borini being favourite to leave I would think.

Borini is probable pretty much nailed on to be sold in January now. 

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1710 on: December 22, 2014, 04:17:58 pm »

So you're telling me Rodgers wouldn't of picked Balotelli unless Sturridge was injured? Even though at the first possible chance of got this season he started them together?

No, I didn't say that.

This what I said:

Which was in response to this:

I don't think he was ever bought as a player to step in when Sturridge wasn't available

Which he obviously was, because that is exactly what happened when Sturridge got injured.

It is possible for him to be signed for both purposes you know, and in fact it was quite clearly the case.

If Balotelli stepping in for Sturridge wasn't ever part of the plan, who was supposed to be stepping in for him? And why weren't they being selected?

In addition, I highly doubt that the Sturridge - Balotelli partnership was already set in stone without us taking a good look at it first. If it worked well, great, if it didn't Balotelli would find himself sat on the bench as back up for Sturridge.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1711 on: December 22, 2014, 04:22:52 pm »
Who else was he going to pick?  Lambert, a player who he clearly bought as a 3rd striker, or Borini, a player who he tried to sell.  There were no other options then to play Balotelli by himself once Sturridge got injured. 

Exactly, so it was always part of the plan wasn't it? As Brendan's own team selections show.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1712 on: December 22, 2014, 04:24:17 pm »
Borini is probable pretty much nailed on to be sold in January now. 

I don't know, it will depend if he accepts an offer. Which the summer situation showed us he might not do.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1713 on: December 22, 2014, 04:32:52 pm »
It is possible for him to be signed for both purposes you know, and in fact it was quite clearly the case.

How can a player signed to play alongside someone, also be his replacement when he gets injured? Unless we're cloning him to have two of them upfront?

It's fairly clear, looking at the strikers we have at the club, that Balotelli and Sturrdige were signed to play upfront together.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: December 22, 2014, 04:39:53 pm »
Its going to be interesting to see what Sturridge's return and Ballotelli's availability will do to our attacking mix as who the hell would you start with if all are fit & able? Sturridge, Ballotelli, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana....how do you fit them all in the system we saw yesterday? A lot of questions need to be answered as you could see a change in formation again as lets be honest a system with 3 central defenders, a defensive holding midfielder that still leaks a lot of goals will probably get chucked out soon again in favor of "the more attacking players we have on the pitch the better" format.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: December 22, 2014, 04:43:05 pm »
Its going to be interesting to see what Sturridge's return and Ballotelli's availability will do to our attacking mix as who the hell would you start with if all are fit & able? Sturridge, Ballotelli, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana....how do you fit them all in the system we saw yesterday? A lot of questions need to be answered as you could see a change in formation again as lets be honest a system with 3 central defenders, a defensive holding midfielder that still leaks a lot of goals will probably get chucked out soon again in favor of "the more attacking players we have on the pitch the better" format.

Don't worry, Balotelli has done nothing to warrant his place in our starting 11
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: December 22, 2014, 04:44:39 pm »
How can a player signed to play alongside someone, also be his replacement when he gets injured? Unless we're cloning him to have two of them upfront?

It's fairly clear, looking at the strikers we have at the club, that Balotelli and Sturrdige were signed to play upfront together.

It's fairly clear our business this summer was built around 4-3-3, and Balotelli was meant to be an option. He only started in a diamond when we looked incredibly blunt against Saints & City in a 4-3-3.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1717 on: December 22, 2014, 04:47:31 pm »
It's fairly clear our business this summer was built around 4-3-3, and Balotelli was meant to be an option. He only started in a diamond when we looked incredibly blunt against Saints & City in a 4-3-3.

The only game they got to play together was vs spurs, and we played some of the best football (probably other than yesterday) we've played this season, before that he was injured and not even in the squad then came right in the side alongside Sturridge.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1718 on: December 22, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »

He wasn't just signed to play alongside him.

There was a plan for when Sturridge is fit and available, and a plan for when he is not. In addition to a plan for the different systems that Brendan prefers.

As soon as he got injured we moved back to one up front, with Balotelli stepping in for Sturridge in that role. We didn't bring in another striker and play two up front regularly, did we? Which we could of done.

So yes, Balotelli was signed to play with him in the midfield diamond, two up front formation, and in place of him in the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

And the original poster you replied to is right, we need somebody who can do both, and Mario does not look like that man at the moment.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: December 22, 2014, 04:54:05 pm »
Tell you what, let's judge Mario when he's had an extended run beside Daniel, sound fair enough?, the lad is a second striker, playing up top by himself is not his forte, let's give him a chance.