Author Topic: When they attack he's always back …  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
When they attack he's always back …
« on: February 1, 2005, 10:30:40 am »
In the summer of 1999 Gerard Houllier made, in my opinion, his most important signing for our club with the capture of Stephane Henchoz.  Countless perfect tackles, well timed interceptions and the odd handball later, and the Hench has moved to Celtic on a short-term deal.

Henchoz started his professional career in Switzerland at an early age and played for both Stade Payerne and Bulle.  English manager Roy Hodgson spotted Henchoz's potential and took him to the delightfully named Neuchatel Xamax where his career took off and he secured a transfer to Hamburg in the German Bundesliga.  In 1997 Hodgson again signed Henchoz, taking him to Ewood Park, where he made 70 league appearances.  In the summer of 1999 Houllier handed over £3.5 million and the Hench swapped the blue and white of Blackburn for the mighty red of Liverpool.

When Houllier first arrived at the club he made it clear that he wanted the team to have a strong backbone.  We had struggled defensively for a few years with simple set pieces causing us no end of problems, and so Houllier made strengthening the defence a priority.  Along with Henchoz, Sami Hyypia was brought in from Holland, in a bid to create a firm foundation upon which the rest of the team could be built.  Due to a groin injury we had to wait until September before we saw the mild, unassuming Swiss international in the red of Liverpool, but it quickly became apparent that Sami and Stephane would hit it off.  They had an almost telepathic understanding, and quickly became regarded as one of the best central defensive partnerships in England.  Henchoz was strong in the air, and an excellent, uncompromising man marker who wasn't afraid to put his body on the line to prevent an opposition attack.  He was often found covering Hyypia, and although not the best distributor of the ball he always made himself available giving his team mates an option if under pressure.  As a fan, the difference that our two new centre backs made was incredible.  In previous years my head would be in my hands every time the opposition gained a corner, unable to look until I heard the Kop sigh with relief when the ball was cleared.  It wasn't long after Henchoz joined however, when I began to watch corners again, saying to myself "Ah, we've got nothing to worry about here."  At long last we looked solid.

The 2000-2001 season will live long in the memory.  This was the season that we all got our pride back.  We could all walk tall as the red men destroyed all before them.  And instrumental to our success was the partnership between Sami and Stephane, which was arguably the best in Europe at the time.  Although it was our big Finn that received all the plaudits, our number 2 was absolutely outstanding and the fact that he was very rarely credited with the praise that his performances deserved just seemed to motivate him further.  A number of times during that season he gave world class examples of dogged defending, throwing his body in the way of shots and clearing the ball off the line.  Against Arsenal in the Mickey Owen FA Cup Final, Arsenal tore us apart, but time and again Stephane or Sami got their bodies in the way preventing certain goals - the Hench acting at times as a second goal keeper!  Commitment and determination pulled us through that match, and lay the platform for ten of the best minutes of my life.

Those handballs by Henchoz are talked about to this day, and his song pays testament to his ability to snuff out danger, but for me there are 2 defining moments that I'll remember the man for.  One was a challenge at Fulham in 2002 - with Liverpool 1-0 up a long ball over the top saw Malbranque clean through with just Dudek to beat.  As Malbranque pulled the trigger to score, Henchoz threw himself at the ball from fully ten yards away to hook the ball away from danger and out of play.  I'm not sure even he knew how he'd done it, but it was typical of the man to never give up a lost cause.  The other defining moment was just before our away game in Boavista in the European Cup in 2001-2002.  Me and a mate were sat in Speke airport waiting to board our flight, when the whole of the Liverpool squad walked past us on the way to their plane.  Everyone seemed in a good mood and we chatted to a few of the players.  And then along shuffled Henchoz, looking like he'd just got out of bed and in a right old mood.  As he walked towards us we cheekily quipped "Cheer up Stephane - give us a smile?!" To which he looked up and said "Piss off lads!" then gave us a wink and a massive grin. Brilliant.

The 2001-2002 season saw the mighty red men storm to the top of the league as their form from the end of the previous campaign continued.  The mighty reds looked a good bet to win the League Championship for the 19th time, as once again the central defensive partnership performed admirably.  Liverpool that season conceded just 30 goals in the league.  Unfortunately a combination of Gerard Houllier's terrible illness and Arsenals incredible form prevented Liverpool from winning the trophy the fans so craved, and the reds finished the season in second place.

It was during the following season that Henchoz first started suffering from injury, and he missed most of the second half of the season.  It was no coincidence that the mighty reds lost their way somewhat during that season as the continuity at the back was disrupted for the first time.  Sami Hyypia mentioned how difficult he was finding life without his trusty sidekick, and that although the likes of Traore would all make good players in the future, the instinctive understanding of each others strengths and weaknesses was lacking.  Although we restored some pride with a resounding League Cup Final win against the Corporation, the club missed out on the lucrative Champions League finishing in 5th.  It was a similar story last season.  Henchoz spent much of the first half of the season injured, but when he recovered was unable to force his way back into the side.  Gerard Houllier decided to retain Biscan, a fairly average centre midfield player, at centre back as if to prove that the Croatian was worthy of his place in a Liverpool team.  This decision back fired though as the reds continued to struggle.  Henchoz started a few games at right back, before eventually he was restored to his rightful position at the heart of the defence but it quickly became apparent that his injury problems had affected him.

Pace is an extremely important attribute in English football nowadays.  Henchoz was never lightening quick, but his injury problems have taken their toll.  When Benitez took over the helm in the summer, he quickly installed Jamie Carragher in alongside Hyypia.  Henchoz, for so long used to playing every week, became disillusioned with life at Anfield, and in a way one can't really blame him.  He played a few times in our successful League Cup run this season, but looked half the player he was a couple of seasons ago, and I believe it is the right decision to let him go.  But his contribution to our treble success should never be underestimated, and I'm sure that his goal keeping exploits will be talked about for plenty more years yet.

Good luck at Celtic Stephane.  You'll never walk alone.

© Olly 2005
« Last Edit: February 1, 2005, 03:19:52 pm by Rushian »
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
Re: When They Attack He's Always Back…
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2005, 10:54:50 am »
Good read Olly.

Only thing I would add is that I actually thought he was excellent away to THFC in the C.C. Him and Dudek played like the seniors they are.

When I saw him line up at RB away to Yeovil, I knew Houllier had lost it.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2005, 11:22:33 am by El mooro »
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2005, 11:02:27 am »
I'll second that, great read Olly, great player for us, made countless important interventions, some more legal than others!

Also spot on by El mooro about the Spurs game, he and Dudek were great with the younger lads for that game!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2005, 11:16:39 am »
Stalwart for us at the back. Those rosy cheeks and that teethy grimace, always looked knackered. Like me nan!
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 1, 2005, 11:25:16 am »
good player for us but for personal reasons hope he fails miserably for Celtic

Offline JMarsh

• Wise beyond his years
  • Legacy Fan
  • Girls Aloud fan.
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2005, 11:30:34 am »
Thanks Olly, a vastly underrated player who's time has come, however the manner of his departure has been a sad one. Good luck to him though.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2005, 01:09:22 pm »
almost brings a tear to yer eye

:'(
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2005, 01:15:37 pm »
Hope he kicks Bellamy in training...
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Djimi

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't stop believing
    • up the seasiders
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2005, 02:57:33 pm »
great read olly :'(

despite being a rangers fan, i wish him all the best at celtic
LIVERPOOL FC - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005

I'M A VOYEUR, AND A DAM GOOD ONE AT THAT!

THE GAWA PROVIDED NOT ONLY A 12TH MAN BUT A 13TH AND A 14TH AND 3 MORE ON THE BENCH.

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2005, 02:58:19 pm »
All the best Stephane!

H&H were Our finest CB pairing since 1990.
But SH never looked quite the same after coming back from injury last year.  It was only once Carra moved inside that we got back that defensive solidity we've missed.

Hope it goes well for him with the Hoops

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: When they attack he's always back …
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2005, 04:08:49 pm »
Great read Olly.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2005, 06:17:27 pm »
Agree that he was great for a few seasons.

But his tendency to drop too deep became a major problem. As the team tried to push further upfield, he'd end up dragging them all back by retreating. He cost us several goals last season by playing strikers onside when the other defenders were holding a sensible line (two occasions were ex-LFC players - Berger and Fowler).

I also didn't like his outbursts last season and this; blotted his copybook, in my eyes.

But he'll be remembered fondly, on balance. He was great at defending the edge of the area, but the best teams need to hold a higher line.

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
Re: When they attack he's always back ?
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2005, 05:31:20 am »
There was a rumour saying that one of the reasons why he was moved by Rafa is because he and Sami can not get along very well due to a very personal matter.
Is there any truth on this?

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2005, 06:22:38 am »
It is a shame that he made some stupid comments recently, but regardless thanks for the memories. I wish him the best in Scotland. A nice league to retire to. Only one team to play against.

However,I reckon we should have given him a chance between the posts this year.

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2005, 01:29:38 pm »

Only thing I would add is that I actually thought he was excellent away to THFC in the C.C. Him and Dudek played like the seniors they are.

Fair enough mate. I thought that he looked his usual solid self, but he was exposed on more than one occassion against players with pace, and we did look a little nervous at times as a result. He's done really well bringing on the likes of Raven and Whitbread though.

But his tendency to drop too deep became a major problem. As the team tried to push further upfield, he'd end up dragging them all back by retreating. He cost us several goals last season by playing strikers onside when the other defenders were holding a sensible line (two occasions were ex-LFC players - Berger and Fowler).

Good assessment Paul - it became very apparent, and a cause of frustartion to all of us, that towards the end of Houllier's tenure we were defending far too deep, almost afraid of the damage a ball over the top would cause.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2005, 12:34:43 pm »
 :thumbup

Definitely should be remembered for 2000 - 2002 rather than the few more recent games that he had. Think that his best days are behind him now but good luck to him at Celtic anyway.

Offline Murphy23

• Main Stander
  • Rush scored one, Rush scored two...
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2005, 06:58:58 pm »
Was my favourite player during the Houiller years.  Sad to see him go.  Best of luck for the future Stephane.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #17 on: February 9, 2005, 02:57:55 am »
Excellent post, Olly.