Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1073692 times)

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Klopp Template - Are we getting closer?
« Reply #1880 on: December 11, 2018, 03:24:55 am »
But Sky and the team sheet LFC produces itself shows a 4-3-3!! 

Not sure why people really care other than it suggests what a player should be doing and then how does that compare to what the players are doing? Either way who cares, call it whatever you like.  It may be technically correct to say it's a 4321 but I'll still call it a 433 because I want to and fuck the Dutch.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1881 on: December 11, 2018, 11:07:15 am »

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1882 on: December 11, 2018, 12:55:14 pm »

Average positions for 2017/2018, I can't be arsed to provide you with all 60 same games we played.

Most of those show a shape you could easily interpret as 3 'attackers' clustering together, 3 'midfielders' clustering together, 2 wide FBs and 2 CBs. The FBs are often more obviously in a line with the midfielders, but we'd never call our formation a 2-7-1, say.
"We have a very strange 4-5-1 formation with Sadio as a midfielder, Bobby [Roberto Firmino] being a midfielder more or less and Mo [Salah] being a striker, even though he plays in a little different position"
..."even though he plays in a different position"

Sure, you can call it a 4-5-1 (but note he isn't calling it a 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 could surely be interchangeable depending on roles, etc) and he clearly acknowledges that Sadio and Bobby's roles are midfield ones, but it's equally clear from the diagrams and watching games that they line up towards the top of the field and wider and then drop deeper and more central in build up, then get into the box for finishing. Milner doesn't do that - even though he's often very high and wide in those diagrams. He doesn't get into the box consistently to finish stuff. Not compared to say Keita, but then Keita ends up looking about equal to how Bobby would in those diagrams, but it's obvious from watching games which one starts where in the defensive phase AND when we're attacking.

So in terms of talking to people about how they understand our formation, how it lines up etc etc, I definitely get the value of emphasing ROLES, like Salah plays like a striker, Bobby acts more like a 10, whatever...

But what seems completely pointless to me is that when someone is describing a change from our 4-3-3 of last season as opposed to our 4-2-3-1 of this season, to then bang on about how we never played an according to Dutch coaching 4-3-3 when what that person is describing isn't SUPPOSED to be a dutch coaching 4-3-3.

What they're describing are changes from last season to this season, using the cipher of '4-3-3' which every single one of us understands as 'that formation we used last season where Bobby and Mane drop off more, Salah is always on the shoulder and there's one midfielder knitting, one tackling and one running with it and trying to get in the box more'.

What's the point of correcting someone there to then go on and describe a '4-5-1' as Klopp describes it which is actually using the EXACT same kind of roles as that poster was describing by using 4-3-3?

- I mean, don't get me wrong, these differences in roles and subtleties of tactics do really interest me but at some point it risks become pendandtry, doesn't it?

Like if we're all experts, fine, but is there any useful point in contradicting someone with something like 'but a Tomato's a fruit' when we all KNOW what people mean by vegetable, and that vegetable is actually a more useful way of describing how it's used, given the context?

To go back to Klopp's 4-5-1 description - sure, useful to know, thank you for sharing it. But most people understand 4-5-1 as a more defensive formation with a rather isolated striker. Most people understand 4-3-3 as an attacking formation with 3 players very much tasked with creating/finishing and which, moreover, also very clearly describes the lines we could see last season ***when defending***.

I'm getting a bit ranty here and probably coming across as more negative than I should be - by all means lets talk about biology and how tomatoes are really fruits and what we actually MEAN by fruits.

But lets also not lose sight of why people call it a vegetable, what MOST PEOPLE mean by vegetable and how useful that can actually be in communicating with people - go from the starting point of 'tomato = vegetable' and you're meeting people half way and creating discussion. Go straight in with the correction and there's a risk of no discussion happening, do you see what I mean?

All the best to both of you anyway.

And is an aubergine a fruit or a modified 4-1-3-2? I'm never sure. ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:02:04 pm by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1883 on: December 11, 2018, 01:06:49 pm »
You can call it whatever you want mate, but it's not a 4-3-3, never has been, You can call it 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, whatever you want, but it's not a 4-3-3-, that's my point, not because I am being picky and OCD about what people are saying but because they are differences in an actual 4-3-3 [see PoP's post] and what we did last year. Aside from Klopp stating what it is, and aside what the graphs tell you, Klopp's whole career has been anything but a 4-3-3, go back to his years at Dortmund.

They are actual differences in an actual 4-3-3 and what we did last season so the comparison between how people say tomato and potato is odd.

But whatever.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1884 on: December 11, 2018, 01:54:44 pm »
Yeah, but my point is that when you look at those diagrams what you see is 2 CBs, 2 wide FBs, 3 players in a cluster in the middle, the highest of which is about level with the lowest of the next bunch of three.

Further to which - it doesn't matter what you or Klopp call it, people understand it as 'the 4-3-3 we played last season', which is a perfectly reasonable way of describing it unless you're actually engaging, or trying to engage with someone in a debate about the finer points of tactics.

They way you're using it here, and the way it was used before, IMHO, doesn't really do anything but shut down debate. 'It's not a 4-3-3, end of' - is basically what you're saying.

Will people stop calling it a 4-3-3? No. They won't.
Will that stop being the diagram shown on Sky? No.
Will that stop being a useful description as a starting point for discussing roles and tactics? No.

And the comparison wasn't with how people HOW people say Tomato, it was about what people actually mean and hear WHEN they say tomato.

My point was that you're doing the equivalent of saying 'actually, a Tomato's a fruit' when what the original person was actually trying to talk about was how using Peppers instead of Tomatoes this season has changed the way our sauce tastes.

But never mind, I'll read up on your posts anyway because it interests me, and the person who was originally corrected will no doubt carry on calling it a 4-3-3 and contrast it to this season's 4-2-3-1.

And I'll go and have a cuppa in a minute. Everyone knows where they are with tea. Apart from foreigners, obviously.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1885 on: December 11, 2018, 01:58:20 pm »
It’s all interesting like, but we’re gonna have to reinvent every formation if you’re going by average position....
Ding ding ding ding ding.
And not only that, but if you start always describing the formation the tactically trained coach understands, as opposed to explaining how the one shown on the Sky graphic is actually used, then what you end up with is a bunch of people who don't understand what you're talking about, because they don't have the right frame of reference.
But Sky and the team sheet LFC produces itself shows a 4-3-3!! 

Not sure why people really care other than it suggests what a player should be doing and then how does that compare to what the players are doing? Either way who cares, call it whatever you like.  It may be technically correct to say it's a 4321 but I'll still call it a 433 because I want to and fuck the Dutch.
...and this response shows exactly what I mean about correcting people not making any difference, and how it doesn't really work as a useful way to introduce tactical discussion if that's what you want to do.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1886 on: December 11, 2018, 02:04:08 pm »
...and what PoP does (differently), and what makes his posts so interesting, is he always uses these 'that's not actually the formation' type posts/discussions to talk about what professional coaches mean by a formation and how he understands the roles and differences between them.

But even PoP isn't going to stop people calling our 4-5-1 a 4-3-3 and Sky posting up the latter as a graphic, and there are actually good reasons why the latter are the case, too.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #1888 on: December 16, 2018, 08:11:58 pm »
Everyone else realised(I know you've noticed) that this is now the 2nd time in a week that we've displayed a high-energy, high pressing game against a "top" opponent?

Looks like we're back to full fitness again as a team- and getting back to where we left off last season! Starting both Fabinho and Keita in such a high-profile encounter is evidence of that. Exciting times!
By February, we'll be pressing teams into submission all over Europe and the league! ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:14:53 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1889 on: December 16, 2018, 08:27:54 pm »
We needed the full press in the last 2 games, but it’s highly physically taxing. I suspect we’ll see rotation in the next few weeks to get everyone some rest for the next big game - City away. We’ve also got Arsenal in that, and Wolves are tough, but I suspect that’s the game we’re going to be as high energy as we have been this week.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1890 on: December 16, 2018, 08:40:46 pm »
Klopp talked about it before and mentioned it tonight that the midfield is key for us and having the ability to rotate in midfield and still play well is huge.

We got Wolves on Friday and more than likely we will see Henderson Milner and one of Keita/Shaqiri in midfield.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1891 on: December 22, 2018, 01:28:59 pm »
Not sure how many managers can say this in the premier league, but Jurgen has now beaten every team that has been in the prem since he joined us.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1892 on: December 22, 2018, 07:31:50 pm »
I've just checked the stat, kudos to Bass tuned to Red for it. Jurgen is now the most successful manager of Liverpool since 1936. He has a 57.26 win rate, which just pips the Kings by a small bit beyond the decimal point. Have some of that. Merry Christmas Jurgen.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1893 on: December 22, 2018, 09:55:37 pm »
Our defensive line is so well drilled, it seems like we catch the opposition offside so many times per game.  Can someone dig out the stats on this compared to the rest of the league? Loved it when milner held his run back to catch Adama Traore offside despite the fellas crazy pace,  milner just new that they could pull that off easily.  Also chuckled at mane pushing lllukaku offside at their free-kick. 

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: December 22, 2018, 11:31:01 pm »
I haven't seen an offside trap like it since Cappello and Baresi's Milan of the 90s. And ours is all the more impressive given the rule changes since then. It's very Klopp - balls to the wall but a lot more subtle than is often given credit for.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1895 on: December 22, 2018, 11:51:36 pm »
I've just checked the stat, kudos to Bass tuned to Red for it. Jurgen is now the most successful manager of Liverpool since 1936. He has a 57.26 win rate, which just pips the Kings by a small bit beyond the decimal point. Have some of that. Merry Christmas Jurgen.

Just needs to add trophies to it!

Soon, though. It's in the water.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #1896 on: December 23, 2018, 11:11:57 am »

So something I'm struggling with in the whole conversation around formation: does it make the most sense to use average position to decide what the formation was?  I mean, we all understand that the vast majority of the time, the shape is different between attacking and defensive phases, so is there an average position in possession vs out of possession?

Specifically, there was a lot of head banging on a wall regarding 433 vs 4231, what people mean/understand by those, what it actually is, etc. deFacto is adamant that we never played 433.  And based on some of those average position charts, you can see the 4231 shape for sure. 

That said, if Mane, Firmino, and Salah are our attackers tasked with getting in the box and scoring, just because two of them drop more to support in the defensive phase, or even during build-up, does that negate that they are attackers?  And if you have two 6's playing with a 10 in front of them as a midfield triangle of sorts, just because that 10 pushes forward more regularly than the two 6's, does that negate they are part of a midfield?  These things would be much clearer if there was an in-possession chart and an out-of-possession chart.  Without that, let's look at the first two examples shared earlier:

The West Ham chart shows Can and Gini back; Mane, Bobby, and Ox in a line ahead of them; and Salah slightly ahead of them.  If Mane and Bobby were only slightly behind Salah because they dropped more frequently when defending, and Ox is only showing as in-line with them because he joined the attacks more often, then this chart doesn't show them in a 4231.  Because they were in those spaces at different times, not lined up like that.  For me, the eye test would say that Ox was clearly playing deeper than the 'front 3' last season, but I haven't watched this or any other games back recently, and this wasn't something I was keeping an eye out for either.

The Newcastle chart looks quite similar to the West Ham one.  Hendo furthest back with Gini slightly ahead of him; Coutinho slightly behind Mane and Salah who are in-line with each other; and Sturridge slightly ahead of those two.  So in this instance, if they've lined up the way they have because Mane and Salah dropped more frequently than Sturridge, and Coutinho starting from a deeper position, pushed forward to the edge of or into the box more frequently, then again, we would not be seeing the team line up with Coutinho next to Mane and Salah, rather, that they occupied a similar space in the middle third, but at different times.

I don't really know, like I said, I haven't watched these games back, and I haven't been trained by a Dutch coaching academy.  I do find it strange though that conversation would be shut down because of a different label.  "It's not a 433, it's a 4231, but here's a response to the actual thing you were talking about..." would be one thing.  "You're wrong and I have nothing more to say..." may as well stay home really...
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1897 on: December 23, 2018, 12:45:13 pm »
So something I'm struggling with in the whole conversation around formation: does it make the most sense to use average position to decide what the formation was?  I mean, we all understand that the vast majority of the time, the shape is different between attacking and defensive phases, so is there an average position in possession vs out of possession?

Specifically, there was a lot of head banging on a wall regarding 433 vs 4231, what people mean/understand by those, what it actually is, etc. deFacto is adamant that we never played 433.  And based on some of those average position charts, you can see the 4231 shape for sure. 

That said, if Mane, Firmino, and Salah are our attackers tasked with getting in the box and scoring, just because two of them drop more to support in the defensive phase, or even during build-up, does that negate that they are attackers?  And if you have two 6's playing with a 10 in front of them as a midfield triangle of sorts, just because that 10 pushes forward more regularly than the two 6's, does that negate they are part of a midfield?  These things would be much clearer if there was an in-possession chart and an out-of-possession chart.  Without that, let's look at the first two examples shared earlier:

The West Ham chart shows Can and Gini back; Mane, Bobby, and Ox in a line ahead of them; and Salah slightly ahead of them.  If Mane and Bobby were only slightly behind Salah because they dropped more frequently when defending, and Ox is only showing as in-line with them because he joined the attacks more often, then this chart doesn't show them in a 4231.  Because they were in those spaces at different times, not lined up like that.  For me, the eye test would say that Ox was clearly playing deeper than the 'front 3' last season, but I haven't watched this or any other games back recently, and this wasn't something I was keeping an eye out for either.

The Newcastle chart looks quite similar to the West Ham one.  Hendo furthest back with Gini slightly ahead of him; Coutinho slightly behind Mane and Salah who are in-line with each other; and Sturridge slightly ahead of those two.  So in this instance, if they've lined up the way they have because Mane and Salah dropped more frequently than Sturridge, and Coutinho starting from a deeper position, pushed forward to the edge of or into the box more frequently, then again, we would not be seeing the team line up with Coutinho next to Mane and Salah, rather, that they occupied a similar space in the middle third, but at different times.

I don't really know, like I said, I haven't watched these games back, and I haven't been trained by a Dutch coaching academy.  I do find it strange though that conversation would be shut down because of a different label.  "It's not a 433, it's a 4231, but here's a response to the actual thing you were talking about..." would be one thing.  "You're wrong and I have nothing more to say..." may as well stay home really...

It'ts been explained by the manager on more than one occasion by the manager, what the actual roles are within our system and who does what [the quotes of that have been posted somewhere on here]. PoP has also talked about how an actual 433 functions and how they're set up, and if you look through Klopp's career, through everything he's done, it's anything but a 433. So it's a combination of things, not just me specifically being pandemic about what our formation is called and as I've said the roles within the system Klopp employs are consistent through out his career.

Many were hell bent on making a correlation between formations and our performances, [mostly in regards to how much we are pressing], but if you listen,read Klopp's interviews he tends to drop in clues whether purposely or inadvertently about what we are doing and why we are doing. The key being, is that we have knowingly stopped pressing as much as we have in the previous seasons, and learned to play in different ways in order to counter what the opposition is doing. Geggenpressing all the time only works efficiently if the opposition is willing to engage you and attack, but as we found out in previous seasons if they sit back and give you the ball, then it's not as effective. Other sides have made adjustments in that regard when playing us and that's why for a long time in any match when we had over 60 percent possession we would struggle massively.

All of this has been talked about by Klopp in recent interviews, and it's clear that we have gone with a different approach, press when we want, when we think it's needed, in certain moments, learn to deal with low block teams, learn how to be a possession side, learn how  to be more controlled so the game isn't open [and as Klopp said, we would have games where we were really good or really bad, and sometimes both of those in the same game, in the same half, because of our lack of control].

So the notion that if we go to XYZ formation, our gegenpressing will return and we will score 4 goals every game [this was from a couple of weeks ago] is false, because we have knowingly changed our approach this season in comparison to last year. That's a change within the system. So ultimately that is my whole point, we weren't playing a certain way because of formation ABC we were playing last year differently because we were pressing more than we are now.

We scored more goals last year in the opening 20-25 minutes than we did in any other part of the match and there were parts of the season that we would struggle in the 2nd half due to the pressing we did all in the first half which allowed the game to be open if we weren't up by 3 or 4 goals.

If you look at this season, we have scored more goals from the 60th minute and onwards than any other side I believe in the league.

It's not by coincidence
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:48:20 pm by deFacto »

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1898 on: December 23, 2018, 12:59:52 pm »
Yeah, I totally agree with all of that.  The big distinction being between formation and system.  Not sure how many were suggesting that the 4231 vs 433 was the reason for us pressing less, but I would understand that being something you'd want to address.  But that's not really the same as saying, we don't have a front 3, because we've never played a front 3.  Mane and Bobby are midfielders, because they sit deeper than Salah on average position charts.  Coutinho and Ox were strikers because they played as far forward as Bobby and Mane. (Now I'm not saying you've explicitly said those things either).  But calling someone out for saying that those 3 are in a 3, and Gini, Milly, Hendo sat in a 3 behind them... that seems pedantic to me.

It's all getting a bit circular though, probably best if we move on :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1899 on: December 23, 2018, 02:04:19 pm »
Yeah, I totally agree with all of that.  The big distinction being between formation and system.  Not sure how many were suggesting that the 4231 vs 433 was the reason for us pressing less, but I would understand that being something you'd want to address.  But that's not really the same as saying, we don't have a front 3, because we've never played a front 3.  Mane and Bobby are midfielders, because they sit deeper than Salah on average position charts.  Coutinho and Ox were strikers because they played as far forward as Bobby and Mane. (Now I'm not saying you've explicitly said those things either).  But calling someone out for saying that those 3 are in a 3, and Gini, Milly, Hendo sat in a 3 behind them... that seems pedantic to me.

It's all getting a bit circular though, probably best if we move on :)

Point taken mate.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1900 on: December 23, 2018, 08:07:18 pm »

It all comes down to the principles of attack and defence, and for team shape, defence more than attack

The principles of attack are (generally - there some slight federation/coaching school differences):

Penetration
Depth
Width
Mobility
Surprise/Counterattack

Penetration is the objective. There are three ways to penetrate - shooting, passing forward, or dribbling/attacking space with the ball. If penetration at the ball is not possible, then you need depth. Depth is usually created (and by "usually", I mean almost always has been), by the striker playing on the shoulder of the last defender, and traditionally by the sweeper, but with the advent of zonal defending and sweeper-keepers, that role has been taken up by the man in the nets. The next principle is Width, which can come from either the fullbacks and wingers, wingbacks, wingers only, fullbacks only, or a combination of winger and fullback on opposite sides. The purpose of width is to open up the middle of the field. The next principle is Mobility, which is basically players leaving their position and moving diagonally in and out of the field, or else players overlapping from front to back. The last main principle of attack is Surprise/Counter-attack, which is self-explanatory - using speed to transition from defence to attack to catch a defence in a disorganised state.

The defensive principles, then, are:

Pressure/Contain - slowing down the penetration attempts at the ball. This is ALWAYS performed by the nearest defender to the ball when it is lost
Cover - this covers the attacking players attempting to create depth
Balance - Covering players who are attempting to create width, also, creating the offside line
Compactness - keeping spaces between defenders tight vertically and horizontally to reduce the effects of mobility
Consolidation - dropping back to the penalty area in a compact shape to reduce the danger of a counter-attack.

So in graphic terms, a team-shape in attack should follow the lines below:

Defensively, the lines of movement would ultimately look like this:

If you could create a Venn diagram of the overlapping principles of attack and defence, you would basically get the word "Shape", because both your attacking and your defensive shape have to be closely linked in order to make transition from one to another phase as economic as possible. This is partly why man-to-man marking was overcome by zonal defending, because zonal defending gives you a better shape to transition in both directions without losing shape.

So what about formations?

Formations let you place players in optimal positions to effect the principles of attack and defence as best as possible. For example, in a true 4-3-3, the attacking depth is handled by the #9, the width by the #7 and #11 (wingers), defensive depth by the central defenders, defensive mid and keeper, and mobility by the fullbacks, the #8 and the #10:

In a 4-4-2, there's one less player for mobility in midfield, but there is better defensive depth in the square base (as Houllier once called it on a coaching course) of the 4, 5, 6 and 8.

In 5-back systems, the roles are almost more explicit, as the central defender becomes the defensive depth, the wingbacks supply the width, the striker provides attacking depth, and the midfield 3 (either a 1-2 or a 2-1) provide the mobility as well as the defensive overloads providing a great springboard for Surprise/Counterattack.

So when we're saying things like "we don't really play a 4-3-3", it's important to make that statement, because it allows us to talk about the roles the players are actually playing, so we don't  get into a situation of measuring them up against roles they aren't actually playing. For example, saying that Firmino doesn't score enough goals would be unfair to him, as he's been playing the role of the #10, which means he doesn't get into as many goalscoring positions as often as, say, Salah would. Similarly, calling Salah a "winger" belies the fact that he is our "outball", even if he starts off to the side rather than purely central. These anomalies allow us to see what Klopp is actually doing, and it's better to talk about what's actually happening in the system and formation, than it is to superimpose a "symmetrical", "media" view of the system and formation and forget the jobs the players are actually being asked to do. That's why we drill down, so that we don't look at players and the jobs they do from the wrong perspective, and then we can actually appreciate the jobs they ARE doing, rather than, say, expecting Alonso to be winning tackles, and Mascherano to be spraying the ball onto the toes of the attackers. 4-4-2, 4-3-3 etc, are okay for shorthand, but you could have 10 teams playing a 4-4-2, and all 10 would be playing it a different way. That's why precision is important.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1901 on: December 23, 2018, 08:12:44 pm »
Are we getting closer?

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1902 on: December 23, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
I think for me the most interesting thing has been the use of Keita and what that means for the team in going forward.  Is Klopp just using this to account for the extra cover needed to our right side of defense with both TAA and Gomez injured?  Or does he see this as more long term?  If it's long term then I can't see Keita being played like this forever, we're going to need to add a left sided attacker at some point.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1903 on: December 23, 2018, 09:09:08 pm »
I think for me the most interesting thing has been the use of Keita and what that means for the team in going forward.  Is Klopp just using this to account for the extra cover needed to our right side of defense with both TAA and Gomez injured?  Or does he see this as more long term?  If it's long term then I can't see Keita being played like this forever, we're going to need to add a left sided attacker at some point.

This is short term. It's clear that Keita was brought here to play in midfield. Otherwise he would have played in the position he's been playing in the last 3 games, from the start.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1904 on: December 23, 2018, 10:54:22 pm »
Thanks PoP, that's a great breakdown of system versus formation. DeFacto, thanks as well for the input!

I suppose I was only speaking to the situation HBHR described where people aren't going to stop calling last year's formation a 433 (for example). All I'm saying is that doesn't need to be the end of the conversation.  If someone says, "Salah isn't getting into as good attacking positions since we changed from 433", you could say: "it was never really a 433 because Salah was always our depth player, but having him start more centrally has changed the types of ball he receives" etc, so the formation isn't the end of it, and we are still trying to talk about the actual point the person was trying to make.

That said, this is my favourite thread for a long time, so don't take this as me believing anything other than I love your work!  Just thought I'd add my 2c to what HBHR was saying.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1905 on: December 23, 2018, 10:56:56 pm »
This is short term. It's clear that Keita was brought here to play in midfield. Otherwise he would have played in the position he's been playing in the last 3 games, from the start.
I'm curious to see if we will use Keita wide in either of the Arsenal or City games.  It feels a bit weird to me having him there.  The front 4 with Shaq felt more natural.  I kinda think it might be a less risky way of getting minutes into Naby to help prepare him for when he ultimately gets into the middle.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1906 on: December 23, 2018, 11:06:11 pm »
It's also more cautious I'd have thought because Keita will be better without the ball than Shaq.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1907 on: December 23, 2018, 11:36:15 pm »
I'm curious to see if we will use Keita wide in either of the Arsenal or City games.  It feels a bit weird to me having him there.  The front 4 with Shaq felt more natural.  I kinda think it might be a less risky way of getting minutes into Naby to help prepare him for when he ultimately gets into the middle.

I think he will revert to what we've done in previous matches against City. Against Arsenal I would like to see Keita in middle of the park to help suffocate them and win the midfield battle especially against Torreira.

I disagree that it's a way to prepare Keita for middle, as he's played there for us at the start of the season, he had a number of games and for the most part he played well even Klopp pointed out the performances were good. To me, he is doing this for tactical reasons. The injury to Trent and Gomez have sprung this because our fullbacks are responsible for creating width. Clyne is very good defensively, and he can get up and down the flank but he has his limitations going forward, and I think against United it proved to be great to have Mane on that side [and I think it caught them off guard].

Keita has the football IQ to play in a number of positions in midfield [he's by a trade central midfielder, but he's played as a six, as an 8, he's played wide for Leipzig and can play as a 10 if need be. ] and Klopp is using that in this period in time for a number of these reasons. He can cover the defensive part whist playing in this half-space, and he's comfortable in taking players on. Obviously it's not his ideal role but he can do it.

As I said, Keita's future is not to play in this position, this is pure circumstance for the reasons mentioned earlier. Against City I think if he plays he plays as one of the 3 midfielders, to combat City's strengths in midfield and he has the qualities to do so.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1908 on: December 23, 2018, 11:54:54 pm »
I see what you're saying.  What I meant was more, while he's still finding his feet, form, recovery from the injury, etc, and we have other midfielders still performing / outperforming him (subjectively).  That said, to your point, if I think about anyone else that could play the role he's playing now, Ox is the only one who comes to mind. So what you're saying makes a lot more sense.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1909 on: December 24, 2018, 12:23:47 am »
I see what you're saying.  What I meant was more, while he's still finding his feet, form, recovery from the injury, etc, and we have other midfielders still performing / outperforming him (subjectively).  That said, to your point, if I think about anyone else that could play the role he's playing now, Ox is the only one who comes to mind. So what you're saying makes a lot more sense.

I see now mate, I understand. I love his style of play and the way he takes on everyone and has the confidence ability to do so. He has so much to offer, if he can get a break from injuries and get into a proper rhythm, he's going to be a proper star in this league. A goal would do him a massive deal of good.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1910 on: December 24, 2018, 12:49:10 am »
Couldn't believe he didn't score with some of the chances he's had recently!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1911 on: December 24, 2018, 12:55:36 am »
Couldn't believe he didn't score with some of the chances he's had recently!

I agree, he could have/should have 2 or 3 goals to his name already.

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #1912 on: December 24, 2018, 02:25:29 am »
Merry Christmas everyone  :)

As the thread-title suggests I am curios about the differences and similarities between
this Liverpool-side and his best Dortmund-sides. I only watched Dortmund in Champions League games,
and I seem to have forgotten most of them. I remember them being like bees with their press,
and ofcourse that they were awesome at counter-attacking football.

But from someone less into rambling, and more into the tactics of the game:

- what differences/similarities do you see?
- are we more controlling now than hia Dortmund sides was?
- are we pressing more or less?

I am curios...  :)

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #1913 on: December 24, 2018, 04:26:23 am »
I haven't seen an offside trap like it since Cappello and Baresi's Milan of the 90s. And ours is all the more impressive given the rule changes since then. It's very Klopp - balls to the wall but a lot more subtle than is often given credit for.
Its really great, so good that the only thing I dread now is a bad call from the linesmen, thankfully so far so good this season and great that VAR is coming in next season, can only be a good thing for a set up like ours.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1914 on: December 24, 2018, 04:31:16 am »
Question for PoP and any of the other coaches etc.  What is the best thing for CB's to do after a set piece is cleared?  As in, after the initial clearance, if the defence is still penned in, should they be dropping immediately, or staying forward while we still have possession?

I ask because I heard someone on TAW mention that if Lovren had've made the same kind of number 9 type run that VVD did for his goal, that we would be furious with him.  I know that often CB's drop immediately after the first clearance, but to be honest, I thought it was a really dumb comment that we would be mad at a CB for staying forward when we still had the set piece pressure.

Curious what more official channels have to say about it?  :P

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1915 on: December 24, 2018, 06:02:44 am »
Question for PoP and any of the other coaches etc.  What is the best thing for CB's to do after a set piece is cleared?  As in, after the initial clearance, if the defence is still penned in, should they be dropping immediately, or staying forward while we still have possession?

I ask because I heard someone on TAW mention that if Lovren had've made the same kind of number 9 type run that VVD did for his goal, that we would be furious with him.  I know that often CB's drop immediately after the first clearance, but to be honest, I thought it was a really dumb comment that we would be mad at a CB for staying forward when we still had the set piece pressure.

Curious what more official channels have to say about it?  :P

It depends on a load of factors - the level of pressure on the ball, whether the coach prefers consolidated defences or high-pressure defences, how far the clearance is, how quick the defenders are, how skillful they are, etc.

For instance, I almost always coach teams to press high and tight, so any long ball out is followed with a sprint towards the halfway line, which usually catches the other team offside as they try to send a ball back in. But if I have slow centre halves, then we can't do that, so we'll push up to the edge of the box and let the keeper deal with a ball over the top, and we'll keep our shape and press the ball when it arrives into our shape. It comes down to a lot of preferences and horses-for-courses a lot of the time, even within a team (remember Rodgers always saying "if our players can't get back, then they shouldn't be going forward"? Klopp probably has the same idea, except I think he makes it more of a strict rule depending on the player, rather than the vague guideline that Brendan utilised, which leaves it up to the players to figure out, but which also depends on players being smart and self-aware :D)

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #1916 on: December 24, 2018, 03:17:35 pm »
A lot of this is covered off in the very good: The Klopp Template... thread.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=337956.0
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1917 on: December 24, 2018, 04:35:55 pm »
Thanks PoP, that's a great breakdown of system versus formation. DeFacto, thanks as well for the input!
Always, thank you guys.
..."it was never really a 433 because Salah was always our depth player, but having him start more centrally has changed the types of ball he receives" etc, so the formation isn't the end of it, and we are still trying to talk about the actual point the person was trying to make.
Likewise, I love this thread. And cheers, Fluke, you've nailed exactly where I was coming from. It was exactly this - I love the detail DeFacto and PoP have put in, and I was trying to point out how that could perhaps turn into a closing rather than an opening of conversation, which is clearly not why we're in this thread.

It shouldn't be taken as having a go and you've put it much more humbly than I did, it's been a pleasure to read all your posts.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1918 on: December 24, 2018, 04:39:32 pm »
It's also more cautious I'd have thought because Keita will be better without the ball than Shaq.
Yes, and I think it's also because he's such a natural fit for Mane's role on the left. Namely that shuttler from midfield, connecting it with the attack, which means mane can either be rested or used in more of a 'finisher' role, I guess. I'd kind of expected Keita to play this sort of a role sometimes, as DeFacto and PoP point out so well, it's all about roles/attributes rather than positions, and Keita and Mane's skillsets overlap hugely, I think.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1919 on: December 24, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »
Always, thank you guys.Likewise, I love this thread. And cheers, Fluke, you've nailed exactly where I was coming from. It was exactly this - I love the detail DeFacto and PoP have put in, and I was trying to point out how that could perhaps turn into a closing rather than an opening of conversation, which is clearly not why we're in this thread.

It shouldn't be taken as having a go and you've put it much more humbly than I did, it's been a pleasure to read all your posts.

Bah humbug!

;D

Merry Christmas, HBHR, and everyone else here. Yer mostly all good eggnogs ;D