Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and related current severe weather events  (Read 17900 times)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: Hurricane Irma and related current severe weather events
« Reply #80 on: September 8, 2017, 04:07:47 pm »
People who stay where they are in south Florida are crazy.

My parents went to Tampa from their house on the east coast. Hoping that is safer. They'll be further from the ocean on higher ground, so hopefully they will be better off.

I'm in Atlanta and we will probably get some damaging storms here. Last time the spin-off from a big hurricane hit, it caused some tornados and knocked down a lot of trees. What I'm seeing now shows we might even get a category 1 hit. Just depends if it makes it this far.

My friends moved from Miami to Orlando, I suggested they move further North but apparently all predictions on the forecast on the telly etc is saying Cat 2 by time it gets to Orlando so they are staying put there.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #81 on: September 8, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »
People who stay where they are in south Florida are crazy.

My parents went to Tampa from their house on the east coast. Hoping that is safer. They'll be further from the ocean on higher ground, so hopefully they will be better off.

I'm in Atlanta and we will probably get some damaging storms here. Last time the spin-off from a big hurricane hit, it caused some tornados and knocked down a lot of trees. What I'm seeing now shows we might even get a category 1 hit. Just depends if it makes it this far.

I personally think your parents made a mistake going to Tampa - all models have it shifting west. If anything, Tampa is just as likely to be as affected in much the same way as Miami simply because of Irma's sheer size.

I'm seeing predictions now that it'll be a category 3 once it reaches close to Palm Beach County, and from thereon in it will only weaken once it hits land. You also have to remember one thing, don't compare any of the damages and horrific scenes you see in the Carribbean to what may potentially happen in Florida. The vast majority of southern Florida has had very strict building codes since Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I expect there to be lots of trees, powerlines, and other things of that nature to be severely damaged but nothing close to the catastrophic scenes and flooding we saw in Barbuda or the surrounding areas.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #82 on: September 8, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
The wind damage would seem to be more consequential for the recovery (eg estimates by the power companies that half of Florida will be without power for a few weeks). Drop a foot of rain on top of a 10' storm surge in Miami and that's where it's really going to get messy.

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #83 on: September 8, 2017, 10:08:26 pm »
The wind damage would seem to be more consequential for the recovery (eg estimates by the power companies that half of Florida will be without power for a few weeks). Drop a foot of rain on top of a 10' storm surge in Miami and that's where it's really going to get messy.

Yeah, the storm surge in the coastal areas is where it will get messy. Which is why it's no surprise that people right along the coast are being evacuated mandatory. Inland I imagine it won't be as bad though, at least from that perspective. You're right about the power, I'd estimate that it'll take at least two weeks if not more for the hardest hit areas to regain their power.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #84 on: September 8, 2017, 10:53:27 pm »
My girlfriends mum, sister and niece live in Tampa, they're heading north to Alabama today. They have another family member living in the north of the state. Gonna be a long drive but better safe that sorry. Hopefully they still have houses to come back to afterwards

Guy I went through my trade training is currently based in Beaufort, South Carolina and he and his wife have been evacuated too.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 10:55:43 pm by Rob K »
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #85 on: September 8, 2017, 11:01:49 pm »
My girlfriends mum, sister and niece live in Tampa, they're heading north to Alabama today. They have another family member living in the north of the state. Gonna be a long drive but better safe that sorry. Hopefully they still have houses to come back to afterwards

Guy I went through my trade training is currently based in Beaufort, South Carolina and he and his wife have been evacuated too.

Aren't the highways absolutely packed? They're taking a risk by getting on the road. Hope they at least have enough fuel to make it there, as they're bound to hit traffic of epic proportions at least somewhere along their journey.

And they're already evacuating in parts of South Carolina?  :o

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #86 on: September 8, 2017, 11:14:44 pm »
Aren't the highways absolutely packed? They're taking a risk by getting on the road. Hope they at least have enough fuel to make it there, as they're bound to hit traffic of epic proportions at least somewhere along their journey.

And they're already evacuating in parts of South Carolina?  :o

It's not due to hit the southern tip of Florida till Sunday I think so hopefully they'll get far enough away before it gets close.

He's RAF based with the Americans so maybe they just being proactive and cautious. I'm not sure just saw him post on his social media they're being evacuated from their house. :-/
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #87 on: September 8, 2017, 11:50:54 pm »
My brother and his partner are on holiday in Orlando currently. They don't seem all too concerned, neither do the locals. I found that strange, they are going to get some strong winds and a shit load of rain at least.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #88 on: September 8, 2017, 11:54:51 pm »
My brother and his partner are on holiday in Orlando currently. They don't seem all too concerned, neither do the locals. I found that strange, they are going to get some strong winds and a shit load of rain at least.

When you live in Florida and hurricane ally what's a bit of wind and rain? This is the same mentality that the people of Pompeii showed. Surprise there's lava in the living room.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #89 on: September 8, 2017, 11:59:43 pm »

Surprise there's lava in the living room.

Me too, so early 90s.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #90 on: September 9, 2017, 12:05:00 am »

When you live in Florida and hurricane ally what's a bit of wind and rain? This is the same mentality that the people of Pompeii showed. Surprise there's lava in the living room.

Because comparing an event that happened thousands of years ago where people had fuck all idea what was happening to one where people know what to expect, how to expect it, where to expect it, and how to prepare for it is apt.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #91 on: September 9, 2017, 12:06:47 am »
Because comparing an event that happened thousands of years ago where people had fuck all idea what was happening to one where people know what to expect, how to expect it, where to expect it, and how to prepare for it is apt.

Jesus Christ mate it was a joke. Take a chill pill and relax.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #92 on: September 9, 2017, 12:38:05 am »

But there were warning signs at the time letters from Pompeii talked of earth tremers ages before it erupted but no one took any notice.

I guess they thought their Gods would protect them or the Rome empire was invincible.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2017, 12:43:06 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #93 on: September 9, 2017, 01:04:51 am »
They are saying its getting stronger and will be a Cat 5 when it hits.

And anyone who stayed on the Keys may not survive.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #94 on: September 9, 2017, 02:16:56 am »
I'm in Naples and staying put. We've done all we can do and if I don't survive  .  .  well, I've enjoyed the 13 years of being a RAWKite.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #95 on: September 9, 2017, 02:18:21 am »
They are saying its getting stronger and will be a Cat 5 when it hits.

And anyone who stayed on the Keys may not survive.

The category thing is just maintained windspeed. I thunk ot was 4, but only 5 mph lower than cat 5?

The really scary thing will be the water, the volumes of rain and the storm surge of the ocean. Florida is pretty damn flat. Not much in the way of high ground to go to.

The Keys could bescrewed long term by having the sea swallow them up for a while and by all those bridges getting knocked out. Those people who are staying are mad.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #96 on: September 9, 2017, 05:12:09 am »
Looks like its gunna sneak all the way through and turn up the west coast of florida!

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 9, 2017, 06:33:48 am »
It's funny, I'd take the weather here any day over the weather in the UK.

I just can't imagine having to deal with clouds and rain and cool/cold weather 80% of the year but I know a lot of you in the UK are just fine with that. But at the same time, I'm guessing most people here would take the warmth and sunshine and occasional threat of a hurricane which probably sounds unfathomable to people in your neck of the woods.

Exactly. The year round warm weather, sun, just life really....is one of the few great joys of the tropics (or nearby). Once you're there it's hard to think you could have lived in any other situation, and it's meant to be enjoyed, because bar Singapore, most countries in these zones seem to be corrupt, run by crackpots, or both!

Stay safe fellow Rawkites.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #98 on: September 9, 2017, 08:03:30 am »
That fella interviewed at around 05:00 on CNN - on the FOURTH floor of a CONDO in Florida Keys.

The Met Office (Whatever they are called in the US) said that "This uprated Hurricane isn't survivable in Florida Keys"

They interviewed him and he's on the fourth floor with his missus and others and a load of people haven't boarded the windows up in the Hotel down the road and think that it'll be "OK"

Hopefully they'll be OK, but seems a big risk to take.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #99 on: September 9, 2017, 08:25:02 am »
Wow...

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #100 on: September 9, 2017, 08:29:56 am »
:lmao

That fella on CNN. Covering an incoming Hurricane - has an all-weather jacket. Doesn't put it on. Is 'Surprised' to get hit by massive amounts of wind and rain - is totally soaking and struggling with his crew to get his coat on.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #101 on: September 9, 2017, 08:30:27 am »
Wow...

Worse than that - there's three Hurricanes around there at the moment in a line.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 9, 2017, 09:12:20 am »
Worse than that - there's three Hurricanes around there at the moment in a line.

Think Katia is now a tropical storm, so it's two, but your point stands

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #103 on: September 9, 2017, 10:20:41 am »
Blimey, look at this before and after of Barbuda

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #104 on: September 9, 2017, 10:25:38 am »
The new Euro model, which has proven to be the most accurate by far, has it making landfall on the west coast now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #105 on: September 9, 2017, 12:13:27 pm »
The new Euro model, which has proven to be the most accurate by far, has it making landfall on the west coast now.

Yep will skirt Miami, but hit Tampa before going up through Georgia and up to Tennessee

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #106 on: September 9, 2017, 02:38:14 pm »
They are saying even the hardliners are leaving the Keys now.

But I bet a few will still stay.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #107 on: September 9, 2017, 06:56:31 pm »

I just can't imagine having to deal with clouds and rain and cool/cold weather 80% of the year but I know a lot of you in the UK are just fine with that. But at the same time, I'm guessing most people here would take the warmth and sunshine and occasional threat of a hurricane which probably sounds unfathomable to people in your neck of the woods.
I would no doubt jump at the opportunity to live in Florida and end up sharing the same sentiments. The one thing I'd say though would be it's all very well saying you'd take the warmth and sunshine and occasional threat of hurricane, but there are people whose circumstances mean that they are going to meet the threat of this extreme weather dead on, and their lives will be absolutely devastated as a result, in one way or another. And obviously the worry would be of this getting more common and worse.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #108 on: September 9, 2017, 07:29:57 pm »
Yep will skirt Miami, but hit Tampa before going up through Georgia and up to Tennessee

That's a shame, I was hoping that it would pass straight over Mar a Lago, rip the whole fucking thing straight off the ground and deposit it on the White House lawn a couple of days later
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #109 on: September 9, 2017, 07:52:17 pm »
That's a shame, I was hoping that it would pass straight over Mar a Lago, rip the whole fucking thing straight off the ground and deposit it on the White House lawn a couple of days later

Drumpf would love that,he paid $10m for it and has already claimed $18m for 'storm damage',storm damage that none of the local people or workers can remember happening and that Drumpf only got permits for $3000 worth of work.

Oh and there's also the fact that he gets cheap insurance that is subsidised by the gov.Nothing to do with him being POTUS,it seems that all the rich wankers that can afford these properties get it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #110 on: September 9, 2017, 08:12:36 pm »

I know what you mean. The clouds and rain are a bummer and I've never really gotten used to it but the thought of having your home, business and possibly your life taken away make it a difficult choice.
On another subject, it is difficult getting home insurance in these areas?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #111 on: September 9, 2017, 08:55:10 pm »
Good luck to any of you still in Florida. Looks like it will be a really rough one all the way up the peninsula, in one way or another.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 9, 2017, 09:10:06 pm »
Just watched a live feed from the southern most tip of key west and yes there are people standing there with massive waves breaking over the wall taking photos. Absolute fools.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #113 on: September 9, 2017, 09:12:30 pm »
Just watched a live feed from the southern most tip of key west and yes there are people standing there with massive waves breaking over the wall taking photos. Absolute fools.

Link?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #114 on: September 9, 2017, 09:18:35 pm »

Had MSNBC on as I was washing up, they had a woman (originally from New Jersey) determined that she'd be absolutely fine riding out Irma at her home in Naples, Florida. She knew what was going to happen because she'd been in a cat 3 without leaving, and she had God on her side. There's a high likelihood of up to a 15' storm surge rolling straight over her house. May be harsh, but there's only so much anyone can do to save people from their own stupidity. Even Trump's been on message about this being serious.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #115 on: September 9, 2017, 09:23:46 pm »

:no

Polk County Sheriff ✔ @PolkCoSheriff

If you go to a shelter for #Irma and you have a warrant, we'll gladly escort you to the safe and secure shelter called the Polk County Jail

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #116 on: September 9, 2017, 10:37:50 pm »
:no

Polk County Sheriff ✔ @PolkCoSheriff

If you go to a shelter for #Irma and you have a warrant, we'll gladly escort you to the safe and secure shelter called the Polk County Jail

For full context:

https://twitter.com/PolkCoSheriff/status/905438093527928834

Perhaps the original stated classes of whom would be barred is defensible. The sheriff's blanket reaction (for things like failure to appear for traffic offenses, etc.) is why the position of sheriff should not be an elected position. I'll never get mu head around the idea of electing judges, sheriffs and state attorneys.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:34:57 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2017, 05:11:34 pm »
That was strange CNN doing a live report with 100mph gusts with her having to hold onto a railing and 2 blokes on bikes rode past.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2017, 05:13:29 pm »
Miami flooding due to the sea surge

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2017, 05:45:02 pm »
Have heard some beaches were sucked dry of water. Presumably it's down to winds, storms surges and the sheer amount of moisture being moved/absorbed.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art