Author Topic: One Man's Mission to X $44 billion Goodbye  (Read 70392 times)

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Re: One Man's Mission to X $44 billion Goodbye
« Reply #1000 on: Today at 08:34:20 am »
But without progressive steering it forces you to cross your arms over each other, which is very unsafe. Unlike the aforementioned Lexus, you have to turn the wheel more than 360 for full lock (I think it’s 2.5 turns).

Also, 10–2 is the safest position for driving is it not? At least, I was taught that in my test and also on a few rally days. Probably a minor point either way, but you can’t do 10-2 with a yoke.

Then, the fuck is clustered by adding the indicator controls to the wheel and making the horn a small button.

Steering wheels have their side arms on the 9-3 position and not the 10-2. So, ergonomically, you are resting your thumbs and index finger around the 9-3 position. And what I inferred from your post is that, different driving schools suggest different positions. Some say 10-2 while some say 9-3.

In the Tesla, the lock-to-lock (Left most steering position to right most steering position) is about 360°. Just found out from a colleague. It is much less than most passenger cars. 2.5 turns per side.

So technically, I dont have to "cross hands" as often as a passenger car. With the yoke. I will still cross hands while turning, once per side, while for passenger cars, its 2 per side.

But one thing I will agree is that the controls on the wheels are a disaster. I really hated them when I TDed one Tesla last year. I liked the yoke I wont lie. I think it gave me more viewing space from top of the dashboard. And it was a bit weird but I think I will get used to it.

It's called a yoke. Wait, you didn't think that Musk came up with an original name for this shit idea did you?

LOL no. Definitely not. He definitely didnt come up with the name.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:42:58 am by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: One Man's Mission to X $44 billion Goodbye
« Reply #1001 on: Today at 12:10:12 pm »
So technically, I dont have to "cross hands" as often as a passenger car. With the yoke. I will still cross hands while turning, once per side, while for passenger cars, its 2 per side.
Sorry to pick out a single line from your post but with a traditional steering wheel all students are taught to shuffle the wheel around however many degrees are required without every crossing their hands (e.g. a full turn to the right would be right hand pull down, left hand push up, right hand pull down etc.).  That's the case for the UK anyway although crossing hands wouldn't alone be a reason for failing a driving test.

That shuffling isn't possible with a yoke as at 90 degrees you don't have anything to pull down on anymore.

In practice most people use the power steering to one-handedly spin the wheel with their palm which would lead to a test failure  ;D