Author Topic: Favourite Aircraft  (Read 68169 times)

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Favourite Aircraft
« Reply #480 on: December 5, 2021, 01:38:58 pm »
I read that they think they can replace both the F16 and the A10 with the F35, they think that the F35 can be used in a stand off way, using tech to identify and attack targets from a distance, rather than up close with the A10.

A 4 star general thinks a B1 is suitable for close air support?  ??? :butt

Saw the A10 during live firing exercise in the 80’s. The burp of that gatling gun alone is enough to scare you shitless. Pretty much the only thing you hear, I recall.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2021, 01:40:42 pm by stjohns »

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: December 5, 2021, 02:04:38 pm »

Saw the A10 during live firing exercise in the 80’s. The burp of that gatling gun alone is enough to scare you shitless. Pretty much the only thing you hear, I recall.

Theoretically, if you got hit by one of those rounds, you would be dead before the burp reaches you.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: December 6, 2021, 03:18:15 pm »
Theoretically, if you got hit by one of those rounds, you would be dead before the burp reaches you.

Absolutely. 100 1lb rounds a second. Glad I was the other end of the valley.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: December 6, 2021, 03:23:07 pm »

Got sent a video a few years ago from an A10 gun camera, taking out some Taliban/Al Qaeda/some terrorists who were on foot. Brutal.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #484 on: December 6, 2021, 10:47:36 pm »
4:25 onwards.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tP-ysPz7tJ8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tP-ysPz7tJ8</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #485 on: December 8, 2021, 07:23:55 am »
There is no better CAS aircraft in existence than this beast. 

And how cool are those AIM9 sidewinders to defend against aggressors in the sky? 
Phuk yoo

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #486 on: December 15, 2021, 10:23:34 pm »
Real shame that all commercial airlines look pretty much the same these days. They've even got rid of tri-jets in the main.

Look at that. Lockheed SuperConstellation - that's space age.

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #487 on: December 16, 2021, 12:50:57 pm »
Real shame that all commercial airlines look pretty much the same these days. They've even got rid of tri-jets in the main.

Look at that. Lockheed SuperConstellation - that's space age.

Agreed.

Efficiency and econmy has driven design decisions over the last two decades.

Quad jets are pretty much gone, with the 747 becoming a rare sight in the passenger space. A380, magnificent as it is, is on its way out. A340 is also in operation but is pretty much done due to its economics.

Tri jets have been gone for a while, with the only one in service being the MD 11, which is only used as a cargo aircraft by the likes of Fedex. A pity, the 727 had amazing climb peformance and looked the part.

Lockheed Tristar is probably the best designed aircraft of the last 50 years, with tech way ahead of its time. What a beauty.

Phuk yoo

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: December 16, 2021, 12:53:37 pm »
That's where the 1011 in my username comes from, was my favourite plane as a child.

I was not a cool child.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: December 16, 2021, 12:55:41 pm »
Used to love the tri-jets. In the early 90's, Heathrow would be full of MD11's. Tristars and 747's. Also used to love the "mad dog" MD80. The sound it used to make when departing, wow. People from miles away would know about it! What a beauty as well

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #490 on: December 16, 2021, 01:24:10 pm »
That's where the 1011 in my username comes from, was my favourite plane as a child.

I was not a cool child.

It lost the market to the DC10, an inferior plane in every respect, due to bad management decisions. This should have sold a lot more than it did.

Used to love the tri-jets. In the early 90's, Heathrow would be full of MD11's. Tristars and 747's. Also used to love the "mad dog" MD80. The sound it used to make when departing, wow. People from miles away would know about it! What a beauty as well

MD8X/9X series was in passenger service as recently as 2019. If you got seats near the front, it was nice and silent. However, if you had the misfortune of being seated near the rear, you would feel the full force of those rear mounted engines.

Nice looking bird, but it climbed like a dog according to some pilots ;D
Phuk yoo

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #491 on: December 16, 2021, 04:45:39 pm »

I was not a cool child.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: January 20, 2022, 07:00:09 pm »
If I win the Euromillions this week, I'm going Spitfire shopping. Up for sale at £4.5 million

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2022, 01:41:23 am »

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2022, 02:00:15 am »
If I win the Euromillions this week, I'm going Spitfire shopping. Up for sale at £4.5 million

What's the most beautiful propeller aircraft ever? Spitfire or Mosquito?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: January 24, 2022, 01:38:54 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ag5XlJ7gRbE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ag5XlJ7gRbE</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: January 24, 2022, 02:32:26 pm »
What's the most beautiful propeller aircraft ever? Spitfire or Mosquito?

Spitfire for me all day long. As a kid I never actually built an Airfix Mosquito as they didn't appeal to me for some reason, always Spits, Hurricanes, ME109 or FW190, with the odd Typhoon or Tempest thrown in.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: February 18, 2022, 01:20:13 pm »
We've all sacked off work for Big Jet TV haven't we?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #498 on: February 18, 2022, 01:24:38 pm »
We've all sacked off work for Big Jet TV haven't we?
look out for my front fence…. Should be in shot before too long.

On a positive note I’ve gained a greenhouse

“Look at that rudder input!”  Is more partridge than partridge though
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 18, 2022, 01:29:36 pm »
"These pilots have all got big kahunas...not the women obviously" was the absolute highlight.

He's a good egg though:

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2022, 09:54:10 pm »
216k people watching when I tuned it, crazy. Must've got a lot of well deserved subs too.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2022, 06:56:06 pm »
Wonder if he’s watched one of my landings.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2022, 11:34:05 pm »
was privileged  as a child to see the Aeroflot Illyushin and Tupolev passenger aircraft on an almost daily basis. they were so unique in design. the small one with the glass nose, the other larger one with the 3 engines on the tail and another one with 2 engines on either side of the tail. then there was the bigger Illyushin one that was slightly similar to your average boeing 767 but looked cooler

also saw the concorde regularly. was flown around here alot in the early 90s on training exercises. I have never seen or heard anything like that. the whole house would shake when it passed over.

Still see the Antonov AN-225 every now and again.

as mentioned altready, its sad how generic and bland aircraft designs have become as the years pass.  was definitely spoilt as a kid to be able to witness the aircraft i mentioned above.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:02:45 am by darragh85 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #503 on: February 21, 2022, 12:51:28 pm »
Those Soviet birds looked so cool with their low bypass turbofans and weird engine placements like the IL 62 with its 2+2 rear mounted engines.

Some of those soviet era jets needed 5 people to operate! Captain, co-captain, flight engineers, navigator, radio controller!!

Phuk yoo

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: February 22, 2022, 12:38:28 am »
Those Soviet birds looked so cool with their low bypass turbofans and weird engine placements like the IL 62 with its 2+2 rear mounted engines.

Some of those soviet era jets needed 5 people to operate! Captain, co-captain, flight engineers, navigator, radio controller!!

Apparantly werent the most pleasant flying experience. Who cares, they looked cool  :D

The tupolev that looked like the concorde was a complete deathtrap. A few of them crashed and I remember reading an account of how awful it was to fly on it. One of them crashed when it was unveiled at an air show in France. They rushed it just to get it out before the concorde and claim to have the first supersonic passenger aircraft

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: February 22, 2022, 01:05:34 pm »
The sounds coming from the Antonovs is truly unique, can even hear it several minutes after it's passed over you. Was working in Manchester few yars ago and heard an AN-22 (worlds largest prop) on finals, genuinely thought it was a military aircraft coming in.

Also living close to Leeds we get the Airbus A400M regularly doing circuits, great looking bird

Saw the Tupolev 154 a few times flying out of Manchester when Balkan Holidays were bringing them in. Like a 727 on steroids.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 01:07:11 pm by I've been a good boy. »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #506 on: February 22, 2022, 04:17:02 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: February 22, 2022, 04:27:37 pm »
Spitfire for me all day long. As a kid I never actually built an Airfix Mosquito as they didn't appeal to me for some reason, always Spits, Hurricanes, ME109 or FW190, with the odd Typhoon or Tempest thrown in.

I helped to build the spitfire museum at Manston back in the day !!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: February 27, 2022, 03:58:16 pm »
Reports this huge beast has been destroyed by the Russians. RIP the Antonov 225 "Mriya. Never got to see it in person but the fact that it's wing is as long as most commercial jets is mad

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2022, 05:09:54 pm »
Why didn't they move it? It's nothing in the scheme of the human lives being lost right now, but it's still a very sad footnote.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: March 4, 2022, 01:30:04 pm »
Mriya is confirmed destroyed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #511 on: March 4, 2022, 02:34:36 pm »
What an absolute fucking shame. C***s.

Phuk yoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: March 6, 2022, 03:34:31 pm »
Reports this huge beast has been destroyed by the Russians. RIP the Antonov 225 "Mriya. Never got to see it in person but the fact that it's wing is as long as most commercial jets is mad

It was confirmed from the Ukrainian ministry of defence that they destroyed the hangar themselves to prevent it from being captured by the Russians.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: March 6, 2022, 10:32:39 pm »

was lucky enough to see it up close. an absolute monster. sad thats it has been destroyed.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: March 6, 2022, 10:33:54 pm »
Why didn't they move it? It's nothing in the scheme of the human lives being lost right now, but it's still a very sad footnote.

it was damaged from a landing in early February and has been parked in a hangar since while awaiting repairs

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: November 13, 2022, 09:29:16 pm »
Awful accident in the states yesterday, a B17 bomber & a P63 involved in a midair collision at an air show. Won’t post the footage although it’s been captured and posted online by a number of people, horrible stuff.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: November 13, 2022, 09:49:44 pm »
Yeah horrible accident and RIP to the crew. Seemed like the P36 pilot made a fatal mistake on that maneuver which resulted in the B17 being out of his line of sight.

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: November 13, 2022, 09:53:50 pm »
Yeah horrible accident and RIP to the crew. Seemed like the P36 pilot made a fatal mistake on that maneuver which resulted in the B17 being out of his line of sight.

Yeah, saw a photo of the cockpit of the P36 and it’s full of blind spots.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #519 on: November 13, 2022, 10:03:51 pm »

I love this plane… ok, it has no wings… but this made the spitfire possible
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W