Author Topic: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?  (Read 106737 times)

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Is Google listening to our conversations for targeted ads?
« Reply #160 on: June 2, 2016, 05:45:17 am »
I was doing a pub quiz yesterday and one question was "what is the opposite of a symonym?"

After a bit of discussion in the team I decided to sneakily google it (I'm a monster, I know!)...typed out "opposite of" and the top of the autofilled options was "symonym". Seems a bit weird as it can hardly be a regular so made me think of this thread.

Turns out we already had the correct answer so I wasn't technically cheating, merely verifying by the way. :D

For the record I just tried it

Typing as far as "opposite" and the first suggestion is

opposite symonym

carried on typing of as in "opposite of" and the suggestions change and the word symonym disappears.

Can honestly say its not a word I'm familiar with so it wont be in my browsing history. I imagine it get there due to popularity if the search.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #161 on: June 2, 2016, 06:23:25 am »
For the record I just tried it

Typing as far as "opposite" and the first suggestion is

opposite symonym

carried on typing of as in "opposite of" and the suggestions change and the word symonym disappears.

Can honestly say its not a word I'm familiar with so it wont be in my browsing history. I imagine it get there due to popularity if the search.

It comes up as the second search result after 'opposite number' for me.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #162 on: June 2, 2016, 11:01:22 am »
My sister was telling me an interesting story this morning. She was at a friend's house, and was admiring her new handbag. She said, 'Is that a Michael Kors handbag?' She said yes, said her husband got it for her etc...

My sister went home and on her tablet logged into FB. The first thing she saw was an advert for Michael Kors handbags, which appeared throughout the evening.

My sister said she had never googled or looked up a Michael Kors handbag, she isn't really a designer handbag person.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #163 on: June 2, 2016, 11:06:04 am »
I wonder if google knew your location? No doubt there were other Android users in the pub also searching for opposite of synonym.
Personally I'd have googled antonym, just to verify I had the right answer. Who am I kidding, I know it's right!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #164 on: June 5, 2016, 10:59:33 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36443926

I should've just wrote about it on the off.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: June 5, 2016, 11:24:58 am »
I was doing a pub quiz yesterday and one question was "what is the opposite of a symonym?"

Disappointed at the lack of invitation.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: June 5, 2016, 11:31:47 am »
My sister was telling me an interesting story this morning. She was at a friend's house, and was admiring her new handbag. She said, 'Is that a Michael Kors handbag?' She said yes, said her husband got it for her etc...

My sister went home and on her tablet logged into FB. The first thing she saw was an advert for Michael Kors handbags, which appeared throughout the evening.

My sister said she had never googled or looked up a Michael Kors handbag, she isn't really a designer handbag person.
Alternative theory

https://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 6, 2016, 01:18:02 pm »
My 18 yo was telling me in the car on Saturday evening that her preferred tipple is gin. And went into why. Personally I don't like the stuff and pretty sure it VERY rarely comes up in conversation.
Yesterday, a post appeared on my facebook telling me about the chemical reasons that Gin and Tonic 'work'. If I were in the tin hat brigade I'd swear they were listening. Especially as she's hoping to study CHEMISTRY in Manchester . The fact the post was from a former colleague and not an advert highlights the coincence spotting when you're aware of it !

(and yes, I'm not sure which is worse, drinkin gin, or a Liverpool fan choosing to study in Manchester)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #168 on: June 6, 2016, 01:34:40 pm »

Was with my mum and dad. Rock n roll.  And I know you can't abide cheating Daniel.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #169 on: June 8, 2016, 01:51:07 pm »

Don't worry Dan, he's lying, he's got no mates and he never goes out.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2016, 10:40:31 am »
So. Little weird one here.

Me and the lady were just talking about peeing in the shower - that everyone does it... We were giggling, laughing and chatting about it (as well as general toilet humour).

Goes on YouTube to find some music to put on...

Continually on 11,420.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2016, 11:33:48 pm »
I got a message about some change on Google today about targeted ads and adjusting privacy settings, etc, etc and immediately thought of this thread.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2016, 02:39:53 pm »
I got a message about some change on Google today about targeted ads and adjusting privacy settings, etc, etc and immediately thought of this thread.
Why did you have to make me scroll up and re-read kidders post?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2016, 02:31:01 pm »
Why did you have to make me scroll up and re-read kidders post?

I know, shit jokes.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2016, 02:19:37 pm »
So. Little weird one here.

Me and the lady were just talking about peeing in the shower - that everyone does it... We were giggling, laughing and chatting about it (as well as general toilet humour).

Goes on YouTube to find some music to put on...
And what relevance does laxative have to peeing in the shower?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »
I was speaking to my niece at the weekend, and she mentioned how her Dad was explaining to her what the KKK are, as she didn't really know.

They didn't Google it, it just got mentioned in a conversation and she asked him about it. She was then reading a story online later that day and in the links were several articles about the KKK... I refuse to believe that was just coincidence. I can understand a handbag, as what happened to my sister, but not the KKK - that's too specific.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2016, 03:40:36 pm »
I was speaking to my niece at the weekend, and she mentioned how her Dad was explaining to her what the KKK are, as she didn't really know.

They didn't Google it, it just got mentioned in a conversation and she asked him about it. She was then reading a story online later that day and in the links were several articles about the KKK... I refuse to believe that was just coincidence. I can understand a handbag, as what happened to my sister, but not the KKK - that's too specific.

Where were they discussing it - over the phone? Within earshot of an android phone? In the matrix?

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2016, 08:23:10 am »

Isn't a designer handbag person but asked her friend was it a Michael Kors handbag?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2016, 08:39:56 am »
So, I'm browsing Rawk offline ie not logged in, I then open up a youtube tab and the advert before the selection plays is for Capital FM...Liverpool has got a brand new radio station...
This seems to have been happening a bit too frequently of late to be dismissed as coincidence ...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2016, 09:31:35 am »
So, I'm browsing Rawk offline ie not logged in, I then open up a youtube tab and the advert before the selection plays is for Capital FM...Liverpool has got a brand new radio station...
This seems to have been happening a bit too frequently of late to be dismissed as coincidence ...

I imagine Google, who own YouTube, have well got you pegged as a Liverpool fan. Be it from previous search history, websites you've visited who use their analytics or Adsense platforms (which track you), or past videos viewed on YouTube.

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2016, 12:54:22 pm »

You do realise that you don't have to be logged in for RAWK to be in your browsing history, don't you?

Person visits Liverpool related website, person sees Liverpool related adverts, person thinks there's a massive conspiracy.

No mate, that's just how internet advertising works.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »
You do realise that you don't have to be logged in for RAWK to be in your browsing history, don't you?

Person visits Liverpool related website, person sees Liverpool related adverts, person thinks there's a massive conspiracy.

No mate, that's just how internet advertising works.

Yes, I'm well aware, I've been a computing professional for over 40 years now.

My browser history and assorted files and cookies are cleared down every time I close my browser, a practice I've always been very fastidious about since I first started using the WWW back in the early 90's.

The point I'm making is that I can open my browser (Firefox or IE), totally virgin and with no stored history, go to Rawk via a bookmark (not via a Google), open another tab and goto Youtube(not via a Google), search on Youtube for a tune or even use a saved url link and voila, Capitol FM advert. To my knowledge, Rawk doesn't employ tracking cookies so I'm simply intrigued as to how this is happening.

I've mentioned before that I'm well aware that Google have been collecting IP addresses against searches, quite possibly MAC addresses too, and I suspect they are starting to really mesh it all together with their records of historical searches they've been storing for many years now.

Incidentally, I'm not that bothered if they do, I certainly don't view it as a 'massive' conspiracy as you put it, simply as an observation, and if anything I'm surprised it's taken them this long to implement, it's what we do.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2016, 01:41:21 pm »
Your IP will have been associated a while ago with a profile of someone who visits Liverpool related content. I doubt it's just RAWK, you'll have no doubt have watched YouTube vids, visited Liverpool related sites which use the likes of Google Analytics, Adsense or Display Network or searched Google. So unless you wipe everything properly (inc. going to Google and wiping everything they have) this connection isn't going to disappear when you clear the cookies and open up a new browser.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2016, 01:52:17 pm »

Absolutely, it's nothing to do with local browsing history anymore, this is stuff that has likely been collected from many sources and for some time, even possibly from clicking on embedded links within Rawk.

I suspect Google and Amazon and Tescos now know more about individuals, their predilictions, their shopping patterns and such, than the Security services know.

It's all quite fascinating.

Best get working on those big data algorithms...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2016, 02:30:27 pm »
Where were they discussing it - over the phone? Within earshot of an android phone? In the matrix?

Both have Android phones and discussed it in person.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »
Isn't a designer handbag person but asked her friend was it a Michael Kors handbag?

'Isn't a designer handbag person' in terms of she wouldn't shop for them or have any desire to own one.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2016, 05:42:06 pm »
Both have Android phones and discussed it in person.

No chance it was picked up in that case, IMO.

The sheer amount of processing power it would take for an Android phone to consistently listen and determine the exact nature of what you're saying to the degree that they can then serve up relevant ads would be too much to go unnoticed. As would sending the recorded sound files to be processed elsewhere.

More than likely a coincidence.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2016, 07:47:28 pm »
'Isn't a designer handbag person' in terms of she wouldn't shop for them or have any desire to own one.

I think he means she knows enough to identify one. I wouldn't have a clue what one was, what the logo looks like etc.
There's a high chance she has looked at something online, maybe one of those crap articles or something, "look like this twat off the telly" type, or some other fashion type blog/facebook post.
Or she could just belong to a certain demographic that matches other people who like these bags, female, in the UK, certain age band. Which sounds like she does match a demographic if her friend has one.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2016, 01:27:29 am »
No chance it was picked up in that case, IMO.

The sheer amount of processing power it would take for an Android phone to consistently listen and determine the exact nature of what you're saying to the degree that they can then serve up relevant ads would be too much to go unnoticed. As would sending the recorded sound files to be processed elsewhere.

More than likely a coincidence.

How much processing power would it take?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2016, 08:24:12 am »
Not much at all. It's what they do.

Look at your phone's downloaded language recognition files - you don't even have to be connected at the time.

They're coming to take me away... or, it can be quite handy , really.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2016, 08:33:02 am »
Something strange happened last Sunday which reminded me of this thread. After a night drinking on Saturday, me and my gf woke up a bit hungover. We were saying that it must be dehydration or just the hangover. These are the only two words which we said in English as we don't really have a word for them in my language. A couple of hours later, I go on facebook and the first sponsored ad were vitamins to cure your "hangover" and your "dehydration". And no, I wasn't searching for vitamins or anything.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:41 am »
How much processing power would it take?

You're talking enough to constantly listen to multiple voices, then process those sounds to determine who is who, and the subject matter they are discussing, with no doubt some sort of context so correct ads could be served.

It would be more than enough to be noticeable, and there are people who actively look at those sorts of things (security researchers normally).

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2016, 08:47:27 am »
Something strange happened last Sunday which reminded me of this thread. After a night drinking on Saturday, me and my gf woke up a bit hungover. We were saying that it must be dehydration or just the hangover. These are the only two words which we said in English as we don't really have a word for them in my language. A couple of hours later, I go on facebook and the first sponsored ad were vitamins to cure your "hangover" and your "dehydration". And no, I wasn't searching for vitamins or anything.

Pretty standard day to advertise hangover (which is being dehydrated) related items on a Sunday.

I imagine you fall into a marketing group who is seen as likely to go out and drink, you've maybe even searched places to go out, specific bar names, maybe shopped for certain items, downloaded certain music, etc.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2016, 12:37:41 pm »
You can opt out from a great deal of targetted advertising by visiting the consumer choice pages here:

http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/
http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
http://youradchoices.ca/choices/

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2016, 06:43:36 pm »
I was sat watching my old CRT television last Christmas Evening wearing my tin foil hat, when an advert for Gaviscon came on the telly. How was this possible?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2016, 06:52:12 pm »
I was sat watching my old CRT television last Christmas Evening wearing my tin foil hat, when an advert for Gaviscon came on the telly. How was this possible?

I shat my keks after a session on the guiness, then whilst watching TV with my Sunday hangover an advert for pampers came on.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2016, 06:53:03 pm »

Was you talking shit at the time?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2016, 01:53:55 pm »
Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread but a lot of it is down to the internet of things. I'm pretty sure most modern devices have the ability to pick up on keywords you utter to try and build a customer profile and serve you with targeted adverts. I know Samsung TVs have the ability to listen to your everyday conversations and pass the data onto 3rd parties. Target the supermarket uses your credit card buying history to build consumer profiles to serve you with targeted online adverts. You can also go through your Google voice history on your phone and it picks up random bits of conversation.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2016, 04:30:50 pm »
Pretty standard day to advertise hangover (which is being dehydrated) related items on a Sunday.

I imagine you fall into a marketing group who is seen as likely to go out and drink, you've maybe even searched places to go out, specific bar names, maybe shopped for certain items, downloaded certain music, etc.

That is true, but I don't recall ever seeing that ad before. Maybe im just being paranoid.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2016, 04:59:39 pm »
Maybe im just being paranoid.
Yep, like everyone else who thinks they're being secretly listened to.