Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3422504 times)

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #33560 on: October 7, 2019, 04:43:49 pm »
;D

A diplomat by name...

Would you expect anything less?   8)
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33561 on: October 7, 2019, 05:01:39 pm »
That's interesting. I thought Pep sounded quite defeatist at the post match presser yesterday. They did close a 7 point gap last season, but maybe he feels they're pushing their luck hoping it will happen again. It's still so early doors though.

They've been performing at an amazing level for two seasons straight and last year got pushed to their last throw.  They've got injuries now and some players have moved on.  They can't be at that level forever.  It's a war of attrition against a team like that.
If we still have a decent lead when we play them then I reckon we'll do them, they'll have to try and win which will suit us, last season the game at Anfield came too soon, was the 8th game with us and them both level with them having better GD so it was always going to be a cagey affair, swap the home & away games around or play the home game late in the season and I reckon things would've turned out differently but my Auntie doesn't have a cock and all that so it is what it is ;D

Tis a bit like having a two goal lead on aggregate.  They have to play for the win - we could actually settle for a draw as long as we don't slip up elsewhere.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33562 on: October 7, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »
There is a lot in this. They have always identified as the downtrodden victims of the neighbours they despise. The supposed real club of Manchester. The plucky underdog United haters could get behind. The victims of the big bully next door.

Now a bigger bully (a tyrant, in fact) has come along and took them under his wing they simply don't know how to be anymore. They have become the bully they so despised, yet they still doing onto the victim mentality that was always their DNA. This is what we now see. A disgusting bully with a victim complex and no self-awareness. This lack of awareness allows them the supreme irony of calling other people victims whilst keeping a straight face.

They have become everything they professed to hate, but they are too stupid to see it.

Sooo.... Donald Trump...?

Blue Loon.

:wellin

Popcorn's Art

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33563 on: October 7, 2019, 05:14:48 pm »
Blue Loon.

:lmao

Brilliant

Blue Loon, the official "fan" forum of Abu Dhabi FC

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33564 on: October 7, 2019, 05:18:55 pm »
Anyone any idea why the scouting story surfaced 6yrs after the event?

Some of them reckon they only discovered the hacking due to the Der Spiegel stuff and the out of court, hush hush money was so there was no prying by the authorities.

No idea if the dates tally or why its suddenly come out or even why they think it should be investigated after a settlement was agreed other than to stop us in our tracks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #33565 on: October 7, 2019, 05:32:53 pm »
They've been performing at an amazing level for two seasons straight and last year got pushed to their last throw.  They've got injuries now and some players have moved on.  They can't be at that level forever.  It's a war of attrition against a team like that.

You said something similar but in more depth recently but I never got to reply to it. I did agree with you. I think they were incredible and set a ridiculously high bar, but a bar that was always going to be unsustainable. They were at their absolute peak and in the season they hit 100 points or so they had no genuine competition to contend with.

Last season they had stiff competition and only just scraped over the line by the odd point in 195. Despite being very good indeed, they also had their fair share of luck throughout the season, as all champions do. Some of that luck has left them up to now this season. Injuries are taking a toll, and psychology is coming into play. Imagine getting 98 points, being at your peak, yet still knowing you only scraped over the line by a point and your rival is still building and getting stronger. This is why we are rattling around in their heads and Cardiola and the fanbase are losing it in October.

They had to bust a gut to get there last season. Right at the top of their game and their luck. We pushed them to their limits, and they know it.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2019, 05:34:45 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33566 on: October 7, 2019, 05:44:15 pm »

Some of them reckon they only discovered the hacking due to the Der Spiegel stuff and the out of court, hush hush money was so there was no prying by the authorities.

No idea if the dates tally or why its suddenly come out or even why they think it should be investigated after a settlement was agreed other than to stop us in our tracks.

If they only discovered it after those leaks, what exactly did the accept the settlement for when we paid them in September 2013?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #33567 on: October 7, 2019, 06:00:58 pm »
There is a lot in this. They have always identified as the downtrodden victims of the neighbours they despise. The supposed real club of Manchester. The plucky underdog United haters could get behind. The victims of the big bully next door.

Now a bigger bully (a tyrant, in fact) has come along and took them under his wing they simply don't know how to be anymore. They have become the bully they so despised, yet they still doing onto the victim mentality that was always their DNA. This is what we now see. A disgusting bully with a victim complex and no self-awareness. This lack of awareness allows them the supreme irony of calling other people victims whilst keeping a straight face.

They have become everything they professed to hate, but they are too stupid to see it.

Normally the leading clubs in a league are entrenched, like Barca and Real or Rangers and Celtic etc.

The big 3 in England have long been Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal in terms of support and success (followed by Ev and Villa). That's only changed in the alst 10-15 years with Chelsea and Man City's oil money. Chelsea though have always been a brash club and the loadsamoney identity fit like a glove from the start with those Tory loving twats.

City's identity was as a laughing stock going back 30 years and the unlucky losers who were the self proclaimed soul of Manchester while United became the global behemoth. Success doesn't suit them.

They enjoyed the Aguero moment and all the trophies but actually being a top club they can't handle. They'd be better off back in League One with Sunderland than being something they're not. They wouldn't be so bitter and angry despite winning everything.

« Last Edit: October 7, 2019, 06:20:18 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #33568 on: October 7, 2019, 06:07:21 pm »
Compared to most sides, I would agree, but not when compared to their normal performances. They had a few decent chances, but Wolves had the better chances throughout the course of the match. Depending on the model you look at, Wolves bettered them in expected goals, too (1.3 - 2.0 in Wolves' favor according to the Statsbomb data on fbref).

The lack of defenders is clearly a problem and it feels like City are more similar to their 16/17 side than their teams the two previous years. Laporte could very well come back at the beginning of 2020 and sort out their backline, but hopefully the damage will have been done by then.
Ah thanks - highlights chose to ignore the Wolves chances then

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33569 on: October 7, 2019, 06:09:56 pm »

Normally the leading clubs in a league are entrenched, like Barca and Real or Rangers and Celtic etc.

The big 3 in England have long been Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal in terms of support and success. That's only changed in the alst 10-15 years with Chelsea and Man City's oil money. Chelsea though have always been a brash club and the loadsamoney identity fit like a glove from the start with those Tory loving twats.

City's identity was as a laughing stock going back 30 years and the unlucky losers who were the self proclaimed soul of Manchester while United became the global behemoth. Success doesn't suit them.

They enjoyed the Aguero moment and all the trophies but actually being a top club they can't handle. They'd be better off back in League One with Sunderland than being something they're not. They wouldn't be so bitter and angry despite winning everything.
Yep, not only does success not suit them, they also have no clue about how to deal with it. They truly are just like the lottery winner who has come from nothing and has no idea how to cope with the new life thrust upon him. Basically, he acts like a twat until he blows it all.

Those who are established and have class just see him for the crass, uneducated buffoon he is. He may initially have a big house and flash car, but he gains no respect from anyone at all.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33570 on: October 7, 2019, 06:22:29 pm »
You said something similar but in more depth recently but I never got to reply to it. I did agree with you. I think they were incredible and set a ridiculously high bar, but a bar that was always going to be unsustainable. They were at their absolute peak and in the season they hit 100 points or so they had no genuine competition to contend with.

Last season they had stiff competition and only just scraped over the line by the odd point in 195. Despite being very good indeed, they also had their fair share of luck throughout the season, as all champions do. Some of that luck has left them up to now this season. Injuries are taking a toll, and psychology is coming into play. Imagine getting 98 points, being at your peak, yet still knowing you only scraped over the line by a point and your rival is still building and getting stronger. This is why we are rattling around in their heads and Cardiola and the fanbase are losing it in October.

They had to bust a gut to get there last season. Right at the top of their game and their luck. We pushed them to their limits, and they know it.

Yeah.  They key to beating a team like City is being strong over several seasons.  You just have to try and match them blow for blow.  That's nigh on impossible - unless you have a coach like Klopp.

That said, we know they'll bounce back, and that we can take nothing for granted.  But like finishing second against Real Madrid, we bounced back the following year.  We can do that in the league as well because Klopp learns from his mistakes and doesn't look to spend his way out of trouble.  The psychology of our team is very different to City's.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33571 on: October 7, 2019, 06:29:13 pm »
The thing is, it’s so insane it’s actually funny. It feels like no one older that 16 posts there.

I doubt they have many followers over 16
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #33572 on: October 7, 2019, 08:22:22 pm »
Another thing Wolves have copied..don't mind seeing it on this occasion tho..

https://twitter.com/i/status/1181203224180789248
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33573 on: October 7, 2019, 08:23:17 pm »
Yep, not only does success not suit them, they also have no clue about how to deal with it. They truly are just like the lottery winner who has come from nothing and has no idea how to cope with the new life thrust upon him. Basically, he acts like a twat until he blows it all.

Those who are established and have class just see him for the crass, uneducated buffoon he is. He may initially have a big house and flash car, but he gains no respect from anyone at all.
yeah, chelsea were consistently good for a while before abramovich so not a huge shift for them

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33574 on: October 7, 2019, 08:57:14 pm »
yeah, chelsea were consistently good for a while before abramovich so not a huge shift for them

They were up to the bollocks in debt though, no way they'd have been able to keep it up if Abramovich hadn't come along

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33575 on: October 7, 2019, 09:27:22 pm »
Only 13 days to go to our trip to Old Trafford.   Already getting butterflies.  Never feel that way about City even when I set off to Manc on match day.  Beating United means so much even though they are shite.  Historic rivalry based on mutual respect on the one hand and mutual hatred on the other.  Something City long for but will never achieve.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33576 on: October 7, 2019, 09:53:02 pm »
They were up to the bollocks in debt though, no way they'd have been able to keep it up if Abramovich hadn't come along
true but they had some success, cup winners cup, some domestic honours and a CL QF which they came close to winning

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #33577 on: October 7, 2019, 11:39:34 pm »
And the conspiracy stuff is absolutely wild. Refs blocking off their passes, at least 5 goalies taking bungs (including Pickford), VAR being invented just to help Liverpool win the league... it's insane stuff.
Someone should do a PhD on it and try and figure out what the fuck is wrong with them. They'd make an interesting case study.
They support a football team that is corrupt to the core. Of course, the only thing they can think of when they are behind is that the other team that is in front of them is even more corrupt.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33578 on: October 7, 2019, 11:47:10 pm »
They support a football team that is corrupt to the core. Of course, the only thing they can think of when they are behind is that the other team that is in front of them is even more corrupt.
To be fair to them, it's quite a logical stream of thinking.

They know full well that they are only where they are due to cheating the game. They couldn't manage it otherwise. So it's natural for them to assume that anyone who surpasses them must also be cheating too.

If I'm a top athlete blitzing the competition whilst popping steroids, then a competitor flies past me, my first thought is that he's on the juice too, only better juice.

Abu Dhabi are cheats, so they think anyone who gets the better of them are also cheats.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33579 on: October 8, 2019, 10:32:13 am »
To be fair to them, it's quite a logical stream of thinking.

They know full well that they are only where they are due to cheating the game. They couldn't manage it otherwise. So it's natural for them to assume that anyone who surpasses them must also be cheating too.

If I'm a top athlete blitzing the competition whilst popping steroids, then a competitor flies past me, my first thought is that he's on the juice too, only better juice.

Abu Dhabi are cheats, so they think anyone who gets the better of them are also cheats.

It must really really hurt them to see what we have done with a combination of a very well run club, great management on all levels and great business in the transfer market without spending a gazillion quid. I think its a case of they want to be successful of course, but they can't get their heads around the fact that we are doing it the right way and that hurts them badly, especially the older fans. We're everything they want to be really, and they lash out at us. It will destroy some of them if we went on to win the league.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33580 on: October 8, 2019, 03:15:50 pm »
That [above] is drifting towards a kind of mental illness that gets some people sectioned. Honestly!! Snipers on the roof looking to take them out if they go and post a letter...etc. Do these people never engage in any serious introspection and take stock of themselves?

That forum sounds like it's populated by people using the 'computer room' in an institution.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33581 on: October 9, 2019, 12:58:14 pm »
Yeah.  They key to beating a team like City is being strong over several seasons.  You just have to try and match them blow for blow.  That's nigh on impossible - unless you have a coach like Klopp.

That said, we know they'll bounce back, and that we can take nothing for granted.  But like finishing second against Real Madrid, we bounced back the following year.  We can do that in the league as well because Klopp learns from his mistakes and doesn't look to spend his way out of trouble.  The psychology of our team is very different to City's.

I know what you are saying but I was talking to a young Liverpool fan at work during the summer and told him that Kompany would be a big miss for them and it shouldn't be under estimated, just look at the impact Van Dijk, as single player, has had for us. He dismissed it and thinks City could just spend their way out of the problem and recover, well maybe but we all know a high transfer fee does not always guarantee you've made a good signing. Even if the signings are sound, it takes varying degrees of time to bed in the new players and for the team and player to adjust to each other. There was an interesting piece of analysis by Keown on Sunday where he highlighted two of their players Mahrez and Otamendi I think it was, being only slightly out of position during a City move, resulting in Wolves being able to counter and play into massive gaps after a turnover. These sorts of patterns are practised relentlessly by the top teams meaning positions and passes almost become instinctive by the players. Liverpool have a settled side and haven't had to bed in many new players during the last eighteen months, these sorts of patterns of play have become second nature.

The other thing I don't get with that younger fan is his negativity that Liverpool cannot catch them up an it is inevitable that City will win the league. Perhaps it is because he's never seen Liverpool win it and the club has had a lot of false dawn's, but its quite clear to me that Klopp has created a special team, even compared to the great sides I've seen and he's also a proven winner as an underdog against much stronger clubs. So I also pointed out to him that Guardiola is at the point of having to build a new team - has he ever done that before? Has he ever built a team from scratch? Key players such as Kompany (gone), Aguero, D. Silva, Fernandinho, possibly Otamendi will need replacing in the near future - the spine of a team. It's doable as they have unlimited financial resources but difficult to keep continuity and there are likely to be some bumps in the road. Take that Laporte injury, they are now playing Fernandinho there and he'll do a good job but will be missed in midfield which suggests they don't have a ready made replacement in there.

I notice that referees seem to be on to them about their tactical fowling now and they received a few bookings for it on Sunday. I first came across this side of the game watching the Arsenal so called 'invincibles' side and when I pointed it out to people they thought it was ridiculous to criticise such a great footballing side and it is difficult to spot a side doing this when they dominate possession, thankfully this has been highlighted in City's game by Arteta in their documentary and other opposing managers. Finally we might see more referees picking up on it. I was reading this article about 'tactical fowling' and whilst I don't think they've used the correct stat for City - they should have used fouls per opposition passes, there was an interesting quote in the article.

One aspect to keep an eye on, though: Manchester City averaged 8.63 fouls a game last term, but with 27 fouls conceded after two games this season (only Sheffield United have more), that average is currently 13.5 per game, compared to Liverpool's 7.5.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49371002

This suggests to me that players are possibly finding themselves out of position, as discussed above, meaning that passes are miss placed and/or players are having to make increasingly more desperate tackles/fouls. Opposition teams are probably adjusting tactics too, e.g. to stop that daft pull back goal that they keep scoring every week. Either way that stat points to a problem there.

I said last season that beating City to the title will come down to the head-to-heads against them rather than goal difference and that is now the first tie breaker for the league. For me the important thing is not to get beat in those games, last season we didn't play that well at home and were lucky that they missed the penalty but we were unlucky that Fernandinho didn't get sent off. At the Emptihad we played quite well and were again unlucky with the Kompany fowl and offside goal but in reality it could have gone either way. I wonder whether we should have tried to stick at 1-1, be interesting to see if Klopp has us playing cagey or going all out attack like we seem to still do in the Champions league.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1262217   
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33582 on: October 9, 2019, 01:33:00 pm »

Sure they claim that the Der Spiegel stuff is a load of nonsense when it is in regards to their financial doping. Can't have it both ways.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33583 on: October 9, 2019, 01:45:01 pm »
One aspect to keep an eye on, though: Manchester City averaged 8.63 fouls a game last term, but with 27 fouls conceded after two games this season (only Sheffield United have more), that average is currently 13.5 per game, compared to Liverpool's 7.5.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49371002

This suggests to me that players are possibly finding themselves out of position, as discussed above, meaning that passes are miss placed and/or players are having to make increasingly more desperate tackles/fouls. Opposition teams are probably adjusting tactics too, e.g. to stop that daft pull back goal that they keep scoring every week. Either way that stat points to a problem there.

I said last season that beating City to the title will come down to the head-to-heads against them rather than goal difference and that is now the first tie breaker for the league. For me the important thing is not to get beat in those games, last season we didn't play that well at home and were lucky that they missed the penalty but we were unlucky that Fernandinho didn't get sent off. At the Emptihad we played quite well and were again unlucky with the Kompany fowl and offside goal but in reality it could have gone either way. I wonder whether we should have tried to stick at 1-1, be interesting to see if Klopp has us playing cagey or going all out attack like we seem to still do in the Champions league.

Pep's football is founded on effective tactical fouling (and ideally the ability to do that without play even being stopped). Fernandinho and Busquets and Mascherano have been masters of that art for his sides, but when they're not in the right spot on the park (like when they're ageing or filling in for an injured centre half with a diddy alongside them), and when people like Gary Neville start to draw attention to what they've been doing in that area when they've otherwise turned a blind eye (Fernandinho's elbow on Kane in the CL Q/F last year type stuff), then their foundation gets shaky.

I'm looking forward to this statsbomb article on their XG per chance conceded this season.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33584 on: October 9, 2019, 01:46:18 pm »
Aaaaah, right on cue.
https://statsbomb.com/2019/10/whats-up-with-manchester-city/

(Quite chuffed that the stats say what I just said just then.)
« Last Edit: October 9, 2019, 02:02:37 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33585 on: October 9, 2019, 02:42:01 pm »
Silva has been given an extension until 21st October to respond to the FA charge.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33586 on: October 9, 2019, 02:45:40 pm »
Silva has been given an extension until 21st October to respond to the FA charge.

What's the extension for? Was the original deadline for posting a video response online?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33587 on: October 9, 2019, 02:52:31 pm »

It's actually not, it's the last tie breaker. They've just phrased it terribly in that article

"A very minor change - and one that has never been needed - sees the Premier League factor in head-to-head results to separate teams level on points, goal difference and goals scored."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49254099

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33588 on: October 9, 2019, 02:55:00 pm »
"tactical fowling" :D

Is this like a sparrow that knows to poke the eyes of its predator and then runs away?

(great post by Yosser overall)

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33589 on: October 9, 2019, 02:55:27 pm »
What's the extension for? Was the original deadline for posting a video response online?

He possibly got an extension due to being away on international duty.

City come to Anfield 4 games after 21st October. If they find him guilty there's a very good chance he misses that game.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33590 on: October 9, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »

City come to Anfield 4 games after 21st October. If they find him guilty there's a very good chance he misses that game.

In that case my money would be on being found guilty and getting the six game standard ban, with three games suspended ;)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33591 on: October 9, 2019, 03:03:26 pm »
Pep seems to play cagey against us.  Depending on where both clubs are at when they meet, that might not be a realistic option for him this time around, especially at home.  So, would it be okay for Liverpool to sit back, let them blow themselves out, and look to hit them on the break?

If they're lunging in with desperate fouls I wouldn't want to see our boys get injured needlessly, but you can't let them play keep ball either.  It's not like allowing Spurs to win the possession game in the CL final - City might actually manage to do something with it if we let them have it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33592 on: October 9, 2019, 03:45:29 pm »

More likely so they have more time to come to a suitable financial package to let him off with it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33593 on: October 9, 2019, 04:25:18 pm »

He's had a week.  How long does it take to write back and say "What? Me, guv?" or "It's a fair cop"?

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33594 on: October 9, 2019, 04:25:42 pm »
Pep seems to play cagey against us.  Depending on where both clubs are at when they meet, that might not be a realistic option for him this time around, especially at home.  So, would it be okay for Liverpool to sit back, let them blow themselves out, and look to hit them on the break?

If they're lunging in with desperate fouls I wouldn't want to see our boys get injured needlessly, but you can't let them play keep ball either.  It's not like allowing Spurs to win the possession game in the CL final - City might actually manage to do something with it if we let them have it.

Attack is the best form of defence against City. Not saying all-out attack, but they have too many options in their attack that we can afford to sit back. Let them worry about their less than ideal backline coming under pressure.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #33595 on: October 9, 2019, 04:25:44 pm »
"tactical fowling" :D

Is this like a sparrow that knows to poke the eyes of its predator and then runs away?

(great post by Yosser overall)

Would think it would fly away... What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33596 on: October 9, 2019, 04:33:11 pm »

Sit back when we can be putting Otamendi and Fernandinho against our front 3? Not for me clive.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33597 on: October 9, 2019, 06:18:03 pm »
Apparently Man City tried this fan identification scheme but couldn't find any fans.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #33598 on: October 9, 2019, 07:46:45 pm »
Aaaaah, right on cue.
https://statsbomb.com/2019/10/whats-up-with-manchester-city/

(Quite chuffed that the stats say what I just said just then.)

I think for the most part, City are City and they will still clock 90+ points without breaking much of a sweat. The xG/shot stat is almost meaningless at this stage of the season. Way too small of a sample.

I will say though that even though their attack is still purring, at some point they are going to miss Sane. He just brings a dynamic dimension that no one apart from possibly Sterling can give them.

Also, like the article says, Gundagon is giving them nothing. I've always felt less threatened by City with him in the lineup. It they keep him in the double pivot and LaPorte doesn't come back any time soon, then I might entertain the notion they will take a real step back.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33599 on: October 9, 2019, 07:53:30 pm »
They basically don't respond well to adversity if they have a setback. Most of the time they score a couple of early goals and put games to bed. If they go behind though, it's very rare they come back to win. I bet it's hardly happened at all under Pep, especially in the past two seasons.