Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446556 times)

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #2880 on: August 12, 2018, 10:55:59 pm »
@bet365: Since making his Liverpool debut, no player has kept more clean sheets in the Premier League than Virgil van Dijk.

The Reds haven't conceded a league goal at Anfield since February.

What a clossus- just looks so calm and composed when dealing with any potential issues. He is bigger, quicker, stronger and more intelligent than anyone he has faced- how do you beat him?

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2881 on: August 12, 2018, 11:28:58 pm »
He is, no question about it.

He's the best in the PL.

I'd go further and say he can establish himself as the best in Europe very soon. He's what you'd get if you were to create a CB in a machine.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2882 on: August 13, 2018, 02:28:24 am »
By the way that moment he shrugged off Antonio in the first half was amazing. Antonio is the definition of physicality, tall and broad and has made a career of physically and athletically dominating people down the right. Virgil barely flicked his hips.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #2883 on: August 13, 2018, 03:45:07 am »
I genuinely think this lad is one of the best center halves in the world. There isn't a single phase of the game that he lacks in. If we can get him a partner that doesn't need constant cover and assistance the rest of the world will catch on to how fantastic he is. He is the type of player that can singlehandedly transform a defense. He reads the game so, so well.

Leave apart weird reputations which build up for no reason, the best defenders in the world for me are:

Umtiti, Varane, VVD, Chiellini and Godin.

VVD is comfortably the best CB in the league.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2884 on: August 13, 2018, 05:20:30 am »
Da Man

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2885 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:13 am »
Brilliant start. True leader and footballer.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2886 on: August 13, 2018, 08:59:56 am »
It's funny just how easy he makes everything look.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2887 on: August 13, 2018, 09:17:25 am »
When he told Mane to stop the fucking cross.  ;D
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #2888 on: August 13, 2018, 02:00:06 pm »
I'm not big on the importance of armband but in this case it's so obvious the benefit of having this colossus and real leader of men leading us out on the pitch. We should consider any little gain this season fighting against team that wins 100 pts like it's nothing.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2889 on: August 13, 2018, 02:08:14 pm »
I know the usual names that roll off peoples lips when you think of the best players in the league to watch , but there isnt a player I enjoy watching more than Van Dijk in the premier league,

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2890 on: August 13, 2018, 02:33:38 pm »
Leave apart weird reputations which build up for no reason, the best defenders in the world for me are:

You're forgetting Harry Maguire and John Stones
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2891 on: August 13, 2018, 02:53:45 pm »
You're forgetting Harry Maguire and John Stones

Ah jaysus talking about Harry Maguire.  One of them shows on the radio last night talking European football, about PSG.  Saying they signed some CB , cant remember the name, and describing him they said "he brings the ball out of defense Harry Magure-esq"  I nearly pissed myself, as if Harry Maguire is suddenly the barometer for that style of defender.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2892 on: August 13, 2018, 05:33:46 pm »
When he told Mane to stop the fucking cross.  ;D

To be honest, it's these moments of leadership that direct accountability onto a teammate that I tend to enjoy most (after goals scored!).
I wish Klopp would do away with captains-due-to-time-at-club and pick Van Dijk as our 3rd captain.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2893 on: August 13, 2018, 05:53:42 pm »
Ah jaysus talking about Harry Maguire.  One of them shows on the radio last night talking European football, about PSG.  Saying they signed some CB , cant remember the name, and describing him they said "he brings the ball out of defense Harry Magure-esq"  I nearly pissed myself, as if Harry Maguire is suddenly the barometer for that style of defender.

To be fair he was talking about an old timey steamroller at the time
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #2894 on: August 13, 2018, 06:08:23 pm »

Ramos has surely got to be in there too. He's a nob but also a great defender

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2895 on: August 13, 2018, 06:15:27 pm »
Ramos has surely got to be in there too. He's a nob but also a great defender

Agree, I'd have Ramos instead of Umtiti in that list.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2896 on: August 17, 2018, 12:19:14 pm »
For a team who overpaid for John Stones, Kyle Walker and almost everyone else ... You expect people to believe you that you balked at Van Dijk price? Just be honest ... Van Dijk only had eyes for Liverpool and there are players that can’t be bought just by money.

Virgil is special
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2897 on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:52 pm »
Got collared by some utterly moronic Chelsea fan in the office discussing our chances this season. His first line:

Him: 'You've still got a weakness in defence"
Me: "I can understand people have reservations about Lovren, he's still probably got a brain fart in him, but since Van Dijk's come in, he's looked a different player, I've no problem with him now"
Him "Maybe, but I still think you need to upgrade on Van Dijk, he makes so many mistakes"

I thought he was joking, but apparently not!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2898 on: August 17, 2018, 12:58:50 pm »
Got collared by some utterly moronic Chelsea fan in the office discussing our chances this season. His first line:

Me: "I can understand people have reservations about Lovren, he's still probably got a brain fart in him, but since Van Dijk's come in, he's looked a different player, I've no problem with him now"
Him "Maybe, but I still think you need to upgrade on Van Dijk, he makes so many mistakes"

The average football fan is a fucking moron these days

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2899 on: August 17, 2018, 01:10:45 pm »
Such a brilliant player and defender. Be interesting to see how he does this season.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline Ben87

• Main Stander
« Reply #2900 on: August 17, 2018, 01:12:36 pm »

A player that Chelsea were interested in and would walk into their team...

Offline Ben87

• Main Stander
« Reply #2901 on: August 17, 2018, 02:25:39 pm »

Also just seen no one has more clean sheets that him since his debut for us...but he makes so many mistakes?!

Easily the best CB in the league!

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2902 on: August 17, 2018, 07:38:40 pm »

Yep- that's the perception among my circles as well- even 1 or 2 LFC supporters! Van Dijk and Clyne are "error prone" and Ox is midtable/championship material according to them.
Doesn't matter what evidence/stats you provide- they're thorough Sky controlled muppets. These are the sort who think Jenas is a sage.

And yeah- I already ditched those LFC "supporters" as friends. Can't afford to have friends with half a brain around me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:44:28 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2903 on: August 17, 2018, 08:05:52 pm »
Yep- that's the perception among my circles as well- even 1 or 2 LFC supporters! Van Dijk and Clyne are "error prone" and Ox is midtable/championship material according to them.
Doesn't matter what evidence/stats you provide- they're thorough Sky controlled muppets. These are the sort who think Jenas is a sage.

And yeah- I already ditched those LFC "supporters" as friends. Can't afford to have friends with half a brain around me.

ha ha ha ha.. Two of our most reliable defenders, and the one midfielder who had elite penetration stats last season.

I've got a few of LFC supporting friends (more of whatsapp group mates), who have had some crazy opinions (including Ribery was always average, we should've sold Lallana after 2015-16, giving dogs abuse at Lovren, Gini & Hendo, & so on), and I've been out of such groups now. But it gets worse if you join common groups with all of PL fanbase, it's even more of a madhouse (almost like Evertonomics and Jelavic is better than Suarez level).

It's just not worth it. If someone's a bit off the mark, you can begin explaining them. If they're watching a whole different sport in a whole different planet, you can't even begin with anything,

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2904 on: August 17, 2018, 09:15:46 pm »

he would walk to any team.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2905 on: August 18, 2018, 01:08:53 pm »
Also just seen no one has more clean sheets that him since his debut for us...but he makes so many mistakes?!

Easily the best CB in the league!
To be fair, there are quite a few mistakes he still makes since joining us. He still puts the milk in before the tea. He uses his right hand to open the car door rather than lean across with his left with the dutch mentality to be aware of cyclists.  He's put coloureds in with the whites .  Oh and he's forgotten that in England you can't be a great centre back unless you make last ditch going to ground tackles for the telly.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2906 on: August 18, 2018, 01:14:35 pm »
To be fair, there are quite a few mistakes he still makes since joining us. He still puts the milk in before the tea. He uses his right hand to open the car door rather than lean across with his left with the dutch mentality to be aware of cyclists.  He's put coloureds in with the whites .  Oh and he's forgotten that in England you can't be a great centre back unless you make last ditch going to ground tackles for the telly.

As Klopp said, "In England, good defending is clearing a ball off the line"
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2907 on: August 18, 2018, 01:22:36 pm »

VVB on VVD
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2908 on: August 18, 2018, 01:35:08 pm »
People seem to have really got hung up on mistakes in football in general in the last few years when talking about defending - I think Sky’s and MOTD’s emphasis on it in an attempt to analyze are largely to blame
Don’t think there’s ever been such a thing as a mistake free keeper or centre back

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2909 on: August 18, 2018, 01:35:41 pm »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2910 on: August 18, 2018, 01:59:38 pm »
Don’t think there’s ever been such a thing as a mistake free keeper or centre back

Of course there isn't , but players that are constantly making mistakes aren't going to cut it at the top level.
What's most annoying for me is when the analyst highlights a mistake a player made without seeing the decision made in the wider context of the game\ what's happening on the pitch.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Ben87

• Main Stander
« Reply #2911 on: August 18, 2018, 02:52:52 pm »

True, the pundits would rather credit someone who makes a last ditch tackle rather than someone who stops it getting to that point

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2912 on: August 18, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
People seem to have really got hung up on mistakes in football in general in the last few years when talking about defending - I think Sky’s and MOTD’s emphasis on it in an attempt to analyze are largely to blame

The game is about who makes less mistakes. Every side makes mistakes, every player does, but you are right, the over analyzing  is what makes everyone think they're an expert. Over course of the season, 50 some games, a player makes lets say 5 mistakes, and that's reason to call him mistake prone?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2913 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:29 pm »
World class

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2914 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:46 pm »
Fucking immense

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2915 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:57 pm »
The best centre back on the planet. Has absolutely every single attribute you'd want.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2916 on: August 20, 2018, 09:53:54 pm »
Good God he butchered Benteke tonight.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2917 on: August 20, 2018, 09:53:56 pm »
What we haven't had since Sami, absolutely fantastic, such a presence in the air.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #2918 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:15 pm »
Fucking unit
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic