Author Topic: Flag Making Explained.  (Read 118668 times)

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
Re: Flag Making Explained.
« Reply #40 on: April 2, 2005, 11:38:29 am »
Cheers Roper. Looking forward to getting that so that I can get underway. Won't be ready till next season though.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 6, 2005, 02:11:50 pm »
Roper

Earlier in this thread you said you have some stencils for the letters you are willing to share.

Any chance of your letter stencils please.  I am picking up my fabric tonight to start on my Turin banner. Its gonna be a corker!! (i think so anyway!)

Ta

Pete.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 6, 2005, 02:16:11 pm »
No worries Pete -

Email me on andyroper@gmail.com mate and ill get them to yer. :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 6, 2005, 02:26:40 pm »
Cheers Fella

Email sent.

Offline knighty

• Kemlynite
  • european capital of football
« Reply #44 on: May 2, 2005, 12:56:56 pm »
roper,

could u send me the stencils please cos i'm desparately tryin to get a flag/banner done for tomorrow,

cheers, ian

ianisascouse@hotmail.com

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 2, 2005, 03:26:18 pm »
roper,

could u send me the stencils please cos i'm desparately tryin to get a flag/banner done for tomorrow,

cheers, ian

ianisascouse@hotmail.com

Email sent mate. :wave

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 2, 2005, 06:09:52 pm »
just been reading through this thread, and although I've never made a banner meself, I have done some other bits and pieces like wallpapers etc and I've got an Illustrator file of the LiverBird that I made awhile back, I can whack it up on my website if anyone wants the original, (it can be taken to any size cos it's a vector image), here's a small copy of it

if anyone wants the file or a bigger jpeg, jus' let me know :)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 5, 2005, 04:33:57 pm »
Back up for 'anfield-reds' who was strugglin to find it.

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
  • We're only in it for the money
« Reply #48 on: May 5, 2005, 11:26:19 pm »
cheers mate :wave

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2005, 11:20:10 pm »
Bump
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline Miami

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Stencils for flags
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2005, 12:58:57 pm »
After stencils of the Liver Bird, European Cup and the Justice Flame if anyone can help

Thanks.

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2005, 04:54:50 am »
Bumped for a mate!
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2005, 04:22:52 pm »
Just done a fabric paint job, but to be honest looks great, but also looks like it will crack when i fold it away for the match. :( hope not, but will soon find out next Wednesday
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline ic843

• Choose Everton
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cally's heroes
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2005, 09:43:12 pm »
thanks for that mate, if i can think of something good il try and get one in time for The Bul, who needs Alevels anyway?
Does anyone know if theyll have stupid rules over there bout height,material (eg fire thing) etc,
tanks David
Taylor Report 278 ""It is fair to say that over many years the South Yorkshire Police have given excellent service to the public...Unforunately, their policing on April 15 broke down in the ways described, and although there were other causes, the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control."
BOYCOTT THE S*N

Offline SKITTLE

• Legacy Fan
  • One of the "older" brigade.
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2005, 04:22:04 am »
Just done a fabric paint job, but to be honest looks great, but also looks like it will crack when i fold it away for the match. :( hope not, but will soon find out next Wednesday

I did mine with fabric paint [ a couple of coats ] and it wears very well and no cracking.It is on heavy.....ish almost canvas like material though.
Been there,done that,getting older,bordering on part timer status. So sad but that's life.

Offline BehindTheScene

• Main Stander
  • ....with a shotgun on my knee
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2005, 07:18:58 am »
great explanations. thanks!
Living in Dubai I won't have any problems finding a tailor to do this for me, for about 1£! See you in Istanbul !
Like it I like it I like it ,  Rockin all over the world!

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2005, 09:11:35 am »
Finally finished it, was going to do a quote and mention the Spanish Armada in the end decided on one that you can take forever (well me lad can)

Full cost
£5 for a very large piece of material by TJ Hughes
£4.50 for 3 bottles of fabric paint from Partners, didn't use nothing of the black and yellow really
£1.50 masking tape
£1 set of brushes from Taylors by TJ Hughes

£2 for the bird who works in the laundry dept who is doing the sewing :)

£0 for all the letters and Flame, Liverbird. Used A4 paper from PC

And thanks to Mr Roper for sending us the templates, now after all that, most probably lose it in Turkey

£14 not to bad when my
 dickhead brother in laws have just paid £400 for a banner for there European adventure which hopefully last 2 games, all it has on it is

EVERTON

CREST

THE    SPRINGFIELD  BLUES

:wanker

Liverbird taped off, then the bird filled in with the paint, then the finished liverbird which looks sound and finally the finished banner itself, the bird and the flame were the tricky parts to tape around, but it is worth it in the end.

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2005, 11:14:35 am »
Quick note if using fabric paint.  Mix it with stuff called fabric medium, its like a paint and will be with the fabric paint you buy.  It makes the paint a bit plasticy and bond to the material when you iron it, thus a non cracking or flaking picture ;) ;)

Also use a overhead projector or computer projectors to make images bigger and draw round if you can borrow one from work/school or a mate it makes life easier.  Just painted a four foot liverbird last night that I drew this way at the weekend.  Piece of piss and looks great.

Offline clash city rocker

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2005, 11:54:01 am »
don't listen to bez! I did most of the donkey work and he sticks his tongue out when he's painting difficult bits!!! :P

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2005, 12:09:40 pm »
To late for that stuff to mix in now, looks like it will flake to fuck, nevermind, will have to do another one for the next Euro away

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2005, 12:46:06 pm »
don't listen to bez! I did most of the donkey work and he sticks his tongue out when he's painting difficult bits!!! :P

Fuck off I spent 5hours colouring in your Carra last night!!!

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2005, 05:24:35 pm »
Just a couple of quick questions as im a bit confused, How do you get the right stencil measurments and how do you get the exact shape?
And how do you go about getting a picture on a flag as in this one, ive really got no idea, Thanks
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2005, 08:27:13 pm »
Anyone have any idea?  :-\
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2005, 09:58:35 pm »
Someone must know? Going to start as soon as I find out

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2005, 10:16:44 pm »
What is it you are doing exactly on the flag mate?
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2005, 10:18:19 pm »
A Luis garcia pic, theres an example a few posts up but if thats to difficult ill just do his face  :)
Cheers for replying

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2005, 10:22:33 pm »
Ok well first off mate - i wouldnt use photography. I did something for roper a while back for carra, which was i simply stylised his face by taking the dark areas of his face and drawing them on computer. I then blew it up and printed it out in pieces and then sellotaped those pieces together.

I then cut out the dark shapes with a craft knife and drew inside the stencils on material provided by roper, a waxy material that was to be sown on. I then filled in the dark areas again with a marker pen suited to material drawing.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2005, 10:26:52 pm »
Cheers mate.

Was this for the 23 Carra Gold flag?
I understand the 1st part i think but im a bit lost on what you are saying on part 2, im really new to this banner making so im a bit lost
Thanks  :)

Offline Beef

• Jerky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2005, 10:27:28 pm »
Brilliant information there for making a flag. :wave

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2005, 10:34:10 pm »
Cheers mate.

Was this for the 23 Carra Gold flag?
I understand the 1st part i think but im a bit lost on what you are saying on part 2, im really new to this banner making so im a bit lost
Thanks  :)

yeah the 23 Carra Gold flag.

Can you draw on a computer? Say using Adobe Illustrator?

Once you have sellotaped all your printed pieces together to make the whole picture (because of the size usually you have to print the picture out in pieces so you can have bigger than A3 size) You then cut out the dark areas of the printout and that makes you a massive stencil

Then you secure that over the piece of cloth or material to keep it from moving (masking tape works well) and draw inside the cutout stencil shapes onto the material. When you finish take off the stencil and you will have a lined drawing of your stencil picture on the cloth. You then fill in those stencil shapes with paint or pen.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2005, 10:36:20 pm »
If you are struggling in regards to doing his face stylised on computer i can help you out but probably not until next week as im chocka busy in work and running my (dont laugh) doctor who website which i illustrate for.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2005, 10:41:39 pm »
Thanks a million mate i really appreciate the help and am going to try and get started on it asap. And if i fuck up i have the whole summer to re-do
I dont fully understand all of what you said but i get the idea and will have people helping me so they might understand more.
Thanks a million  :wave

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2005, 10:55:49 pm »
if you get stuck when you are doing it just PM me

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2005, 08:05:04 am »
Big believer in "doing yer own" but for more intricate designs, sometimes it's best approaching a professional.
For a price at least.

Letters
There is an Iron on Material for curtains the width and thickness of Lateral Blinds.
This is great for ensuring all letters are the same size.
Handy cos you can iron on first the machine sew on afterwards when letters are in place..
Remember if using material with adhesive side to cut letters out back to front.
Letter thickness
Found using a Ruler width, the best method.
Also consider using squared letters as against round, which are difficult to cut out, sew, and keep letter thickness equal.
Where letters are round, cut 90 degree angles on corners to 135, by snipping off corners.
best guideline for letters
A B C D E F G H J L O P Q R S T U  and all Numbers is to start with "8" template.

#####
#      #
#####
#      #
#####

to diferentiaite between S and 5 snip corners as

#####
#     
#####
       #
#####

#####
#     
####
       #
####

8 and B

###
#      #
  ###
#      #
  ###

####
#      #
####
#      #
####

hope thats clear, but if not you will get the gist once you've started
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline castleman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #75 on: June 6, 2005, 11:06:06 pm »
I'd just like to thank Roper and everyone who's posted for the excellent advice which has just helped me complete my first flag. It's nothing too complicated - red background, white writing, a liverbird in the top left, a european cup in the top right and the slogan "THE MEN OF SHANKLY'S BEST". I'd do you a piccie but I don't have a digi camera.

Quite pleased with it, but a few things I'd do differently next time:

*Use a less complicated Liverbird image. Was a nightmare to cut out and get in the right place.
*Again on images, in retrospect I think the european cup would look better with fatter arms (and maybe a dent...)
*Buy a decent pair of scissors :butt

There must be more but I can't think of them now.

Anyway, hopefully it'll make its debut next season  :D
This signature has been replaced by a PIN.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #76 on: June 7, 2005, 07:52:05 am »
*Use a less complicated Liverbird image. Was a nightmare to cut out and get in the right place.

its worth all the effort, we dont want banners with chubby ducks on
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline dann

• Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: June 7, 2005, 09:16:29 pm »
has anyone got any player faces that can be put on a flag eg.like the 23 carra gold flag

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #78 on: June 7, 2005, 09:31:15 pm »
Been meaning to say, Roper... Thanks for the stencils which you sent me ages ago, and for the invaluable advice you gave in this thread. I altered my own technique slightly, but couldn't have done it without your guidelines. I was well proud of the end result.

In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #79 on: June 7, 2005, 09:50:03 pm »
Any one know of any websites that you can get banners made cause im fucking useless and cant see me being sucessful at making my own!
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus