Author Topic: Technology Jobs  (Read 2865 times)

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
Technology Jobs
« on: January 9, 2018, 04:26:20 pm »
Hi...

I'm looking to speak to people that work in some of the most recognised technology firms and also the smaller firms...

If you work for one of these, please can you either comment on here or send me a DM...

Cheers

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Technology Jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2018, 04:42:50 pm »
Maybe I do. Perhaps a little more information may make people a little less reticent.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2018, 05:39:36 pm »
For my sins, this is me.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2018, 05:44:40 pm »
As SP said, not without more information, and what do you mean by technology firm?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:55:55 am »
...what do you mean by technology firm?

This was my first question.

And also, yeah, what's the context of the request?
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 09:18:31 am »
Reason for the question is that I am considering a new role.

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 09:33:35 am »
Only slightly delayed...by 16 months  ;D

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 05:08:01 pm »
Geezus! 16 months later and still not enough information.  I mean, what sort of job are you looking for?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 06:57:04 pm »
16 months of research, must be one hell of a job you're looking into. Where do I sign up ;D

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 07:37:59 pm »
Haha

hilarious

how did you even remember you had made this post ?? and what happened in the intervening 16 months

did you apply ??

locked up ??

so many questions

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 12:09:19 am »
I’ve a phone interview with a tech company for a data scientist role. Any tips for phone interviews? I’ve never had one.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 06:26:11 am »
Find something about the company or products they produce (if any).
I work for a chip manufacturer and we have our own ide. One phone interviewee spent 10 minutes slagging off said ide only to be told that’s what he’d be developing. Suffice to say he didn’t get a second interview.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:50 am »
I’ve a phone interview with a tech company for a data scientist role. Any tips for phone interviews? I’ve never had one.

Different type of role (I'm a front end dev!) but every one I've ever had was just a screening exercise based on the essentials from the job desc.

Google it though, you'll find loads of tips and articles. If it's a big company, have a look on glass door some people might've given info on their process.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 08:47:02 am »

I'm looking to retrain as a data scientist (via an apprenticeship) and had a phone interview a few weeks ago. It was a really simple chat about my motivations as to why I was applying, what I currently do, etc. I then had a face to face interview that was also relatively straight forward and relaxed, but went into more detail about "competencies" ::). Final stage is in a couple of weeks - a case study where they've provided some data for me to analyse and give a presentation on.

Obviously no guarantee the company you've applied for will be the same, especially if yours isn't essentially an entry level role.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 01:25:00 pm »

Make sure you use a telephonic device for the interview and not a banana

Doing this may have an impact on you being able to successfully communicate with the people performing the interview.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 09:40:45 pm »
I'm looking to retrain as a data scientist (via an apprenticeship) and had a phone interview a few weeks ago. It was a really simple chat about my motivations as to why I was applying, what I currently do, etc. I then had a face to face interview that was also relatively straight forward and relaxed, but went into more detail about "competencies" ::). Final stage is in a couple of weeks - a case study where they've provided some data for me to analyse and give a presentation on.

Obviously no guarantee the company you've applied for will be the same, especially if yours isn't essentially an entry level role.

I'm essentially doing the same as you, just done a year of Big Data and HPC MSc. It's entry level with two rotations of 9 months before the full role. Quite a large company offering free standby and premium standby flights as the perks.

Thanks Claire, also.

And thanks, Andy, i'll try not to do that :lmao

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 10:23:14 am »
Think I might have seen it advertised! Good luck! When's the phone interview?
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 01:14:37 pm »
Just out of interest, where are you looking out for these 'apprenticeship' type roles? I'm looking at doing something similar myself in software development and am flying solo currently, so don't have a ton of resources to reference.

I set up a couple of email alerts on Indeed and also the government website (https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch). I have managed to find one that is relatively well paid (for an apprenticeship), but many of them are very low pay. I know you're probably in a similar position to me that you're looking at taking a step down to take a step forward, so you'll probably just sit tight and wait for the right opportunity. I've found one that will pay not too much less than what I earn now (which isn't a lot, to be fair ;D), and there are others in the same bracket (but in London, so not as attractive financially). Set up an alert and see what happens :wave

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 01:36:02 pm »
Just out of interest, where are you looking out for these 'apprenticeship' type roles? I'm looking at doing something similar myself in software development and am flying solo currently, so don't have a ton of resources to reference.

You seen the Guardian's scheme?

https://workforus.theguardian.com/jobs/kin0001nh/

They also put out an article on applying to them: https://www.theguardian.com/info/2019/apr/26/applying-to-the-guardians-digital-department
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:39:01 pm by Claire. »

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 02:10:48 am »

My potential role is a graduate role but I’ve had to do an MSc in a CS based course to “convert” (and to be a graduate). Starting salary is £30K, so it’s a paycut, but just 1-2 years experience can increase that dramatically. 

A “talent acquisition” consultant at the ONS/OSS keeps badgering me via LinkedIn, and now email, to apply for a role with the govt too for some reason. I might do so, but has anyone had any involvement with these headhunters and does it make it more likely to be successful, or are they just glorified recruitment consultants?

Thanks Rhi - it’s this Friday.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 07:37:19 am »
LinkedIn is a necessary evil but stack overflow jobs is loads better and when you're not looking their tools to shield you are actually effective, you don't get hassled.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 07:32:44 pm »
Thanks Rhi - it’s this Friday.

How did it go?

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 05:08:27 pm »
How did it go?

It went ok. I’m not going to go further though as the location isn’t ideal, as I need to think about my partner and her career too.

I’ve a video interview for a phd studentship at the Uni of Liverpool next week...

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »
Thanks for the kind replies to my query by the way. Going to be incredibly difficult to jump out of my current employment (and income, and the commitments that come with it and location) at the moment, so I think I'll keep plodding on with the distance coding learning for the time being and maybe over-egg my Linkedin and CV a little bit to see if it triggers any recruitment data mining.

There’s plenty of decent online courses. Also, for coding, it’s all about practice. Try different languages, at least one low and one high level.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 6, 2019, 03:28:23 pm »
I just had a Skype interview. Anyone else had an interview that way? Far less nerve wracking knowing you could 'accidentally' cut off the stream if it was going really bad.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 7, 2019, 06:25:34 am »
I just had a Skype interview. Anyone else had an interview that way? Far less nerve wracking knowing you could 'accidentally' cut off the stream if it was going really bad.
yes for a company in Australia, quite glad as the person who would be my boss seemed alright in a phone interview but was a massive twat on the Skype interview