Author Topic: Disney Theme Parks  (Read 40901 times)

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Walt Disney World, Florida
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2013, 09:04:48 am »
Really appreciate all the advice. Over 15 months of saving and it's 5 days away. I'm more excited than my kids!

Most things planned, places to eat booked. Folk weren't wrong when they said places book up fast! We've got where we want to go booked, and allowed lots of rest time for the kids too.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2013, 11:15:27 am »
perfect time of year for it. low 80's during the day and drops to between 60 and 70 at night.  there may be some rain but you can say that any time of year here.

enjoy...

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2013, 06:18:05 pm »
So jealous!  Only been to Disneyland - love what they do to Haunted Mansion for Halloween so dont miss that.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:37 pm »
Went to Tokyo Disneyland a month ago thought the Pirates of the Caribbean animatronics was awesome!
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2013, 06:41:55 pm »
Another place to try while in Orlando is Teak Neighborhood Grill.  Its a sports bar with food and popular with locals.  Plenty of craft beer to try and some amazing burgers.

When you are at the florida mall dander around the foodcourt and try the samples - bourbon chicken is lovely.  The Five Guys burger bar at florida mall was very good.

Re Tony Romas if you go on a Monday night it is all you can eat ribs - its not on the menu , you have to ask the server when ordering.

Buffet breakfast wise we preferred Golden Corral to Sizzler or Ponderosa or denny's.  If you want a quaint breakfast have a look at cracker barrel

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2013, 09:05:20 pm »
I go in 4 weeks, got most of it sorted and lots of discounts so have saved a lot of money.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »
We're going for 2 weeks at the end of Feb beginning of March and I cant wait.

Staying in Caribbean Beach Resort with the Dining Plan. Anybody got any restaurant recomemndations? We've only booked Fulton Crab so far.

Going to book our Discovery Cove tickets in the next couple of weeks too

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2013, 03:23:47 pm »
We're going for 2 weeks at the end of Feb beginning of March and I cant wait.

Staying in Caribbean Beach Resort with the Dining Plan. Anybody got any restaurant recomemndations? We've only booked Fulton Crab so far.

Yeah, don't book Fultons Crab House. Never heard anything good. I'm 99% sure it doesn't accept the dining plan.
We've had the dining plan twice now, good value when it's free but don't forget you'll still need to budget for tips which aren't included and can add up even when the meal is 'free'.

How many of you are there? Kids? What kind of food do you like?
Character buffets are great for kids to meet characters without the queuing, Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary Resort is a good choice there, as is Crystal Palace in the Magic kingdom.

There's some fun restaurants in Hollywood studios such as 50s Prime Time Cafe and The Sci fi diner, all of which have a great themes and not bad food

I find disney food a bit average most of the time to be honest, with a few exceptions like.

The signature restaurants have some good food (Jiko at the Animal Kingdom lodge and Le Cellier in Epcot are pretty great) but will cost you two credits from your dining plan each

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2013, 04:06:31 pm »
Yeah, don't book Fultons Crab House. Never heard anything good. I'm 99% sure it doesn't accept the dining plan.
We've had the dining plan twice now, good value when it's free but don't forget you'll still need to budget for tips which aren't included and can add up even when the meal is 'free'.

Character buffets are great for kids to meet characters without the queuing, Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary Resort is a good choice there, as is Crystal Palace in the Magic kingdom.

There's some fun restaurants in Hollywood studios such as 50s Prime Time Cafe and The Sci fi diner, all of which have a great themes and not bad food

I find disney food a bit average most of the time to be honest, with a few exceptions like.

The signature restaurants have some good food (Jiko at the Animal Kingdom lodge and Le Cellier in Epcot are pretty great) but will cost you two credits from your dining plan each

Oh really? We'd heard good things about Fulton's. It does accept the dining plan though, I just double checked.

It's just me and the girlfriend going. Not got a particular preference food wise. We've had a look on tripadvisor at some restaurant so need to start making reservations.

Yeah we dont mind doing a couple of the signature ones as we'll be doing days out so there'll be some days we'll be using 0 credits

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2013, 04:15:09 pm »
Yeah when we had two weeks of free dining we are offsite a few nights and did some signatures.

The newly renovated California Grill might be a good choice and has an incredible view of the fireworks (even if your reservation isn't at the time of the display, they will let you up to see them from the viewing platform if you've eaten there or will eat there that day).
Same for Narcoosees at the Grand Floridian, they dim the lights and pipe the music in while the fireworks are on.

Youve got the full dining plan right? I know disney changed over to only offering the quick service one recently

EDIT where did you check about Fultons?
It's not on the list of locations for next year
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2014Dining.pdf

Although the downtown disney and Epcot restaurants never commit to the plan til nearer the time as many are run by third parties
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:18:37 pm by TheKid. »

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2013, 04:24:19 pm »
We were after a restaurant with a view of the fireworks too, i'll have to look into that.

We have the standard dining plan, including 1 table service meal.

I downloaded the disney app for my phone and searched for it and went to make a reservation and it come up saying 'dining plans accepted'.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2013, 04:27:06 pm »

Yes...for the kids...

Coral Reef in Epcot has been good when I've been, and it's got a huge fish tank which is nice viewing while you eat.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2013, 04:32:38 pm »
Yes...for the kids...

Coral Reef in Epcot has been good when I've been, and it's got a huge fish tank which is nice viewing while you eat.

Yeah, erm the kids. I've actually never done those with our son, we went for a change and went to 1900 Park Fare, bad choice. Avoid.
We were after a restaurant with a view of the fireworks too, i'll have to look into that.

I downloaded the disney app for my phone and searched for it and went to make a reservation and it come up saying 'dining plans accepted'.

Yeah this year was the first year Fultons has been on it I think, as a two credit meal too.
The app won't be up to date with what's on next year yet so although it's quite likely I wouldn't guarantee it 100% - we went to do Beaches and cream last time (at the beach club) and it was not on the plan, even though it had been the time before and was even on the list of accepted restaurants earlier this year.

I'm a buffet fan (though my missus isn't) and enjoyed Boma at AKL as well as Tusker house at AK theme park.

The food at the new splitsville bowling alley is meant to be good and was on the plan this year (again though as per that pdf it's not confirmed for next year)

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2013, 04:40:29 pm »
I recommend Tusker House in Animal Kingdom for character meet as well.

Oh, and Cinderella's castle. Costs double, but you eat in the castle, get a pic and a show during dinner. It's great. For the kids, obviously.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2013, 04:41:52 pm »
Only problem with Coral Reef and Cinderellas Royal Table is they use prime locations to overcharge for poor food

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2013, 04:42:44 pm »

If you don't want a full meal, you can do a desert buffet at the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party. I wanted to go on the next visit, but couldn't get a booking in time. You might get lucky if you jump on it (and you can always cancel if you change your mind).

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2013, 04:43:28 pm »
Only problem with Coral Reef and Cinderellas Royal Table is they use prime locations to overcharge for poor food
I've always felt I've got value for money at Coral Reef. Agree on Cinderella's Palace, though.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2013, 04:45:39 pm »
Coral Reef is another one I've never (bar from you ;) ) heard anything good about

Any more DCL planned king dick?

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2013, 04:49:12 pm »
Tentatively for next March, but it will be fairly last minute. Five of us now, though, so the price just shot up!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2013, 05:13:57 pm »
Tentatively for next March, but it will be fairly last minute. Five of us now, though, so the price just shot up!

Will bankrupt you in tips alone!!!
As I said before, I maintain that DCL is a far superior product than wdw

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2013, 05:24:15 pm »
You do get spoiled.

I want to try the new ships and go on the refurbed Magic.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2013, 05:26:04 pm »
The fantasy is incredible. Absolutely amazing. The fuss they made of our son was stunning too.

We are booked on the refurbed Magic for a 12 night med cruise next July

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 8, 2013, 04:15:29 pm »
Just got back from an amazing trip.

If anyone is going soon and would like some advice on the parks, restaurants etc then please ask away! I can now help like other posters have helped me!

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 8, 2013, 04:23:46 pm »
Just got back from an amazing trip.

If anyone is going soon and would like some advice on the parks, restaurants etc then please ask away! I can now help like other posters have helped me!
Are the light up ears being used yet in the parades/Fantasmic?

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 8, 2013, 05:06:47 pm »
Are the light up ears being used yet in the parades/Fantasmic?

Yes. Stood half way up Main Street for wishes fireworks and the all worked and flashed in sync with the music. Same as at the fantasmic show too

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 8, 2013, 05:17:06 pm »
Yes. Stood half way up Main Street for wishes fireworks and the all worked and flashed in sync with the music. Same as at the fantasmic show too
Great, looking forward to that. It'll cost me a bomb, but oh well.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #106 on: November 8, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »
Apparently the ADA are a bit up in arms about that Glow to the Show stuff, at least in California, with claims it could trigger epileptic fits

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #107 on: November 9, 2013, 08:37:37 pm »
Florida is another excellent place to visit

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:26 pm »
We start the drive two weeks from tomorrow. Meals booked, fast passes booked and we got these in the post yesterday :)

We are telling the kiddos Xmas morning that we are going to Disney the next day ;D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 11:39:42 pm »
Is right fella. The kids will be buzzing like mad.

Have a great time and don't whatever you do, forget to do the Harry Potter and Simpsons rides.

The Harry potter ride being the only ride I've ever had to be checked for being a safe size, on the test seats outside the castle. Apparently "sir" looked a bit wide. The cheeky c*nt! ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2013, 08:39:28 am »
Boss that King Richard!

Ha saw loads of people being turned away from Harry Potter after failing the outside seat test

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2013, 09:04:34 am »
We've got a few of our restaurants booked (Fultons as previously mentioned, Aloha Dinner Show, T-Rex, Shula's Steak House and going to book the California Grill at the weekend) and then just going to play it by ear. I didn't realise how quick they book up, no spots left for lunch or dinner at Be Our Guest

Just need to book our Universal tickets and then plan our days

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2013, 09:53:35 am »
Yeah popular and smaller restaurants book up ages in advance.
You can still to a walk up for lunch at Be Our Guest can't you? It's counter service not table service (well it's kind of a hybrid where you order and they bring it to your table) but the queues for lunch were huge about an hour before the place even opened when we were there in April.

Good choice on Shulas, we had our wedding meal there, superb place

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:09 am »
Yeah popular and smaller restaurants book up ages in advance.
You can still to a walk up for lunch at Be Our Guest can't you? It's counter service not table service (well it's kind of a hybrid where you order and they bring it to your table) but the queues for lunch were huge about an hour before the place even opened when we were there in April.

Good choice on Shulas, we had our wedding meal there, superb place

Yeah I think you can walk up but as you say I have read that it can take up to a couple of hours.

Shula's looks really nice. Did you go to the California Grill? The food looks amazing but the portions looks rather small so i'm wondering if its worth 2 credits

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2013, 10:37:27 am »
We start the drive two weeks from tomorrow. Meals booked, fast passes booked and we got these in the post yesterday :)

We are telling the kiddos Xmas morning that we are going to Disney the next day ;D

Thats brilliant.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2013, 11:00:10 am »
Yeah I think you can walk up but as you say I have read that it can take up to a couple of hours.

Shula's looks really nice. Did you go to the California Grill? The food looks amazing but the portions looks rather small so i'm wondering if its worth 2 credits

Never done Cali Grill but it's probably worth the credits for the fireworks!

Don't forget some of the restaurants you have there booked aren't on the dining plan at all, like Shulas

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2013, 11:15:46 am »
Never done Cali Grill but it's probably worth the credits for the fireworks!

Don't forget some of the restaurants you have there booked aren't on the dining plan at all, like Shulas

Only just realised that it wasn't on the dining plan, cheers!

EDIT - according to the girlfriend I cancelled this the other week, now I need a good steakhouse
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:20:18 am by bruffell06 »

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:15 am »
Yachtsmans Steakhouse is on the dining plan, another 2 credit one. And it's in the same area as Shulas so if you had plans round there (boardwalk/Epcot entrance area) then they can stay the same.

Le Cellier in Epcot too is nice, but is tiny and I'm not sure it'd be worth two credits (we did it in 2010 when it was just one credit)

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
Yachtsmans looks really good and seen it get good reviews elsewhere so will probably look into booking that, cheers

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2013, 05:31:20 pm »
I used to work for Disney. The only difference between the value resorts and the moderate ones is that you get a fridge in your room. If you tell them in advance that you have medicine which you need to keep refridgerated, the value resort will put one in your room free of charge.

Always useful.

As far as restaurants go anyone eaten at Oharas i think its called in the Polynesian Resort. Amazing